• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy that's not even the most surprising shit Black Jack has done.

I'll soon find out ;)

Edit: Already seeing face sores that are apparently people's hidden conscious... other mystery/detective stuff and Black Jacks mentor being the author himself (all be in a different fictional design)

Watching the old anime and reading the OG manga is a great combo at the same time

I honestly haven't been this hyped for a manga in a long time. Looking at the spoilers for the recent Tokyo Ghoul Re chapter has killed me. The shit that's been revealed is full on suffering. And don't get me started on the art because man does it look beautiful.

It's pretty much a 10/10 chapter.

Now the next series I'm waiting to be released is D.Gray-Man which will be a long ass wait.😑

Sai

TG :re spoilers
Now that Kaneki's is revealed to have been physically abused by his mother, it's clear that he and Touka were really meant for each other. OTP

I've no clue whether Kaneki is back or maybe dead and it doesn't seem like this chapter gives a very clear answer.
Eh... Did we get any indication of this in Tokyo Ghoul? I can only recall her acting all selfless 'n working herself to death for other people.

Eh... Did we get any indication of this in Tokyo Ghoul? I can only recall her acting all selfless 'n working herself to death for other people.

And all that from Kaneki who isn't the most reliable narrator. Plus the whole; "It's better to be the one getting hurt then to be the one who hurts." thing. At first it was presented as some pacifist thing but now I guess it was just her going; 'fucking take it.' At first Kaneki's mom was portrayed as the typical ideal mother who died but then it turns out that she was actually an idiot and her decisions were really dumb and that Kaneki was dumb for basically repeating her mistakes.

Anteater

Kaneki's mom only cared about other people and neglected her own child, it's not that uncommon, also a lot of people don't find getting physically abused an issue and they often defend their parents

phaze

TG :re spoilers

Literally almost every character in this series has some mommy or daddy issue.

To extent yes but the two of them just match perfectly. He's her father incarnate, she has a penchant for violence. D :

I don't think there is any clear smoking gun yet. Just things that previously pointed to her faults and to Kaneki's hidden resentment for her overworking herself or ignoring him, appear much more morbid now. Though I don't think we're to take it as if the image of the mother we had till now was completely false.

I guess everyone everyone who follows the spoilers already caught it but for those who don't, 19 September is apparently a World Day for Prevention of Abuse and Violence against Children.

Now guess when this chapter releases
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

neoanarch

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=FPwZJ6s89K8

This looks like the pilot to the series. But it features Kazumi Yamashita who did The Wonder Boy. One of the most absolutely captivating series I've read. Land her current manga looks so damn interesting too. I hope someone picks it up soon.
If I'm reading it right No Manben will have more episodes in March.

Qurupeke

TG :re 53

lol I was waiting for the chapter to understand the Kaneki-Haise conversation, I certainly didn't. I guess Haise understands that he was wrong? That he was essentially too naive? Also, Noro is monstrous. I didn't expect to see something like Eto, and he's pretty close. RIP Shirazu.

Zweizer

Banned
The Little Match Girl ch1-3 + One-shot by Suzuki Sanami

A reimagination of the classic tale set in contemporary setting where, instead of fantasizing herself, the eponymous little girl dispenses fantasy-fulfilling matches to others.

As one can expect from its roots, the overall structure is pretty unremarkable, consisting of episodic stories depicting the various ways people use these matches, and how it ultimately ends for them, coupled with a bit of moral to top it off.

What makes it enjoyable however, is the delightfully stylish artstyle, especially noticeable every time someone lights a match and sees their fantasies fulfilled, which gives it a delicious gothic atmosphere.

Will this fantasy tickle your fancy? It's up to you to decide.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul :re 53

I already wasn't very fond of mental gymnastics of chapter 140 so this new
"I want do die."
thing isn't sitting very well with me either and I struggle to find it in the context of his previous actions.
I've also no idea what is happening in the last two pages, Kaneki wants to die and asks Haise to do that for him ?
If it wasn't for that "Goodnight Haise" I wouldn't even entertain the thought that Kaneki is back.

This is confusing, bring back the pede.

Furuta and Eto had some hilarious lines in this chapter.

Tokyo Ghoul :re 53

I already wasn't very fond of mental gymnastics of chapter 140 so this new
"I want do die."
thing isn't sitting very well with me either and I struggle to find it in the context of his previous actions.
I've also no idea what is happening in the last two pages, Kaneki wants to die and asks Haise to do that for him ?
If it wasn't for that "Goodnight Haise" I wouldn't even entertain the thought that Kaneki is back.

This is confusing, bring back the pede.

Furuta and Eto had some hilarious lines in this chapter.

Considering how shitty Kaneki's life has been him
wanting to die isn't something out there. Plus you have to remember all those suicide missions Kaneki went through. The Anteiku Raid he knew everyone would die but he still went. Basically Kaneki wants to die in a heroic way. Which is why he wanted to die by Arima's hands because he is the God of Death, the strongest person you can die by. You can say Haise is the little part of Kaneki that wants to live while the other part wants to die.

So yeah hopefully a few more chapters will clear things up.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
No Tomo for a week....Damn.

Darn it.

Ressentiment end

A story about escapism fantasy by Kengo Hanazawa.
Our protagonist is a a 30 y.o loser name Takuro. He still live with his parent and he's having a dead end job. He's fat, ugly, no girlfriend (of course). One day, his friend convince him to try the new VR game. So he did. Unlike majority of VR escapism where VR world shown to be beautiful, perfect, or ideal, Kengo Hanazawa avert it right away. Takuro avatar is not handsome at all since he based it on his younger self, and when he meet the girl of his dream in VR world, she's pooping in the sea. Yup. Kengo Hanazawa basically make fun of every escapism story out there.

Funny how his work become more relevant today with the abundant of escapism story become more and more popular. In VR world, Takuro is living his dream, but in a real world, he still a pathetic human being, with his ball sacks hanging out his underwear. He refuse to change or do anything better in real world, continue living his VR world. The author keep showing the dirty side of real world. In VR, the protagonist was shown having sex, while in real life, he's just using some kind of tenga/sex toys that connected with the machine. Then of course he need to clean that shit up.

The story keep escalate, and there's a hope for Takuro to change himself in real world. A chance to become a decent human being. Did he take the chance, or did he still want to indulge himself in VR? Well, by the end of it, he try to kill himself in attempt to live in VR, but even then he failed. His refusal to change was shown in ending. He is still pathetic and still working a dead end job. In a way, it's a fitting ending for him. Takuro might be one pathetic protagonist, but in a way, i can sympathize with him. He's just a man living his live. He's not a hero. He made a mistake along the way, and he must live with the consequences. But he is still a good guy.

On the other hand, Tsukiko, the AI who decide she want to change get another chance to live in a real world (something about bio technology and AI containing human DNA. I have no idea how it work, but it work, i'm not gonna question it).

The journey toward the ending is a bit rushed IMO, but it's still great. When i finish reading it, i feel conflicted toward the whole ending. I don't know if i should be happy or sad. One thing for sure, the last page is one powerful stuff.

Lain

When i finish reading it, i feel conflicted toward the whole ending. I don't know if i should be happy or sad. One thing for sure, the last page is one powerful stuff.

I definitely felt both. Can't say it wasn't warranted but somehow, I was hoping for a ... happier end.

Hajime no Ippo - Last Two Arcs

After what was a very long run of bad Ippo, these last 2 arcs rank among some of the best in the entire series.

Ippo's fight with Gonzalez was fucking fantastic. It was a great introduction of Ippo to a real world class athlete, a real stop gap to his rise that showed just how far away Martinez is from him. Ippo's string of victories had people talking about when he was gonna finally fight Martinez like it was a foregone conclusion and this fight was such a sobering and shocking event. Nobody was expecting Ippo to lose (reader-wise) and the consequences of it were 1000x higher than him losing to Date. Specifically it had an incredible consequence for The Coach, Takamura and that fucking shitdick Manabu. The Coach was so fucking scared at the end of the fight it was a real emotional moment to see him that shook. Takamura and his relationship with The Coach and how he feels seeing the Coach look so distraught and awful when his entire goal was to make The Coach happy and proud. And Manabu finally got some legit characterization that wasn't just him being a fucking awful character; he finally saw what it was like to have his idol shattered. How more than anything he's disappointed. How his goal for boxing has just become something more than a hope to run after. This fight was fantastic and the ending was perfect.

And then right after you have Takamura's fight with Bison. You have someone punching up a bit at Takamura and it's a great fight but what makes it is how when Takamura starts losing and losing bad the effects of the previous chapter comes to light in EVERYONE. Ippo losing changes this entire arc into one of terror and desperation for everyone involved, full of so much emotion that isn't just "fighting spirit" like it normally is. Ippo is seeing exactly what Manabu saw in his fight. To Ippo (and Manabu) there was a single truth in this world; Takamura does not lose. For Kimura and Aoki this has been shown to be doubly true, in the face of all their failures he is the chosen one that they throw their everything at. He's their end, what they strive to be. Takamura is the Great Japanese Hope for the Kamogawa Gym. If Takamura were to ever lose they have nothing. And Takamura doesn't care if they look up to him or not, he only ever has his eyes on one thing and that's the Coach. After all the feelings he had, the anger and jealousy and mostly anger at the way Coach looked at Ippo he is disgusted to see Kamogawa look at him the same way. "Look at me, look at me. I will bring you those trophies, those belts, look at me. I don't ever want to see that look on your face. Don't you ever make that face. Look only at me and you'll never have to make that face again." And Kamogawa himself after watching Ippo get rocked and getting so worried about it he sees it happen in front of him again and what's he do? He tries to "help" Takamura the same way he helped Ippo and it puts him right back to that fear when he saw Ippo lose. When Kamogawa grabs the towel and Takamura sees it, goddam. I don't know if it'll continue like this, but Kamogawa's reaction to this fight and what he almost did to Takamura (betray him, basically) may have longer reaching consequences. Kimura and Aoki basically save the fight and snap Kamogawa out of it but at the same time...

These two arcs have been incredible. The Gonzalez and Bison fights have also been so good because they weren't gimmick fights; both fighters were just REALLY GOOD boxers and it made the fights so intense and so much better. They just took it to them. And the fights themselves were drawn amazingly and incredibly fun to read.

This was some awesome shit

So Eto starts off with why Kaneki didn't dodge...then that kaneki and Haise convo. Wow. I didn't realize his mom abused him. ;_;

It seems like Haise won't run away from his past anymore. I don't think Kaneki is back,
it's just that he's gone to rest now and Haise has decided not to shut off his past and run away from it anymore.

Akito

I've been catching up with some Jump manga over the last couple of weeks.

Haikyuu
Still pretty fun but man the matches are taking forever already, don't think I'll ever follow this on a weekly basis again.

Soma
I was feeling this until the edgelord that is Erina's father made an appearance, everything turned into shit afterwards
[/hyperbole]
. Fundamentally I'm all for developing Erina as an character but if it means turning her into a literal damsel in distress then I'm good. If only I would get a penny every time Soma is "on the verge" of being expelled, I might have my own yacht by now.

Boku no Hero Academia
Uh yeah, it's readable, at this point I don't think I'll ever get the hype for this series.

I definitely should read more ongoing series in batches like this, I'm looking at you Kingdom.

I've been catching up with some Jump manga over the last couple of weeks.

Haikyuu
Still pretty fun but man the matches are taking forever already, don't think I'll ever follow this on a weekly basis again.

That kind of makes me remember the days when it was unpopular and the only way for people in the west to read, and it was behind an arc or two.

Current match should be ending in weeks though, so nail biting and exciting.

Fairy Tail 462

Well Mashima wants to finish fast if Natsu is already heading there.

Though I guess we'll get the usual mix of Gray chapters, juvia ones, lucy, etc. Im hoping Gray's will be epic.

UQ Holder! 102

That was almost really good for Kuromaru but the whole chest thing is awkward and it would be better if he would stay a he and still have loving feelings for Touta nii.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka

Iwami just offered to have sex with MC just so he could get some better confidence. Yeah.

And for the love of God please tell me Aoi got fired so Yuu will fucking let her in the band.

UQ Holder

Yeah, I'm thinking Kuroumaru is going to choose to be male also. After weighing the "I could be waifu if I were a girl" or the "I can be his reliable partner if I'm a guy" options.

UQ Holder

Yeah, I'm thinking Kuroumaru is going to choose to be male also. After weighing the "I could be waifu if I were a girl" or the "I can be his reliable partner if I'm a guy" options.

That'd be really upsetting given the nature of the world, there really shouldn't be anything keeping a girl from being super strong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom