• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabesque

I dunno if I missed it here but apparently Isobe Isobee Monogatari is getting an anime? What the heck is it even about I don't think anyone here is reading it unless I'm super blind.

It's a gag manga for the most part and it's rife with references to Japanese culture and ingrained in its past.

Needless to say, it's pretty hard to read it unless you are Japanese or you are knowledgeable about Japanese history. And find the series actually funny.

It's popular for a gag manga, so not as popular as the main liners in the magazine, but like Jaguar the editorial staff loves it and it had special treatment (double chapter, exempt for the rankings so it won't be cancelled &c.)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Prison School 194
Dear god, this setup for kluzt goldberg...

Tomo-chan 184

Baby Tomo looks like baby Bel.
Now both of you, hug!

Ana no Mujina

A story about a young boy who is possessed by mujina, a spirit that trick people. Now he must live as a con artist to satiate his hunger. The artwork looks great, but the case itself is okay, not something that will blow your mind. Villain is also hilariously evil and over the top.

kinger256

Yesterday wo Utatte 97-100

Only 1 volume left. The cracks are starting to break open in the main relationship. Expecting a lot of heartbreak and emotional trauma for me in the next several chapters.

I've only started reading this recently and I loved every single chapter, but I don't think I would have kept up for 15 years for this to finish.

[B

Ana no Mujina

A story about a young boy who is possessed by mujina, a spirit that trick people. Now he must live as a con artist to satiate his hunger. The artwork looks great, but the case itself is okay, not something that will blow your mind. Villain is also hilariously evil and over the top.
It's one of the most verbose series I've ever read. It's strange since Amano is such a talented artist. Rip Stealth Symphony

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
It's one of the most verbose series I've ever read. It's strange since Amano is such a talented artist. Rip Stealth Symphony

Yeah, i agree, Amano artwork is damn good, but he definitely need good author to help with his storytelling.
Stealth Symphony problem is that it put way too much character from the very beginning. I know it's Narita style to introduce a shit load of character, but it doesn't seem to work with Jump fans

upandaway

Tomo-chan 184

S2YOWFr.png

TOMO-MOM WHAT dude ok

Why would you keep that hidden for 184 strips please just bring her into this

D-Gray Man ~89

I have to say I love the Earl's design its almost perfect for the type of character he is. His design lets him be goofy and silly most of the time but once he activates his serious mode he looks like an evil monster that could destroy anyone in an instance. He makes the series for me and the story is always better when it focuses on him.

Also Allan's big hero entrance during the battle at Edo was fantastic, I live for moments like this in shonen shit.

Zweizer

Banned
Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! by Nishimori Hiroyuki

Two middle school students, Mitsuhashi and Itou, lived a normal, unremarkable life so far, but as they enter high school, they decide to have a radical change of image, and became delinquents. Similar yet different, watch as they slowly conquers their town, armed with their guts, with and flashy hairstyles!

As a mostly comedic series, the story and art are nothing to write home about, and most of the characters remain pretty static through the series. As a mostly comedic series, however, the protagonist, Mitsuhashi, is without a doubt of one of the cheapest, dirtiest, baddest, meanest, yet funniest guys around, and the various pranks and stunts he pulls off are both hilarious and impressive, if not really commendable. Without a doubt, Mitsuhashi makes the manga, and his presence is enough to make it enjoyable for all of its 38 volumes.

Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! is one of these series that aren't timeless masterpieces, but are a fairly consistent and enjoyable package that makes them fun to read and remember once in a while. If you're looking for some good mix of action and comedy in a high school setting, it should be right up your alley.

upandaway

Hero Academia

Hmm yeah that was simpler than I expected. To be honest it feels like Todoroki got a somewhat easier exam than the rest, the rest were mostly counter-matched but Todoroki can nuke in between blinks (so what's the dang point) and if anything Momo is the one who counters Aizawa, since her quirk doesn't need to be used in real time to be effective (she's like, the best student to choose against him).

LeleSocho

Banned
Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! 184
Tomo's mom is like when Tomo let her hair grow, now i'm totally ok with the fact that she decided to have cut them shorter because Tomo's mom exist now.

Also Tomo is Beelzebub

I'm Obsessed with my Little Bro! ch. 34-36
So I nearly forgot about this manga, and as it turned out translations stopped after 33 until a few weeks ago when someone else picked it up. Probably won't be coming out as rapidly as it did at the start, but hey at least it's not dead.

Big Sis and Dust are still battling for Bro's affection as always (this time during a study period), but chapter 36 has now thrown gender bending into the mix. Or at the very least a shit ton of estrogen.

Everyone in this series continues to be absolutely mental, and it's great.

Plunderer 08-10

wow suddenly got all serious and power levels, well it always has been

thought that was suddenly going towards an ending but I guess not

Nisekoi 191

Umm I know we jumped shark long ago but with these battles we might as well go full Shonen (it would be way more interesting then the so far "romance")

Boku no Hero 64

And so one has ended and others need to wrap up as well

Gintama 561

Putting to much Hype on Kagura's Dad

The three top guys fight the three former joi swordman

Shengar

Gunka no Baltzar - (Ongoing) Impression

Have I ever write am impression for Baltzar before? Think I have, but whatever.

Gunka no Baltzar is one of those rare manga where it takes a setting of a real-world like pseudo-european without any magic or fantasy stuff involved. It actually rarer since the main conflict of the story involved a lot of politicking since somehow Japanese authors wouldn't touch politics without 10 foot poles even when the setting is a fictional one. Quite strange since Romance of The Three Kingdoms is popular there and The Warring States Era basically a political hellhole.

Actually I'm reading this in a hope for a manga that have focus on military tactic and strategies battle like Kingdom or even the LoGH OVA. Well it does have some military stuffs in it, but it wasn't quite what I expected. Despite that, Gunka no Baltzar is still a good manga of its own and a worth of read if you had a similar interest in military and politics stuff.

What makes Gunka no Baltzar good then? First I think is the art. It still distinctly a modern manga in style, but it have aesthetics that works well enough with the theme of the story and the european setting itself. Nakajima Michitsune also able to create characters that very distinct to each other without relying on bizzare traits and quirks. This makes remembering characters or at least who they are to the story are much easier. Then there's character interaction, though I can't say something more of it, it's definitely decent and fun to follow each others interaction.

But to be honest though? Gunka no Baltzar have done a lot of thing inadequately that prevent itself from being great and only stuck at being decent. One of the major problem I found is how the manga lacks of characters. By characters I mean the individual, not their traits, personality, etc. For a manga that have emphasis on regional scale euro-politics, its numbers of important characters are countable by hands. The lack of supposedly important and involved characters makes the scope of the story and conflict limited. Weissen, the pseudo-German country of the manga doesn't have its chancellor revealed. Does anyone would believe the military chief of staff would reign so freely to control the country? We also hadn't see the top brass figure of neighboring countries even after escalating tension, a war, and a peace treaty. The number of parties involved is unbelievably small, even by a normal politics standard.

Nominally the number of characters is suffice, if it's not for the fact that most of them are soldiers without any political power. The only character from the main cast that should've a role and power in politics beside Baltzar is Prince August, but for story reason and the plot, even he doesn't have much on his hands when the politics portion of the story moving forward. This is why Gunka no Baltzar feels more right when the story moved its lens toward the battlefield arena since most of the main cast belong there and capable of having an actual role in it. The story becomes more engaging and the scale feels right since a lot more of characters are involved when compared to the politics field of the manga.

The lacking number of characters in the high-brass politic plays have a noticeable effect on the main character, Baltzar, namely how his role and his position within the story are not quite a match with each other. Baltzar have scored some military achievement and feats that make him recognizable by the top brass military. But his actual position does not give him any actual political power. Yet Baltzar is highly involved with the politic play , deep enough to give me an impression that the author try to turn him into a lite-Bismarck. He does all the politicking by himself though since the recent chapters revealed that the Chief of Staff doesn't actually trust him. It makes me thinking more than once that Baltzar is a masterless pawn that punching above his weight. Not in a good way since both himself and the story does not realize it and treats it as a normal thing, slowly turning him into a single character that do everything and become the sole trigger to move the plot forward.

There are some changes that the author could do and turned Gunka no Baltzar into great tier. First choice would be introducing more characters from the involved parties within politics. Second choice is changing the focus of the story no longer in the euro-politics but rather the battlefield itself. But judging from the most recent chapter, I'm doubting the author will ever share the story role of Baltzar to any other character ever. Now I'm just hoping a new war chapters would come soon already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom