• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 12•18-20•09 - as peeps wed game characters, avatar is born...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
New estimates have Avatar losing the OW record by a hair, keeping I Am Legend as number one.

2upfjg3.jpg

If Avatar was in a few more theaters, like say more like 3600+ than 3400+ it has, it would probably have smashed pass $80 million and claimed the top stop easily.

turnbuckle

I'm gonna see this at least 2 more times. My first viewing was at an IMAX in 3D, but I wanna see it once in 3D at a local theatre (uses RealD or whatever) and probably once in 2D too. I want to take my dad to see it one of those times, but I was wondering if anyone knows how well the RealD glasses fit over prescription ones. If they don't work out very well, I'll see the 2D showing with the father.

Can't believe up until about 6 months ago I paid no attention to any discussion on this movie. I just saw the title and always assumed it was based on the Last Airbender. I'm pretty sure that was common though, so I won't make myself feel too dumb about that one :lol

Evlar

Banned
turnbuckle said:
I'm gonna see this at least 2 more times. My first viewing was at an IMAX in 3D, but I wanna see it once in 3D at a local theatre (uses RealD or whatever) and probably once in 2D too. I want to take my dad to see it one of those times, but I was wondering if anyone knows how well the RealD glasses fit over prescription ones. If they don't work out very well, I'll see the 2D showing with the father.

Can't believe up until about 6 months ago I paid no attention to any discussion on this movie. I just saw the title and always assumed it was based on the Last Airbender. I'm pretty sure that was common though, so I won't make myself feel too dumb about that one :lol
The RealD glasses work fine over most prescription frames. I've watched a half-dozen 3D movies that way over the past year and a half.

GhaleonEB

The world-wide take was $10m more than estimated ($4m in the US, $6m internationally), to $242m instead of the estimated $232m.

Internationally, the epic surisingly shot up +3% from Saturday to Sunday for $165.5M (not $159.2M) in 106 countries. That's a $242.3M worldwide bow.
http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/f...-prices-hollywood-now-predicting-85m-weekend/

The 3% increase from Saturday to Sunday overseas is probably similar to what would have happened in the US (instead of a 3% drop) had the storm not hit the east coast. Which indicates it's going to have made legs everywhere, not just in the US.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
GhaleonEB said:
The world-wide take was $10m more than estimated ($4m in the US, $6m internationally), to $242m instead of the estimated $232m.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/f...-prices-hollywood-now-predicting-85m-weekend/

The 3% increase from Saturday to Sunday overseas is probably similar to what would have happened in the US (instead of a 3% drop) had the storm not hit the east coast. Which indicates it's going to have made legs everywhere, not just in the US.
I was going to mention. The theater I work by was packed on Sunday while so-so on Saturday. Same with where I work at. It was allot nicer out so allot more came. Simple as that.

Nice start for Avatar. Can't wait to see it.

Jibril said:
How badass would it be if Willy WENT to Pandora, punched a Na'vi in the face, as a welcome greeting and said "Welcome to URF".

:lol
He says Earth, goddamn it!

Fake edit: Someone already beat me, but it needs to be reiterated.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:

That kills my and others theory that believed that the snow storm was the reason the dollar amount only fell by 3%.

Looks like it actually would have increased on Sunday regardless.

Solo

DMczaf said:
I'm going to make my '2008 Solo' Prediction of the Year

Avatar is going to make $550 million Domestic.

You're doing it wrong. A "2008 Solo" prediction would have been saying Avatar will make no more than $150M.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How in the world can it cost 105M to make a fucking 2D animated movie?

FoneBone

Ether_Snake said:
How in the world can it cost 105M to make a fucking 2D animated movie?
Easily? All of Disney's 2D movies since Tarzan (other than, I think, Lilo & Stitch) cost at least as much, if not more.

DMczaf

Holidays are here. Weekday numbers will be a lot bigger than usual. Check out Princess and the Frog, Blind Side, and Twilight. All of them went UP from their previous Mondays. Crazy.

Princess and the Frog getting it's 2nd life, it went up 118%. Holy cow.

GhaleonEB

gdt5016 said:
After posting the second biggest December opening in history, James Cameron's Avatar showed no signs of slowing as it grossed an astonishing $16.4M on Monday, a huge figure for a non-summer weekday. The Fox hit has now taken in an amazing $93.4M in just four days and will shatter the $100M mark in only five days.
The figure more than doubled the $7.5M that I Am Legend grossed in its first Monday in December of 2007. That film still holds the opening weekend record for the month with $77.2M but reached a smaller $84.7M in its first four days.

Overall, Avatar surged to the third largest non-holiday Monday ever behind only The Dark Knight's $24.5M and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest's $18.1M. Both of those were in July on the fourth day of release immediately following an all-time record-breaking opening weekend. They were also in the summer when all students were out of school. On Avatar's Monday, a very large share of students had no class but some were still in school. Normally, Monday would need to be Memorial Day or some other major holiday in order to post a gross like this.

Fixed!

After a slightly smaller weekend debut that I Am Legend, Avatar is now tracking over $8m ahead a day later. IAL brought in $256m total, domestic.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Now how much would that be without the 3D surcharge?

DMczaf said:
Princess and the Frog getting it's 2nd life, it went up 118%. Holy cow.
Very nice. I'd really like that one to at least be a moderate success in the long-run.

I saw Avatar on the opening day at 7pm and the theater was about 75% full. My sister saw it on Sunday at 7pm and the theater was overflowing and people were sitting on the floor.

My sister also loved the movie and cried when
the tree fell.
. This movie is going to have very strong legs at least through the holiday break. As already mentioned, it's getting great word of mouth.

FoneBone

GhaleonEB said:
As for Sherlock Holmes, I think we'll see a repeat of when Titanic and Tomorrow Never Dies squared off. The latter did very well, but faded fast.
I would have :lol'ed at this a week or two ago, but now I'm pretty sure you're right. Of course, as with Tomorrow Never Dies, that doesn't mean Holmes can't be successful anyway.

GhaleonEB

World wide weekend debut: $242m

Current world wide take: $285m

Avatar made $43m WW yesterday. Which is bonkers.

FoneBone said:
I would have :lol'ed at this a week or two ago, but now I'm pretty sure you're right. Of course, as with Tomorrow Never Dies, that doesn't mean Holmes can't be successful anyway.
Yeah that was what I was trying to say: it will have a good debut, make lots of money, and be gone long before Avatar is done hauling it in.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
GhaleonEB said:
World wide weekend debut: $242m

Current world wide take: $285m

Avatar made $43m WW yesterday. Which is bonkers.

Yeah that was what I was trying to say: it will have a good debut, make lots of money, and be gone long before Avatar is done hauling it in.
Tomorrow Never Dies was my first Bond movie in theaters...I loved it and it started my love affair with Bond <3. Brosnan was sexy too:lol

I ended up seeing Titanic a few months after.

Christopher

If Disney had to go out with a bang at least Princess and the Frog can fit right in with the 90's films instead of the last one which was Home on the Range.

I was thinking Holmes could beat Avatar, but I'm doubting that. Reviews have it as being good, but not great. If it had been great, it could have pulled a Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and come out of nowhere to make a ton and beat Avatar, but I just don't see that happening at this point.

GhaleonEB

For the hell of it: Avatar is tracking better on a day to day basis than Titanic.

Titanic Saturday-Sunday Drop: -12.8%
Avatar Saturday-Sunday Drop: -3.1%

Titanic Sunday-Monday Drop: -40.1%
Avatar Sunday-Monday Drop: -33.8%

I'm mostly being facetious with this comparison. :p

FoneBone

DMczaf said:
I'm predicting a 2nd weekend increase.

david-caruso-csi-miami.jpg

Dead serious.
I've eaten crow about Avatar before, but still... no. Given that (a)second-weekend increases are extremely rare, and no movie opening nearly as big as Avatar has ever pulled it off; and (b) there's strong competition for every demographic this week, it ain't happening. It could come remarkably close, though.

GhaleonEB

FoneBone said:
I've eaten crow about Avatar before, but still... no. Given that (a)second-weekend increases are extremely rare, and no movie opening nearly as big as Avatar has ever pulled it off; and (b) there's strong competition for every demographic this week, it ain't happening. It could come remarkably close, though.
The overall marketplace is typically larger during the week of Christmas, however, so it can accomodate the extra competition.

I don't think it will go up. But I can see a sub-20% drop.

DMczaf

Looking at how previous big movies had drops during the weekend close to Christmas, I feel pretty safe wtih my prediction. Even National Treasure 2 had a 20% drop that weekend.

FoneBone

DMczaf said:
. Even National Treasure 2 had a 20% drop that weekend.
The weekend you're looking at is the weekend after Christmas, and the Christmas Day openers that year were incredibly weak -- not the case this year.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FoneBone said:
Easily? All of Disney's 2D movies since Tarzan (other than, I think, Lilo & Stitch) cost at least as much, if not more.

Tarzan is apparently still the most expensive 2D pic Disney has made.

gdt

AVATAR makes $16.1M on TUE, -2% from MON, boosting 5day total to $109.5M. 4th pic of 09 to hit $100M in 5 days or less.

turnbuckle

I'm seeing it at an IMAX again this weekend with 1 person more than I saw it last weekend. Possibly 2 more.

I'll go bold too and bet we see an increase. :D

Princess and the Frog is going to be fine. Everyone at Disney knew what they were getting into when they made it. It's 2D, it has a black protagonist, it's a fairy tale musical. The budget is huge because it was in development hell forever. Disney isn't going to dump 2D again because an obvious hard sell did only "well" at the BO. They still have at least two more 2D films in production and the PatF team is going to start on another one early next year.

turnbuckle

I rarely watch tv so I don't really see ads for movies in general. I just always assumed the Princess & the Frog would be coming out in May/June. I didn't realize it was right around the corner until one of those "X movies to watch in November/December" threads popped up.

Are people really watching that Morgans shit? Looks like the worst rom com in YEARS.

GO SUPPORT UP IN THE AIR WHAT THE FUCK. IT'S GOING TO WIN BEST PIC FOR A REASON

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom