• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

i5-2500K @ 4.4 GHz
GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming model, so factory overclocked) with the latest drivers
8 GB RAM

Running at the game's suggested settings (everything Ultra minus godrays which are set to high) at 1080p and getting a solid 60 fps 99% of the time, even when out exploring the wasteland. I am noticing the game is utilising my GPU quite heavily (sometimes hovers around 90% utilisation), so this could mean major action on screen later on could cause some frame drops. No complaints so far though.

VRAM usage not breaking 2 GB means there's plenty of overhead for mods as well, which I look forward to.

Your rig is almost identical to mine (I think my oc is at 4 or 4.2 tho can't remember) and I have 16 gigs of ram. Wew sounds like aside from a vid card upgrade and another 8 gigs my Skyrim battlefield 3 build can play fallout 4 well. The i5 2500k has been the best cpu I ever bought.

I have a pretty heavy OCed 980ti, i7 4770k at 4.2 GHZ and 16 GB of RAM

really hoping i can get 60fps at 1440p with Ultra settings

RedSwirl

So on my 760 it's a choice between working out something similar to the console settings and possibly getting 60fps, or just cranking everything up and locking the game to 30. What's everybody else on mid-range cards going with?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The game is coming in the mail Wednesday, but that performance guide helped me put together a list of all the settings I'm probably gonna use ( or at the very least try out.)

The game is looking great, I'm psyched for it to come in.

Real bummer about SLI for the people with multiple GPUs, and super bummer about no official HBAO+ profile. It seems like it would be such a huge benefit.

So on my 760 it's a choice between working out something similar to the console settings and possibly getting 60fps, or just cranking everything up and locking the game to 30. What's everybody else on mid-range cards going with?

It's not like the game is a big looker at ultra anyway, I'd take the 60 fps personally.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi please you don't have time for fo4. You got hearthstone and bloodborne dlc coming up :p
Heck, I don't have time for Fallout 4, not counting the games in November! Real life is hectic nowadays, but I need this game inside me...

Yes. You might wanna turn god rays down a notch though.

This is with god rays on ultra, which is a huge performance hit across the board. Other benchmarks including the one in the OP show the 970 easily getting over 60 frames per second at 1080p.

I'll try it with both, if there is a big difference will just keep them down.

Phionoxx

Has native support for DS4 but displays the Xbox One button prompts. Hopefully the button prompts will be an easy mod fix.

I'm still in tutorial but I'm getting a solid 60fps at 1080P at mixed High / Ultra settings with God Rays at medium.

2500K at 4.5Ghz
16GB RAM
780 GTX SC (3GB)
Win 7
SSD

Vex_

Banned
Well that's weird... The stuttering stopped when I allowed the ipreseninterval to do its thing like normal toggled on?

...weird. Oh well guess I'm good then. 60fps all day errday.

Smokey

It doesn't exist?

As I said in my last post, there's a profile for it in the latest drivers, it just needs to be configured. Hopefully the modders will get on that. I might fool around with the settings in Nvidia inspector a bit.

Seems like more and more often SLI support is non existent or not working properly in these AAA titles.

Shame.

RE4PRR

Good performance at 3440x1440 - 980ti stock. Everything maxed except godrays at High.

A bit shit this game isn't 21:9 native though.

God I'm starting to regret not spending the extra money to get a 4GB 780.

Why? The Nvidia guide seems to suggest that 3GB is fine unless you're going to increase the uGrid level past ultra (and in that case the 780 will choke on rendering the extra detail before it runs out of memory).

Well that's weird... The stuttering stopped when I allowed the ipreseninterval to do its thing like normal toggled on?

...weird. Oh well guess I'm good then. 60fps all day errday.

Yes, that option turns off vsync.

Red Hood

Banned
Fallout-4-PC-Performance_1080P.jpg

Okay. So. Apparently PCGH uses the "HIS R9 280X IceQ X2 Turbo". I have a -- to be precise -- Sapphire 280X Dual-X OC. Which one is (albeit marginally) better?

I can live with 45fps maxed out, maybe squeeze an extra 5/15 by lowering some other stuff.

For those having crashes I think I might have found a solution on steam the forums.

This is a problem with Windows 10 (in particular) and a number of games.

Try this fix:
Rename the file windows\syswow64\XAudio2_7.dll to XAudio2_7.dll.backup
Then copy the 32bit variant found in windows\system32 into the syswow64 folder. You will need administrator privileges.

Let us know if it works.

Sadly, it doesn't work for me. Still crashing =(

Woffls

Having quite great performance with my 750ti, it's giving me 45-50 fps most of the time, with some drops to 35 at certain points.
Roughly what settings are you using? I have a 750 Ti SC and still need to pick a platform!

Oof, no SLI support is going to be rough for me. Going to have to lower some settings to get 60 FPS on a single 680. Hopefully someone will find a working configuration quickly.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This really doesn't help much. At all. See way too many of these in PC optimization threads. What are your in-game settings? What are your Nividia control panel settings? Are you using MSI Afterburner or RTSS? What are the settings for that? Are you overclocked? What OS are you using? What drivers are you on? Fullscreen? Borderless?

Cool, great. You got your game running "flawless". Let's see some actual benchmarks and some in-depth settings how you got there.

Everything is set to Ultra besides god rays which I put to medium. Have the steam overlay showing FPS and I've never seen it dip below 60. Nothing is overclocked. Never both with nvidia control panel.

It's just a quick and dirty for people with similar setups. I'm kinda busy playing the game. You okay man?

Also Benny Blanco, what color are your shoelaces? How do you feel about tipping culture in the US?

^This.

ISee

Thanks! I just realized I have a 970 FTW version, which comes pretty well overclocked already.

I have my CPU overclocked to 4.2 just like you as well. We seem to have almost the exact same rig, so I'm pretty happy to see you posting these results.

Thanks again.

Yeah the mid range i5+970 combo is still awesome. Especially with overclocking. The 970 FTW is also a good pick up and, as you mentioned, also decently overclocked. You'll be fine in FO4, I had some drops to 58 fps but this seems to be a loading/streaming engine issue (most probably). So far it holds up pretty well without extreme godrays even when there is some fighting.

Why? The Nvidia guide seems to suggest that 3GB is fine unless you're going to increase the uGrid level past ultra (and in that case the 780 will choke on rendering the extra detail before it runs out of memory).

I just feel like more games are actually using that memory, I also thought I had a 2GB card, but I just checked and I have a 3GB, so alls good for now!

Truant

Runs great on my medio i5/970. Everything on max except godrays and shadows.

Also, no brightness settings? Can't find it anywhere.

uGrids is a setting in Bethesda's engine which determines how many "zones" (quadratic blocks) around your character are fully instanced at any point in time (rather than just displayed as a low-detail palceholder with no active entities).

It makes a significant difference in distant detail level and causes a massive performance hit.

Thanks man. I'll.leave it as is for now then.

I have a stock 980ti with an i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz, 8gb of ram, and my 1.5 hours with it this morning was running it silky smooth at 1440p/60fps on Ultra.

On default ultra settings it seemed to hold a very steady 60fps.

I have since properly tweaked grass, shadow, and uGrid settings and it runs between 35 and 50fps.

Nice. I appreciate it. I'll probably tweak up the Ugrids as well and live with fluctuations at 1440p. Gsync should mitigate a lot of issues.

On default ultra settings it seemed to hold a very steady 60fps.

I have since properly tweaked grass, shadow, and uGrid settings and it runs between 35 and 50fps.

Oh really? Is there some good ini tweaks worth doing that help the games look then? If it hurts performance that much I may just do the tweaks and stick with 1080p

It should run it better than the PS4, unless there are any stutter bugs specific to your config

Still trying to figure this out...not sure if I will return my PS4 copy or not.

My aging PC
i7 overclocked to 3.0ghz (came with my alienware I bought new 5 or 6 years ago)
660 TI
8GB Ram

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I stick to PS4?

I just feel like more games are actually using that memory, I also thought I had a 2GB card, but I just checked and I have a 3GB, so alls good for now!

There's some that you have to turn the textures down a notch, but for those games, the textures aren't the only setting you have to turn down on a GTX780. I'd be very confident in saying that the money you could have spent getting that extra GB of VRAM will be much better spent going up a tier on your next video card upgrade (if I remember rightly, there was a pretty crazy premium on 4GB GTX 780s, as they were so rare).

Everything is set to Ultra besides god rays which I put to medium. Have the steam overlay showing FPS and I've never seen it dip below 60. Nothing is overclocked. Never both with nvidia control panel.

It's just a quick and dirty for people with similar setups. I'm kinda busy playing the game. You okay man?

This is a PC optimization thread. You wanna do a fly-by post with some screenshots? Cool, there are threads and other websites for that. I haven't bought the game and I want to glean some technically in-depth posts about optimization to see what I can expect for my hardware.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is a PC optimization thread. You wanna do a fly-by post with some screenshots? Cool, there are threads and other websites for that. I haven't bought the game and I want to glean some technically in-depth posts about optimization to see what I can expect for my hardware.

Are you gonna ban me? Take it down a notch friendo.

Top Bottom