• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rymuth

JANUARY:

Game #1: Just Cause 3 - I was playing this throughout December and was almost at the end by the 31st. Unfortunately, I had an emergency so I couldn't complete this before the clock struck midnight. In any case, it's the 1st of January and I've finished the campaign. I'll probably go back later to lark around and free more towns but for now, I'm satisfied with just the campaign.

Game #2: Hyrule Warriors - For all the trash talking how Warriors game are the same, I honestly am baffled by it all. DQH felt different and Hyrule was no exception. Some really good boss encounters here.

Game #3: New Super Mario Bros. Wii U - I've enjoyed it far more than I did for NSMB Wii (don't know why). The new squirrel suit is superfluous at best but there were some cool level designs. I skipped one world.

Game #4: Astebreed - I had no idea what was going half the time...okay, that was a lie ~ I had no idea what was going on ALL THE TIME. I just know I got this game for cheap and finished it in one sitting. Short and sweet.

Game #5: Yoshi's Wooly World - Some surpsingly devious level designs and other levels were quite tedious to navigate. All'n'all, I think I had more trouble with this than NSMBWU.

Game #6: EDF 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair - Glorious, just glorious. I regret it but I couldn't beat the final stage on normal, so I set it on easy. I plan on going back and taking my character to finish all stages on Hard but for now, I'm putting this aside and moving on to another game.

Game #7:
Her Story - I think I've stumbled on the 'reveal' way too early. Was still a pleasant little game.

Game #8: Bastion - Finished in two sittings, much better paced than Transistor and a lot less depressing. SuperGiant, looking forward to your next game. I chose the Evacuation ending.

Game #9: Hatoful Boyfriend - All endings, all trophies. 10/10 game.

FEBRUARY

Game #10: Yakuza 5 - Amazing, oh lord Nagoshi! I love you. Took me about 60 hours to complete the main plot with almost all the sidequests done and I haven't even touched on the minigames or the many hostess clubs.

Game #11: Devil's Third - Nowhere near as terrible as reviews would make it out to be but still pretty bad. It's playable and has some fun moments but the game is shoddy. Really not sure why Itagaki didn't implement some upgrade system or why the bosses were such hot shit.

Game #12: Steins;Gate - Great little visual novel, started kinda slow but picked up at the end. I had to turn off the MC's voice because I found his VA insufferable. I got all endings except for Mayurii's ending.

Game #13: Far Cry Primal - Killed both racial leaders. Apparently I'm supposed to do some collect-a-thon to see the secret ending. Screw that.

MARCH

Game #14:
BroForce - All stages finished. Great game from start to finish. Shame about the input lag.

Game #15: Dragon Age Inquisition + Trespasser DLC - Replayed the game from start right until Trespasser. Good epilogue but even though I skipped most of the content, I enjoyed the base game a lot less.

APRIL

Game #16: Inazuma Eleven - Great game, shame I missed out on it when it came out.

Game #17: Uncharted - Drake's Fortune Remastered - Better and a bit longer than I remembered. Drake's unresponsive as hell but I had my fun with it. Finished in two sittings. Planning on replaying the other two in preparation for Uncharted 4.

Game #18: Tembo The Badass Elephant - Wonderful little platformer that performs great (which is a feat, considering it's made with Unity). Difficulty's a little uneven.

Game #19: Starfox Zero - Good, fun action-packed title. It's uneven at times, tho' - for example, Corneria and Sector B were highs that were never repeated again. I had my issues with the story but it's a fun 're-imagining' of Starfox 64.

MAY

Game #20: Ratchet & Clank - Great, absolutely great. Finished the campaign and I intend to Platinum this down the line, but for now - fantastic game, Insomniac!

Game #21: Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves Remastered - Part of my re-play towards Uncharted 4. Better than I remembered it. Beat it on Hard.

Game #22: Alienation - Beat all story missions plus the mothership. Amazing. Housemarque truly can do no wrong.

Game #23: Uncharted 3 - Drake's Deception Remastered - Final part of my replay in order to prepare for Uncharted 4. It's all over the place but still, amazing set-pieces. Combat got very obnoxious near the end.

Game #24: DOOM - Great campaign. Definitely going to replay this down the line.

Game #25: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Mutants in Manhattan - Borrowed it from a friend. Wow, the impressions were true. What a freakin' turd...

Game #26: Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End - Wow....just.......wow.

JUNE

Game #27: Yokai Watch - Great boss battles. Really impressed with the game as a whole but I loved how it made me feel like an active participant during boss fights.

Game #28: Dark Souls III - Great. Fantastic. Will probably do a clean-up to get all the trophies but for now, campaign beaten in 22 hours. Outstanding work, Miyazaki.

Game #29:
Fallout 4 + Automatron + Far Harbor - Didn't know if I should separate them but I did a playthrough of the base game plus these two DLCs. Enjoyed it a lot more this time now that I didn't pay attention to the main story. I just played it like a survival game instead of an RPG game. Didn't enjoy Automatron that much but Far Harbor? Holleeee shieet, that was a good, effin' narrative. I'll miss Far Harbor.

Game #30:
Mighty No. 9 - Not the game I was expecting and certainly not worth how much I backed it for but...I had some measure of fun with it.

Game #31: Devil May Cry 4 - Special Edition - Played this since it's been in my backlog for a year. Fell in love with it in spite of hating it when it came out on the 360. I was surprised how many times I was ending the stage with an A-ranking when I remembered I was a D-to-C rank player.

JULY

Game #32: South Park - The Stick of Truth - Game took me by surprise. Really incredible how everything escalated by the end. Finished in two sittings.

Game #33: Kirby - Planet Robobot - This was a better Star Fox than Star Fox Zero. Platinum should be ashamed of themselves.

Game #34: Star Ocean 5 - Integrity and Faithlessness - Very, very short JRPG but with absolutely gorgeous graphics. It's a shame that it was done on a shoestring budget, tho, and it shows.

AUGUST

Game #35:
Final Fantasy XIV - A Realm Reborn - Finished all quests leading up to the expansions. Great game, great title. Took me a little over a month and a half to get through to this point. Onward and Heavensward!

Game #36: Ape Escape 2 - What a fun little platformer. Shame about some of the controls and camera work and even greater shame that this type of game no longer exists.

Game #37: Tales from the Borderlands - Telltale's best game. That was a terrific climax.

Game #38: The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds - Superb music and dungeon bosses. Superb everything. Should not have put this off for so long. What a wonderful entry.

Game #39: Deus Ex - Mankind Divided - Had fun but shame about the one hub and the lackluster story.

SEPTEMBER

Game #40: Dragon Ball Xenoverse - Battle system is a step back from the great Tenkaichi games but still, I loved the scenarios. Grinding got a bit much later on.

Game #41: God Eater Resurrection - Well worth the wait but uneven in difficulty. Encounters really needed to be thought out in advance. Will try some other games before jumping into God Eater 2.

OCTOBER

Game #42: Final Fantasy XIV - Heavensward - so good. So damn good. I'm feeling so emotional right now.

Game #43:
Lost Planet 3 - Got this game from a kind soul during the Capcom humble bundle. An unfortunate victim of Capcom's penchant for outsourcing their IP to western developers. I enjoyed the firs Lost Planet far from this gritty prequel.

Game #44: Metroid Zero Mission - Finished under 3 hours. The Zero Suit stuff was legit amazeballs.

Game #45: Phantom Breaker - Went through the campaign with a friend. Fun little beat 'em up that I got for $2 on Steam.

Game #46:
Battlefield 1 - Okay campaign, I guess....?

Game #47: AM2R - Finished in under 5 hours but over a couple of days. It felt a lot longer, tbh (I died a few times) - a great and glorious tribute to Metroid. 9/10

NOVEMBER

Game #48: Life is Strange - Finished and platinumed. Ending was shyte.

Game #49:
Xenoblade Chronicles X - Goddamn gargantuan behemoth of a game. I sped through it in order to get to FFXV but goddamn...great game, Monolith.

DECEMBER

Game #50: Titanfall 2 - Wow, impressive campaign. I loved the platforming more than the actual shooting gallery stuff (though, that's no slouch either)

Game #51: The Last Guardian - Beautiful! Well worth the wait!

Game #52: Dust: An Elysian Tale - What a fun little metroidvania.

52 games complete! Let's see how many I can manage before the year ends.

Game #53: Dishonored 2 - One playthrough, low chaos Corvo....meh

RyuKanSan

Claimed!!!! 1st year, lets go I'm excited.

January

Game 1: Final Fantasy VI (PC)
Played this way back when it first came out on SNES as Final Fantasy III. Although I like the original sprites better, after about an hour I wasn't really bothered. The fact that the game is really freaking good outshined that aspect. Plus auto battle is fantastic.

---------HERE WE GO---------

Completed 6/52

1. inFAMOUS Second Son -Completed- -Trophy %: 100% Platinum Trophy Achieved- -Rating: 4/5-

4SVUUgH.jpg

2. Until Dawn -Completed- -Trophy %: 100% Platinum Trophy Achieved- -Rating: 3.5/5-

3. inFAMOUS First Light -Completed- -Trophy %: 100% Platinum Trophy Achieved- -Rating: 3.5/5-

4. Her Story -Completed- -Rating: 3/5-

5. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter -Completed- -Trophy %: 100%- -Rating: 4/5-

6. Never Alone -Completed- -Trophy %: 100%- -Rating: 3.5/5-

Currently playing: Everybody's gone to the Rapture

Game 1: Dyscourse | PC/Steam, 1.3.16

Game 2: Her Story | PC/Steam, 1.22.16

Game 3: Tom Clancy's The Division | PC/Uplay, 4.10.16

Game 4: Paint it Back | PC/Steam, 5.10.16

Game 5: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell | PC/Steam, 5.15.16

Game 6: Lost Sounds: Adventures of Poco Eco | Android, 5.19.16

Game 7: The End of the World | Android, 5.24.16

Game 8: Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek | PC/Steam, 6.3.16

Game 9: Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood | PC/Steam, 6.5.16

Game 10: The Room | Android, 7.9.16

Game 11: Refunct | PC/Steam, 7.10.16

Game 12: Lara Croft GO | Android, 8.11.16

Game 13: Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock PC/Steam, 9.4.16

Game 14: LEGO Marvel's Avengers PC/Steam, 9.23.16

Game 15: Squarecells PC/Steam, 10.9.16

Game 16: LEGO The Hobbit PC/Steam, 10.10.16

Game 17: Hexcells Plus PC/Steam, 11.5.16

Game 18: Hexcells Infinite PC/Steam, 11.5.16

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Claimed. I'm currently playing a few different games so I might have a rush of stuff finished at the beginning of the year then continue on with my usual RPG-filled goodness.

Game 1 - Assassin's Creed Rogue - PC Steam - Completed Jan 9th, 2016
I really liked a lot of things about Rogue. I feel like it did a good job of tying the stories of Assassin's Creed III and Assassin's Creed Unity together pretty well. I didn't like it as much as Syndicate, but I think it's a must for any true fan of the Creed series.

Game 2 - Gems of War - Playstation 4 - Completed Jan 10th, 2016
I put around 100 hours into Gems of War and loved every minute of it. It's essentially Puzzle Quest 3, and also one of the best F2P games I've played in a while. I stopped when my character reached level 50, because I felt that the game was started to get too repetitive and/or rely too much on purchases (which I didn't make any). A great game that a certainly recommend to fans of the match-3/RPG hybrid genre.

Game 3 - Blues and Bullets: Episode 1 - PC Steam - Completed Jan 16th, 2016
I started playing this game during my Extra Life stream last year and I thought it was... a little strange. It's basically a Telltale-like adventure game where you play as down on his luck detective Elliot Ness in a crime noir involving Al Capone, a monster-like cult, and giant words falling from the sky. This is one of those games that's hard to describe. I doubt I'll play any of the other episodes (I'm not sure if they're even being released) so I'm calling this one good.

Game 4 - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - PC Steam - Completed Jan 24th, 2016
I got absolutely swept up in this game, putting in almost 30 hours. My character was level 49 when I finished the game, but I feel like there is so much more to do that I'll probably start a New Game+ and play it again. The combat was great and felt really fluid, and I especially liked the "pawn" system of drawing in party members from my friends and strangers. So far this is my favorite game of 2016, but time will tell if that holds, because there is a great lineup coming this year.

Game 5 - Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC Steam - Completed Feb 7th, 2016
This game was a lot of fun but was "more of the same" when it comes to the new Tomb Raider franchise. The story was pretty lackluster overall and there were far too many shoot-bang sections. The environments seemed good at first, but then Lara spent 99% of her time in the ice world. The tombs themselves had nice puzzle sections that were reminiscent of the older Tomb Raider games, so that was a plus. Obviously they set this game up for another sequel so I'll be interested to see how that plays out.

Game 6 - Tales from the Borderlands - Playstation 4 - Completed Feb 7th, 2016
This was my second time playing Tales from the Borderlands, this time on the Playstation 4 (last time was on PC). I really love this game and the story was top notch. This time, my wife got really interested in watching me play and got really into the story and really wrapped up in it. I did experience a pretty bad glitch in Episode 5 where I had to delete the game and re-download it, but other than that everything was great. The soundtrack for this game is still something I listen to on a regular basis.

Game 7 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered - Playstation 4 - Completed Feb 21st, 2016
This game was pretty good, but after playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, the controls seemed really dated. The writing was okay but was honestly not as good as I was expecting given the game's universal praise. I'm not even sure if I liked it more than Uncharted 1, this game had a lot more shootbangs than the first it seemed like. The puzzles were all pretty simple, but that was also expected. I'd say, honestly, this game is pretty average.

Game 8 - Street Fighter V - Playstation 4 - Completed Feb 22nd, 2016
I'm going to call this game "finished" since I'm totally done with it. I played through the (super short) story mode and haven't been able to play any online battles because it just says "waiting...." and spins. I'm glad that I only rented this one. Fighting games aren't exactly my favorite genre, but I think I'd rather play Mortal Kombat X.

Game 9 - Just Cause 3 - Playstation 4 - Completed Mar 17th, 2016
I blame this game for me being behind on this challenge now, it's basically all I've played for the past almost month. I liked it quite a bit and the open world was absolutely huge. The story was pretty "meh" but all the explosions really made it. Fun, long, but ultimately forgettable.

Game 10 - Earthbound - Super Nintendo - Completed Mar 22nd, 2016
This is easily one of my favorite games of all time, and it's always a pleasure to play. The music is incredible and the memories of playing this game always flood back to me when playing it over. This is probably the 30th time or so that I've finished it. This time, however, I was playing with achievements courtesy of Retro Achievements, and those were a lot of fun. Some of the story-related achievements didn't get activated, but it's no big deal because I'm sure I'll play the game again some time down the line. Lovely game, and an overall wonderful experience.

Game 11 - Super Metroid - Super Nintendo - Completed Mar 22nd, 2016
Hot on the trails of my favorite Super Nintendo game is another of my favorite Super Nintendo games. I went for the "good" ending, under 3 hours which I've only ever done once before. I also earned achievements thanks to Retro Achievements, and I'm happy to report that this game worked with that flawlessly. I finished in 2 hours 23 minutes, which I think is a personal best for me. I unlocked 42% of everything (lol) but I'm happy with the run. I unlocked 45/52 achievements, but just like Earthbound I think I'll eventually pick most of those up when I replay it again. Still a really solid game after 22 years.

Game 12 - BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets - Super Nintendo - Completed Mar 23rd, 2016
Okay, so I've been on an SNES spree lately... This is an interesting game that I always wanted to try but never got around to. The last few years have created patches enough for this game to be playable as it once was on the BS Satelliview, so I thought I'd give it a try. The first two chapters even had Retro Achievements, which I got 100% on. The time mechanics in this were interesting and definitely a precursor to Majora's Mask. I liked the "live" commentary that was included in the game at certain points, which represented an actual broadcast that was made when the game first released. Certainly not as difficult as A Link to the Past, but definitely a lot of fun to experience.

Game 13 - Crystalis - NES - Completed Mar 27th, 2016
Since I'm on a retro kick, I figured I might as well play through one of my favorite NES titles, Crystalis. This game is an action RPG similar to Secret of Mana or The Legend of Zelda, and was really sophisticated for the NES. I've probably beat this game over 30 times now, but like some of the others I've played recently, it never seems to get old. I played through for the first time with Retro Achievements, and earned every achievement.

Game 14 - Resident Evil 6 - Playstation 4 - Completed Apr 16th, 2016
This is the first time I've played through Resident Evil 6, despite owning it on Steam for a number of years. The game was pretty great and had a lot of really great action sequences. I finished all four story mode campaigns, and I liked how they were made to intersect with one another. I liked that you could just play through one story and get most of the plot but then the other three stories felt like supposition, then by the time the fourth campaign rolled around (Ada Wong) I was happy to see that they threw in a lot of new story around her character and explained most of what was going on. Overall, a very solid game and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Game 15 - Amplitude - Playstation 4 - Completed Apr 16, 2016
I'm not really sure what to make of this game. It was like House Music Simulator 2016. I guess(?) it was kinda cool.

Game 16 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - Playstation 4 - Completed May 10th, 2016
I picked a good day to finally finish Uncharted 3 it seems, as my copy of Uncharted 4 should be here in a few hours. I liked the game quite a bit better than 2 and I especially liked that the end sequence wasn't as long and drawn out as Among Thieve's was. I liked the weapon variety, but I didn't care for a lot of the cover shooting parts that were so obviously stacked against the player. Overall though, a really solid game and I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Game 17 - Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - Nintendo 3DS - Completed May 18th, 2016
I recently reset all my save data on my 3DS so inevitably I popped in Curtain Call and before I knew it 12 hours had passed and I had 20,000 rhythm points and I was watching the credits scroll past. However, I've still got a ton of stuff to do in the game so I probably won't be giving it up as it's a great "pick up and play for a few minutes" kind of game which is honestly about all I have time for these days.

Game 18 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Playstation 4 - Completed May 21st, 2016
This game was absolutely great from start to finish. They honestly took all of my complaints from the first three games and improved in those areas in almost every way. The shooting segments were a lot more spread out and the mechanics of them worked much better in this game than the previous ones. The story was great and like Uncharted 3 I really enjoyed the flashbacks to young Nathan. The epilogue chapter was a great way to end the game, possibly the series(?). Overall I'd say I enjoyed it very much.

Game 19 - TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Playstation 4 - Completed May 28th, 2016
I actually really enjoyed this game, owing to the fact that I Redbox'd it and beat it in about 6 hours. The action was spot on and it the Turtle's designs were actually pretty decent and based on the comic books. Much, much better than Out of the Shadows. I would have been pretty disappointed in the game if I had purchased it for full price though I think. There doesn't seem like there would be a lot of replay value here besides maybe replaying a few of the levels or picking up some of the collectibles I missed - none of which really interests me. Overall, I enjoyed it but I think it could have been a whole lot better for the asking price.

Game 20 - LEGO Jurassic World - PC Steam - Completed Jun 1st, 2016
I had a lot of fun with this game, but it didn't really offer anything particularly new or exciting over the other LEGO games. I like the movies pretty well, and I thought the LEGO dinosaurs were cool. Other than that, it was a fun waste of about 10 hours.

Game 21 - Kirby Planet Robobot - Nintendo 3DS - Completed Jun 11th, 2016
I picked this game up on a whim and I'm glad I did. I've always been a fan of Kirby games but rarely enough to bother finishing them. This game had some solid platforming and puzzle solving elements. The bosses had some variety and were a lot of fun. I loved the Kirby robot, and the fact that it could also absorb the power of Kirby's enemies. Overall this is one of the most fun 3DS games I've played in a while.

Game 22 - Gone Home: Console Edition - Playstation 4 - Completed Jun 11th, 2016
I knew quite a bit about this game going in, having seen a lot of screenshots of things and all the talk about the story / etc. The game had a cool atmosphere, but ultimately didn't go anywhere and was quite a letdown. I understand why a lot of people like the game, but I felt like I could have spent my time doing something more interesting.

Game 23 - The Walking Dead: Michonne - Playstation 4 - Completed Jun 13th, 2016
I absolutely love Telltale's Walking Dead formula, and even though this game wasn't much of a step up (technically speaking) from the others, I had a great time with it. There were only three episodes, and they were only about half the length of the regular season episodes, but I actually enjoyed the format quite a bit and it let me break the story up into three bite-size chunks over three days. I heard that some of the characters might show up in Season 3, and I think that'd be great. Even though I didn't get to spend a lot of time with them, the characters felt really full and alive. I can't wait to see what Season 3 has in store for us.

Game 24 - Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - Completed Jun 19th, 2016
This was a reboot of the original (PS2) Ratchet and Clank, which, coincidentally is the only other game in the series that I've played. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I think it worked well as a 3D platformer / action game. I heard it didn't do too well financially, and the movie kinda flopped, so hopefully we'll still get to see more of R&C in the future.

Game 25 - 12 Labours of Hercules - PC Steam - Completed Jun 28th, 2016
Despite the game being a bit janky and short on story, I really enjoyed 12 Labours (so much so that I bought it's 4 sequels during the Steam sale for $0.50 each). The meat and potatoes of the game is basically a task / time management game that's reminiscent of the old Popcap Games. It's also a fun "pick up and play a level or two" game with each level taking about 4-5 minutes each. I'm looking forward to diving into 12 Labours 2.

Game 26 - Star Fox Zero - Wii U - Completed Jul 2nd, 2016
This game was a downright disappointment. I think I heard a review (perhaps "Honest Trailers") say it's got the grace of a dead pigeon falling down an elevator shaft, and I would tend to agree. While the story and visuals were on point, the game really fell short due to the horrible horrible control scheme. Seriously, it was as horrible as everyone said, maybe even worse.

Game 27 - 12 Labours of Hercules II: The Cretan Bull - PC Steam - Completed Jul 2nd, 2016
I think these games have the perfect amount of jank combined with a solid presentation, framerate, and fun. The closest approximation I can think of still is that they remind me of the old Popcap games like Feeding Frenzy or Typing Shark - not well polished exactly but tons of fun to play. This one took me almost 8 hours to complete, which I still consider to be a great value for the $0.50 I paid for the game. That being said, I probably won't be diving headfirst into the third game quite yet as the genre is starting to wear on me, but I'm looking forward to probably picking it up in a couple of months.

Game 28 - Submerged - Playstation 4 - Completed Jul 3rd, 2016
I bought this game during the PSN sale, and I'm glad I did. It had an incredible atmosphere and good gameplay mechanics. I loved that it didn't have combat or any sort of "fail" condition, meaning the game was a lot more relaxing than I originally thought it would be. I unlocked all of the trophies except the "get every collectible" trophy because that seemed like it'd almost need a second playthrough, though I still found 45/60 of them. Overall I had a great time with this game, I almost wish it were longer.

Game 29 - Assassin's Creed Identity - Android Nvidia Shield- Completed Jul 3rd, 2016
This game wasn't so bad for a $3 mobile game, and it played surprisingly well on my Nvidia Shield TV with the Shield controller. Obviously the game is a blatant cash grab that's typical of both Ubisoft and mobile games, so I'm not sure what I was expecting. The game constantly tries to get you to buy coins from the shop which are, unsurprisingly, expensive. If I wanted to expand my inventory and pad out my skills and feel like I wasn't always intentionally gimped, it would have cost me about $60. I doubt I'll pay the $2 for it's expansion campaign.

Game 30 - Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius - Android - Completed Jul 4th, 2016
I've been playing this game since the soft launch, and I love it. I've got my profile boosted to rank 30 and have a solid team of almost max-level 5* characters. Like Final Fantasy Record Keeper, I'll go ahead and list this one as "complete" since I know I'll never actually be done with it and will probably continue to play it every day.

Game 31 - Sword of Xolan - Android Nvidia Shield - Completed Jul 4th, 2016
When I play a free game from the Play Store, I expect to see micro-transactions or ads, and Sword of Xolan had neither which surprised me. The game controlled great and had cute pixel graphics. The voice acting/story was a bit suspect but it almost became a household meme by the time I finished ("Xolan in the house!"). The game was pretty similar to the old Ghosts and Goblins, and had about the same level of difficulty. I unlocked all the Google Play achievements which were fun. I've got to figure out a way to send the developers a couple of bucks for this game.

Game 32 - LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Playstation 4 - Completed Jul 16th, 2016
I really love lego games, but I sometimes had a hard time liking Lego Force Awakens. The game was marred with technical issues - more than a dozen times I had to completely restart my PS4 to advance. And at least a dozen times, the game crashed back to the PS4 OS. Technical issues aside, there was just far too much optional content (usually in a LEGO game, this isn't a bad thing) but the optional stuff here was entirely too repetitive. Additionally, it was difficult to determine what was completed and what wasn't because there was no way I could find to zoom the map, and the "solid green" / "dark green" indicators were no use and were constantly glitching. What's weird is that this wasn't even rushed to market to meet the demand of the movie, so I don't know exactly what happened here. Got 100%, probably won't play the DLC.

