• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

So.. I thought I had fixed my problems with framerate and stuttering, but now it seems that both are back. My framerate is terrible with every setting, and I'm using a 970.

If I turn vsync on I can't even reach 60fps, god knows why.

Despera

Banned
Has anyone else encountered a huge bug which makes you stuck in place after interacting with the first computer terminal in the game?

Sorry, Bethesda, but this is not good enough ... :(

Are my interactions with the first computer terminal representative of the polish I can expect going forward?
I've encountered many weird bugs. From subtitles getting stuck halfway through conversations to not being able to crouch after quick saving.

So I'd say yes, expect a butt load of bugs going forward.

No motion blur like at all ;/ I tried to modify some settings in .ini, but it didnt help.
SSR doesnt work on standard geometry, so its probably only for water ;/

The biggest surprise? Mouse controls are fucked up. The x-axis is turning faster than y-axis - WTF Bethesda? Stop testing games on those stupid gamepads ;/
Them saying there is motionblur as a bullet point on that blog is extremely disingenous. It, for all visible purposes, just the same old radial blur from skyrim.

BTW, SSR may apply to other materials than water.
There is an image from the NV guide where rain makes a lot of game surfaces really glossy. Then you can see SSR on non-water materials. So maybe its threshold for actually applying requires a shit ton of gloss.
fallout-4-wetness-001-on.png

Maybe just waay too many game surfaces are rough / plastic.

Corpekata

Banned
Has anyone else encountered a huge bug which makes you stuck in place after interacting with the first computer terminal in the game?

Are my interactions with the first computer terminal representative of the polish I can expect going forward?

I've had it happen to 3 different computers. Quick save before using any.

Someone said earlier it might be tied to high FPS, which may be true as I'm generally 100ish in areas it happend to me at. Might need to force a lower FPS in Rivatuner since there's no way to manually cap it in the game and I'm on a 144hz monitor.

d00d3n

I've encountered many weird bugs. From subtitles getting stuck halfway through conversations to not being able to crouch after quick saving.

So I'd say yes, expect a butt load of bugs going forward.

I played Skyrim when it was released, but this seems so much worse. I can understand that it is hard to maintain quality in small side areas, but this is the first computer terminal in the game, ffs!

KKRT00

There is an image from the NV guide where rain makes a lot of game surfaces really glossy. Then you can see SSR on non-water materials. So maybe its threshold for actually applying requires a shit ton of gloss.

Character creator is in the bathroom where there is a mirror and walls are made from tiles.
Both do not reflect anything ;/

Character creator is in the bathroom where there is a mirror and walls are made from tiles.
Both do not reflect anything ;/

The NV guide does have SSR tweak values (they had to do with their threshhold and what not, along with a number of paramteres). Perhaps you can change the theshhold?

edit: why is the guide down again? lol

styl3s

5 hours in an no bugs yet.

But out of habit i do quick save every minute or so and hard save every 10ish just in case. But i have never really experienced any game breaking bugs in the Bethesda games.

d00d3n

I've had it happen to 3 different computers. Quick save before using any.

Someone said earlier it might be tied to high FPS, which may be true as I'm generally 100ish in areas it happend to me at. Might need to force a lower FPS in Rivatuner since there's no way to manually cap it in the game and I'm on a 144hz monitor.

That may be it. I am running on a 144hz gsync display and the fps hovers around 90-130 or so (according to Steam fps overlay).

aravuus

So yeah, a bit embarrassing to admit, but it looks like I had a bitcoin mining malware or something on my PC that was using my GPU. Hope it hasn't been there long... Well anyway, now I'm getting 80-150fps with everything but god rays on ultra.

Also, I'm sure this has already been discussed, but it looks like a lot of animations and whatnot are tied to the framerate. Everything from pulling up the pip-boy to moving is faster when I'm staring at the ground. Fucking lol.

e: top MLG tips: look at the ground while reloading.

It fucking reloads faster. This is so good.

e2: even the conversations are tied to framerate! It cuts lines in half cause the game's running at 160fps lmaooooo

Eyothrie

I remember in skyrim there was an "iFPSClamp" setting that I had to change from 0 to 60 to mitigate stuttering. Wondering if that setting is present in one of the F04 inis

artsi

For anyone experiencing the 15 minute crash, this has fixed the issue for me =) Played for over half an hour now crash-free now! Finally!

Yeah me too, good stuff.

Reposting in case anyone is still suffering from the issue.

Bethesda released a beta update for the XAudio crash. (game crashes constantly every 10-15 minutes)
If you're on Windows 10 and get constant crashes, install this.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/154...out-4-updates/

Hey guys so I was wondering if my specs were OK to run the game at high with OK frames at 1080p:

8GB RAM
i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz
AMD HD7950 3GB OC'd to 975Mhz

Steel

Banned
Got a couple hours in and it's running smooth at 1080P/Ultra on my rig(Or at least smooth enough for me, I rarely notice drops that remain in the 30-60 FPS range though). EVGA GTX 970 4 gigs, AMD FX-8320, 8 gigs of ram.

Yeap, same for me. I've been playing for an hour without a crash.

Never got a crash at all thankfully.

comrade

Wow I'm extremely disappointed. Shame. No SLI support and now this.

Is 90 the max without shit breaking?

Yeah it's weird. I had it at 110 and consoles worked but I couldn't get in the Power Armor to continue the game. I tried 100 and still couldn't get in but 90 worked.

Performance also is all over the place for me. I'll go from 90 fps to 40fps. Going to dial back some settings I guess.

Xyber

So yeah, a bit embarrassing to admit, but it looks like I had a bitcoin mining malware or something on my PC that was using my GPU. Hope it hasn't been there long... Well anyway, now I'm getting 80-150fps with everything but god rays on ultra.

Also, I'm sure this has already been discussed, but it looks like a lot of animations and whatnot are tied to the framerate. Everything from pulling up the pip-boy to moving is faster when I'm staring at the ground. Fucking lol.

e2: even the conversations are tied to framerate! It cuts lines in half cause the game's running at 160fps lmaooooo

Oh, that's why all dialogues were a jumbled mess and voices completely out of sync with the lips.

Get rid of this damn engine or at least fix the framerate problem already.

lol,

does this even happen between 30 and 60?!

I noticed something was off when going through the dialogue with the vault-tec rep. Just brushed it off as bad lip syncing.

Mahalo. Unpacking now. Is the Nvidia guide gonna be back soon? I wanna know what I should/shouldn't turn off and edit in .ini for optimum performance.

Set God Rays to low will save you a ton of FPS for little to no change for starters. Hopefully the guide is up by the time I get back home from work.

Mister Wolf

Anybody else in here playing on a laptop with a 4gb 980m? If so what kind of results have u been getting shooting for 60fps at 1080p?

AU Tiger

Will test out tonight with 4770k and 980ti. Hoping for 1440/60 with everything max except god rays and going to see if Ugrid 11 or 9 can keep the fps locked at 60~ish.

Changed it in the Fallout prefs file.
uGridsToLoad=13
Saved it, played the game. I assume it worked.
Maybe performance will go down later in the game or when I'm overlooking really large expanses. But for now, it seems fine.

Have you been able to lower the ugrid count and successfully load a save game? Skryim would always crash like clockwork when trying to load a save game after lowering the ugrid count.

Given the AMD impressions in this thread, I'm guessing there's no Day1/Week1 drivers for AMD cards this go round?

Actually off the top of my head I can't even remember when's the last time they've done something like that for a specific title.

Top Bottom