• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Kezen

Banned
Isn't the consolse GPU based on Tonga/Fiji 1.2 or 1.1? In that case the hardware tessellation is much better than what is on the 290, 390 etc. That might not be a fair comparison. But I could be super wrong.

Consoles are GCN 1.1 (R9 200 series).
Tonga (GCN 1.2 is from 2014) and is indeed better equipped to handle tessellation.

It's also worth pointing out that those tessellated god rays are significantly neutered on consoles.

dr_rus

Yeah, that's not how math works in this universe. The difference between 13.1% and 16% is not 3%. It's 22%, and yes that is a significantly statistical difference by most measures. Certainly you see the difference between 100% and 97%, which is insignificant, and 13% and 16% which is significant.

The difference between 16 and 13% in the same percentages depicting the impact of Gameworks on performance is 3%. You can't change the percentage base in the same row of numbers. I advise you to learn math a bit before calling people out on theirs.

Isn't the consolse GPU based on Tonga/Fiji 1.2 or 1.1? In that case the hardware tessellation is much better than what is on the 290, 390 etc. That might not be a fair comparison. But I could be super wrong.

Yeah, GCN 1.2's tessellation is improved but it's not like 380 - which is based on Tonga - is showing a better performance than Hawaii's 290/390 or even Tahiti's 280 here - which actually proves my point again about tessellation not impacting Radeons performance in FO4 much at all.

GPsych

Anyone playing with a gamepad? I picked up that new xbox one wireless adapter basically for Fallout 4.

Hoping for some more laptop impressions also. I'm on a 970m.

Gaming laptop people always the last to know. To be fair, we're sort of crazy people.

Crisium

The difference between 16 and 13% in the same percentages is 3%. You can't change the percentage base in the same row of numbers. I advise you to learn math a bit before calling people out on theirs.

http://abload.de/img/fo4-perfvfuqb.png

Where is there a 13% and 16% difference to begin with? How do you even arrive there?

Turning off Gameworks results in a 28.2% / 36.9% average FPS increase between Nvidia / AMD. Turning it On results in a 22% / 26.9% loss.

I'm sure of my math, and will happily call you out.

And no solution in sight. So I have to install Windows 8.1 to play Fallout 4. Thanks Microsoft.

I've seen someone saying they fixed this by updating their soundcard drivers. Windows device manager tells me mine is already running the latest driver, but I've just manually downloaded and installed the Windows 10 driver for it in case Windows is lying to me. Going to restart the PC and give this another go =)

DjRalford

Anyone running on a HD7970?

Whats the performance like? As if it gets close to Ultra @ 1080p I might plump for the PC version over the PS4 when i get it.

GPsych

Well the game's running a solid 60fps on ultra@1080p for me. My laptop is a MSI GT80 btw ;)

Edit: Win10 and no issues so far.

Well, I would certainly hope that a $3,000 gaming laptop would hit 60 fps on ultra. That's a bad ass machine.

JFYI, it seems god rays have a huge impact on FPS. I am playing everything on ultra but was getting dips in some parts of the world from 60 to 30, I then put god rays on high and left everything on ultra and doesn't dip at all. PC version. I have above recommended specs.

Sioen

Anyone playing with a gamepad? I picked up that new xbox one wireless adapter basically for Fallout 4.

Hoping for some more laptop impressions also. I'm on a 970m.
I have it on a 970m, it's running almost at 60 with a mix of ultra/medium settings.

artsi

I've seen someone saying they fixed this by updating their soundcard drivers. Windows device manager tells me mine is already running the latest driver, but I've just manually downloaded and installed the Windows 10 driver for it in case Windows is lying to me. Going to restart the PC and give this another go =)

Check this out.

Bethesda released a beta update for the XAudio crash.
If you're on Windows 10 and get constant crashes, install this.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1544136-fallout-4-updates/

Piggus

I read that the game doesn't support SLI yet, but you can force it by turning on alternate frame rendering in the nvidia control panel. Can anyone confirm? Gonna wait until I know that SLI is working before I buy.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Thought id ask here. How much better is the 8gb rx 390 over a 2gb 770. I can get a rx 390 for £250

dr_rus

Where is there a 13% and 16% difference to begin with? How do you even arrive there?

Turning off Gameworks results in a 28.2% / 36.9% average FPS increase between Nvidia / AMD.

I already told you. You should count how many performance you're loosing by enabling Gameworks, not how much you gain by disabling it. The basis of this discussion is the loss of performance because of enabling Gameworks, not the gain of it via disabling it. What you count is the percentage of how better the game is running without Gameworks which is basically a pointless figure as we don't know what bottleneck it is hitting in this mode. The only proper way of measuring the impact is to count the percentage of performance loss from enabling a feature.

B4s5C

So, just finished the intro. I have a constant 60fps at 1080p with:

R9 290
i5-4690k
16gb of RAM
Windows 10

The game automatically set me on ultra graphics but I turned down godrays to medium and AF to 12x. No severe dips from what I can see but overall I'm pretty pleased. I was originally one that said the game didn't look all that great but in motion, the art style is very pleasing and enjoyable. A lot more colors than FO3, thats for sure.

Crisium

I already told you. You should count how many performance you're loosing by enabling Gameworks, not how much you gain by disabling it. The basis of this discussion is the loss of performance because of enabling Gameworks, not the gain of it via disabling it. What you count is the percentage of how better the game is running without Gameworks which is basically a pointless figure as we don't know what bottleneck it is hitting in this mode. The only proper way of measuring the impact is to count the percentage of performance loss from enabling a feature.

Using your math, turning it On results in a 22% / 26.9% loss for NV/AMD. How do you arrive are 13% and 16%? Please, walk me through the steps.

NBtoaster

r7 260x
a8 6600k
8GB
Windows 7

This is slightly below minimum requirements, but it runs pretty well on medium at 1080p. And still looks pretty good.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I...I.. I can't tell !

You're using the vertical slider right. The difference seems to be higher, sharper rays on Ultra that makes a slightly less blurry effect which is a higher I.Q.

I'll stick to low since I have an R9 290 given what Ultra does to a 980ti; I can't hang with the big boys :(

nynt9

Is there a chance any of the surface books can run this? A friend of mine is considering one but I don't think it will work, yet he insists it should.

Samaritan

I've disabled vsync via the .ini file but my game is still capped at 60. Any ideas? I've already checked nVidia Control Panel/Investigator/RivaTuner to make sure it wasn't being forced on by anything else and it's not.

The only time I was able to get the framerate to unlock was by disabling it via the .ini AND forcing it off via the nVidia Control Panel, but this caused my game to crash upon load every time.

Xyber

I've disabled vsync via the .ini file but my game is still capped at 60. Any ideas? I've already checked nVidia Control Panel/Investigator/RivaTuner to make sure it wasn't being forced on by anything else and it's not.

The only time I was able to get the framerate to unlock was by disabling it via the .ini AND forcing it off via the nVidia Control Panel, but this caused my game to crash upon load every time.

Did you make it read only?

Nugg

I have an issue. It's not really about Fallout but let's say it's Fallout related: my Steam download speed is very fluctuating and pretty low tonight. Anyone experiencing something similar? Any advice?

Opens thread, reads "No SLI support"

HGaHSTp.png

DoctorZ

Dissapointed that AMD cards seem to lag behind Nvidia so much. I'm sure some tweaks can be made like disabling gameworks, but always sad to see a game favoring one GPU maker over the other.

i5 3570k, R9 390, 8GB ram. Expected this to run ultra at 1080p, but not looking like it right now. Hopefully AMD can update their drivers, but not expecting much.

comrade

Can't view the webm on my iPhone but is game speed seriously tied to FPS?!?!

Yeah a lot of shit breaks with unlocked fps. I couldn't exit consoles or get in the Power Armor until I locked my framerate to 90.

Wait, so no SLI? I think I'll need to switch to a sibgle 970 ASAP... :(

This is why I ate the price difference and sold my SLI 970's for a 980Ti. SLI is always a disappointment for me.

Durante

Dissapointed that AMD cards seem to lag behind Nvidia so much. I'm sure some tweaks can be made like disabling gameworks, but always sad to see a game favoring one GPU maker over the other.
It's not so much a game as a use case (CPU-heavy DX11 titles).

Akronis

Yeah a lot of shit breaks with unlocked fps. I couldn't exit consoles or get in the Power Armor until I locked my framerate to 90.

This is why I ate the price difference and sold my SLI 970's for a 980Ti. SLI is always a disappointment for me.

So I guess they lied about arbitrary framerates :/

M2C3

Neo Member

Wow I'm extremely disappointed. Shame. No SLI support and now this.

Is 90 the max without shit breaking?

Top Bottom