• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

ZOONAMI

Yes.

fallout-4-gpu-bench-4k-ultra.png

Yes.

Lol, answered my own question but thank you!

dr_rus

PCGH did benchmarks without the Gameworks effects (which are obviously not in the console versions) but everything else still on the highest setting:

fo4-perfvfuqb.png

A 980 doing 92 min FPS is pretty nice I'd say.

Nice. Gameworks code has more or less the same impact on both 980 and 390X. This basically shows that the only reason why AMD cards aren't doing well in FO4 is their own shitty DX11 driver.

It's because of gameworks, and an inability for AMD to have optimised for it yet... Specifically the godrays and volumetric lighting

No it's not.

R8TEDM3

It looks like even Nvidia shows that Godrays need only be on Low. Good news.

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...-interactive-comparison-004-ultra-vs-low.html

PC Games Hardware in the OP showed a huge difference between "Off" and "High". I'll definitely run it on Low to get even better performance.

Don't know why and It shouldn't be happening, since it's the setting for "God Ray quality"! But when I move that slider to the right, the tree looks to be more blurry! Anyone else seeing this?

These crashes are beyond ridiculous. Anyone out here able to interpret the crash log?

Faulting application name: Fallout4.exe, version: 1.1.29.0, time stamp: 0x5627e510
Faulting module name: XAudio2_7.dll_unloaded, version: 9.29.1962.0, time stamp: 0x4c0643cc

Crisium

Nice. Gameworks code has more or less the same impact on both 980 and 390X. This basically shows that the only reason why AMD cards aren't doing well in FO4 is their own shitty DX11 driver.

Check your math again. What an exaggeration. Tesselated God Rays impact AMD performance more, as to be expected. And this is a Gameworks title. I'm sure you believe that has no impact on the competition, but this is not uncommon behavior for those that have paid attention.

dr_rus

Don't know why and It shouldn't be happening, since it's the setting for "God Ray quality"! But when I move that slider to the right, the tree looks to be more blurry! Anyone else seeing this?

That's the main difference between low and ultra really. Low setting means that you'll get more aliasing/shimmering and blurriness on objects behind the light rays.

Check your math again. What an exaggeration. Tesselated God Rays impact AMD performance more, as to be expected. And this is a Gameworks title. I'm sure you believe that has no impact on the competition, but this is not uncommon behavior for those that have paid attention.

How about instead of posting shit as usual you share your math with us all so we can see how 13% vs 16% of performance loss described as "more or less the same impact" qualifies as "exaggeration"?

Anybody getting crashes NOT using nvidia new drivers from today?

I got the drivers and have constant crashes, friend didn't get drivers and no crashes for him. Both on Win 10. I tried the XAudio thing and that didn't help.

About to fresh install older drivers.

Fuckkkkk I wasn't expecting crashes ugh...

Getting 110 to 140fps everything on Ultra 1080p with a 5930k, 64gb RAM and TitanX.

Disabled vsync in the .ini files but it seems like the FOV changes arent working. Anyone know how to fix this?

Anybody getting crashes NOT using nvidia new drivers from today?

I got the drivers and have constant crashes, friend didn't get drivers and no crashes for him. Both on Win 10. I tried the XAudio thing and that didn't help.

About to fresh install older drivers.

Fuckkkkk I wasn't expecting crashes ugh...

I was crashing with the older drivers so assumed they were the issue. New drivers still crashed. It's definitely related to the XAudio file though, just not sure why. Audio drivers are up to date.

artsi

Crashes are still constant for me.

Windows Event Viewer shows that XAudio2_7.dll would be the cause.

R8TEDM3

Getting 110 to 140fps everything on Ultra 1080p with a 5930k, 64gb RAM and TitanX.

Disabled vsync in the .ini files but it seems like the FOV changes arent working. Anyone know how to fix this?

Could you try and see what kind of FPS you're getting @4k res or higher please?

Somebody mentioned earlier that FOV changes aren't working, and think I remembered reading the same thing in those tweak guides as well!

Crashes are still constant for me.

Windows Event Viewer shows that XAudio2_7.dll would be the cause.

The suggested "fix" was to replace the 64 bit version of that file with the 32 bit version, but that didn't solve the issue either for me.