Game 33 - Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - Playstation 4 - Completed Jul 17th, 2016
This game was shorter than I originally thought it would be, but I mostly skipped all of the extra collectibles and went straight into the story missions when they were available. The game was highly entertaining, although some of the tougher sections were a bit on the frustrating side for those of us not completely accustomed to the action sequences. The first person parkour (really the main gameplay here) was pretty good, and the graphics on this game were incredibly detailed. Overall I enjoyed the game quite a bit, must more than the first one.

Game 34 - I am Setsuna - PC Steam - Completed Aug 5th, 2016
This game was a very emotional one, and I liked that. The setting was relaxing and I absolutely loved the piano music. Overall, I'd say this game falls into the category of "instant classic". It's a shame it didn't do so well financially, I would love to see more games like this come out. I beat the game in 17 hours, so it was pretty short for a JRPG, but I think it was just about the right length and didn't have too much unnecessary content. There are still a few side-missions and things I didn't get to, and I'll probably level up my characters more so I'm sure I'll be coming back to this soon.

Game 35 - Quantum Break - Xbox One - Completed Aug 13th, 2016
I finally broke down and bought an Xbox One S, and the bundle I purchased came with Quantum Break and a few other games. I've heard some decent stuff about this game so I thought I'd give it a go. The game reminded me a lot of Enter the Matrix, in so much that you alternate between playing the game and watching the long cutscene "movies" in between. It's an interesting concept that isn't visited very often, but it works out pretty well - especially now that the graphics tech has gone a long way towards catching up since the PS2 era. The story was decent, but the game mechanics were pretty horrible as it's essentially just a cover shooter (and not a very good one) wrapped in a pretty package. I didn't bother finding all the collectibles and still ended up with 82% of them. Overall I'd say this game is pretty average, but worth playing.

Game 36 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Xbox One - Completed Aug 14th, 2016
This is a game I feel somehow strangely compelled to finish once every few years. I purchased this on sale digitally for the Xbox 360, and it turns out it's backwards compatible with the Xbox One. So once I got my One, I knew this is something I'd have to play right away. I breezed through the game though, this is probably the 30th(?) or so time I've played it, so I'm starting to get intimately familiar with where everything is at and what needs done in what order. The game still plays great, and feels like it could have been released yesterday and still been relevant. Highly recommended game, can't wait to play it again.

Game 37 - Killer Instinct: Season 1 - Xbox One - Completed Aug 19th, 2016
This was honestly a pretty mediocre fighting game. I did like the fact that it was free to play (even though I bought the "Season 1 and 2 pack" when it was on sale for $15) and that you can earn in-game credits to buy new fighters and such which I thought was a pretty great idea. The story mode (which is what I completed for all the characters I have) was not very interesting. The game does have like 4000 something gamerscore though, so I might jump in every now and again to catch a match and try to earn some new stuff.

Game 38 - 12 Labours of Hercules III: Girl Power - PC Steam - Completed Aug 20th, 2016
This was by far my favorite of the "Hercules" games so far, every level felt like a fresh new experience and was fun to play - and rarely ever frustrating (which I thought the second one was). These games continue to amaze me at their value for $0.59 each during the Steam summer sale. Overall I'm really pleased with the game and will probably start playing #4 before too long. This is the first one I didn't bother getting all the achievements for, as the developer scores were set (IMHO) a little too high to be reasonable to beat 10 of them. Still a great game though, and very much worth playing.

Part 2

Past challenges:

Clemurin

Neo Member
My third year, altough I didn't participate in previous challenge threads. In 2015 I completed 52 games. 2014 was a low year, only 50 games. 2013 was best so far: 53 games.

Completed: 5/52

1. Undertale (12 hours)
Funniest game since Jazzpunk and saddest since, uh, since I once cried after Crisis Core's ending. Best use of JRPG tropes, great enemy design, characters you actually care about, surprisingly hard bullet hell sections (a few are almost annoying in difficulty). Got the true pacifist ending.

2. Fallout 4 (55 hours)
Most overrated game of 2015. Settlements were fun, as was some of the exploring. Otherwise dull, pointless, repeating, ugly, buggy, janky mess, B grade characters, horrible UI, pretty bad writing, and far too many enemies everywhere.

3. Lara Croft GO
Decent iOS puzzler. More varied than Hitman GO. Nice difficulty curve.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order (19 hours)
Meaty old school shooter without the old school annoyances. Great characters, also most of the writing and environmental storytelling was good (the nazi Beatles!). Perfect length for this kind of game. Maybe the best singleplayer FPS of this generation.

5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut (21 hours)
After disappointing Shadowrun Returns I left this to rot in my library. A mistake: this one is really good. Tactical anarchist cyberpunk Berlin RPG, what's not to like.

6. Dark Souls (62 hours)

7. Cibele (2 hours)

Now playing: Steins;Gate, Dark Souls 2.

Claimed. I can't wait to start this challenge.

Completed 0/52

1. Dragon Fin Soup (PS4) I'm enjoying it but missions repeat a lot for a rogue like game. Put on hold until they fix the game breaking glitch. :-/

backdrifter

Neo Member
Claimed. Got a lovely list of things to bulk this out with to get through a slice of backlog, plus space for new games too.

Completed: 9/52

1: Monument Valley (plus DLC) - 3hrs
Just my kind of mobile, and puzzle game. Glorious aesthetics, tricky yet never the feeling of being stuck for bloody ages and needing to fire up a walkthrough, and perfectly simply and intuitive to control. Loved it!

2. Knights of Pen & Paper 2 - 10hrs
Another perfect mobile commute game. Easy to dip in and out of, quick and simple to play, and even able to fiddle around with it with one hand on a packed tube. Great fun.

3. Game Corp DX - 4hrs
Took a half hour, but once it had me it kept me at it until I'd rinsed every achievement.

4. Mad Max - 19hrs
Just had enough to keep me hooked long enough to finish the story. Many more hours I think I'd have tired of it quicker. And I doubt I'll be leaping back in to mopping up what's left of the various tasks hanging around anytime soon. Still, well worth the few quid I dropped for it.

5. Firewatch - 3hrs
I've never been one for these sorts of games. I've tried many, but never spent more than 20 minutes before I've left them. The promise of the high quality of writing got me interested, and I'm very glad I gave it a go. The perfect length - although I'd have loved to have been able to spend a little more time doing minor tasks out in the wilderness - and the writing and voice acting are absolutely superb.

6. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 21hrs
Had this hanging around for bloody ages, and now I've finished it, I can't understand why I didn't go for it earlier! EXACTLY my sort of game, and loads of fun. Wish I'd realised just how important it was to team up characters a bit earlier though to save a fair few early deaths.

7. Day Of The Tentacle: Remastered - 6hrs
Still as amazing as it ever was!

8. Heavy Rain - 7hrs
First time I've played this since starting and finishing in one sitting on its PS3 launch. Enjoyed it, but disappointed the story didn't change much despite my much different choices this time around. Kind of wish I'd left the original experience as my only one.

9. The Detail: Episode 2 - 4hrs
Bit of a drop in quality after the pretty great first episode. A shame really, as the first did seem that it was going to be the start of a much more adult and gritty story.

In Progress
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
Just Cause 3 - PS4
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - PS4
XCOM 2 - PC
Her Story - PC
Until Dawn - PS4
Pokemon Y - 3DS
Bravely Default - 3DS

Potentials
Life Is Strange - PC
Valkyria Chronicles - PC
Halo 5 - Xbox One
Nuclear Throne - PC
Walking Dead S2 - PS4
Legend of Grimrock 2 - PC

jyoung188

I need to finish more games this year and keep better track of what I'm playing. I'm in!

----2016----

17/52 Completed

In progress:
•Undertale - PC
•Yoshi's Wooly World - Wii U
•Fallout 4 - PC
•Need for Speed - Xbox One

Completed:
1. Ori and the Blind Forest - Xbox One (Playtime: 8:14, 1/3/2016)
2. Game of Thrones Episode 1 - PS4 (1/3/2016)
3. Until Dawn - PS4 (1/3/2016)
4. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - PS4 (1/7/2016)
5. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt - PC (Playtime: 103 hours, 1/9/2016)
6. Laura Croft Go - Android (1/9/2015)
7. Game of Thrones Episode 2 - PS4 (1/9/2016)
8. Monument Valley - Android (1/16/2016)
9. The Room - Android (1/23/2016)
10. Game of Thrones Episode 3 - PS4 (1/23/2016)
11. Guitar Hero Live - PS4 (1/24/2016)
12. The Room 2 - Android (2/2/2016)
13. The Witness - PS4 (2/16/2016)
14. Game of Thrones Episode 4 - PS4 (2/19/2016)
15. Game of Thrones Episode 5 - PS4 (2/23/2016)
16. Game of Thrones Episode 6 - PS4 (2/24/2016) Couldn't delete this game from my PS4 fast enough. Fucking horrible ending. It was a chore getting through this series and the way it wrapped up was just gross and all around unpleasant. Only redeeming quality was the easy platinum.
17. Super Hot - PC (2/25/2016) The most innovative shooter I've played in years.

I want to do this but I know there's no way I will do a game a week. I can only play about 10 hours a week if I'm lucky.

That said, I'm currently making progress through the witcher 3 on ps4 and loving it.

But what takes up too much of my time is black ops 3. I need to put it away because its been frustrating me lately and I'm not having fun with it. I just want to play it, but end up just getting a little frustrated.

In progress:
The Witcher 3
Earth Defense Force 4.1

Want to complete:
Rise of the tomb raider
Far cry 4
Fallout 4
Divinity original sin
Assassins Creed syndicate
Dying light
Uncharted trilogy

Think I'll give this a go...

Game #1 - Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) | Completed: January 3rd | Time played: 32hrs 53m
Fantastic game, loved every second of it. I'm only at 81% completed, although I have finished the story. I may come back to this at various points to mop up the remaining collectibles. Easily my favorite 2015 game.

Game #2 - (will be either) Wolfenstein: The New Order or Broken Sword 5

Schryver

Got 30 last year. Highly doubt I can do more this year but let's see how it goes...

1. KOTOR (1/8) 4 hrs till got stuck in save.
2. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (1/16-

25/52 What a save!

gg
Rematch!

Favourite game of the year... hmmm... ROCKET LEAGUE!!!
About a half of these games were only about 20% complete, but I got enough of an idea about them to count them on this list.
I'll put myself in for next year to do better! (I could've done a lot better - got approx. 500 games in the backlog for 2017!!!)

Top 5 games I played this year: Rocket League, Alan Wake, Portal, LEGO Dimensions and Star Wars Battlefront.

B=Beat, C=100%'ed
5=Perfect, 4=Excellent, 3=Good, 2=OK, 1=Bad

Xbox:

5/5
Rocket League C
Super Meat Boy B

4/5
Rayman Legends B
DuckTales Remastered B
Stick it To The Man C
Life is Strange C
Just Cause 3 B
Costume Quest 2 C
Ori and the Blind Forest B
Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious / Porsche Expansion C
Valiant Hearts: The Great War B

3/5
6180 the Moon C
Unravel B

2/5
Never Alone: Foxtales C

1/5
Cubot C
Project Spark B

Unfinished (and therefore unrated):
Blood Bowl 2
Disney Infinity 3.0
Titanfall
Powerstar Golf
Star Wars Battlefront
Murdered: Soul Suspect
LEGO Dimensions
Defense Grid 2
ZOMBI
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Quantum Break
Minecraft

Steam:

5/5
Costume Quest 1 C
Alan Wake B
Portal B
Rocket League B

4/5
Bit.Trip Presents... Runner 2 B
Grow Home C

3/5
-

2/5
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled B
Tengami C

1/5
Back to Bed B

Unfinished (and therefore unrated):
Deadlight
Oceanhorn
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Beyond Gravity
FLY'N
Pinball FX2 (Various tables)
Beware Planet Earth

Finished 18/52 in 2015:

Xbox One:

Forza Horizon 2 (33%) Became Horizon Festival Champion anyway! Still a long way to go to get close to really beating the game!
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (100%) Lovely platformer with high production values.
Monopoly Plus (100%) Family game with easy achievements.
Never Alone (100%) Now have the Foxtales DLC for 2016.
Peggle 2 Xbox One DLC Jimmy Lightning and Windy the Fairy 100%, but main game still need to get 100%
Steamworld Dig, story mode complete. Might play through again for achievements. Steamworld Heist looks tempting after this.
The Swapper. 100% with a guide. I hated this game, probably my least favourite genre.
Thomas Was Alone. Sweet story, 100%.
The Wolf Among Us. 100% with the use of a guide. My first Telltale game.
Worms Battlegrounds Alien Invasion DLC complete. Still need to beat the main game.

