• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Togashi
20151218_hghysoka_pc07.jpg

20151218_hghysoka_pc09.jpg

20151218_hghysoka_pc10.jpg

WTF

I really do not get what you guys don't like about this new SnS arc. The villains in Soma have always been fairly comical and over the top including Erina in her introduction. Also the side characters almost never got focus before they almost always played second fiddle to the leads. Really the only thing that's changed is Erina is now in a far more vulnerable state which is more interesting then her being queen tsundere

Zero stakes since Soma will win with nothing to shake it up, and the ways he is winning aren't interesting enough to make up for that. Main villain's ideology makes no sense. Erina does nothing but cower despite the fact the arc would be good development for her. The fact someone could do a hostile takeover so easy doesn't make any sense either. Isn't this an ultra prestigious school that rakes in money?

Zero stakes since Soma will win with nothing to shake it up. Main villain's ideology makes no sense. Erina does nothing but cower despite the fact the arc would be good development for her. The fact someone could do a hostile takeover so easy doesn't make any sense either. Isn't this an ultra prestigious school that rakes in money?

I mean most shonen/sports shonen fall into the trap that the hero always has to win or the story ends so why is it such an issue with Soma? I'm not sure how the main villains idea is that hard to follow, what he deems to be gourmet is what the school will teach and he'll teach people to appreciate that level of gourmet. It's a concept that's been teased since Erina was first introduced saying Soma's great tasting food was "disgusting" because it's outside of her comfort zone to accept as good food. And finally its gonna be a long arc and Erina clearly had a very dark and fucked up past to expect her to be making massive changes this quickly would be sloppy shitty writing.

Most of the time the draw is "Oh man, I wonder how the hero will get out of this one" but I never feel that way about Soma because he just brute forces it with no plan and it never feels clever. This arc has made that really apparent.

I mean most shonen/sports shonen fall into the trap that the hero always has to win or the story ends so why is it such an issue with Soma? I'm not sure how the main villains idea is that hard to follow, what he deems to be gourmet is what the school will teach and he'll teach people to appreciate that level of gourmet. It's a concept that's been teased since Erina was first introduced saying Soma's great tasting food was "disgusting" because it's outside of her comfort zone to accept as good food. And finally its gonna be a long arc and Erina clearly had a very dark and fucked up past to expect her to be making massive changes this quickly would be sloppy shitty writing.

Soma escalated extremely quickly, to the point where the whole "if he loses we won't have a series any more" problem cropped up much earlier than usual.

Also, it doesn't have the fallback consequences that something like, say, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has, since a narrow win doesn't hurt Soma at all. Either he loses, and the series ends, and he wins, and nothing bad happens to him.

Also, what Metroid said. It's all very "my Kung Fu is just that much stronger than yours" sorta stuff.

Shounen Jump Issue 5/6:
One Piece (Cover, Lead CP)
Zenei no Archer (CP, One Shot by Fujimaki Tadatoshi)
Food Fighter Tabelu (Jump+ Special Chapter)
Some 4koma (They didn't post any more info about)
Boku no Hero Academia (CP)
Black Clover (CP)
1. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
2. Haikyuu!!
3. Hinomaru Zumou
4. Samon-kun wa Summoner
5. Toriko
6. Mononofu
7. Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouen-mae Hashutsujo
8. Sesuji wo Pin! to
9. Shokugeki no Souma
10. Saiki Kusou no Sainan
11.World Trigger
12. Gintama
13. Buddy Strike
14. Nisekoi
15. Bleach
16. Isobe Isobee Monogatari

NO FUCKING WAY

That's not

I mean

I can't

NO FUCKING WAY

I mean I dead at Hisoka alone but adding those two particular figures behind him

Is Chitoge the protagonist of Nisekoi or something? Whenever they need a rep its always her.

she is the most unique/vibrant looking person from the early cast (it was either her or Raku and then maybe Onodera) they likely decided this in order to draw the consumers attention and curiosity

I mean Raku is pretty plain and Onodera also had just plain brown hair and looked kinda generic (Raku at least had that cross clip on his head)

Tripon

Overlord 1-11

Continuing my fantasy manga reading, I checked out Overlord. A guy apends the last hour of an MMO and somehow gets transported to a fantasy world as Momoga, the Elder Lich. So he basically spends his time as acting as the overall anti-hero/villian of the world. Heard there is an anime so will check it out later.

Overlord 1-11

Continuing my fantasy manga reading, I checked out Overlord. A guy apends the last hour of an MMO and somehow gets transported to a fantasy world as Momoga, the Elder Lich. So he basically spends his time as acting as the overall anti-hero/villian of the world. Heard there is an anime so will check it out later.

Overlord anime and LN is great.

Most of the time the draw is "Oh man, I wonder how the hero will get out of this one" but I never feel that way about Soma because he just brute forces it with no plan and it never feels clever. This arc has made that really apparent.

