• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

levious said:
I think he just meant he's too lazy to bother entering in friend codes

Yup. Worst system ever. I want to play with randoms and if I like how they play, add them to my list. Yes, I am the only wii gamer in my group of real life friends. :(

GeeDuhb

malingenie said:
Yup. Worst system ever. I want to play with randoms and if I like how they play, add them to my list. Yes, I am the only wii gamer in my group of real life friends. :(

Ah, gotcha. I hate it too. That is why I now rarely play Wii games online :lol . I don't really care though...considering I have a PS3 and 360 as well :p

bryehn said:
Awesome, too distracted by Excitebike to check it out now though.

Kinda sucks that there isn't an option to download random tracks from people though, would be awesome if you could upload to a central server/rank/etc. like say, LittleBigPlanet.
Or using them in multiplayer. The file size must be pretty small; it wouldn't be a problem to send it to 1-3 people. Of course, we might then spend a fair amount of time playing shitty tracks. Thooooough I must've played Bronze Mexico ten times today due to people jumping straight into multiplayer, so that might've been a welcome change of pace.

I've been playing as JOSHUA, but somehow I doubt I've got a monopoly on that name.

Josh7289

Excitebike: World Rally looks good, so this is the first WiiWare title I'll be buying after a long, long time. Unfortunately it highlighted all the problems with Nintendo's download service:

1) Have to buy points in blocks. So I get into the Wii Shop Channel, and see that I have 600 Wii Points. All right, I know I have to buy more points in set blocks, but the lowest is 1000 points. Really? I only need $4 worth, but I have to buy $10? I would have preferred and been fine with a 500 point option.

2) Have to input your credit card information and address every single time you buy points. No, Nintendo doesn't save your information or give you the option to do that. You have to input your credit card number, expiration date, security code, city, state, zip code, and country any time you want to buy something. It really hurts the impulse purchase factor of these games if I have to crawl over to my wallet and read a bunch of numbers off of a card any time I want to try something out.

3) YES AND NO ARE REVERSED AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN. This is really the worst. Every single menu you go through up to this point has "Yes" on the right and "No" on the left, but at the very last confirmation screen, they switch them! So I instinctively press the button on the right wanting to confirm my purchase, but of course now this button is "No", so I'm taken back to the very beginning of the Add Wii Points sequence.

And to make matters worse, I have to input all my information all over again to get back to that confirmation screen (credit card number, address, etc.).

ALSO, while inputting my information this second time, I accidentally misspelled my city, and instead of being able to just go back and correct it, it gave me an authorization error and completely restarted the Wii Shop Channel!

So, finally, I got my 1000 points (for $10.70, since they charge sales tax, which isn't out of the ordinary, but wouldn't be as annoying/unexpected if they just charged real money in the first place), then went to buy Excitebike. It turns out they don't tell you how many blocks the game takes up until the final confirmation screen before you buy it, which wasn't a problem for me this time, but I can see it being extremely annoying to go through all these screens then be told you can't buy the game because you don't have enough space, then having to exit all the way back to the Wii System Menu to free up some space. Maybe it's possible to pop in an SD card while you're still at the Wii Shop Channel if it turns out you're out of space on your Wii, but I'm not sure... And even in that case, loading games off the SD card is slower than loading them off the Wii's internal memory, so I'd still rather download my new game on the faster internal memory directly.

Anyway, that's my rant. I think I'll go play the game now.

JavyOO7

Someone should make a thread on Wii Ware/VC/DSiWare recommendations (if there isn't already). It'd help me plenty. =p

(Excitebike so far is really fun. Recommended.)

Josh7289 said:
2) Have to input your credit card information and address every single time you buy points. No, Nintendo doesn't save your information or give you the option to do that. You have to input your credit card number, expiration date, security code, city, state, zip code, and country any time you want to buy something. It really hurts the impulse purchase factor of these games if I have to crawl over to my wallet and read a bunch of numbers off of a card any time I want to try something out.

what?
this is not true, dude

Big_T said:
BIT.TRIP BEAT Update available now

The update includes some changes to the level unlocking scheme as well as general game functionality improvements
http://www.gaijingames.com/?p=963

i hope its easier now
I was actually able to beat all the levels without too much difficulty, it's Core I'm having trouble with. You miss one, you likely fuck up enough to die right away. In Beat, I thought, there were much better chances for recovery.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Somnid said:
I don't know. Sega and Tecmo have been timely enough, Namco-Bandai is just holding out. What's worse is they have confirmed games from March that have yet to release.
Yeah, I just want Splatterhouse Arcade, Cyber Sled and Starblade already.

Big_T

lordoftherink said:
I was actually able to beat all the levels without too much difficulty, it's Core I'm having trouble with. You miss one, you likely fuck up enough to die right away. In Beat, I thought, there were much better chances for recovery.
Finally i finished the first level, but i played the game 3 time before

Im going to skip core and get void on Nov 23

zigg

iamaustrian said:
what?
this is not true, dude

It is in the U.S. (at least) if you're buying points with a CC through the Shop Channel or DSi Shop. It's not true if you use Points Cards.

Nicktals

Banned
Really digging Excitebike...I mean, it's about what you'd expect. But I hadn't played the original in so long it's fun anyways.

S Ranked all the Bronze races on my first try, but didn't get a single S on silver my first try. Going to have to practice up a bit before I take it online I think! Has anyone started the FC thread yet? (haven't checked the match-up forum yet)

Josh7289

Excitebike is pretty good. Simple racing fun.

And I was doing really well online with random people. :D

A weird thing I noticed is that choosing random course online almost always results in it choosing Bronze: Kyoto.

(oh, but the original Japanese Nintendo logo (任天堂) in the Kyoto course is a nice touch)

There's no local multiplayer, though, which is kind of disappointing. I'm sure split screen would have worked fine.

JKTrix

+1 for positive Excitebike impressions. Played a few games online with some randoms, quite fun. I never played any of the prior games.

Excitebike's really good! Was worth the hassle of updating all my IOSes and stuff so I could buy it. It is fun to hump your opponent to take the lead!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Josh7289 said:
3) YES AND NO ARE REVERSED AT THE CONFIRMATION SCREEN. This is really the worst. Every single menu you go through up to this point has "Yes" on the right and "No" on the left, but at the very last confirmation screen, they switch them! So I instinctively press the button on the right wanting to confirm my purchase, but of course now this button is "No", so I'm taken back to the very beginning of the Add Wii Points sequence.
I've definitely been burned on this one.

zigg said:
It is in the U.S. (at least) if you're buying points with a CC through the Shop Channel or DSi Shop. It's not true if you use Points Cards.

Really? Here in Europe you only have to input your card number and CVC code and you're set to go.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't like only being able to buy points in 1000 blocks, 500 option would have been nice.

I do like the re-entering of info as I don't want a bunch of drunk friends "Demoing" everything on XBLA like what happened to my friend.

It was only $200 worth of games when everyone woke up in the morning, but man were there some shit heaps in there. :lol

zigg

FoxHimself said:
Really? Here in Europe you only have to input your card number and CVC code and you're set to go.

Yeah, your house number and your ZIP (postal) code are part of the credit card verification.

GeekyDad

Josh7289 said:
...A weird thing I noticed is that choosing random course online almost always results in it choosing Bronze: Kyoto.

There's no local multiplayer, though, which is kind of disappointing. I'm sure split screen would have worked fine.

:lol I thought it was just me, but yeah, I noticed that too about random online races.

And I'm also very disappointed by the lack of local multiplayer. I guess maybe it would have been a tough compromise squishing the lanes into split screens, but I was kind of expecting it. Still, it's a pretty darn addictive game. Already finished all the cups. Now it's on to S ranks. (yeah, right...)

Nicktals

Banned
GeekyDad said:
:lol I thought it was just me, but yeah, I noticed that too about random online races.

And I'm also very disappointed by the lack of local multiplayer. I guess maybe it would have been a tough compromise squishing the lanes into split screens, but I was kind of expecting it. Still, it's a pretty darn addictive game. Already finished all the cups. Now it's on to S ranks. (yeah, right...)

I haven't gone online, but if it's like excitebots, it's due to bronze kyoto being one of the first (or the first) tracks. And the way it worked in excitebots is that if you choose random, it choose one player, and then selects a track from their available tracks. Basically, it happens so much right now because people immediately take the game online, before unlocking any courses.

bon

ExciteBike World Rally is the shiznit. Tilt controls work great and jumping over guys with a wheelie is delicious.

GeekyDad

Nicktals said:
I haven't gone online, but if it's like excitebots, it's due to bronze kyoto being one of the first (or the first) tracks. And the way it worked in excitebots is that if you choose random, it choose one player, and then selects a track from their available tracks. Basically, it happens so much right now because people immediately take the game online, before unlocking any courses.

Ah...that makes sense. Yeah, I went online after just a few races in the Bronze cup, so that stands to reason.

Capndrake

My Zoo is out on WiiWare this Friday in Europe, Shootanto: Evolutionary Mayhem is out next week.

Provided Hudson didn't lie to me

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Excitebike is pretty sweet. I've got 10 S rankings so far. It's making for a great pick-up-and-play title.

The completionist in me isn't looking forward to trying to get those bike color unlockables that require tons of racing against online friends. Online anyone is easy enough, but not the other.

evilromero said:
Please, god, Nintendo- do this with Stunt Race FX.

Please Nintega- do this with F-Zero AX/GX (Wi-Fi enabled Wii-make).
Never played this against a worthy opponent.

I just realized Nintendo makes some MONSTER racing games.
Stunt Race FX, Wave Race, Mario Kart, Excitebike, F-Zero...almost forgot Uniracers.
They are so prominent in the Action-Adventure-Platformer-Fitness-Life Enhancement category that anything else they do is overshadowed.

Bought Excitebike WR. Hopefully this is a start of a beautiful thing:
====================================
other potential nes games for online multiplayer:
* Ice Hockey
* Wrecking Crew
* Pro Wrestling

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Nintendo missed a good opportunity to put Excitebike 64 up on the VC along with the new Excitebike game, I just realized that!

[Nintex]

twinturbo2 said:
Nintendo missed a good opportunity to put Excitebike 64 up on the VC along with the new Excitebike game, I just realized that!
Iwata hates the N64 with a passion, finally everything becomes clear about the possible GoldenEye remake being shot down by him and almost no N64 support for the VC or N64 ports for the DS after Mario 64 DS.

rpmurphy

Having never played Electroplankton before, I'm really digging Beatnes. I'll probably have to get the other ones as well!

Bomberman Blitz is good. I don't mind that it doesn't have the extra items in Blast. The online matching for Blast is better with the minigame and being able to get new blood with every match when others leave. Blitz's online is solid though, and I like being able to play with different people's rule sets. Hey, and there's a pretty thorough tutorial of Bomberman gameplay for those who need to build some experience.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Walk-Out Basements said:
Please Nintega- do this with F-Zero AX/GX (Wi-Fi enabled Wii-make).
Never played this against a worthy opponent.

I just realized Nintendo makes some MONSTER racing games.
Stunt Race FX, Wave Race, Mario Kart, Excitebike, F-Zero...
They are so prominent in the Action-Adventure-Platformer-Fitness-Life Enhancement category that anything else they do is overshadowed.

Bought Excitebike WR. Hopefully this is a start of a beautiful thing:
====================================
other potential nes games for online multiplayer:
* Ice Hockey
* Wrecking Crew
* Pro Wrestling
Nintendo makes just about everything but FPSs, and even then I bet you they start making some. Oh, and Shumps, they don't make many of those.

JLateralus said:
I made a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of friend codes for Bomberman Blitz. Add yourself in the list and then add me in the game!

Bomberman Blitz (DSi) Friendcode List

somebody be a hero and do this for excitebike friend codes
Excitebike WR is highly recommended. I used to stink at the NES one i prolly still do but the tilt controls make the landings so much easier. i dont remember the boost pads giving your engine a cool down...HUGE PLUS gives the game a F-ZERO like strategic element. very satisying landing on other racers. This game deserves its own thread.

Drkirby said:
Nintendo makes just about everything but FPSs, and even then I bet you they start making some. Oh, and Shumps, they don't make many of those.

if we r talkin 2nd party- Geist counts, I think in order to do a proper FPS they need to buy High Voltage as a 2nd party, since they seem to be loyal to Nin. FPSes are being dethroned by 3rd person shooters though. plus name a Japanese dev thats made a console FPS, hudsonsoft doesnt count that was for wiiware

Starfox is a 3D Shmup if you use your imagination. and its a Miyamoto-production of all things. He also helped SK with Eternal Darkness, though it escapes me as to how deeply he was involved.

JUMPIN JEHOSHAPHAT! Nintendo released a shmup - of the bullet hell kind -called Aa Mujou Setsuna they share credits with Arika - creators of the original Street Fighter 2, Dr Mario online rx and Endless Ocean series. it was released on DSi ware in japan earlier this year

146451-shmuppo.jpg

dont know how this one slipped the radar

GeekyDad

Dan said:
Excitebike is pretty sweet. I've got 10 S rankings so far. It's making for a great pick-up-and-play title.

The completionist in me isn't looking forward to trying to get those bike color unlockables that require tons of racing against online friends. Online anyone is easy enough, but not the other.

Yeah, I'm kinda all over this game right now. I know it's just stupid colors for a very basic-looking motorcycle, but I can't help myself. I've got S ranks for the first three cups, but I had to take a break. I'll try and finish up that Platinum cup later, but I doubt it's going to be easy.

Racing online is fun, in no small part due to the lag-free play. But without a leader board, it's hard to find a reason to keep going back to it. Bragging rights are...well, I loves 'em -- what can I say. :D

Walk-Out Basements said:
somebody be a hero and do this for excitebike friend codes
Excitebike WR is highly recommended. I used to stink at the NES one i prolly still do but the tilt controls make the landings so much easier. i dont remember the boost pads giving your engine a cool down...HUGE PLUS gives the game a F-ZERO like strategic element. very satisying landing on other racers. This game deserves its own thread.

if we r talkin 2nd party- Geist counts, I think in order to do a proper FPS they need to buy High Voltage as a 2nd party, since they seem to be loyal to Nin. FPSes are being dethroned by 3rd person shooters though. plus name a Japanese dev thats made a console FPS, hudsonsoft doesnt count that was for wiiware

Starfox is a 3D Shmup if you use your imagination. and its a Miyamoto-production of all things. He also helped SK with Eternal Darkness, though it escapes me as to how deeply he was involved.

He suggested the targeting system, the use of the 3 gods to make a rock paper scissors magic system and the magic creation system IIRC, so yeah he was pretty heavily involved!

Capndrake

OFLC:
MILON'S SECRET CASTLE Games G 10/11/2009
3 imports rated for Europe now (Also Street Fighter II: Champion Edition and Shanghai II: Dragon's Eye) so looks like Hanabi Festival 5 will be coming within a few months.

bon

Drkirby said:
This doesn't quite fit into either of those categories, but suddenly I really want Metal Combat to be the next WiiWare revival game.

Who knows how Nintendo works with this stuff, why did they skip over Pilotwings 64? *shrugs* Because it was made by another developer? Surely they own it.

Somnid

Conrad Link said:
Who knows how Nintendo works with this stuff, why did they skip over Pilotwings 64? *shrugs* Because it was made by another developer? Surely they own it.

I don't think it was a skip so much as they never got to it. I really wonder what happened with N64 games. By numbers they have always been the best sellers on VC.

Conrad Link said:

wait, should this mean we will never see Pilotwings 64?
*shakes fists*

Jazzem

So last night I downloaded Pulseman and played it through in one go :D

Amazing game. I hope Nintendo let Game Freak do a 2D platformer on DS as well, seeing how Drill Dozer was also very good.

iamaustrian said:
wait, should this mean we will never see Pilotwings 64?
*shakes fists*

Nar I doubt its anything like that, Nintendo usually keep their outsourced stuff pretty tightly wound up in their own court still so I can't imagine thats it. I was just trying to think of a possible reason for it being missing from the VC cause it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me it being missing still (thats the problem, nothing makes much sense with how Nintendo releases these things!).

Really all the other early Nintendo N64 games are on it/have been on it for ages, just never understood why PW64 was seemingly forgotten. We got Pilotwings SNES very late too compared to the other SNES stuff, so I just assumed 64 would follow suit and show up awhile later. Here's hoping.

Josh7289 said:
Actually, I believe this is by design, and it's one of the key things people talk about with UI design when it comes to mouse like interfaces. Because of having multiple confirms screens, many people just click without looking.

Imagine the amount of complaints if someone accidentally clicked the "yes", when the 4 previous screens are for "next". Suddenly, money gone.

It's a screen designed to slow you down, so that the onus isn't on them when you call their tech support saying that you accidentally bought a game.

Top Bottom