Steam:

Braid. Like The Swapper, I hated this.The problem with having a big backlog is that I've bought highly-rated stuff I thought I'd like but didn't. Must stop buying puzzle-platformers!
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Amazing game. This is more my kind of game. Will replay in 2016 for the achievements.
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition. Finished the story mode but a great game so will replay for achievements.
Fez. My favourite game of 2015 (backlog, you see!) Only 2 achievements left but had to stop.
Hexcells. Easy and fun. 100%.
Limbo. Interesting game. Will replay for achievements.

Wii:

Dead Space: Extraction. Will replay for alt endings etc. Good game.
Kirby's Epic Yarn. My favourite genre. What a great game. Still have to finish Kirby's flat games.

Krafter

Down for year #3, will keep the streak going. Thanks to Visceralbowl for again running the show, it's great fun.
2014 total = 76 games
2015 total = 76 games

Game 1: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2) - January 2 - 99 hours
This is how one starts a challenge. Superb silent protagonist, oppressive dark atmosphere, superior music and fights. Incredible boss fights that really test your limits, force you to learn from mistakes and teach you to be adaptable and prepared. A great feeling of power as the Demi-Fiend grows in strength. Very close to becoming my new 2004 GOTY. In Atlus we trust.

Game 2: Brothers (PS3) - January 9 - 4 hours
Complete change of pace for Starbreeze, and they totally nailed it. Beautiful in both looks and atmosphere coupled with a minimalist, emotional story. Reminds one of Ico, and that's very high praise coming from me. A classic.

Game 3: Infinite Space (DS) - January 11 - 49 hours
Criminally overlooked game. Has all the makings of a good JRPG with an excellent combat system, taking place in a Sci-Fi universe where the battles are settled ship to ship, as it should be. Huge supporting cast, crew members to recruit, branching plot and an economy that works. Highly recommended.

Game 4: Rocket League (PS4) - January 23 - 25 hours
My 9th Platinum trophy, so counting this as finished, though I am still actively playing the odd Snow Day game now and then. Rocket League really snuck up on me, a fantastic game which is my current 2015 GOTY (though it won't stand.) I don't like multiplayer but love sports, so I guess the latter won out and I played every Saturday morning with my oldest daughter. Great fun.

Game 5: Ace Combat Infinity (PS3) - February 4 - 20 hours
Solid enough plane combat game that didn't give me motion sickness, so I stuck with it. Long grind to get enough $$ to unlock the entire campaign, and the only reason I did so was through fortunate crazy 'drops' at Christmas in the form of cash and a superior plane. Wish there was more variety, but hard to argue content with a free game.

Game 6: Imagine Cheerleader (DS) - February 11 - 5 hours
Unfortunately not as lewd as it sounds. Played through with my 2 oldest daughters, I did the rhythm game parts while the girls did the shopping and dress-up parts. Its a good family friendly simulation for young girls, we probably have half a dozen of the Imagine series.

Game 7: Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita) - February 22 - 19 hours
Excellent shooter-hybrid, unique setting (a western!) and characters, heck, even your crossbow's ammo has personality. The chickens and grubs were full of great lines, and the acting and voices stick out from Stranger on down. Stranger's motivations driving the plot I liked as well. My 10th Platinum Trophy.

Game 8: Minecraft (PS3) - February 28 - 50 hours
Timeless classic. Infinite replayability, perfect simplistic gameplay, anything you can imagine, you can build. Survival mode is fine, but the real meat is creative mode for me. Spent 2 years building our snow world with my girls until it's perfection. Moving on to the Vita version for portability but for this challenge's sake, considering the matter finished.

Game 9: X-men Origins: Wolverine (PS3) - March 4 - 35 hours
Real surprise here, possibly the best movie tie-in game ever. Somewhat similar to God of War without the scale, but featuring an astronomically better main character. Wolverine is a right bastard here, killing every security guard and soldier on Earth, but at least we finally have a game where regenerating health makes sense. Raven's last hurrah for the most part, they deserve better. My 11th Platinum Trophy.

Game 10: Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov's Revenge (Vita) - March 6 - 5 hours
Fun, quick little RTS that has a similar control scheme to Grim Grimoire, always a plus. Far better than the original game, very easy to rip through with only 8 half-hour-ish levels. Solid effort from Frima.

Game 11: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PS3) - March 11 - 30 hours
Not going to pull punches here, this is a better game than the original. Top Developer Firaxis nails virtually everything from the base setup to the classic turn-based combat itself. I now dream of a future where Sid and the gang alternate between Civ and XCOM sequels. My new 2012 GOTY.

Game 12: Corpse Party (PSP) - March 23 - 13 hours
Macabre, brutal game, plays like a Survival horror/adventure/Visual novel mashup. They nail the atmosphere and that awful feeling of dread, and the voice acting and sound effects are stellar: screams, pleads and whimpers are legitimate, not the dialed-in stuff of poor horror movies. Some scenes are just awful and dark, too much for me at points. Worth a play if you're not squeamish.

Game 13: The Unfinished Swan (Vita) - March 27 - 3 hours
Beautiful, minimalist game. FPS controls, but using balls of paint and water rather than bullets. Simple, fun puzzles and a nice fairy-tale story starring none other than Terry Gilliam. Highly recommended.

Game 14: P.T. (PS4) - March 30 - 8 hours
I simply cannot say enough about PT. Incredible experience, unsettling, scary even with others in the room. Classic horror that takes a lofty place among all mediums, not just games. My #1 gaming wish is that Kojima makes a full fledged game out of the concept now that he's free. Easily a top 10 game of 2014 despite being pretty much a demo.

Game 15: Assassin's Creed II (PC) - April 3 - 18 hours
I loved the setting so much (more games should be in Italy) and Ezio is fantastic. Clothes, environments are great and AC has the best crowds in gaming. Fought with the controls to where my experience was marred a bit. Rolled my eyes at the "only you can save the Earth" revelation, series would be better without the Animus. Story assassinations were superb, though, and well worth the playthrough.

Game 16: Pokémon White Version 2 (DS) - April 10 - 38 hours
Magnezone and Sigilyph led my team to victory this time. I was methodical and built my team early, and as a result found White 2 fairly easy. Team Plasma is still a weak enemy, but the rival character was pretty cool, maybe my favourite in the series. Good fun, as all Pokémon games are.

Game 17: Motorstorm RC (Vita) - April 16 - 13 hours
Remote control cars racing game, reminds one of the Ivan Stewart Arcade game from my younger days. I was horrid at this game, struggling to even place 3rd on many races with no shot at 1st. However, the game itself is quite good and it's rating shouldn't suffer from user error. I enjoyed the playground section, goofing off with the soccer nets.

Game 18: Prototype (PS3) - April 18 - 12 hours
Love the genre and the gameplay it creates, particularly the non-scripted stuff. Game's low points are generic protagonist and setting - Manhattan is overused and I never felt like exploring it yet again. Mercer's powers were varied and fun, and I felt I had more options than I did in Infamous. Once I got the helicopter power though, everything I did revolved around that.

Game 19: FIFA 14 (PS4) - April 25 - 30 hours
Looks and plays well, gameplay is the standard fare, which is fine by me. Played a full season as Liverpool, but spent most of my time in Ultimate Team as I am a fantasy player at heart. Solid entry in the series.

Game 20: Blitzkreig (PC) - May 1 - 28 hours
Very worthy successor to the Sudden Strike games. More of a wargame than a RTS in some ways with the limited resources. Brutally hard, I had a ton of restarts on almost all levels which dampened my enjoyment a bit. Upgrades were very cool and I feel like I didn't get things going until I upgraded Artillery and went to town.

Game 21: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (PC) - May 7 - 25 hours
Superb RPG, superb Star Wars game, better than the original and a 2005 GOTY contender. Chris Avellone has his grimy paws all over this, felt very Planescape-esque in many a conversation and especially with Kreia. Combat and the D20 system are fine, comes naturally to an old veteran. Obsidian's 1st game, showing that the Black Isle crew are alive and well.

Game 22: Hakuoki: stories of the Shinsugumi (PS3) - May 14 - 11 hours
Otome visual novel, bought by Mrs. Krafter and I decided to give it a go. Would have preferred it to be more lewd, and a Yuri option would have been welcomed, but I guess straight guys are not really the target audience. Got Hijitaka's ending, then some save-game cheese to get the easy Platinum.

Game 23: Singstar (PS3) - May 17 - 10 hours
We have multiple versions of this series, and with the wife uploading most everything to the PS4 version, it's high time to retire the old ones. A lot of fun, but needs more 50s-60s-70s songs.

Game 24: Odin Sphere (PS2) - May 20 - 31 hours
Came for superior art, stayed for the gameplay and plot. Another great 2D experience from Vanillaware, plays somewhat like Altered Beast while being far deeper. Growing trees was cool, and the characters were great, all 5 of them. Bosses were brutally hard, and took many frustrating replays to beat. Due to my original PS2 dying, it took a calendar year to beat. Will definitely pick up the remake.

Game 25: Minecraft Vita (Vita) - May 30 - 19 hours
Superior to the PS3 version due to portability, as the graphics and gameplay are identical. This time, did nothing but survival mode with the kids / nieces / nephews over the last few months on weekends. As the kids move on to Roblox, I will probably only play creative mode from here on. Even though I've played Minecraft before, counting this for the 2016 challenge as the game was defeated from scratch on a new version.

Game 26: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3) - June 1 - 20 hours
The series is really firing on all cylinders now, I liked the single city approach best and the controls finally felt like I was in charge of the action. Ezio is his usual great self, and I consider Brotherhood the best of the AC games to date. Rome may be the best city in any game, ever, the setting is much of the appeal and it did not disappoint.

Game 27: The King of Fighters '97 (PSP) - June 7 - 2 hours
Went through with a hodge-podge team of Joe Higashi, Blue Mary and Kyo. Was quite easy save for Orochi, and in typical SNK fashion, was the bulk of my playtime. Good game, poor port.

Game 28: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (PS3) - June 11 - 38 hours
Solid enough RPG with the standard Tales formula. Marta is a cutie-pie, but Emil leaves a horrid first impression and was a poor lead. The Symphonia returning cast, particularly Sheena and Regal, were excellent though. Poor decisions (Lloyd's early arc, lack of party control and customization) bring it down to my least favourite Tales game overall, but still worth a play through.

Game 29: Smart As (Vita) - June 13 - 15 hours
Brain training style of game, with 20 different types of mini-games and a daily training exercise set up for you. Great fun for someone who enjoys trivia and puzzles, and I enjoyed this more than the DS "Brain Age" games. With the online challenges sever shut-off as of May 31, it's time to retire this game. Narrated excellently by John Cleese, amazingly enough my second game starring a Python this year.

Game 30: Echo Night Beyond (PS2) - June 15 - 11 hours
Top-notch atmosphere, quiet and slow, a no combat horror title. Right up my alley. Some find the object puzzles really ground the game to halt and I used a reference at points. The story is the main draw and I loved that aspect, as well as the simple sounds of walking about in an abandoned space station. Very cool and unique, even though it ceased being scary after you've seen a few ghosts.

Game 31: STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC) - June 17 - 22 hours
Holy shit, totally lives up to the hype. Unique setting, incredible atmosphere, bleak, depressing, great gunplay and mechanics, simple plot which is more of a situation than a narrative. My new 2007 GOTY by a fair margin. One of the greatest shooters of all-time, at the very least my favourite of the last dozen years or so. I got the 'default' ending, which wasn't great, but this one's all about the journey, man.

Game 32: LEGO Harry Potter: years 1-4 (DS) - June 18 - 12 hours
Killing off my annual LEGO game and Harry Potter game in one fell swoop. Perfect handheld-length levels, very easy to play through one (44 levels total) in a quick sit down or lunch break. Standard LEGO gameplay, but using the stylus to cast spells was such a perfect touch that this is my new favourite LEGO game. My love for the HP universe doesn't hurt, either.

Game 33: Don't Starve: Console Edition (PS4) - June 24 - 20 hours
A crafting / survival game somewhat in the vein of Minecraft's survival mode. Loved the stylized hand drawn artwork and the varied world-building settings. I probably played this too close to finishing multiple versions of Minecraft, as without the creative mode it feels more barren. Definitely worth multiple playthroughs, unlocking far superior characters.

Game 34: Freedom Wars (Vita) - June 28 - 45 hours
Excellent game, deserves to be an ongoing franchise. Simple enough premise, the years of sentence bar replacing a standard XP bar was clever, and the game is easily played solo or multiplayer depending on your mood. Character creation was the highlight of the show, with your main plus support character entirely in your hands. I made the wife and I into a robot-killing team, naturally. My 13th Platinum trophy and possibly my favourite Vita game to date.

Game 35: Grim Fandango (PC) - July 1 - 13 hours
I have played Grim before, but it was years ago and in tandem with my D&D buddies after gaming sessions, so this is my 1st solo playthrough and I'm counting it here. I think this is the best Lucas adventure game of them all, and that's very high praise. The Land of the Dead is an absurdly fabulous Noir setting, with a great soundtrack and populated with excellent characters (particularly Manny himself.) Puzzles are better than previous games (glares at Maniac Mansion) and are not too troubling. Was prompted by the Remastered version, but wanted to hold off a bit and do an original run first.

Game 36: Star Wars: the Force Unleashed II (PS3) - July 4 - 9 hours
Very quick sequel, finished it in three sessions over a weekend. I loved the original, and the gameplay here is actually a tad better and feels completely natural to wreck the universe with your skills. Where the sequel fails is the story, which is a mad dash just to come full circle and fight Vader again. Ignoring that, I like Witwer as Starkiller and the rest of the game looks and plays like a million bucks. Will miss this series.

Game 37: Star Wars: the Force Unleashed II: the Battle of Endor (PS3) - July 6 - 2 hours
Very cool add-on for FU2 consisting of a single level, a "what if?" scenario that has the bad guys winning Return of the Jedi through your efforts as Starkiller having chose the Evil ending in the original game. Lots of old faces return, and the final boss is a very cool twist. Quick enough that I played through twice in a trophy hunting effort.

Game 38: 5-in-1 Arcade Hits (PSP) - July 10 - 2 hours
Mishmash of 5 mini-games, played them all a few times plus some extra runs of the matching game with my 2-year old. Decent enough time waster for a quick game of pool.

Game 39: Jetpack Joyride (Vita) - July 16 - 5 hours
My favourite Endless Runner game, now on the Vita. Yet another simple game that works better on handhelds for me, but it is objectively identical to the PS3 version. Got some trophies over the weekend and calling it a day.

Game 40: Top Eleven Football Manager 2015 (Android) - July 18 - 11 hours
Fun Football sim, easy to jump in and tweak at a moment's notice. Slimmed down over other games of this sort, and that's not a poor thing at all. Hard to play over SI's FM games, but the price + tablet gaming is a pretty good duo to have in your corner. Won at the bottom tier, and that's a far as I will go with it.

Game 41: Balloon Fight (3DS) - July 23 - 5 hours
Ambassador game, plays pretty much like joust, and some fun was had. I like the "2 hits" life system better than instant death, making you more defensive with one balloon down. Lightning strikes in the later levels can kiss my ass, though.

Game 42: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS) - August 1 - 11 hours
Very interesting cross between an Adventure game and visual novel. Only about 3 to 4 actual puzzles in the whole game on 1 playthrough, I hit a bad end quite abruptly when I thought I was in for 1 or 2 more sequences. Kept my interest throughout regardless, always changing my theories on the who/what/why of it all. Will do speed runs to get to the true ending this week, as I hear it's a doozy.

Game 43: Ikki Tousen: Eloquent Fist (PSP) - August 4 - 8 hours
Predecessor to the Senran games, this is an old school brawler akin to Double Dragon starring the red-hot Battle Vixens and their little skirts. Game looks fantastic, and each of the three stories are beatable in a sitting providing you stay on the offensive. Did all three branches, then a run through arcade mode with best girl Ryofu. Will probably import the sequel.

Game 44: Slender: the Arrival (PS3) - August 7 - 7 hours
A mixed bag, but worth a play if you like horror. Some levels were very quiet and helped build the mood, but Slenderman is used too often too early (levels 2-3) and the "Oh Shit!" level later in the game suffers because of it. The flashback level was really creepy (especially as a three-time Dad) and did well to invoke a feeling of dread. Alberta wilderness is a great setting for this sort of thing.

Game 45: Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS) - August 9 - 27 hours
It pains me to admit this, but this is both the worst Paper Mario and the worst game Intelligent Systems has ever done. Backtracking to an absurd level, I finally relented to a complete step-by-step walkthrough to get by. No leveling up to help out, no party members, just freaking stickers everywhere. Combat is still good, at least.

Game 46: Penumbra: Black Plague (PC) - August 12 - 10 hours
Excellent follow-up to the original, Frictional may be the current horror leads with Silent Hill shelved. No combat, just survive and escape, with FPS mechanics and your "interaction hand." The addition of Clarence really hurt the game and the mood to a degree where I prefer the original, even though Black Plague has far more to do and uncover. Still a great, cold, lonely setting.

Game 47: Rainbow Moon (Vita) - August 17 - 133 hours
Wow, a real gem here. Somewhat open world, exploration based RPG with a fully turn-based combat system. Tons of skills/equipment to uncover/level up, side quests all over the place, a shitload of stuff to do in a lighthearted, fun setting. Six different characters to form your party of three from. Platinumed this, and Rainbow Moon is now my most played game of this year by a decent margin. A sequel is coming soon, too!

Game 48: Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) - August 20 - 78 hours
The DQ quest continues, I aim for 1 game a year and here's the 2016 entry. Huge world, but a large amount of playtime was simply grinding. Loved the cast (Jessica & Yangus mainly) and the party size, voice acting was full of fun and personality. Probably my favourite Level-5 RPG, but not DQ game as I liked IV and V better. Still, a fun, old-school romp that will always have a place on my shelf.

Game 49: Broforce (PS4) - August 23 - 8 hours
Side scrolling shooter in the vein of Rush n' Attack, but with a myriad of Action Heroes as your army and with destructible terrain thrown on top. The macho voice over guy was perfect, as well as the various takes on Rambo, Terminator, Ripley, ect. Final boss was rough, and the final mission was a fifth of the entire game. The most manliest American game ever, so naturally it was made in South Africa.

Game 50: Metrico (Vita) - August 29 - 4 hours
Puzzler that plays like a platformer. Only 6 levels, but each has totally different mechanics making for a unique experience. Needed help in some spots, but overall very fair. Perfect PS Plus game in the respect that I would have not given this one a shot otherwise.

Game 51: Painkiller (PC) - September 1 - 13 hours
Old school PC shooter, plays like a combination of Serious Sam and Blood, and I mean that in the best possible way. Weapons and some levels were hit-and-miss, but the simplicity of the plot and gameplay was absolutely dead on. The game ended well, as the last 2 levels in particular were really cool and memorable. Not necessarily a classic, but safely in the next rung below.

Game 52: Tales From Space: About a Blob (PS3) - September 4 - 9 hours
Alien Blob platformer with stellar art and a touch of Katamari, with a 50's Sci-Fi theme. I was not very good at this, but the "Orange monster" (according to my 3 year old) jumping about and eating stuff makes it worth it. I prefer the more streamlined sequel, which I played a few years back, but the original is a good game as well.

Game 53: Resistance: Burning Skies (Vita) - September 11 - 8 hours
Took me by surprise, I loved this game. Six meaty levels, beaten in one session each, then some trophy mop up for the Platinum. The Alien enemies were cool, the weapons were variations on classics, and the controls easy. Pretty much an old school FPS campaign with modern graphics.

Game 54: The Fall (PS4) - September 21 - 5 hours
So similar to Swapper in looks and setting it feels like a parallel story in the same universe, with a pistol in place of the Swapper device. The Fall is an Adventure game at it's heart, with inventory solutions that aren't very obvious, and a few combat sections. Nails the mood aspect, and the characters' voices convey a lot. The end is terrific, and I will be totally on board for the next iteration from Over the Moon.

Game 55: Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy (Vita) - September 25 - 22 hours
Platformer in the vein of the Spyro or Ratchet & Clank games, jumping around on stuff collecting orbs. Jak is kinda there, but Daxter is the life of the party and made the game a lot more fun. Some great levels (Snow, Beach and Lava), but the Spider Cave made me pull my hair out on many a moment. Objectively, a well-done title, just not my thing.

Game 56: Fat Princess (PS3) - October 3 - 15 hours
Fun multiplayer to the point where I did not mess with the solo campaign, which is very, very unlike me. Great little characters running about, decent enough strategy, simple controls. My girls when they want snacks come up to me and go "Cake, please!" now. This and the Vita match-three game make a good little series, underrated games.

Game 57: Boiling Point: Road to Hell (PC) - October 6 - 21 hours
Another excellent Ukrainian open world shooter, STALKER-like gameplay in a corrupt, Columbia-like setting. 6 separate factions to play for or against, red herring quests all over the place, there was a ton to do even if I largely made sure I had just enough for good quality weapons and went after the main quest. Loved the family aspect of the main quest, even if it got nutty in the final parts. Going after Xenus II and Precursors if I can find them.

Labadal

Game 1: Detective Grimoire - 3 hours (100%)

Game 2: Killzone: Liberation - 6 hours

Game 3: Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey - 6 hours

Game 4: Drakensang: The River of Time - 32 hours

Game 5: Nihilumbra - 3 hours

Game 6: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 - 36 hours

Game 7: DEX - 17 hours

Game 8: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - 19 hours

Game 9: The Walking Dead: Season Two - 10 hours (100%)

Game 10: Persona 4: Golden - 83 hours

Game 11: Mahjong!! - ?? hours (100%)

Game 12: The Book of Unwritten Tales - 13 hours

Game 13: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 32 hours (100%)

Game 14: Spoiler Alert - 1 hour

Game 15: Final Fantasy: Type-0 HD - 41 hours

Game 16: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris - 7 hours

Game 17: Summoner - 33 hours (100%)

Game 18: Broken Age - 10 hours

Yes, I am definitely in for this! My backlog is atrocious and claiming this post is in my best interest, I think. Plus, even if I were to just go after the indies in my backlog, it's still doable and productive.

1. The Beginner's Guide (1/4/2016). ~2 hours. This was a wonderful game to kick the year off with. I love meta stuff like this, and I love personal works. It isn't as impactful by any means, but this is kind of like an EOE type thing that anyone can experience in under 2 hours, and I love that. I give it a solid 8/10.
2. That Dragon, Cancer (1/12/2016). ~2 hours. Wow. As I stated in the previous game, I love personal games, and this is about as deep as that can possibly go. Bawled my eyes out for the entire run, and my experience was only hampered by a few glitches and a few moments where I found myself wrestling with the controls. Overall, I'd tell anyone who wants to see the experiences that games can provide to pick this up, because it's pretty incredible. 7.5/10.
3. Oxenfree (1/21/2016). ~4 hours. I LOVED THIS. Really excited to do a few more playthroughs at some point. 8.5/10.

Pending (games that I've started or plan to start shortly and could pop up as completed at any point):
Yakuza 3
Shadow of the Colossus
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Journey
Flower
Braid
Hotline Miami
Alpha Protocol
Her Story
Undertale
The Witcher 3
Fallout 4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Dying Light
The Order: 1886

Arthea

I finished 74 games last year, not sure I'll get to 52 this year, but what the heck, there is no harm in trying.

1. SquareCells - ~5 hours
A nice little nonogram game with a twist.
2. Regency Solitaire - ~9 hours
It's not a solitaire I thought it is, it's just golf.
3. Left in the Dark: No One on Board - 4 hours
4. Cross Set - 7 hours
Interesting take on Sudoku
5. Sparkle 2 - 7 hours
6. Koi-Koi Japan - 57 hours
7. Doodle God - 15 hours
8. Solitaire Christmas. Match 2 Cards - 35 hours
9. Written in the Sky - ~50 minutes
10. The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns - ~2 hours
11. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC - 120 hours
12. My Name is Mayo - ~1 hour
13. Stardew Valley - 202 hours
14. Demon Hunter: Chronicles from Beyond - 6 hours
15. Polyology - 2 hours
16. Lost Lands: Mahjong - 90 hours
17. Quell Reflect - 4 hours
18. Mini Metro - 7 hours
19. Chef Solitaire: USA - 19 hours
20. Clover Tale - 22 hours
21. One Thousand Lies - ~1h hour
22. The Room two - 5 hours
23. Monster Loves You! - 2 hours
24. Swapperoo - 14 hours
25. Highrise Heroes: Word Challenge - 35 hours
26. SweatShop - 5 hours
27. I am Setsuna - 58 hours
28. Akin - ~2 hours
29. Sudoku Quest - 8 hours
30. 12 Labours of Hercules - 9 hours
31. Solitairica - 32 hours
32. Plantera - 9 hours
33. Zenge - ~2 hours
34. Alphabeats: Master Edition - ~1 hour
35. Quell Memento - 13 hours
36. Gems of War - 134 hours

After squeaking by for 2014 and 2015, I'm definitely going to give it a shot again in 2016.

EDIT: Here's the full list. Unlike last year, I'm not going to do a whole blurb for each game, only the ones I really liked. I played way too much mediocre/meh games this year to write up my thoughts on each one.

Game 1: The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone (PC, ~15 hours)
I absolutely loved this. In terms of story, it arguably had a tighter, better realized story than the main game (which is a pretty big accomplishment on its own!).