Soma escalated extremely quickly, to the point where the whole "if he loses we won't have a series any more" problem cropped up much earlier than usual.

Also, it doesn't have the fallback consequences that something like, say, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi has, since a narrow win doesn't hurt Soma at all. Either he loses, and the series ends, and he wins, and nothing bad happens to him.

Also, what Metroid said. It's all very "my Kung Fu is just that much stronger than yours" sorta stuff.

I don't see this either, we've seen all kinds of different ways Soma has beaten his opponents in the various challenges he's faced in the series. This most recent shokugeki is the only one in recent memory that would remotely fall under the "my cooking is stronger then your cooking" which worked well for what the story has set up in this arc both with the new villain and with Eizan himself. Erina's father believes in the idea of only certian things being done the perfect established way is gourmet food, yet Soma, his father, and his friends all fall into this category of exprimenting to find unorthodox ways of making amazing tasting food which the new system is attempting to wipe out. Eizan who stopped experimenting/practicing becuase he was good enough and focused on the business side of things being beaten by an unorthodox method style feels appropriate as it completely contrasts the new philosphy the school is supposed to have.

When Soma teamed up with various students to improve his dish though the festival, when he realized he couldn't beat his rivals in the tournament in findinf fresh fish so he found a way to cook something amazing with the worst ones, when he came up with a clever way to male and serve kaarage to save the shopping district, Or when Soma realized his buffet choice was a mistake and got people's attention though showmanship, how do these among many others not show a variety of interesting/clever ways for Soma to overcome the various obstacles in his path. Sometimes it comes from planning ahead of time, sometimes from learning from previous experiences, sometimes from improving on the spot, and yes even just by being a purely better cook.

I feel like people for some reason are having massive tunnel vision when it comes to this arc. The only thing thats really changed is that the series is a lot less lewd from where it started.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How did Samon ever catch on.
I figured that'd be gone after like a week.

Maybe it had a massive retool that made the title character likable?
I remember reading the chapters in English Jump and it was just... unpleasant.

Boogiepop

How did Samon ever catch on.
I figured that'd be gone after like a week.

Oh man, that's bizarre to me at least. I've admittedly only been keeping up with the English Shonen Jump release and they just gave it the three issue preview they tend to do, so I haven't read all that's out. But I honestly felt it was the worst new series since they started doing those "Jump Start" previews of all the new stuff around a year ago, outside of E-Robot. Meanwhile I actually liked what I saw of Buddy Strike, but that doesn't seem to be doing too hot...

Oh well, hopefully Samon will polish up well if it's indeed going to be sticking around.

Boogiepop

Also, just out of curiosity and as something I'll maybe check out one day: I watched a good bit of the anime for Shaman King way back when it was airing in the US, and by happenstance also read the final volume when it released in English, and... it did not have a solid ending. And that's kind of always turned me off of going back and reading through the series properly. However, I know there's now Flowers and whatnot, so does the series have a bit more satisfying of an ending than the abrupt
Princess Hao
, at least enough to take away some of the bite of that nowadays?

Revo

Kubera s2ch163

wonder if leez can get yuta back to the good side or if his natural wants will be enhanced by his current situation

Also, just out of curiosity and as something I'll maybe check out one day: I watched a good bit of the anime for Shaman King way back when it was airing in the US, and by happenstance also read the final volume when it released in English, and... it did not have a solid ending. And that's kind of always turned me off of going back and reading through the series properly. However, I know there's now Flowers and whatnot, so does the series have a bit more satisfying of an ending than the abrupt
Princess Hao
, at least enough to take away some of the bite of that nowadays?

yes it does have an actual ending now (is it satisfying will be up to opinion).

Also the actions of it eventually leads into the sequel.

IIRC it was packaged in a new "series" called Shaman King Kang Zeng Bang which has the story from the beginning and up to the "ending", then it continues from there to the new ending.

Soma had a bump in the rankings though.... that and Toriko were at the bottom for a little bit

soma went from 10th in rankings to 9th
it's still down from weeks before where it would be in the top

if anything toriko managed to recover itself, going from dead last, to bottom three to top 5

soma went from 10th in rankings to 9th
it's still down from weeks before where it would be in the top

if anything toriko managed to recover itself, going from dead last, to bottom three to top 5

Soma was 10th last week? (I thought it was lower)
I guess people don't like Punk Glasses boy... the Toriko chapter for this ranking was the 10 shells being unmasked and stuff

all around for the next few weeks of rankings, every series chapters (the past 8) were mostly on a low burn with either it being a over dragged arc (Nisekoi with Mirika), set ups and flash backs (OP and Toriko), and just luke warm safe chapters (like Soma)
then there are outliers like Gintama.... Plus the fact that WSJ rankings is weird in its own way
Meme in the making. This and creepy woody is the perfect combination

hopefully ... I am laughing at the fact that they decided to go the extra mile

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh God that Soma 149 spoiler page
Azami Creep Face

Netgame no Yome wa Onnanoko ja nai to Omotta? ch.13 - 14
Amazing that all it took for these last two chapters to be more interesting was to NOT spend time in the MMO and have the main group delve into other genres. That is until fucking Nanako brought the issue they swept aside back to the forefront and is trying to get in the way.