Crisium

How about instead of posting shit as usual you share your math with us all so we can see how 13% vs 16% of performance loss described as "more or less the same impact" qualifies as "exaggeration"?

Nvidia user turns off Gameworks, gains 28.2% average performance. AMD users turns off Gameworks, gains 36.9% average performance.

artsi

The suggested "fix" was to replace the 64 bit version of that file with the 32 bit version, but that didn't solve the issue either for me.

Yeah, didn't help. Hopefully Bethesda acknowledges the problem soon. It seems very widespread.

SliChillax

Damn ugrids is an fps killer but does it make the game look great. I guess I'll use it after 2-3 years when a single gpu can properly handle 13ugrids.

Xyber

So vsync enabled feels like shit because of the really noticeable mouse delay.

Vsync disabled feels much better, but movement speed seems tied to the framerate somehow..? I get close to walls and hit 2-300fps and I start running at like 2 times the speed.

https://my.mixtape.moe/amewlj.webm

Älg

Nvidia user turns off Gameworks, gains 28.2% average performance. AMD users turns off Gameworks, gains 36.9% average performance.

Surprisingly, an effect with a more or less linear performance impact has a larger percentual impact on a slower card. Truly stunning.

I am now going to go activate it on my Intel HD 4000 and complain about the 500% performance loss

Atilac

Any word or idea how this will run on a:
AMD Phenom II X4
AMD 7870
16 gigs of ram.
Still deciding between the pc and ps4 versions.

Lord Phol

Well the game detected my settings to ultra with everything maxed which is cool, but atm I can't seem to get past the main menu screen. Tried both windowed and full-screen. No mouse pointer and the keyboard does nothing. Can't click anywhere.

Edit: Plugged in a dual shock 4 which seems to work great. Guess it might be the game detecting some controller driver and thinking it's activated, thus disabling mouse/keyboard even when the controller isn't actually plugged in.
Edit 2: Disabling controller under settings fixed it.

squared

I fixed the horrible mouse acceleration/lag/smoothing or whatever through ini-editing, but now I'm getting intermittent stutter, like one frame, and it's constant, if I'm running in a straight line it's happening in the exact same interval.. Anyone know of a fix? :(

i7 4790k @ 4.5 Ghz
16Gb RAM
970 OC SLI
Installed on SSD

Everything at Ultra except God rays on medium. Constant 60FPS, though Steam overlay shows 59 constant, which may not be accurate I guess.

Yeah, didn't help. Hopefully Bethesda acknowledges the problem soon. It seems very widespread.

yeah this making the game almost unplayable for me.

I'm looking into the XAudio2_7.dll issue, and it seems this is becoming a well documented Windows 10 issue for lots of games. There's a Microsoft thread here with a (sort of) solution that involves removing the .dll file completely so the games can't hang any more. In some games (like AC: Unity) it solves the crashing perfectly. In other games it solves the crashing but also completely removes all audio.

Going to test it now.

EDIT: The startup logo had audio, but that was it. Everything else is muted >.<

Crisium

Älg;184810193 said:
Surprisingly, an effect with a more or less linear performance impact has a larger percentual impact on a slower card. Truly stunning.

It's because of tessellation.

Look what happens when with Gameworks Off the cards are truly "more or less the same" even within my conservative definition of the term:

Neither card gives playable performance of course, but it's still a heavier penalty on one end.

aravuus

Well then, I'm playing the fucking game on low. It seems to be the only way to get 60+ fps 100% of the time when I'm outside. It's almost like someone's switched my GTX970 to a GTX760 without me knowing.

This is just mind-boggling.

At least on the plus side I get 150+ fps inside, which means

So vsync enabled feels like shit because of the really noticeable mouse delay.

Vsync disabled feels much better, but movement speed seems tied to the framerate somehow..? I get close to walls and hit 2-300fps and I start running at like 2 times the speed.

https://my.mixtape.moe/amewlj.webm

Double speed!

Corpekata

Banned
What setting would I tweak in the ini to get rid of pop in for say, the big billboard in the first town (the one with the mascot advertising the vaults)? It's the only thing that's stood out to me so far, pops in when I'm way too close and I have everything maxed out besides Godrays.

Top Bottom