Game 2: Just Cause 3 (PC, ~35 hours)
I liked this, performance issues aside. It's not as good as JC2, but the wingsuit is stupidly entertaining.

Game 3: Splatoon (Wii U, ~ 15 hours)
Story-mode was meh, online had potential, but forcing the use of the stupid Gamepad/tablet monstrosity and not allowing the Pro controller ultimately killed any enjoyment I got out of this.

Game 4: Lords of the Fallen + Ancient Labyrinth DLC (PC, ~20 hours)
I actually really liked this. Others liken it to Dark Souls/Demon's Souls, but if you play it like that you're playing it wrong. Throwing the comparisons aside and playing it for what it is, it's actually a really enjoyable game. (DLC not so much, though)

Game 5: Batman: Arkham Knight + Season of Infamy (PC, ~35 hours)
Performance issues aside, this was really great. The Season Pass was complete garbage though, definitely skip that.

Game 6: Batman: Arkham Knight: Arkham Episodes (PC, hours included above)

Game 7: Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC, ~19 hours)
Meh. Not really a "Tomb Raider" game, more like Uncharted-lite. The performance of this was pretty poor around launch, so it gets dinged for that as well. Largely forgettable.

Game 8: Framed (iOS, ~2 hours)
A short-but-sweet puzzle game. I enjoyed it.

Game 9: Dragon's Dogma (PC, ~57 hours)
Masterworks, all -- you can't go wrong.

Game 10: A Story About My Uncle (PC, ~5 hours)
Meh.

Game 11: Darksiders (PC, ~15 hours)
Meh -- it had potential, but way too many fetch quests/go here do thing, etc. Overall I enjoyed it to some extent.

Game 12: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC, ~24 hours)
Hot garbage. Holy crap, how can you make a game this aggressively unfunny and unfun?

Game 13: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel | Claptastic Voyage (PC, ~4 hours)
This was just annoying. Hated it.

Game 14: Assault Android Cactus (PC, ~5 hours)
Great game. Really enjoyed seeing its progress in the Indie Dev thread, too.

Game 15: Dark Souls III (PC, ~34 hours)
Meh. Better than Dark Souls II, but significantly worse than Dark Souls.

Game 16: Ratchet and Clank (PS4, ~15 hours)
Game 17: Ratchet and Clank (PS4, Trophy cleanup)

Amazing. We need more Ratchet games, especially with the new-ish HDR patch that makes it even more gorgeous.

Game 18: The Lab (PC, ~ 1.5 hours)
My first experience in the Vive, and it didn't disappoint. Some of the minigames here are great -- especially Longbow.

Game 19: Budget Cuts VR Demo (PC, ~30 minutes)
I'm eagerly anticipating the full release of this. It's probably the best VR experience I've had.

Game 20: Ratchet and Clank (PS4, Challenge Mode/Cleanup, ~10 hours)

Game 21: Vanishing Realms (PC, Just shy of 2 hours)
Meh. Didn't like it, and actually ended up refunding it.

Game 22: Uncharted 4 (PS4, ~12 hours)
Game 23: Uncharted 4 (PS4, ~5 hours (Speedrun + 70% Accuracy Run)

It's no Uncharted 2, but it's serviceable. Too much talking, not enough action, but overall it was pretty decent.

Game 24: Job Simulator (PC, ~3 hours)
Meh. Not great -- it's okay for getting used to VR, but there are much better things to play.

Game 25: The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC, ~40 hours)
Not quite as tight as Hearts of Stone, but much more open with more to do. I loved this -- so much that it's a bittersweet end to one of the best games I've ever played.

Game 26: The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna (PC, ~10 hours)
Really good DLC to a great game, but holy cow -- some of these puzzles are hard.

Game 27: Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition (PC, ~ 80 hours)
One of the best examples of quantity of quality. The game starts strong, but by the end of it was was desperate for it to be over. Too much bland text and boring quests -- towards the end we (that is my co-op partner and I) were literally just checking of the bare minimum to progress the story forward. I'm looking forward to the sequel, as many of my problems here look like they're being addressed.

Game 28: NOT A HERO: ME MYSELF & BUNNYLORD CAMPAIGN DLC (PC, ~2 hours)
Vote Bunnylord!

Game 29: Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut (PC, ~4 hours)
Not bad -- a little bit of a retread near the end, but I enjoyed it.

Game 30: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (PS4, ~7 hours)
Game 31: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (PS4, ~11 hours)
Game 32: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4, ~10 hours)

These are great remasters of great games. Drake's Fortune is the roughest, gameplay-wise, but they all hold up really well.

Game 33: Yooka-Laylee Toybox Plus (PC, ~1 hour)
Looking forward to the real-deal -- this was just what I was hoping for.

Game 34: Earth Defense Force 2 (Vita, Pale Wing -- Normal, ~13.5 hours)
This ruined my fond memories of playing the Japanese version on PS2. Holy crap, this didn't hold up at all, and the localization was garbage. "Buggernauts", really?

Game 35: Absolute Drift (PC, ~2.5 hours)
Drift for the mystery Buddha!

Game 36: Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4 ~12 hours)
This plays way better here than it did on the Vita. A great game, really looking forward to Gravity Rush 2.

Game 37: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: The Missing Link (PC ~5 hours)
Meh. I enjoyed it, but it's a pretty by-the-numbers DLC.

Game 38: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC, ~40 hours)
Performance issues aside, I really enjoyed this. Playing "bad neighbor Jensen" for the first few hours and figuring out how to break into your apartment complex's rooms was a great way to start out.

Game 39: Broforce (PC, ~18 hours)
Rest in peace, bro. Satan didn't stand a chance.

Game 40: Super Time Force Ultra (PC, ~5 hours)
Novel concept, kind of bland execution.

Game 41: Grow Home (PS4, ~4 hours)
Charming, but ultimately unfulfilling.

Game 42: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U, ~8 hours)
A couple of filler levels aside, I enjoyed it.

Game 43: Forza Horizon 3 (Xbone, ~25 hours)
Not quite as well-thought-out as the previous entries, I still had a blast with it.

Game 44: Hard Reset Redux (PC, ~10 hours)
Terrible. Absolutely awful, and horrendously boring.

Game 45: Titan Souls (PC ~3 hours)
Difficult, but enjoyable.

Multiplayer or open-ended games

Game 46: Zombie Training Simulator (PC, Vive)
Zombies are significantly scarier in VR, so I enjoy shooting at non-threatening card-board cutouts of them.

Game 47: Space Pirate Trainer (PC, Vive)
Not really training me to be a Space Pirate, instead it's teaching me to be an awesome gunslinger that can utilize bullet-time like Neo.

Game 48: Audioshield (PC, Vive)
I enjoy punching things in VR, and I enjoy music, so therefor I must enjoy punching music.

Game 49: Uncharted 4 Multiplayer (PS4)
This can be ridiculously fun at times, and completely frustrating other times. The matchmaking is honestly one of the worst I've ever experienced.

Game 50: Team Fortress 2 (PC)
Cry havoc, and let slip the hats of war.

Game 51: Rocksmith 2014 (PC)
Oh yes, I do enjoy rocking out occasionally.

Game 52: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PC)
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

And that's 52, making this my third year squeaking by with just enough games. My previous entries:

jnWake

I'll "try" this again this year. Claiming this as main post.

Completed:

Game #1: Sonic the Hedgehog 3D (3DS).

Game #2: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii).

Game #3: Pokémon Picross (3DS).

Game #4: The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS).

Game #5: Undertale (PC).

Game #6: Mega Man Zero 2 (GBA VC).

Game #7: Paper Mario (N64 VC).

Game #8: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Wii U).

Game #9: The Swapper (Wii U).

Game #10: Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS).

Game #11: Teslagrad (Wii U).

Game #12: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii).

Game #13: My Nintendo Picross: Twilight Princess (3DS).

Game #14: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS).

Game #15: Metroid Fusion (GBA VC).

Game #16: Monument Valley (iOS).

Game #17: Rayman Jungle Run (iOS).

Game #18: Rayman Fiesta Run (iOS).

Game #19: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U).

Game #20: Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (3DS).

Game #21: F-Zero (SNES VC).

Game #22: Rayman 3D (3DS).

Game #23: Find Mii I & II (3DS).

Game #24: Mii Force (3DS).

Game #25: Battleground Z (3DS).

Game #26: The World Ends With You (DS).

Backlog:

Wii U:
1. Nintendo Land.
2. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.
3. Super Smash Bros for Wii U.
4. Hyrule Warriors.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD.
6. Affordable Space Adventures.
7. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse.
8. Freedom Planet.
9. Citizens of Earth.
10. Swords & Soldiers II.
11. Runbow.

Wii U Virtual Console:
1. Advance Wars.
2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
3. Earthbound Begginings.
4. Kirby's Return to Dreamland.
5. Punch Out!!
6. Mario & Luigi Partners in Time.
7. Metroid Zero Mission

3DS:
1. Kid Icarus: Uprising.
2. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.
3. Phoenix Wright Trilogy.
4. Inazuma Eleven.
5. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars.
6. Retro City Rampage DX.
7. Rhytm Tief & the Emperor's Treasure.
8. Nano Assault Neo EX.
9. Mario & Luigi Paper Jam.
10. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GB VC).
11. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GB VC).
12. Pokémon Moon (3DS).
13. Dragon Ball Fusions.
14. Mario & Luigi Dream Team.
15. Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies.
16. Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice.

DS:
1. Pokémon Black 2.
2. 999.
3. Ghost Trick.
4. Apollo Justice Ace Attorney.
5. Final Fantasy IV.
6. Okamiden.
7. Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

PC:
1. Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty.
2. Limbo.

Huge backlog! Need to decide in which order I'll tackle it.

EDIT (01/05/16): Damn you Humble Bundle for adding like 10 more titles to my list...
EDIT (31/12/16): Just half of the goal! Happy with that.

Brew124

Completed: 14/52

1. Tales of Zestiria (1/3/16) - Finished at 44 hours and 56 minutes. I thought the game was really well done, and was perhaps one of my favorite Tales games, having played them all except for Graces f.

2. Dragon Quest Heroes (1/10/16) - Finished at 35 hours and 14 minutes. The gameplay was fantastic, as were the graphics. I also enjoyed the story for what it was, even if it was a little silly at times.

3. Beyond Eyes (1/11/16) - Finished at 2 hours and 55 minutes. Beautiful game.

4. Omega Quintet (1/15/16) - Finished at 41 hours and 25 minutes. I enjoy Compile Heart games for what they are.

5. Three Fourths Home (1/26/16) - Finished completely in around an hour and 20 minutes. The game definitely hooked me with it's story, and I was actually left wanting it to continue for just a bit longer.

6. Submerged (1/30/16) - Finished at 3 hours and 10 minutes. I actually thought it was a little boring and could have done so much more.

7. Uncharted 2 (2/1/16) - Finished at 9 hours and 39 minutes. Finally got around to playing this after so many years. Just need to complete Uncharted 3 now before April 26th!

8. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (2/27/16) - Finished at 71 hours and 2 minutes. The game was extremely addicting. Leveling up countless Digimon was a blast.

9. Far Cry Primal (3/6/16) - Finished at 14 hours and 3 minutes. I felt it was average at best. More of the same.

10. Megadimension Neptunia VII (4/3/16) - Finished at 40 hours and 30 minutes. I enjoyed it, but I've liked every main line Neptunia game.

11. Dark Souls 3 (4/21/16) - Finished at 44 hours and 13 minutes. Phenomenal game. My second favorite in the series, coming in at an extremely close second to Bloodborne.

12. Uncharted 3 (5/8/16) - Finished at 8 hours and 3 minutes. Not quite as good as Uncharted 2, but still a solid game that leaves me greatly looking forward to the final installment.

13. Uncharted 4 (5/21/16) - Finished at 17 hours and 55 minutes. Absolutely amazing game. Naughty Dog wrapped the story up perfectly, and created one of the best games and stories ever made.

14. Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (6/5/16) - Finished at 26 hours and 40 minutes. What a fantastic story this game has. I'm not a huge fan of strategy RPG's, but this one felt right to me. Soundtrack is superb as well.

xSL4INx

Going to participate this year! Reserving my spot to update later. I can't wait to see how the year pans out!

Completed

January

1. Fire Emblem Awakening - 17 Hours, 56 Minutes; 1/13/16
2. Tomb Raider 2013 - 11 Hours, 1/24/16

Okingjrr

Hopefully this year's the one.
Claiming this post.

---------
Game 1: Battlefield Hardline (Xbox One) - 01/24/16 - 7 hours
I played this back when EA Access was free for the weekend. I was curious to see what the singleplayer was like and couldn't say no to the low, low price of free.
I like it, the police show style presentation was engaging despite the obvious story beats.
Gunplay was as satisfiying as a (modern) Battlefield game should be.

Game 2: Dying Light (PC) - 02/02/16 - 33 hours
Picked this up with 3 other friends and we had a blast with it.
The overall story was OK, nothing to write home about. Most of the experience was running around with my friends and bashing some zombie skull.

Game 3: Streets of Rage 2 (Sega classics) (PC) - 03/04/16 - 4 hours overall
A classic beat em up I decided to spend time with and it was a classic experience, I'll say that.
It's a pretty straight forward game that gets tough and borderline frustrating near the 70% of the game. I did have to use save states because of the problematic hitboxes of certain enemies but it was worth it.

Game 4: The Division (PC) - March 2016 - 30ish hours
Played The Division with 3 other friends, and I'll say that it's the best way to play the game (I don't trust randoms). It's a fun multiplayer experience, just like Dying Light
It has a fun gameplay loop but it sadly get too repetitive for it's own good. Near the end , the fatigue was certainly setting in.

Game 5: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One) - 04/09/16 - 10 hours
It's Gears, in it's most janky version. It was definitely a good time with my brother. save for those sections where you have to split up and the game gets super tough for no reason.
Pulling off headshots and perfect active reloads still feel satifying as all hell.

Game 6: Rayman Legends (Xbox One) - 04/30/16 - 40 hours
As one of the many Ubisoft games I've gotten thanks to GWG, I wasn't expecting to sink so much time in Rayman Legends.
I booted it up to play a quick platformer while cooking and got sucked into the fun platforming and french humor.
I basically 100% the game, save for 3-4 achievements.
It's a really great game and any one looking for platformer should look out for this.

Game 7: Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3 Campaign (Xbox One) - 04/30/16 - 8ish hours
Played most of the campaign with a friend and couldn't pay much attention to the story. Abandoned the game for a while and came back to it today (04/30) to polish it off. Sadly, story prgression was linked to my friends profile and I couldn't continue normally. SO I go through "Mission Select" and do the last 3 mission left.
A ways into the last mission, the game crashed on me. Because I didn't have any saves, I had to start it over. I get near the end, about 5 minutes from the credits and the game crashes again. There, I gave up, I didn't have the drive to do it again.
For a COD campaign, I was disappointed by the extremely convoluted story. Shinobi602 summed up my feelings in one of his post about this game.

Game 8: Rainbow Six: Siege (PC) - on and off - 60 hours so far
This is a great game. Most people here on GAF have praised this game for it's team centered gameplay and they're right.
With 4 other friends, I've spent countless adrenaline filled nights on this game.

Game 9: Street Fighter V (PC) - on and off - 26 hours so far
Getting in on Street Fighter V as it's in its launch phase is great, I get to play and learn with everyone. Simplified mechanics ( compared to 4) make it less frustating to pull off combos and I actually feel like I can be good at the game.

Game 10: Medal of Honor 2010 (PC) - 05/13/16 - 4 hours
The campaign was pretty fun. I felt like it conveyed what being part of an ongoing effort to stop terrorism whilst showing the human side of soldiers.
Solid gunplay, nothing much to say aside from that. I enjoyed my time with it.

DigSCCP

Claimed.
Last year was imposible for me due to work but this year I will give it a go.

Playing right now: Ni No Kuni

Ranmo

1. Transformers Devastation | January 3rd | 5 hours | Score: 7.8/10
Second playthrough for LP purposes. A great Bayonetta reskin that is very replayable.

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC | January 8th | 34 hours | Score: 7.5/10
Basic RPG in terms of mechanics, strong writing saves the game.

3. Sonic Colors | January 22nd | 4 hours | Score: 8/10
Great Sonic game, some annoying stages toward the end of the game but overall game is fantastic.

4. Fire Emblem Awakening | Februrary 13th | 30 hours | Score: 10/10
Great Fire Emblem game per the usual. Played the game on Classic Hard Mode and had a blast. Backloged it long ago due to games probably being released. Great entry point for beginners due to
easier difficulties and a modern mode setting that players can use where units don't perma die. Hard mode Classic was very enjoyable and had some challenging points (though mostly through enemy reinforcement fluff)

5. Street Fighter V | Februrary 16th | 2.5 hours | Score: 7.5/10
Beat the Story Mode for all the starting 16 characters. I like what they did with story mode for now but the single player experience of the game is pretty bare bones right now. There isn't even a traditional arcade mode available. Which is super weird. Gameplay wise the game feels fantastic though, will be pouring many hours into this game. I'd give the game a higher score but for the lack of challenge and arcade modes I had to lower the score as much as it pains me to do so.

6. Bravely Default | April 16th | 83:31:29 Play Time | Score: 8.5/10
Write up coming soon.

7. Phantasy Star Online 2 | Never Ending | 500 hours | Score: 8/10
I will be doing a summary write up at the end of the year of my accomplishments.

8. Bravely Second | May 21st | 65:00:35 Play Time | Score: 9.5/10
The game is fantastic, while it does recycle a handful of environments and even boss fights (as side quest battles) the game manages to succeed strongly with the huge lesson the developers learned from the first installment.
While JRPG stories are known to generally be less then stellar, Bravely Second manages to at least bring some very creative set pieces into the game that left me more than happy story-wise.
Game play wise, the game improves upon the originals battle system, which is a fantastic system. Early on they introduce you to a handful of brand new jobs that manage to bring abilities that I found to be very interesting, and very welcomed additions to the job roster. Honestly, this game is in my top 10 RPGs at this point. Highly recommend, very easy to jump in if you want to skip the first game. (Though I do recommend playing the first game, even though it does have that...one problem.)

9. DOOM | May 22nd | 8:00:00ish Play Time | Score: 9/10
Write up soon.

10. Super Mario Galaxy 2 | June 19th | 10:00:00 Play Time | Score: 8/10
Write up soon.

11. Overwatch | Ongoing | 47:00:00 Play Time | Score: 10/10
I'll update this later down the year. I'm constantly going to be dumping a lot of time into this game.

12. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest | June 29th | 37:00:00 Play Time | Score: 9/10
Write up soon.

13. Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins | July 1st | Score: 8/10
Solid platformer as always. Replayed it slowly during downtime when waiting for stuff. It's easy enough that it's really relaxing when you're looking to burn some time off your hands. Game play is solid, my only gripe is the last level. The difficulty leap is absurd.

14. Mighty No. 9 | 3 hours Play Time | July 17th | Score: 6/10
Oh god. It has decent things going for it. The core gameplay is fine. The level design is wonky 80% of the time. The best level in the game you don't even play as Beck and most of the weapons don't work well with the dash mechanic. Which imo is the most important feature in the game. Will probably make a thread and do write ups.

15. I am Setsuna | 22ish hours Play Time | July 28th | Score: 7.5/10
I am Setsuna is a great old school JRPG that has a lot of clear inspirations from Chrono Trigger. Unfortunately, just like Chrono Trigger the game is very easy. However, much like with CT you can easily overlook difficulty due to how fun and interesting the game can be. It's story is tropey as hell, but honestly that's what JRPGs are, and I love it. I gave it a solid 7.5 due to the games plot holes, some design decisions (mainly regarding how one gains new abilities, and SP system is kind of not necessary), and deducted points for the games graphics. I mean it's fine to me, but when critiquing you can't ignore the fact that the graphics are HD PS2 status for a $40 game.
Highly recommend the games to fans of the genre.

16. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD | 41:39:14 Play Time | August 26th | Score: 9/10
I loved everything about this game. The art style, the game play, the setting. Just something about future-ish Anime settings and bright colors that get me every time. The story is nothing to right home about, but tbh that's like every JRPG ever for the most part. The game play is very satisfying. While the game isn't incredibly difficult, and is actually pretty easy for most of the game, it still manages to have some rewarding moments. Whether that be conquering a tough boss fight, or completely demolishing a boss with over powered abilities. Highly recommend. Sad about the developer situation (bankrupt), but maybe SEGA will make another 7th Dragon game one day. I mean, the company went under before this game even got localized so they must have the rights or something.

17. Ratchet & Clank 2016 | 12ish hours Play Time | September 4th | Score: 9.5/10
I had a blast playing this remake. I hardly remember the original as I had rented it at a young age but the game looked and played beautifully. They integrated some recycled CG cut scenes from the film decently, sometimes there were awkward cuts and what not but that's to be expected and it's honestly just knit picking. Games pacing was tight and I never felt bored or dreading completing a side mission. The latter levels of the game get quite intense with things happening all over the place, it's a blast! All in all a fantastic game that I recommend to anyone looking for a fun Adventure 3rd person shooter. I haven't beaten the challenge mode, which effectively makes the game harder, but I plan to do so somewhat soon. Much like previous games in the series, the game is highly re-playable.

18. Azure Striker Gunvolt | 5:47:38 Play Time | October 5th | Score: 8/10
Fantastic successor to the X series. The game's level design most of the time can be pretty straight forward, but the action is top notch and it's a blast to replay. My main gripe with the game is part of the design decision for the final boss and how the mechanic works, but otherwise the game is very fun. I'd give it a higher score if the level design had some more depth to it, and if the extra weapons / items were more useful. Make sure you get the true ending when you play!

19. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 | 6:34:28 Play Time | October 25th | Score: 8/10
Write up soon.

20. World of Final Fantasy | 58:28:15 Play Time | November 20th| Score: 9/10
Write up soon.

21. Uncharted 4 | 00:00:00 Play Time | November 28th| Score: 9/10
Write up soon.

22. FINAL FANTASY XV | 50:00:00 Play Time | December 8th| Score: 5/10
Write up soon.

23. Crash Bandicoot | 5:30:00 Play Time | December 10th| Score: 7/10
Write up soon.

Now Playing:

Overwatch
7th Dragon 2020
Odin Sphere
7th Dragon III Code:VFD End Game

--Backlog--
Breath of Fire IV
Trails in the Sky 2
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

I really need to clear these games before I pick something else up from the backlog/ new releases...

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
1. Avenging Spirit (3DS VC/GB): 1:15, Jan. 5th.
Enjoyable platformer about a ghost possessing people to rescue a doctor's daughter from gangsters. It's nothing spectacular, but it's definitely cute and fun.

2. Comix Zone (PC): 2:08, Jan. 9th.
I've tried to beat this game so many times before, and after multiple attempts at trying to finish it over the years, I've finally finished it. The time indicated up there is the only for the successful session, which includes multiple game overs. Comix Zone is a really nice-looking, stylistic beatem up that forces the player to rely on memorization to progress through the unforgiving levels. It's still a great game, despite the high difficulty and the annoying pits.

3. Alice: Madness Returns (PC): 14:50, Jan. 14th.
I really liked the art direction (the hair physics count towards this, too) and the game's story, but the levels last far too long. The game ends up feeling repetitive after a few hours, but I still enjoyed it overall. Hopefully a third Alice game is made in the future.

4. Rune Factory 4 (3DS): 28:46 in 2015, 67:18 total, Jan 18th.
It's a great game overall, but I have some issues with it, mainly the pacing. The first arc goes by pretty quickly and the second arc is slower, but still doesn't drag on for too long. The third arc, however, is a mess. It only really starts once you trigger a random event, which could happen at any point after the end of the second arc, leaving a lot of downtime in between the second and third arcs. The third arc itself drags on for way too long, and I would have been stuck in said arc for longer if I didn't get a lucky random drop (I found a weapon that boosted my attack from ~1500 to ~11,000, which made the final areas super easy).

Despite that, RF4 is probably my favorite RF game. The dungeon design is alright for the most part, the farming part of the game is solid, and the music is fine. The characters, and the interactions with them, are easily the best aspect of the game. The random events are nice (outside of the one that triggers the third arc) and give RF4 a slice of life sort of vibe. There's a ton of dialogue for every character that changes daily, and the localization is excellent. I'd recommend it just for those reasons alone.

5. Her Story (PC): 3:01, Jan 19th.
Great FMV-based mystery game. I understand why some people aren't fond of the game, but I found the "solve the mystery on your own" style of gameplay to be engaging on a level that plenty of other games fail to reach. I highly recommend going in with as little knowledge regarding the game as possible for the optimal experience.

6. Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (3DS): 5:20, Jan. 24th.
Extreme Butoden is a bland fighting game with great sprites and animations. The combos are all very basic, the playable roster is very limited, and there are a ton of completely useless assist characters that would have been better off as playable fighters. The story mode scenarios are mostly uninteresting, excluding the final scenario, and the adventure mode features far too many battles that frequently repeat due to the limited roster. It's one of the best examples of a mediocre fighting game I can think of.

7. Pokémon Picross (3DS): 47:14, Jan. 24th.
First picross related game I've ever played, and I had a blast with it. There's not much to really say about it other than that, though I do wish that it featured more Pokémon, and the time limits were bothersome at times.

