• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My favorite part is how they claimed it was due to the scanlators just being too busy and not the existence of actual legal ramifications for stealing shit.

How long before other groups pick up the series?

Hopefully never

They've probably decided to crack down since stuff has been coming out so early. We saw the same thing a few years ago when we started getting Wednesday scans, they cracked down pretty hard. It's just what happens when raws are coming out way too early.

Nah, its because they caught one guy who led them to his accomplices.

dumbyugi

Ore-Sama Teacher 1-113

Finally got around to reading this. I guess as expected from the Nozaki author but this is really good. The comedy is great and even the drama isn't awful. The characters are where this series really shines. Mafuyu is easily the best character. Her lust for friends and a normal life work great with her still being a banchou at heart. She oddly enough reminds me of Yako from Majin Tantei Nogami Neuro. Actually the relationship between Saeki and Mafuyu reminds me a lot of the relationship between Yako and Neuro. I have a few small issues with the story of the series though. The individual story arcs about all the different characters are all pretty good, if not a bit predictable. It's the overarching story that I have a problem with. Saeki has bet with the school chairman that he can bring the schools reputation back to it's former glory in 3 years and if he does then he will get the school back for his Grandfather. The problem is that except for a couple of vague "the school is getting better" mentions nothing has really progressed. The thing about Miyabi having his own bet against Runa was weird as well, I don't think I really understand what they were betting on. Overall I really enjoyed catching up with this and I just hope it doesn't end with Mafuyu ending up with Saeki.

Zweizer

Banned
God’s Left Hand, Devil's Right Hand END

Well that was...something. Rather nonsensical, pretty gruesome and I think the words "aaaaaaah" "gwaaaaaaaah" and "sister" were said about 10,000 times each.

At times it felt more like a black comedy then a horror series, it may be rather gruesome but I still burst out laughing when Sou was possessed and shot a fucking harpoon gun which missed, bounced off a car and impaled his mother in the chest. Like c'mon, that is hilairous.

The final page, THE VERY LAST PAGE OF THE SERIES is a monkey drawing the big bad guy, turning to the viewer and smiling like an evil asshole. C'mon. This is a comedy.

Yeah, it's pretty much nonsensical gruesomeness. Still, it's a classic of the genre.

Numb

Tales of Demons and Gods 29

Market tactics.
How much more are you gonna make Hinata fall in love with you just to go for Sakura in the end?

Manga Sales Japan Nov 9-15

*1. 340,097 *,340,097 Orange Vol.5
*2. 118,881 *,226,114 Ajin Vol.7
*3. *94,626 *,350,111 Bleach Vol.70
*4. *77,948 *,169,333 Yowamushi Pedal Vol.42
*5. *70,732 *,245,031 Nisekoi Vol.20
*6. *65,099 *,*65,099 Koi to Uso Vol.3
*7. *64,050 *,251,811 Gintama Vol.61
*8. *63,088 *,238,375 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.6
*9. *43,867 *,*44,080 Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou Vol.10
10. *41,917 *,*41,917 Love Phantom Vol.2

11. *38,505 *,101,087 Gakuen Babysitters Vol.12
12. *37,863 *,*37,863 Kurosaki-kun no Iinari ni Nante Naranai Vol.5
13. *36,257 *,*36,257 Nanatsuya: Shinobu no Housekibako Vol.2
14. *34,568 *,*75,734 Witch Craft Works Vol.9
15. *34,006 *,*62,293 Mahou Shoujo of the End Vol.10
16. *33,901 *,*34,139 Itsuka Tiffany de Choushoku wo Vol.8
17. *33,712 *,*33,921 Ouroboros: Keisatsu wo Sabaku Haware ni Ari Vol.21
18. *33,440 *,111,049 Kuroko no Basket: Replace Plus Vol.2
19. *30,922 *,*80,804 Hana Nochi Hare: HanaDan Next Season Vol.2
20. *30,437 2,786,253 One Piece Vol.79

