• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

sfog

borghe said:
yes, yes it is. No it's not wonder boy, but the graphics are better, music is infinitely better, and as has already been said, not crazy amounts of flicker.

Dragon's Curse also has a battery save which the SMS original lacks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Rash said:
1000 Points for ExciteBike seems a bit steep, does it not? Who was expecting more than 600 or 700 points, honestly?

I assumed 1000, it has online play. Tetris and Bomberman were both over 1000 I think.

zigg

Oli said:
I'm curious about Excitebike, but I'll wait for impressions.

As a devoted fan of modern EXCITE, I'm actually kind of wary. It doesn't sound all that much fun if it's just racing and landing. I want stars and the opportunity to do 3960° air spins.

I think "Trapy" is supposed to be Tracy. That typo and its description threw me for a bit, I thought they had a new plankton!

Fularu

Banned
Having played both WB3 and DC extensively, the SMS version is just better overall, despite beeing on older and worse hardware.

The music makes it really, flicker is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Ranger X

iiish, 1000 points is too much for some remake imo. Also, even in NES standards Excitebike was a small game. Unless this one is completely new?

I will wait for your impressions guys.

Shiggie

Ranger X said:
iiish, 1000 points is too much for some remake imo. Also, even in NES standards Excitebike was a small game. Unless this one is completely new?

it has online and a track editor.

the_painted_bird said:
Bring in the Bomberman impressions and reviews, GAF!

allow me to bolden the flaws (sorry bomberman) :(
Lil_Formers___Bomberman_by_MattMoylan.jpg

...strictly a multiplayer affair — there is no adventure mode, so the only thing you can play is the franchise's famous battle mode.

Disappointingly, the game's touted 8-player support is only available for local multiplayer — WiFi Connection games are limited to 4-player battles. To top that off, there is no Download Play game sharing support so all players need to download the game themselves.

After Bomberman Blast, Live and Ultra (for WiiWare, XBLA and PSN, respectively), Blitz noticeably goes back to the basics — there are no alternate battle modes (such as Blast's "Countdown," "King" and "Air Raid") and only six of the most well-known powerups in the series (extra bombs, extra range, extra speed, spike bombs and the ability to kick and throw bombs) make appearances.

Thankfully, other features have not been cut down at all. There are 10 arenas, each with their own gimmick (such as trapdoors, conveyor belts or an extra high amount of items) and each match is fully customizable with a multitude of settings (match time, the amount of victories required, the ability to toggle "Revenge" mode, and many more). All arenas can also be played in Large and Small sizes; Large (arenas) ones are spread across the DSi's two screens and allow you to walk between them. This tends to get rather annoying, however, as explosions also carry over to the other screen, meaning you have to keep an eye on both screens the whole time. This sounds easy, but in practice, it's almost impossible, especially with a full eight players running around.

The music is pretty disappointing. Just like in Blast, Hudson Soft has opted to use the rather forgettable music from Bomberman Generation, rather than the classic themes everybody knows and loves. The graphics are all completely 2D and look pretty good, if obviously not truly impressive. Bomberman himself still has his more recent "long-legged" design, which looks a bit weird in 2D, but it's nothing complaint-worthy.

Conclusion

For 500 DSi Points, there's no denying that those wanting a cheap, portable version of Bomberman's battle mode will love this. If you have no desire for portability and already own one of the many other games in the series, though, then it might be best to just forget this one, or wait for Bomberman Blast: Battlefest on WiiWare, which looks set to be everything Blast was and more.

7/10

Full Review:
http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/reviews/2009/11/bomberman_blitz_dsiware

maybe Nin should have added Wario in Blitz

117-1.jpg

I think maybe you guys don't like racing games. The nature of racing games was for them to be pretty brief until Gran Turismo burst on to the scene. The draw of a racing game is replayability.

levious

Ranger X said:

Seems more of a rebirth than a remake... Don't trust my impressions, I love modern EXCITE too much not to fall in love a the first "NICE LANDING" message.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
rpmurphy said:
Which Electroplankton to get? Got 700 DSi Points so only one today and Bomberman. I'm leaning towards Trapy or Beatnes.
Beatnes, definitely. Beatnes is an amazing time-waster, far and away the best segment of Electroplankton.

Protip: Press 'select' to change the base tune.

Rlan

It's actually a digital version of the Bomberman Online game that's been in numerous DS games over the past few years.

Bomberman Story:

937659_20080611_790screen014.jpg

Bomberman Land Touch!

933157_20061219_790screen001.jpg

Bomberman Land Touch! 2:

943352_20080611_790screen080.jpg

Bomberman Blitz DSi

large.jpg

My understanding is that all the DS games had the same features (4 player online, 8 player local) but also had the download play option. You would also connect directly to the same servers throughout the games - it's like that Mario Bros Battle game in all the Mario GBA games.

Rash said:
1000 Points for ExciteBike seems a bit steep, does it not? Who was expecting more than 600 or 700 points, honestly?
Considering the quarter-century-old NES version is 500 points and games like Dr. Mario RX are 1000 points, 1000 was exactly my guess.

ExciteBike will be mine!

F**k yeah! Moar Wonder Boy! MORE I SAY! I know they wont be arsed doing the arcade ones so come on C64 WB next up!

Or maybe Master System Monster World, go for the triple-threat! 3 versions of the same game on different consoles on VC! That's some SF2-esque pwnage right there. Go Wonder Boy games! :D

Kick arse week! Every game looks to be worth buying and there's plenty of releases for each service. If only every week could be this good! :D

BTW last week's Nintendo Week showed off some new gameplay details about Excitebike WR. You can perform wheelies and jump over opponents from behind and you also have the tracj deformations from Excitetruck/bots so they have added more depth to the gameplay over the original!

GeekyDad

Rash said:

I was totally expecting it to be 1000 Wii Points. Too steep, yes, I agree, but I still expected it from Nintendo.

Sad there's still no ReBirth, though. I'm so jonesing to play that game. Maybe next week...

bryehn

Excitebike is very sweet so far. Not sure I'm a fan of the isometric camera, but the game play is exactly like I remember so far, well aside from tilting to wheelie, but that totally works.

Somnid

twinturbo2 said:
So, Namco has like over two dozen VC Arcade games, when are we getting them?

I don't know. Sega and Tecmo have been timely enough, Namco-Bandai is just holding out. What's worse is they have confirmed games from March that have yet to release.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are way too hard on Excitebike. It's $10, but it's not steep. It's got a bunch of tracks and I enjoyed the hell out of it. 16 tracks, online mode and course designer? $10... that's not much.

bryehn said:
Excitebike is very sweet so far. Not sure I'm a fan of the isometric camera, but the game play is exactly like I remember so far, well aside from tilting to wheelie, but that totally works.
You can change that. Go into options menu before a race and go to "Classic" mode... it will make it side scrolling like you remember. Later you'll unlock another mode called Pro Control mode... it's a behind the racer view.

Talamius

Initial impressions of Excitebike are that it's worth it. It's a true sequel to the NES game (plays EXACTLY the same), and the track editor is a nice bonus. The online play in the couple of games I just tested out worked well and weren't laggy at all. It uses the Mario Kart system of track selection, which works. Haven't messed around with SP much yet.

So far it's worth the points.

zigg

toythatkills said:
Are any of the Electroplanktons worth getting?

I think so, if you like musical toys. San-Animalcule (not yet out) and Hanenbow (out this week) are my favorites, from the import copy of the original DS game I got way back when.

Everyone else seems to like Beatnes, and it's alright, but I got far less out of it than I did some of the others.

Loving Excitebike. Another Monster Games classic. The music made me jizz my pants. It took me back to the SNES days. Something very fresh and appealing about it.

Please, god, Nintendo- do this with Stunt Race FX.

zigg said:
As a devoted fan of modern EXCITE, I'm actually kind of wary. It doesn't sound all that much fun if it's just racing and landing. I want stars and the opportunity to do 3960° air spins.
I'd say the classic/modern split is something like 85/15? No stars or crazy tricks, but there are definitely things that come from the modern Excite games or are at least more like them:

*Courses from the same areas around the world, though they have a different look.
*Grading system with B as a pass and S as a really really pass. Just based on time, though.
*Causing other bikes to crash empties your temperature.
*Wreck/overheat and rather than tapping a button like in the NES game, you shake the remote like in Excitebots.
*There are some instances of hitting an icon and causing a hill to grow or causing a ramp to appear.
*The menu system is very much like the other Wii Excite games.

GeeDuhb

Ok, so I was going to wait for impressions, but I just went ahead and bought it.

I am pretty impressed myself right now. It feels pretty fast and I love the actual turning into the lanes, rather than just "jumping" suddenly.

Online is really streamlined. You select random or friends, and you jump right in. Connection is pretty fast, and you are put into a lobby of up to 4 people. Everyone has to ready up, which is a really cool feature. For example, if two people are in a lobby and both ready up, you can start and race against each other. You can chose not to ready, and have it find more people (the more people, the more points up for grabs.) There is a two minute timer, and after that it will auto start. No having to wait forever for it to try to find four people, allah MK:DS.

Really impressed so far!

Someone should start a thread on the matchmaking board to put FC's in. Mine is 3180 6135 1460 . Let me know if you add me, and I will add you as well.

levious

GeeDuhb said:
You can't anyway. You have to be a "member" to post new threads.

I think he just meant he's too lazy to bother entering in friend codes

Hanenbow is the stage that's in Smash Bros., and it's also one of the top Electroplankton music creators.

Nanocarp is probbly my favorite. Its cool how you can draw a picture or write a word and hear it translate into music. Besides that it has the most creative freedom.

Still, the real fun of Electroplankton is recording different sound tools on top of one another in a program like Garageband.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A good chance this is old, but I just got back from Toys R' Us and took one of the posters they were handing out for there Pokemon Event, says that Pokemon Rumble comes out on the 16th, so next week. :D

bryehn

Big_T said:
BIT.TRIP BEAT Update available now

The update includes some changes to the level unlocking scheme as well as general game functionality improvements
http://www.gaijingames.com/?p=963

i hope its easier now

Awesome, too distracted by Excitebike to check it out now though.

Kinda sucks that there isn't an option to download random tracks from people though, would be awesome if you could upload to a central server/rank/etc. like say, LittleBigPlanet.

Top Bottom