• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Oct 19-25, 2009

C.T.

Dragona Akehi said:
Iwata: We don't need to advertise anything! It's a waste of money!

Hope!

Thats not true. Saw a lot of commercial in tv and was quite good. Game focused and not the we would like to play style.

Blablurn

marc^o^ said:
As a true PES fan, I hope you will buy the best version this year. You know, the one that is on wii.

i don't own a wii. so i'm waiting for the motion controller patch for the ps3 version!

bmf said:
Can you run that again with PSP as well? I should really spend the time to learn to use that site properly.
Here's everything for a 53-week 2009:
X360

cvxfreak

Just made my rounds at the usual game stores.

I have a very bad feeling about the PSPgo. Tons of stock leftover, and none getting sold in my presence. To contrast with the PS3 Slim, Black Wii and Wii/PSP price drop, systems were being sold in the evening constantly, making it easy to gauge how well they were doing. No go with PSPgo this time.

But I did see someone buy a White Wii with the MH3 White CC Pack! Legs!

onken

cvxfreak said:

I have a very bad feeling about the PSPgo. Tons of stock leftover, and none getting sold in my presence. To contrast with the PS3 Slim, Black Wii and Wii/PSP price drop, systems were being sold in the evening constantly, making it easy to gauge how well they were doing. No go with PSPgo this time.

Shock and awe.

Famitsu Software Stuff

Heart Gold and Soul Silver (3698) keep eating FireRed and LeafGreen (1558).

Okami Wii does a little better than a third of what the PS2 version did on its first week 3.5 years ago.
Wii

Having beaten the original (3159), Inazuma Eleven 2 (3720) shows no signs of stopping there.

Monster Hunter 3 (3647) has become the best-selling game to start over 500K and still not reach 1 million..

duckroll

cvxfreak said:

psp01.jpg

onken

JoshuaJSlone said:
Famitsu Software Stuff

Monster Hunter 3 (3647) has become the best-selling game to start over 500K and still not reach 1 million..

Along with Winning Eleven 9, Dynasty Warriors 5, Dissidia Final Fantasy. That's some serious front loading.

Tailzo

Usually those hardware launch photos from Japan are filled with endeless lines of people. This doesn't look good for the Go.

cvxfreak

2089vuw.png

I think MH3 is most analogous to FFIII on DS now. Both are certainly main series games, yet appear on the type of hardware they're not most popular on. Like FFIII, MH3 had to have legs in order to struggle towards the 1 Million mark. I don't think another handheld FF can break a million, perhaps with the exception of that PSP FFXIII iteration.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Blablurn said:
i don't own a wii. so i'm waiting for the motion controller patch for the ps3 version!
That would justify the wand's existence better than any other software.

gogogow

You can also have lines like these for the PSPGo. Although I doubt it will do really well in the long run. I don't think Japan (and the rest of the world) is ready for a download-only machine.

3477guh.jpg

29wnvqd.jpg

Road said:
Did Sony ever put MHP2G on the PlayStation Store?
Not in the Japanese one I think. They updated today with a good bunch of games, list here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18296767&postcount=5554
Overpriced as usual and some similar pricing on new titles which isn't totally fair when you take into account what you get.

How cool would it be if any tracker got us a monthly top10 or something...oh well, lets hope amazon.co.jp starts selling them or something.

Next prediction set so anyone can start guessing:
[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai)
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software)
Like last time: there's no need for formatting, just rounded to the thousands numbers for the week, Famitsu numbers, deadline is when Famitsu leak hits (so it doesn't interfere with the thread). Usual places to get some perspective: garaph comgnet amazon.co.jp lepton yso

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo, thanks so much for doing this. Should be fun this holiday season

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai)- 40K
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)- 25K
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)- 60K
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)- 200K
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software)- 20K

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Not in the Japanese one I think. They updated today with a good bunch of games, list here:
Overpriced as usual and some similar pricing on new titles which isn't totally fair when you take into account what you get.

How cool would it be if any tracker got us a monthly top10 or something...oh well, lets hope amazon.co.jp starts selling them or something.

Like last time: there's no need for formatting, just rounded to the thousands numbers for the week, Famitsu numbers, deadline is when Famitsu leak hits (so it doesn't interfere with the thread). Usual places to get some perspective: garaph comgnet amazon.co.jp lepton yso

First Day First Week (LTD)

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai) -- 18k 25k (50k)
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai) -- 24k 40k (160k)
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) -- 60k 110k (650k)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) -- 210k 290k (500k)
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software) -- 20k 30k (55k)

Edit: Woah, similar thoughts there schuelma. Hopefully we're right. :)

onken

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Yeah Amazon is hardly a great metric for what's hot and what's not in Japan. But anyway:

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai) - 40K
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai) - 25K
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo) - 70K
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami) - 210K
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software) - 30K

shinshero

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown (Namco Bandai)- 45K
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)- 35K
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)- 120K
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)- 210K
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes (From Software)- 30K

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm sitting out this week. I haven't the slightest clue about some of those, and the others I'd rather not look up and taint my browser history.

schuelma

onken said:
Yeah Amazon is hardly a great metric for what's hot and what's not in Japan.

I think what it is good for is for telling when a game is absolutely going to bomb (aside from extremely casual stuff). Let me put it this way- if a game isn't at the top of the charts right before its released, its usually a bomb.

schuelma

Hmm..I see I'm at the low end of M&S predictions so far. Maybe I'll be way off,but the first did 67K first week and I have a feeling the winter theme might not be as immediately appealing.

onken

schuelma said:
I think what it is good for is for telling when a game is absolutely going to bomb (aside from extremely casual stuff). Let me put it this way- if a game isn't at the top of the charts right before its released, its usually a bomb.

I suppose that's pretty fair.

5k-multipliers-c-c-c-combo break :p
[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown - 21k
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel - 14k
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - 47k
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 - 206k
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes - 27k

m.i.s.

Banned
How much does the PSP Go cost in Japan as compared to PSP-3000? When will we get the first Media Create figures for Go hardware?

With a form factor as svelte as Go, I thought the Japanese would be all over it.

duckroll

Not worth speculating for me this week. The numbers will mostly all be super low, and hence meaningless in the long run.

beast786

Not sure if posted :

Famitsu’s hardware numbers have come in a little bit later than usual this week. But here are the sales from October 19th to October 25th.

DSi – 44,000
PSP – 40,000
PS3 – 31,000
Wii – 25,000
DS Lite – 3,700
Xbox 360 – 2,800
PS2 – 2,600

For comparison’s sake, here’s how Media Create ranked the systems a few days ago:

DSi 42,199
PSP 32,865
PS3 29,977
Wii 25,917
DS Lite 6,550
Xbox 360 4,470
PS2 1,951

M.I.S. said:
How much does the PSP Go cost in Japan as compared to PSP-3000? When will we get the first Media Create figures for Go hardware?

With a form factor as svelte as Go, I thought the Japanese would be all over it.
PSP Go = 26800 yen
PSP 3k = 16800 yen

First figures should be on Thursday, but they'll only include one day of sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
dolemite said:
So what's the expected next week sales for PSP? 100 k or so?
Is this a joke or a serious question?

[NDS] Summon Night X: Tears Crown - 25.000
[NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel - 15.000
[WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - 40.000
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 - 200.000
[PS3] 3D Dot Game Heroes - 20.000

bcn-ron said:
It still assumes pre-1st-week sales are "normal". When you deal with depletion of old stock, (public knowledge of) a price-drop, (public knowledge of) a redesign, that is not the case. In those situations people hold off deliberately, or they can't find one, reducing week 0, inflating week 1, which leads to devaluation under your idea of "legs".
But I didn't use week -1. Read my post again and you'll see that for price cuts I specifically recommended the week before public knowledge of the cut as a baseline, and that's what I used. There may still be some effect from your mentioned factors (early draw down, rumors, etc.), but it's reduced. In any case, discussions about how to operationally choose the baseline are tangential to the overall point.

bcn-ron said:
This is all very academic without producing a whole lot of insight.
Sales-age ultimately relies on numeric comparisons. In the midst of a discussion about how vague the term "legs" is, I showed what I think is a simple, mathematically tractable way to quantify the term. If it produces no insight that's unfortunate, but I don't think that means my post was without merit.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
bttb said:
Famitsu

PSP go sells 28,275 units in 1 day.
Total and expected bomba. It must have been outsold from PSP-3000. I thought it would be a GB Micro bomb in Japan but things will be much worse. And the real question is: What will happen with the 150K first shipment?
Now we need the DQ IX LTD update from Famitsu.

slaughterking said:
That is 28k digitaly sold copies we have to add to every new PSP release.

:lol Don't give anyone ideas, now...

duckroll said:
Wow, what a disaster. The launch figures for the PSP Go are on par with those of the Wonderswan Crystal! :lol

Ouch.

It will be interesting to see if the system will be tracked separately or whether it will be wrapped into the PSP weekly sales.

AniHawk

What's really weird about the PSP Go is that it's coming out at a time when Sony's really turned it around otherwise. They have good software coming out for a rebranded and affordable PS3. The PS3's marketing campaign is really good too, but the PSP Go's looks like the PSP's launch commercials from four years ago. It's like part of Sony never really left the middle of the decade when all they could do was fail at everything.

DR2K

Banned
Good numbers for PSPGo, I see 60-70k for the first week. Best time I've had with a hand held for sure.

Top Bottom