21. *30,234 *,*63,833 3x3 Eyes: Genjuu no Mori no Sounansha Vol.2
22. *30,130 *,*30,130 Hana no Zubora Meshi Vol.3
23. *28,679 *,646,103 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.17
24. *26,589 *,652,937 One Punch-Man Vol.9
25. *25,993 *,729,193 One Punch-Man Vol.8
26. *25,794 *,767,967 One Punch-Man Vol.5
27. *25,699 *,797,499 One Punch-Man Vol.4
28. *25,353 *,749,018 One Punch-Man Vol.6
29. *25,058 *,752,274 One Punch-Man Vol.7
30. *24,819 *,820,585 One Punch-Man Vol.3

31. *24,609 *,941,605 One Punch-Man Vol.1
32. *24,558 *,217,582 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Vol.11
33. *24,319 *,872,257 One Punch-Man Vol.2
34. *24,107 *,*46,446 Frau Faust Vol.2
35. *23,282 *,*23,282 Neko Mix Genkitan Toraji Vol.9
36. *21,884 *,517,646 Orange Vol.1
37. *21,544 *,*21,544 Papa to Oyaji no Uchi Gohan Vol.3
38. *21,177 *,562,732 Kingdom Vol.40
39. *20,816 *,*20,816 Hatarakanai Futari Vol.6
40. *20,465 *,*20,465 Ooedo Youkai Kawaraban Vol.5

41. *20,252 *,580,986 Orange Vol.4
42. *19,777 *,*31,246 Kantai Collection Comic a la Carte: Maizuru Chinjufu-hen Vol.9
43. *19,615 *,488,122 Orange Vol.2
44. *19,168 *,*19,168 Chicchai Toki kara Suki dakedo Vol.7
45. *19,139 *,457,531 Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Vol.27
46. *18,895 *,566,772 Orange Vol.3
47. *18,619 *,*18,619 Mikami-sensei no Aishikata Vol.2
48. *18,476 *,157,951 Ten Count Vol.4
49. *18,105 *,*33,750 Hakaiju Vol.16
50. *17,828 *,*37,575 Kiss x Sis Vol.15

Jaxec

I have a question regarding manga sales. I'm glad OPM got a boost, but how good of a boost is it? Weren't these volumes already seeking massively before the anime? Aren't boost of 20,000 kind of low for a series that already sells more than 600,000? Or is it that it's better for a series to have these numbers for several weeks as opposed to all at once? Also how do these boosts compare to things like NnT or Tokyo Ghoul? Sorry for the long post.

I have a question regarding manga sales. I'm glad OPM got a boost, but how good of a boost is it? Weren't these volumes already seeking massively before the anime? Aren't boost of 20,000 kind of low for a series that already sells more than 600,000? Or is it that it's better for a series to have these numbers for several weeks as opposed to all at once? Also how do these boosts compare to things like NnT or Tokyo Ghoul? Sorry for the long post.

It's a pretty similar boost that we saw for stuff like TG and AoT. The fact you see so many volumes on the chart like that means people are buying multiple volumes to own the series and catch up on the series which is what all parties want.

Back catalog sales are important. If people are buying the older volumes, more will buy the newer ones as well. The boost isnt as big as 7 Deadly Sins or Tokyo Ghoul but OPM was never on that level to begin with. Also, OPM's anime discs are selling well which is an anomaly. It's safe to say that it is a success for everyone involved.

Jaxec

It's a pretty similar boost that we saw for stuff like TG and AoT. The fact you see so many volumes on the chart like that means people are buying multiple volumes to own the series and catch up on the series which is what all parties want.

Back catalog sales are important. If people are buying the older volumes, more will buy the newer ones as well. The boost isnt as big as 7 Deadly Sins or Tokyo Ghoul but OPM was never on that level to begin with. Also, OPM's anime discs are selling well which is an anomaly. It's safe to say that it is a success for everyone involved.

Thanks for the quick replies. That's good, I'm glad for OPM.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches 183

oh god they still have another year of school to do

Obviously gonna just invent a new plot. Rika, Leona, Asuka and Yamazaki haven't even been relevant characters in 100 chapters.

nice to see Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou selling good

wish it would get picked for the west, maybe with tonari no kaibutsu-kun's release ending soon (absolutely amazed it didn't get hitatus'd midway) kodansha should pick up something new that isn't AoT or Fairy Tail

Comparing it to Shingeki is not accurate unless OPM somehow keeps charting for months beyond the end of the anime and also shingeki was doing much greater than what OPM was doing for many weeks like shingeki v1 and v2 and so were getting ~40K or more each week after ep2 aired.

Angry Grimace

Comparing it to Shingeki is not accurate unless OPM somehow keeps charting for months beyond the end of the anime and also shingeki was doing much greater than what OPM was doing for many weeks like shingeki v1 and v2 and so were getting ~40K or more each week after ep2 aired.

Basically this, AOT is a legitimate huge hit.

Busaiku

It's hilarious how Kodansha USA hyped up Attack on Titan drawn by US artists to be this big, important thing for the franchise, when it'll sell like 1% of the average volume.

But One Punch Man anime discs havent released yet?

Usobuko

Banned
I actually think that the boost to OPM is significant. In recent history, we have AoT, Tokyo Ghoul, and Seven Deadly Sins.

OPM is around Seven Deadly Sins and Tokyo Ghoul level strictly speaking about boost. For LTD, I think OPM would beat them.

AoT is incomparable unless you're One Piece.

I actually think that the boost to OPM is significant. In recent history, we have AoT, Tokyo Ghoul, and Seven Deadly Sins.

OPM is around Seven Deadly Sins and Tokyo Ghoul level strictly speaking about boost. For LTD, I think OPM would beat them.

You wouldnt count Haikyuu!!? HQ went from 4mln sales in early 2014 (anime started apr '14) to 12mln sales Jan 1 2015 to 18mln reported last week.

Zweizer

Banned
Henjo - Hen na Joshi Kousei Amaguri Chiko ch7

If this goes on, the dude either won't say long, or will stay there for the rest of his life.

p5iafqv.png

Totally understandable.

kewlmyc

Didn't Magi get a significant boost as well when it first aired?

And One Piece is just incomparable. It's literally been the best selling series of the year for all but 3 years of it's 18 year run (It wasn't the best selling in it's 1st year, or 2005-2006 I believe)

So how far behind is US Shonen Jump with Nisekoi?

The loss of Silver Spoon though, thats depressing. Hopefully that gets picked up.
There isn't much of Silver Spoon left and it gets released sporadically. Viz are imbeciles for not releasing it here. Oh well, own the Japanese volumes.

VRMN

RHS only did one thing -- Hayate -- that I was glad for because of how far behind official releases are. If that gets picked up, great...otherwise I'll wait for Viz to catch up in like four years. :p

The other stuff has legal avenues that aren't literally years behind, so honestly, good riddance. I'd just like to see legal simulpub manga exist beyond US Shounen Jump and Crunchyroll's offerings.

I want a legal website with tiers. Like people who visit or subscribe but don't go through the pay wall get chapters like a couple weeks behind, whereas the people who do pay whatever a month get the chapter in the same week or whatever. A Crunchy Roll for manga basically.

VRMN

I want a legal website with tiers. Like people who visit or subscribe but don't go through the pay wall get chapters like a couple weeks behind, whereas the people who do pay whatever a month get the chapter in the same week or whatever. A Crunchy Roll for manga basically.

I do think the way CR handles it is weird; the inverse of their anime system. Where you have to subscribe to catch up, but once you do new chapters are free. And Shounen Jump's system makes sense for a physical magazine, but it's impossible to catch up on their service. It's literally tailored to people who read pirated scans with legal readers left on their years old volume system.

Manga has proven a harder nut to crack for digital distribution just because there's so much of it it's basically impossible for it to ever be the way English anime is now, where most things are legally distributed within a week of Japanese release.

It's really a shame, because I would happily pay for a truly CR-type service, but it's probably much harder to manage. It'd probably have to be more like US Shounen Jump where there are deals with the magazines. But then you run into existing deals...it's a mess.

Shengar

I just want a legal website where third worlder like me can subscribe without being fucked up with regional license :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom