• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Piggus

Wait, so no SLI? I think I'll need to switch to a sibgle 970 ASAP... :(

Like I said, I read that forcing the cards to render alternate frames via the nvidia control panel seems to be a temporary workaround, but I would like for someone here to confirm or debunk that. I'm sure it will have official SLI support at some point.

Can't view the webm on my iPhone but is game speed seriously tied to FPS?!?!

It's a bit more complicated than that - it works fine for lower framerates, but as soon as it goes above a certain point (around 100fps by most accounts), crazy things start happening. It's been like that in all Bethesda Game Studios' games since Oblivion, and it'll likely continue to be a problem for as long as they use the same game engine.

Samaritan

I've disabled vsync via the .ini file but my game is still capped at 60. Any ideas? I've already checked nVidia Control Panel/Investigator/RivaTuner to make sure it wasn't being forced on by anything else and it's not.

The only time I was able to get the framerate to unlock was by disabling it via the .ini AND forcing it off via the nVidia Control Panel, but this caused my game to crash upon load every time.

Update: I found that the crash was being caused by Fraps, not unlocking the framerate. So that much is solved.

But why is the .ini edit not working? Why am I having to go into nVidia Control Panel and manually force vsync off to get it to stick?

M2C3

Neo Member
It's a bit more complicated than that - it works fine for lower framerates, but as soon as it goes above a certain point (around 100fps by most accounts), crazy things start happening. It's been like that in all Bethesda Game Studios' previous games, and it'll likely continue to be a problem for as long as they use the same game engine.

Thank you for the explanation. I've never been able to run Bethesda games above 60 frames but now that I have 144/Ti SLI, highest possible is my goal. It sounds like 90 is about the max without shit breaking in-game. Is that about right?

Yeah those ones. It should look similar to this effect you see on consoles with the volumetric lighting:
fallout4_201510311428e2sel.png

Albeit, you have imagiune that pixelisation changing in every frame and being very temporally unstable.

Is that.... supposed to look like a penis with two hairy balls?

Thank you for the explanation. I've never been able to run Bethesda games above 60 frames but now that I have 144/Ti SLI, highest possible is my goal. It sounds like 90 is about the max without shit breaking in-game. Is that about right?

Well nobody quite knows yet. It'll be something you'll have to experiment with.

JGCD

Neo Member
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Dell)
1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (NVIDIA)
238GB SAMSUNG SSD PM830 2.5" 7mm 256GB (SSD)
2794GB SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Raven77

My PC is too shit and old to be on the benchmarks. Any ideas how this may run and if I can get anywhere near ultra? I don't care about Godrays, FYI.

Nvidia 560ti - SLI
8gb ram
Core i5 2500k stock processor

I don't care about 60fps and would be happy to play at or near ultra at 30fps / ish. Time for an upgrade???

Kezen

Banned
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Dell)
1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (NVIDIA)
238GB SAMSUNG SSD PM830 2.5" 7mm 256GB (SSD)
2794GB SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Medium settings should run rather well.

Although it would probably not be a very significant jump over consoles.

It's not 90FPS that's the limit before things begin to go crazy with this engine. It's actually 30. Many gamers(regardles of hardware)over the years have expressed they experienced less problems with physics, crashing, bugs, and other issues when locking this engine to 30. I've played NV, 3, and Skyrim tons of times at 60 with little issue. I did try locking to 30 once and it all became clear. Above all else, things like physics and crashing was no longer a factor when locked at 30. I just couldn't play at 30 for long and decided to deal with the issues that come with 60.

Manac0r

On Win 10. Running fine.

Was getting stuttering with v sync on in Control Panel, and tearing with it off.

Found a fix. V-sync on in NV control panel, pre-rendered frames to 4 and 59fps cap on in Rivatuner - runs buttery smooth at 2560x1600 Ultra.

JimmyJones

Banned
My PC is too shit and old to be on the benchmarks. Any ideas how this may run and if I can get anywhere near ultra? I don't care about Godrays, FYI.

Nvidia 560ti - SLI
8gb ram
Core i5 2500k stock processor

I don't care about 60fps and would be happy to play at or near ultra at 30fps / ish. Time for an upgrade???

Same specs as you and have it pre-loaded. Fingers crossed!

Akronis

Wait, so the reason why I can't move after using a terminal is due to the framerate? Or is it just a bug?

Hopefully if it is a framerate related bug, it'll get fixed.

Stuff like wacky physics and other possible weird, but not game-breaking bugs due to framerates will stay because this engine sucks.

To anyone that has changed the FOV has it caused any issues in game for you?

Which VPN are you using to unlock it early? ie which one has an AUS/NZ server?

I used WTFast as the other VPNs I would have used seemed to be bogged down from too many people using them for early unlocks.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
No matter what I do, it seems that the game doesn't actually go in proper full screen. I have two monitors and the mouse isn't locked to the game screen and GSync isn't working. Dunno wtf is going on.

Despera

Banned
According to the release notes for 358.91, Fallout 4 is NOT listed under "Added or Updated Application SLI Profiles."
Oh well. Currently running the game @2715x1527 with the forced SLI method and getting a constant 60fps, so it's all good.

Jin

Bethesda tweeted that there is no frame rate lock but apparently people are having problems. What's going on, are they full of shit?

It's a bit more complicated than that - it works fine for lower framerates, but as soon as it goes above a certain point (around 100fps by most accounts), crazy things start happening. It's been like that in all Bethesda Game Studios' games since Oblivion, and it'll likely continue to be a problem for as long as they use the same game engine.

How will I go about locking with Nvidia? I know with AMD I used radeon Pro.

MattyG

Banned
So I have almost 60fps at 1080p, all ultra except god rays, but in denser areas like Lexington, I get some drops. What's a setting I could drop to get a good fps gain without too much visual sacrifice?

Soodanim

It's not 90FPS that's the limit before things begin to go crazy with this engine. It's actually 30. Many gamers(regardles of hardware)over the years have expressed they experienced less problems with physics, crashing, bugs, and other issues when locking this engine to 30. I've played NV, 3, and Skyrim tons of times at 60 with little issue. I did try locking to 30 once and it all became clear. Above all else, things like physics and crashing was no longer a factor when locked at 30. I just couldn't play at 30 for long and decided to deal with the issues that come with 60.
Interesting. But yeah, there's no way I'd play at 30.

RS4-

Friend mentioned that she was having weird stuttering issues when in over the shoulder. Was pretty bad when she was walking through some of those empty homes at the start. She went back to fps and it's back to smooth 60. She didn't didable vsync, so she's not sure what she'll get out of a 970 on ultra I think.

Vamphuntr

To anyone that has changed the FOV has it caused any issues in game for you?

I used WTFast as the other VPNs I would have used seemed to be bogged down from too many people using them for early unlocks.

Cool thanks. Decrypting now. Not so bad 9 minutes to decrypt on my SSD.

LordAmused

Are you stuck in VATS? I haven't had a chance at the game yet but try the right mouse button (left trigger if you're on a controller) to unlock FPS.

I think he meant "Frames per Seconds" FPS.

I've seen some config modifications in the last few pages about FOV and such. Might want to check it out.

Lord Phol

Uhm, can't seem to find V-sync anywhere and it won't force from nvidia control panel. Any other way to enable it, or am I doing something wrong?
I need to limit my fps as things are going bonkers.

Edit: I'm stupid, had to change the Hz to 60 for my display. This is making everything feel very sluggish though, doesn't feel like 60 fps at all.

KKRT00

No motion blur like at all ;/ I tried to modify some settings in .ini, but it didnt help.
SSR doesnt work on standard geometry, so its probably only for water ;/

The biggest surprise? Mouse controls are fucked up. The x-axis is turning faster than y-axis - WTF Bethesda? Stop testing games on those stupid gamepads ;/

Top Bottom