• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

This is a PC optimization thread. You wanna do a fly-by post with some screenshots? Cool, there are threads and other websites for that. I haven't bought the game and I want to glean some technically in-depth posts about optimization to see what I can expect for my hardware.

You should probably chill out bro. Your overreacting

DMTripper

Hi all,

I have a factory overclocked MSI GTX 960 and a i5-4590 and 8 gigs of ram. According to that chart I should get around 50 FPS on max?

I'm new to PC gaming and not really sure. I'm guessing I'll find out later this evening !

Nice. I appreciate it. I'll probably tweak up the Ugrids as well and live with fluctuations at 1440p. Gsync should mitigate a lot of issues.

Oh really? Is there some good ini tweaks worth doing that help the games look then? If it hurts performance that much I may just do the tweaks and stick with 1080p

Yeah I maxed out the shadow and grass tweaks via Nvidia's guide ( http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide ) and set uGrids to 11 and it's still running a good deal above 30. But I have no Gsync monitor so I might end up locking to to a perfect 30 or switching to a 1080p tv. Haven't tested performance at 1080 with those tweaks but they've gone a good way to making the game prettier, that's for sure.

Qassim

This is a PC optimization thread. You wanna do a fly-by post with some screenshots? Cool, there are threads and other websites for that. I haven't bought the game and I want to glean some technically in-depth posts about optimization to see what I can expect for my hardware.

Unless you start posting some of your own in-depth technical optimisation posts, I don't think you should really be speaking like this. If your concern is that people shouldn't be posting in these threads without adequate utility to others then your posts are no better.

Framerate still fluctuating a lot here, even though it got better after I disabled Vsync. If they fix this stutter the game would be so much better.

komorebi

I found Benny's posts more helpful and insightful than your blabbering. I now know what to expect when I load my own game at midnight.

This really doesn't help much. At all. See way too many of these in PC optimization threads. What are your in-game settings? What are your Nividia control panel settings? Are you using MSI Afterburner or RTSS? What are the settings for that? Are you overclocked? What OS are you using? What drivers are you on? Fullscreen? Borderless?

Cool, great. You got your game running "flawless". Let's see some actual benchmarks and some in-depth settings how you got there.

Uh...what in the world is this?

samn

Still trying to figure this out...not sure if I will return my PS4 copy or not.

My aging PC
i7 overclocked to 3.0ghz (came with my alienware I bought new 5 or 6 years ago)
660 TI
8GB Ram

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I stick to PS4?

you could buy on Steam and then refund it within the 2 hour time limit if it's not working for you

Switched to fullscreen with all ultra settings instead of Borderless windowed mode that was using mostly high settings.

Went from 1080p less than 60fps to a 1080p always over 60fps.

No gameready drivers either. I guess fullscreen it is.

rockx4

Anyone else here on an amd card using freesync @2560x1440 144hz? I'm getting no signal at that resolution. Dropping to 60hz caps my fps at 20... Game runs fine at 1080p. Using amd fury.

Yeah I maxed out the shadow and grass tweaks via Nvidia's guide ( http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide ) and set uGrids to 11 and it's still running a good deal above 30. But I have no Gsync monitor so I might end up locking to to a perfect 30 or switching to a 1080p tv. Haven't tested performance at 1080 with those tweaks but they've gone a good way to making the game prettier, that's for sure.

Hmmmm tough call for me on whether I should do the tweaks and play at 1080p or do stock Ultra at 1440p.

Decisions decisions

Anyone else here on an amd card using freesync @2560x1440 144hz? I'm getting no signal at that resolution. Dropping to 60hz caps my fps at 20... Game runs fine at 1080p. Using amd fury.

Not using freesync but I'm at 1440@120hz and it is fine.

What was weird is dropping down to 60hz capped the game at 30fps, but 120hz was capping it at 60fps. Glad I found that tweak guide to unlock the framerate.

Crisium

Hmm. The website in the OP has my video card at 41-53 at 1440. I could get more if I killed the Godrays, but that's within my Freesync range so I think I'll try it. I don't think the visuals for this game are worthy of such low framerates though so hopefully we get some optimization.

Unfortunately I won't have the game for another day or two.

aravuus

I'm on MEDIUM settings now on a i5-3570k / GTX 970 rig and if it's raining or foggy or such, I STILL get stuttering and the framerate drops

What the fuck is going on, having crazy problems with Blops 3 too, but I just played Witcher 3 some weeks ago and iirc it ran great on very high settings.

K' Dash

i5 2500K overclocked @4.2GHz
Gigabyte 780 GHz edition 3GB
8GB RAM

Ultra settings, motion blur off and I'm getting solid 1080p @60 fps.

ISee

Anyone got a 980, wondering how it runs at 1440p?

benchpcgameshardware2x8j0f.jpg

2560x1440, TAA, Ultra Setting with one exception: Godrays (=high).

Tesseract

Banned
wtf @ 390 dipping into 30 fps @ ultra while the 970 holds 60 like it ain't even trying

amd, you got some explaining to do

uzit88

Quick question. Still a sucker for retail boxed game but I am wanting to buy Fallout 4 on PC which is coming this week thats has a 970 in it etc. Can I punch in the serial key into the Steam and download (I didn't get a DVD drive fitted)....

Thank you!!

Froz3n

wtf @ 390 dipping into 30 fps while the 970 holds 60 like it ain't even trying

It's because of gameworks, and an inability for AMD to have optimised for it yet... Specifically the godrays and volumetric lighting

TheRed

I'm already loving this game. It blows away the visuals of New Vegas that I've been playing. It runs at a super smooth 60 fps unlike Black Ops 3 which I think looks uglier.
I have a 970 and i54670k

dakun

does anyone else have a problem with the graphics settings? it doesn't seem to save my changes and when i restart the launcher it always detects the graphics settings again as if i started for the first time.

anyone got any tips?

edit: ok now it worked when i started the launcher.exe as administrator.. seems to be a problem i keep getting with games not being able to save to My Documents since i got Windows 10

Wag

Going to take a look at Skyrim SLI config and see if I can mod it to Fallout 4 somehow.

Doran902

cancelled bone and ordered a 4gb evga 960 gtx to go with my i7 4790 and 16gb of ram plus ssd

hoping i made a good choice now just waiting on newegg

pc looks good

Tesseract

Banned
It's because of gameworks, and an inability for AMD to have optimised for it yet... Specifically the godrays and volumetric lighting

makes sense, as amd is usually slower on the uptake re: drivers

here's hoping the 390 blows away the 970 in a few months like it should, especially with mods

also, it's pretty annoying that lots of benchmarks are omitting the 390 for the x, or in weirder cases the 290

Kezen

Banned
wtf @ 390 dipping into 30 fps @ ultra while the 970 holds 60 like it ain't even trying

It's known for a while that AMD drivers are heavier than Nvidia's hence why AMD cards can struggle in some situations.
See Dying Light or COD Advanced Warfare.

GTX 970, i5-3350p, 8GB RAM. Everything seems to be buttery smooth 60fps at 1080p for me everything on ultra. Although I have not really gotten into any heavily populated areas or anything yet. Been perfect so far

Tesseract

Banned
It's known for a while that AMD drivers are heavier than Nvidia's hence why AMD cards can struggle in some situations.
See Dying Light or COD Advanced Warfare.

well they need to get a handle on this, or the net losses are gonna continue

Top Bottom