I don't think there's anything to worry about with Ako after that FPS game though. Games don't make people into murderers. Only those who interfere with their love.

Happy Sugar Life ch.1 - 2
"Sweet" and "Bitter" are incredibly apt descriptions for this manga and how rapidly it switches between sickeningly sweet and extremely bitter and dark.

Still, a yandere is a yandere, and she's more than justified in her actions considering the fuckers that try to ruin her life. Looking forward to more of this.

Foolworm

Air Gear 358

First it's Shaman King, now it's this? Wow.

Why does Agito still have that eyepatch?

At first I thought the masked lady was
Rika because vines with clover spikes, but then I remembered she was on maternity leave.

Then I thought it was
Benkai because of the stick but both her legs looked organic... Yum

Then I read Ringo's comment and double-checked and sure enough,
her blades only had one wheel each. It was Simca, the queen has returned.

Welcome back, baby.

OPM latest

Metal Bat's sister is incredible. How did she get between Bat and Garou so fast?

Just found Air Gear is making (a somewhat) comback!? And just read a new (spinoff ) Gantz

Nothing is impossible!!!!

now only if highschool of the dead comes back...Yes I'm a perv

Sealed

Banned
I think this Soma arc is fine. I mean it was obvious from the start he would beat Eizan, but the premise for the arc itself quality wise is similar to everything we've seen so far. Plus, it's the first time we're actually getting character development for Erina.

I think it will end up being a good arc. At least on par with the others.

Speaking of Togashi
WTF

honestly

this is kind of incredible

Yeah so this was the first year Togashi has never put out a Hunter x Hunter chapter.

Dream is over brehs

it will come back someday

believe

Just found Air Gear is making (a somewhat) comback!? And just read a new (spinoff ) Gantz

Nothing is impossible!!!!

now only if highschool of the dead comes back...Yes I'm a perv

ok what, I thought Air Gear was over...i mean i've never read it, i've seen the anime, which obviously doesn't end it, but I just assumed the manga was over.

has it been on hiatus this whole time?

Also, I'm looking for romance manga recommendations ManGAF, plz share.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zero stakes since Soma will win with nothing to shake it up, and the ways he is winning aren't interesting enough to make up for that. Main villain's ideology makes no sense. Erina does nothing but cower despite the fact the arc would be good development for her. The fact someone could do a hostile takeover so easy doesn't make any sense either. Isn't this an ultra prestigious school that rakes in money?
Soma just lost the tournament and then also the festival it's fine if he wins

Foolworm

Ok what, I thought Air Gear was over... I mean I've never read it, I've seen the anime, which obviously doesn't end it, but I just assumed the manga was over.

Has it been on hiatus this whole time?

No, the manga proper had ended with Ikki and friends winning the Grand Scale Tournament. This is sort of like the Boruto mini-arc that takes place after the ending in Naruto.

I see that the graphics design is as sick as ever. That Ramble Clover insignia is just begging to be put on a badge and sold like the rest of them.

Sealed

Banned
No, the manga proper had ended with Ikki and friends winning the Grand Scale Tournament. This is sort of like the Boruto mini-arc that takes place after the ending in Naruto.

I see that the graphics design is as sick as ever. That Ramble Clover insignia is just begging to be put on a badge and sold like the rest of them.

ah, i see

Shokugeki no soma

Holy shit. Just went from chapter 60 to 148 in one day. This manga is so damn good, well made. It's crazy how good it is. He way the author has made me hate the main villain grrrr, and douche 8th seat. So glad he got jobbed. Can't wait for more.

Also..... Erina X Soma is happening, :p

Revo

Zetsuen no Tempest 40

looks like we're right at the end, probably finishing this volume
think i'll end up enjoying the anime more than the manga, although both are still good

Arabesque

Soma just lost the tournament and then also the festival it's fine if he wins

I like that we went from the start of the year with Soma getting acknowledged by his peers and losing to Hayama at the end of the tournament to him winning against Eizan at the end of 2015.

Kind of bookends where Soma went through to get where he is now.

Haikyuu 188
CXO8Rj8WMAEVVGE.png

It's finally over. Tsukishima and Hinata held down by Ushiwaka was painful. Im sad that he still couldnt block Ushiwaka though he kept running from them. Oh well.

I hope we get to see another match because Ill want to see the team with a even stronger Goshiki Tsutomu, he really wanted to hit it even.

Great game.

I hope to see Ushiwaka and Tendou tesrs next chapter.

Revo

Haikyuu 188

it's finally over
good that it wasn't dragged out more, because it's felt like forever, which i guess i should expect from 5 games

glad that hinata got the last shot, the spreads this chapter were great as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom