• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

zigg

AlphaTwo00 said:
Actually, I believe this is by design, and it's one of the key things people talk about with UI design when it comes to mouse like interfaces. Because of having multiple confirms screens, many people just click without looking.

I'm sure you're right, but it strikes me the better thing to do would be to move the confirm-buy and cancel buttons to a different region of the screen entirely.

zigg said:
I'm sure you're right, but it strikes me the better thing to do would be to move the confirm-buy and cancel buttons to a different region of the screen entirely.
Hopefully the next update.

One thing I just noticed: The Nintendo Recommend screen also had the same thing for "submit", but I guess that was recently updated so that it's on the right side (was left side before, causing me to re-enter the survey... :lol )

andymcc

Banned
Walk-Out Basements said:
JUMPIN JEHOSHAPHAT! Nintendo released a shmup - of the bullet hell kind -called Aa Mujou Setsuna they share credits with Arika - creators of the original Street Fighter 2, Dr Mario online rx and Endless Ocean series. it was released on DSi ware in japan earlier this year

146451-shmuppo.jpg

dont know how this one slipped the radar

this looks pretty cool. you might also want to mention that Arika also did really amazing ports of Cave's DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou and Espgaluda for PS2.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Damn is the DSi shop cleverly evil. Entering Credit card information is incredibly easy, most stuff is priced really low, and the stuff is priced in ways which make it so you will almost alway have a small bit of points left on your account.

Got Boxlife (not to trilled with to be honest), Dragon Quest Wars (Alright so far, still need to finish up the tutorial stages though), Mario VS DK (Fun little game, I don't know how much I am going to play it once I finish all the stages and get gold on them, but it is fun), and I just got anther 1000 points so I can get Pictobits.

I do like the little animation too when downloading, are those the sprites from Super Mario Advance?

Also, any good 200 point games? And how is the Puzzle League game?

Jazzem

Drkirby said:
Damn is the DSi shop cleverly evil. Entering Credit card information is incredibly easy, most stuff is priced really low, and the stuff is priced in ways which make it so you will almost alway have a small bit of points left on your account.

Got Boxlife (not to trilled with to be honest), Dragon Quest Wars (Alright so far, still need to finish up the tutorial stages though), Mario VS DK (Fun little game, I don't know how much I am going to play it once I finish all the stages and get gold on them, but it is fun), and I just got anther 1000 points so I can get Pictobits.

I do like the little animation too when downloading, are those the sprites from Super Mario Advance?

Shame you don't like Boxlife :( I loved it at first, but I have to admit it's hard to go back to after a while due to having to remember so many box patterns. Pictobits (or PiCOPiCT as it's called here in EU) is excellent though, enjoy it :D And I'd encourage you to download stages on MvDK, gives the game tons of replay value.

Drkirby said:
Also, any good 200 point games? And how is the Puzzle League game?

Nothing too essential, but I had a lot of fun with Paper Plane, speaking as someone who had played the one on GBA Wario Ware (the DSi one is an improvement over it). 2-in-1 Solitaire is a WYSIWYG affair, but it's nice enough.

I haven't played the DSiWare Puzzle League, but I love the cart version, and the downloadable version seems to be missing some of its best modes sadly. I'd recommend tracking down the cart instead unless you really want built-in Puzzle League (which admittedly is a tempting proposition :))

Jazzem

Hope we get a good EU/AU update tonight. DSi Uno (which I might pick up) and Ninja Gaiden (arcade) are going up according to nintendo.co.uk. Wonder if we'll ever get the NES NG sequels in PAL...

A Twisty Fluken said:
Pyoro/bird and beans was worth way more to me than the $2 I paid. I sank so much time into that thing this year...

If I ever have a spare 200 points handy I'll give it a download :) Liked it on GBA, but not as much as Paper Plane and the DSi version doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement. Still, 200 points can't go wrong right?

Jazzem said:
Hope we get a good EU/AU update tonight. DSi Uno (which I might pick up) and Ninja Gaiden (arcade) are going up according to nintendo.co.uk. Wonder if we'll ever get the NES NG sequels in PAL...

If I ever have a spare 200 points handy I'll give it a download :) Liked it on GBA, but not as much as Paper Plane and the DSi version doesn't seem to be that much of an improvement. Still, 200 points can't go wrong right?

Yeah, it's pretty much just a touched up port. Hit just that right spot for me, though. Paper Plane didn't click with me the same way, though I liked it well enough. Admittedly I didn't really play much of either on the GBA, so.

Capndrake

EU update:

Virtual Console:
-Ninja Gaiden (Arcade, 800 points, Tecmo)

WiiWare:
-My Zoo (500 points, Hudson Soft)
-Rock 'n Roll Climber (800 points, Nintendo)

DSiWare:
-A Little Bit of... Nintendo Touch Golf (800 points, Nintendo)

Capndrake said:
I totally forgot that even existed. I know its "only" been 3 months since the US release but despite its unveiling at the GDC keynote it is still an extremely low-key title (despite being one of the handful of Nintendo published titles on the service).

Doesn't fill me with confidence that Excitebike will be sooner rather than later either...then again Excitebike seems to be a fairly big WiiWare title in America (given how it was revealed and pushed).

Jazzem

Boo :(

I do have the cart of Touch Golf and it's not a bad game, though I'll stick with it. Hopefully for those interested they haven't cut too much for the download version, it is 800 points after all...

Conrad Link said:
Who knows how Nintendo works with this stuff, why did they skip over Pilotwings 64? *shrugs* Because it was made by another developer? Surely they own it.

yeah but that was the same song that was sung during the N64 era. Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pilotwings, Excitebike got updated but no love for Metroid since Super NES. It wasnt until Retro retro-fitted their original non-Metroid game to adopt the Metroid franchise for GCN.
Punch Out was skipped in the last gen but returned. I find that some Nin franchises may be forgotten by Nin but never left 4 dead.

bon said:
This doesn't quite fit into either of those categories, but suddenly I really want Metal Combat to be the next WiiWare revival game.
Not this. I want BattleClash instead ;)
This game doesn't get enough love. I mean it was only made by Gunpei Yokoi himself besides having interesting mech designs and music and strategy and i just like blowing up giant standing tanks. If it happens, hopefully they do it right (multiplayer/online play is a must), and it can be Nintendo's answer to Virtual On.

logo.png

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Has anyone tried "Aha! I Got It!" Escape Game?

It looks like a standard "escape the locked room" mini-adventure game, which makes me tempted to try it for 500 points.

Mega Mike

Banned
There is not much time left for Cave Story. And is anyone pissed at them trying to milk the game out and have DLC for seperate things? I hate when online games do that. Just include it all.

Mega Man 9 was an exception. Cause its Mega Man.

[Nintex]

Capndrake said:
EU update:

Virtual Console:
-Ninja Gaiden (Arcade, 800 points, Tecmo)

WiiWare:
-My Zoo (500 points, Hudson Soft)

DSiWare:
-A Little Bit of... Nintendo Touch Golf (800 points, Nintendo)
Damn, no Moonwalker or ExciteBike makes me sad :(

Jethro said:
Wow, that's really...shit.

silent, you!

grabbed "Ninja Gaiden"(i love sidescrolling beat'em ups) and it's still awesome. will go through it tomorrow again with my buddy in 2 player mode.

also downloaded "Touch Golf" for DSi(ware). It's pretty good so far but I almost dropped my stylus into the toilet when playing it :/

don't know if I should grab "RnR Climber". have to read some impressions first

iamaustrian said:
silent, you!

grabbed "Ninja Gaiden"(i love sidescrolling beat'em ups) and it's still awesome. will go through it tomorrow again with my buddy in 2 player mode.

also downloaded "Touch Golf" for DSi(ware). It's pretty good so far but I almost dropped my stylus into the toilet when playing it :/

don't know if I should grab "RnR Climber". have to read some impressions first

Rock 'N Roll Climber is - so far - pretty odd, but quite fun. You're expected to control each of the climber's four limbs using a combination of motion and button presses/releases, and while it feels a little like rubbing your belly and patting your head at first, it does click into a kind of rhythm after a while, and it becomes quite satisfying to move from hold to hold.

It's a fairly basic package in terms of content, but the core gameplay is odd, challenging and quite fun. Definitely worth a peek!

Cosmonaut X said:
Rock 'N Roll Climber is - so far - pretty odd, but quite fun. You're expected to control each of the climber's four limbs using a combination of motion and button presses/releases, and while it feels a little like rubbing your belly and patting your head at first, it does click into a kind of rhythm after a while, and it becomes quite satisfying to move from hold to hold.

It's a fairly basic package in terms of content, but the core gameplay is odd, challenging and quite fun. Definitely worth a peek!

oh wow that sounds odd :lol
I will dld it later.

thanx for impressions

has it anything to do with the old arcade game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJAEmOtLZHg

iamaustrian said:
oh wow that sounds odd :lol
I will dld it later.

thanx for impressions

has it anything to do with the old arcade game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJAEmOtLZHg

No, it doesn't really have anything to do with it (aside from being about climbing!).

To give you a little more detail on the controls/game:

Your climber has to ascend a wall by moving their hands and feet from hold to hold. Some holds will crumble, some can't fit your feet etc. so you have to plan your route with that in mind.

You hold the Remote and nunchuk vertically in front of you and hold down the Z and B buttons to "grip" with your hands. If you release these, your climber will let go of a hold. Your feet automatically "grip" the holds, but you can release them by pressing A and C. Each hand and foot can be gripped/released individually so you have control over all four limbs at once.

You ascend the wall by releasing your grip on a hand or foot and tilting the Remote/nunchuk to reach for another grip. As you tilt, a target will move allowing you to select the next hold. You have limited strength to hold, so from the moment you take a new grip a meter starts counting down, giving you a time limit after which you lose your grip and have to quickly grab a new hold. So, you are under pressure to move quickly from hold to hold, ascending the wall.

That would be easy if it wasn't for the fact that you are asked to control each limb while doing so, and as you stretch further up the wall with your arms and take new holds, you have to remember to do the same with your legs. You can quickly tie yourself in knots (literally - the game has a limited ragdoll system, and if you kink your arms and legs over and around each other you will get some horrible limb contortions and unpleasant cracking sounds!) and you need to remain calm, making quick, considered moves to ascend the wall and retain your grip.

It sounds very complicated, and it is quite hard at first but once you understand how the system works and put a little practice in it becomes quite fun. I'm not entirely sold on the motion-sensing yet, but it seems to work well and it may just be my own inability to tilt and grip and move smoothly betwen the two that's making the motion controls feel a little awkward, but I'd need more time with the game to be sure.

For the 800 points it goes for, I think it's worth a look though.

Somnid

Japan is also getting for DSiWare:

GG Series: Tetsubo
GG Series: Drift Circuit
Art Academy Semester 1 & 2

No Wiiware.

andymcc

Banned
radcliff said:
Hopefully they will also release the Genesis version of Super SF II the same day so we can finally get all the console SF2 games out of the way and start with the arcade versions.

:lol

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Battle Clash as an answer to Virtual On.

What the fuck?

don't know how i missed that. :lol

gogojira

Am I a bad person for wanting Virtual Boy in all of its bright red goodness to be on the VC? Come on, Mario Tennis, Galactic Pinball, Red Alarm and Telero Boxer. Who doesn't want Telero Boxer?

It'll never happen, but I wish it would. :p

Davey Cakes

It would certainly be interesting to see how Virtual Boy games would be adapted to a TV screen.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing my favorite Virtual Boy games on the VC. Mario Clash, Mario Tennis, Wario Land, and Nester's Funky Bowling are all fun games that I could see myself potentially paying five or six bucks for.

gogojira

Rash said:
It would certainly be interesting to see how Virtual Boy games would be adapted to a TV screen.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing my favorite Virtual Boy games on the VC. Mario Clash, Mario Tennis, Wario Land, and Nester's Funky Bowling are all fun games that I could see myself potentially paying five or six bucks for.

I never got around to playing Mario Clash or Wario Land, and I wanted them both. Put 'em up for $5 and I'd be down. Wario Land is supposed to be excellent, isn't it?

zigg

Rash said:

What's the VB's res? Could put them on DSiWare.

I would think most of them could just be "render the left screen" and they could be done with it.

Davey Cakes

gogojira said:
I never got around to playing Mario Clash or Wario Land, and I wanted them both. Put 'em up for $5 and I'd be down. Wario Land is supposed to be excellent, isn't it?
Yeah, Wario Land was a lot of fun.

zigg said:

I would think most of them could just be "render the left screen" and they could be done with it.
With DSiWare, one eye could be rendered on one screen and the other eye could be rendered on the other screen.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
zigg said:

They could, you know, just flat out redo them. In color and such, with propperly fitting sprites...

Agent X

sfog said:
Street Fighter II: Champion Edition (TG16 import) for Monday.

http://vc-pce.com/usa/e/index.html

That's cool, since this game was never officially released in the US. It's interesting to note that they don't appear to be rearranging the bosses' names to match the other US Street Fighter games, instead preserving the Japanese naming conventions.

Cherubae

According to Natsume's facebook page, Harvest Moon: My Little Shop will be released on the 23rd. They didn't mention how many points it will cost though.

Rlan

I find it kind of funny that IGN has now started to go back and review WiiWare games they missed from 3-4 months ago, even a year ago with Family Tennis.

They're all being done by a Lucas M. Thomas. Is he just a freelance dude who found a niche to fill within IGN or did IGN Wii get a large Holiday budget to review games and have less games to review than their Xbox 360 / PS3 cousins?

sfog

Cherubae said:
According to Natsume's facebook page, Harvest Moon: My Little Shop will be released on the 23rd. They didn't mention how many points it will cost though.

It's 1500 in Japan, so we'll just have to see whether they change it for the US or not.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cherubae said:

Is it a "regular" HM game or just a little side-game?

sfog

It seems more like a side game. Per the ESRB: "This is a simulation game in which players assume the role of a young child who is sent to help manage her grandparents' shop. Players can grow fruits and vegetables, make ice cream cones, and decorate eggs to sell at the shop."

Rash said:
Considering they were monochrome rather than full color, this is actually an instance where cheapo colored lens glasses would work well.

Here's such an emulated shot from Wikipedia:
Mario%27s_Tennis_screenshot.png

ksamedi

I just saw the demo versions of Bit Trip and Nyx quest on the European Wiiware channel. Downloaded them and played them and liked them both. Especialy Nyx quest. I think this will help sales immensely. When you finish the demo version, the channel loads up and goes to the purchase screen and I purchased them. I hope they make demo's for more Wiiware games.

ksamedi said:
I just saw the demo versions of Bit Trip and Nyx quest on the European Wiiware channel. Downloaded them and played them and liked them both. Especialy Nyx quest. I think this will help sales immensely. When you finish the demo version, the channel loads up and goes to the purchase screen and I purchased them. I hope they make demo's for more Wiiware games.

Do they say if the demos are up only for a limited time?

Edit: By the way, the ESRB, USK, and Aussie COB rated a Wii game called Power Punch, it's published by XS Games, and it's even apparently being developed by Grand Prix, makers of Victorious Boxers Revolution for Wii. It seems to be only speculation that it'll be for WiiWare, but I wouldn't doubt it'll be for retail.

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/10/are_victorious_boxer_developer.php

Top Bottom