8. Mario Kart 7 (3DS): 10:17, Jan. 28th.
Good entry in the series, even if it is formulaic. There's a lot of variety in the track selection, both old and new, and this game's Rainbow Road is probably my favorite version. The limited roster and the underutilization of the new mechanics is disappointing, as is the game's battle mode. Overall, however, I enjoyed this about as much I enjoyed MK Double Dash, DS, and Wii, so there's that.

9. Pushmo (3DS): 14:48, Feb. 6th.
While it did go on for a little too long, I still had a great time with it. The puzzles had varying levels of difficulty throughout, and the different mechanics were explained well throughout the game. I did get stuck on a few levels, but I eventually managed to finish all of the main levels. I'll get around to Crashmo at some point, too.

10. Shadowrun: Hong Kong: Shadows of Hong Kong (PC): 7:24, Feb. 7th.
While it's not as good as the base campaign, the bonus campaigns acts as a nice little epilogue and clears up a few loose ends. It's not as long as I had hoped, and that includes a good bit of time that was spent on one encounter that was particularly difficult to the high number of enemies. Depending on how quickly you get to the side missions, the final hub of the campaign only shows up once or twice, which is a shame since it's a neat little hub. Still, it was nice to spend more time with the game's runners, and the moral choices, particularly one in a side mission, were thought-provoking.

11. Mighty Switch Force (3DS): 2:25, Feb. 10th.
I don't have much to say about this one, thought it was a standard puzzle platformer game. The soundtrack is good, and the game's short, so it doesn't get stale. The main gimmick of switching between blocks was okay I guess, but the game wasn't memorable at all outside of the music.

12. Fallout: New Vegas: Ultimate Edition (PC): 74:14, Feb. 16th.
New Vegas fixes many of the problems that I had with Fallout 3, the most notable being the improvements in writing quality and side-quests. One of my favorite aspects of the game is the high level of complexity and the amount of options given to the quests. The main quest and characters are far more interesting and memorable than their FO3 equivalents as well. The incredible bugginess that defined the game at launch has lessened over time with community driven patches, which only improves my opinion of the game. The atmosphere feels similar to FO2's, right down to the silliness that you'll sometimes encounter while exploring, which can be a dealbreaker for some, sure, but I prefer that sort of atmosphere in Fallout games. At the same time, there's a lot of seriousness to the worldbuilding, leading to a nice balance in tones. The return of the reputation system also added some much needed depth to how the player interacts with settlements and factions that was kind of lost in 3. Speaking of factions, NV's factions are much better than 3's.

As for the DLC, Old World Blues is my favorite. The goofy corniness of Mobius, Klein, and the other think tanks add to the 50's sci-fi feel of the expansion, and the storyline itself is great. The continuation of Elijah's and Ulysses' backstories also help to flesh them out a bit, which helps to add to their own DLCs. Dead Money is my second favorite, despite the increase in difficulty. Obsidian nails the survival horror atmosphere, and Christine and Dog/God are great additions to the game. The inclusion of Christine and Elijah also expands some of the main game's lore, especially in regard to Veronica (who is probably my favorite companion in the game). The loss of all of the player's gear and the inability to fast travel can be a little annoying, but it was never enough to sour me on the campaign. Lonesome Road is okay, but it's by far the most annoying to go through due to the one-hit kill Deathclaws. The final encounter with Ulysses felt like a disappointment after he was built up in the other DLCs, but his backstory is still great. ED-E 2.0 is surprisingly cool, though. The most disappointing one is Honest Hearts, which is just bland outside of Joshua Graham. The companions, in particular, are dull compared to the companions in the other DLCs and the main game.

Overall, New Vegas is one of my favorite modern RPGs, despite its flaws. I hope Obsidian gets to work on the Fallout franchise again, or at least is able to develop its own Fallout-like game in the future.

13. Mutant Mudds Deluxe (3DS): 6:48, Feb. 21st.
Incredibly frustrating platformer that just isn't fun. Admittedly, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it more if I had known that the patch/dlc wasn't automatically downloaded when I started it, which meant that there were no checkpoints at first. The game's still frustrating even with checkpoints, though, whole thing felt like a chore to play regardless.

14. Pokémon Red (3DS VC/GB): 25:47, Mar. 8th.
I don't think Red and Blue hold up well. Several mechanics are straight up broken (like focus energy, for example). A lot of the character art is downright hideous, especially when it's compared to later generations and official artwork promoting gen 1. Anyway, for this run, I went with a pretty basic team of Venusaur, Pidgeot, Poliwrath, Arcanine, Jolteon, and Nidoqueen. Arcanine is still probably my favorite gen 1 poke. There aren't many reasons to go back to Red outside of nostalgia and completing the gen 1 Pokedex.

15. Stardew Valley (PC): 83:16, Mar. 17th.
Incredibly charming little Harvest Moon clone that ticks all the right boxes. All of the characters are gushing with charm, and I'm looking forward to seeing the future plans the dev has alluded to, like increasing the number of marriage candidates, or introducing new buildings like windmills for flour and sugar. Some of my major complaints about the game have already been addressed in post-release patches, such as how the marriage partners would previously lose their personalities post-marriage. Like most Harvest Moon-esque games, it gets a little repetitive in the end-game (especially if you're trying to get the Legend achievement), but it's still very addicting. As long as ConcernedApe continues to release more content, I could see myself liking this game even more than I already do. Also Abigail is best girl

16. Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut (PC): 29:58, Mar. 21st.
DX: HR still holds up well, and it's still a fantastic game. I had some issues with the PC version of the director's cut, especially in the beginning where the resolution was completely messed up, along with continual hitching issues near autosave points throughout the game. While I don't think that the Missing Link DLC completely ruins the pacing, the unavoidable loading doors are terrible, and I hope something similar doesn't end up in Mankind Divided. I also recommend listening to commentary tracks if you haven't already.

17. Sonic Generations (PC): 10:08, Mar. 25th.
Generations felt like the most enjoyable Sonic game that I've played in a long time. There are times when the modern Sonic sections feel too "on rails," much like some of the other modern Sonic games, but the level design seems better than before. The physics in the classic Sonic sections also feel a little off, though it isn't nearly as bad as in any of the Sonic 4 episodes. The soundtrack is good, and the customizable soundtrack for levels is a nice touch. Most of the boss fights are fun, especially the rival battles. I'm not a big fan of the side missions, some of the latter ones feel overly frustrating and long. The Planet Wisp levels also feel a little tedious to get through, but it doesn't hurt the experience too much.

18. F-Zero (3DS VC/SNES): 3:14, Mar. 28th.
F-Zero is a classic, and still holds up really well. The soundtrack and level variety still stand out in comparison to certain other SNES racing games, though there's a lack of variety for the racers/vehicles. It controls surprisingly well on the regular new 3DS, too. If only this franchise had a new, high quality entry and wasn't completely dead.

19. XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within (PC): 28:40, Apr. 2nd.
I don't like it as much as UFO Defense, but I do prefer it to Terror From the Deep. It feels like a modernized version of UFO Defense, but it could still be improved upon; I still haven't bought 2 yet, though from what I've seen, that game seems like it has some great improvements, especially when it comes to combat maps. The maps often felt too samey, and while combat was fun for a long time, it started to get a little dull and repetitive towards the endgame. The DLC additions seem essential to the game, honestly, some of its features and mechanics should have been included in the base game. Other than that, it's X-COM, through and through. It's still just as enjoyable to create characters and watch them grow with their own unique stories, if not more so due to the high level of customization. Some misses still feel like bullshit, and Chryssalids are still terrifying.

20. Streets of Rage (PC): 1:08, Apr. 10th.
Relatively standard beat'em up with a really good soundtrack. I still prefer 2.

21. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS): 1:27, Apr. 26th.
This, along with the Taxman port, is the definitive version of Sonic 1. I'm still not a huge fan of the original game, and it certainly shows its age when compared to 2 and 3, but it's still okay I guess. The added spin dash is cool, but it's not a big game changer. Since I've played this version before, this was the first game I played in the 3D Classics Collection that was finally localized earlier this year.

22. Pokémon Blue (3DS VC/GB): 25:06, May 3rd.
For this run, I decided to use some Pokémon I never really bothered with before. My final team ending up being Blastoise, Dragonite (traded in a Dratini from Red early on), Ninetails, Alakazam, Gengar, and Golem. I've never really used most of the trade evolutions before in gen 1. I don't really like Ninetails as much as Arcanine, and Golem wasn't really that useful. Blastoise was still great, and Alakazam is really OP. Gengar's okay, but it leads me to the other things that I really don't like about gen 1: the movesets and type distributions. The Gastly line is notable for being the only ghost type line in gen 1, and doesn't learn any STAB attacks outside of Lick, which is really weak. The Dratini line is very similar in this regard, except it lacks STAB attacks entirely. Dragonite is half flying, but it can't learn any flying type attacks in gen 1, let alone Fly itself. Dragon Rage is the only dragon type move in gen 1 and it does a flat 40 damage no matter what. Those are only a few examples of some of the worst movesets in the game. I'm glad gen 2, and later gens, fixed the moveset and type problems.

23. Pokémon Yellow (3DS VC/GBC): 45:21, May 7th.
I treated Yellow as a fun, mostly mimic gen 2 Red kind of run, using Pikachu, Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur, Snorlax, and Nidoking (decided just to use it since you can't get Espeon in gen 1). Yellow is definitely the definite gen 1 game for me, there are so many little things that make it much more enjoyable than Red and Blue. Having Pikachu follow you around is a nice little feature that I'm glad returned in HG/SS. The Pikachu's Beach minigame is a fun little timewaster, I finally played it for the first time in this re-release. Having Pikachu and Eevee as the starter Pokémon for the player character and the rival make it feel unique compared to the other games in the franchise. The character art is generally improved, with a few exceptions. The slight changes to movesets, most notably finally allowing Charizard to use Fly, are great changes. I managed to collect all 151, through trading and using the Mew cheat only to acquire Mew. Looking forward to eventually trading them all to the new games. Hopefully the gen 2 games are released on the eshop, too.

24. 3D Fantasy Zone (3DS): 1:48, May 9th.
Unlike the version on the eShop, this version of Fantasy Zone is based on the Master System port. Unless you want to see the differences between the MS and arcade versions, there's no real reason to play it, but it's still a nice hidden bonus.

25. 3D Fantasy Zone II (3DS): 2:26, May 9th.
Like the other Fantasy Zone game exclusive to the 3D classics collection, this version of the game is based on the Master System version and not the arcade version. And just like before, there are few reasons to play this version outside of playing it for historic value, or to see how different this version is compared to the better version of the game.

26. 3D Altered Beast (3DS): 0:43, May 11th.
It's Altered Beast, but with an optional 3D filter and a random power-up mode, and that's it. This is technically two playthroughs of the game, one for the regular and random modes. I would recommend avoiding this one, unless you buy the collection or have nostalgia for this, for whatever bizarre reason.

27. 3D Fantasy Zone II W (3DS): 5:54, May 11th.
This version of Fantasy Zone II is based on M2's System 16 arcade port of the game, and is better in every way when compared to the other version of the game. It looks. sounds, and plays much better, and smoother, than the MS-based game. The other version features portals that take you to other areas in the stage, while this version has one continuous level, along with a second continuous "dark world" version of the stage. The dark versions of the stages offer more of a challenge than the light versions, and proceeding through them is necessary to get the best ending. There's also a nice point banking feature that allows you to unlock some more content, and there's a bonus endless score attack mode, too. This is definitely one of the best games in the collection.

28. 3D Thunder Blade (3DS): 0:29, May 12th.
It's really short, but fun. Technically played it twice, once in the regular mode and once in a bonus unlockable mode that you get once you clear the game, but it was still rather short. Despite being one of the weaker games in the collection, it's still worth playing.

29. 3D Power Drift (3DS): 2:33, May 15th.
If there's one reason to buy the 3D Classics Collection, this is it. Power Drift is one of the best kart racers out there, and this port does it justice. Worth noting is the optional arcade cabinet mode, which makes the gameplay feel more like a roller coaster than it already is.

30. 3D Maze Walker (3DS): 1:03, May 15th.
This is a top-down maze game with a couple of power-ups. It's okay, but it really is a relic of the past.

31. 3D Puyo Puyo 2 (3DS): 3:08, May 16th.
It's hard as nails, and is frustrating at times, but it's still enjoyable. If you've ever played a puyo puyo/pop tile matching game before, you'll be familiar with how it plays, but will probably still get frustrated playing it.

32. Galaxy Force II (PC): 0:29, May 17th.
I decided to play this version before playing the 3DS port. This was also my first extended experience with the latest Genesis emulator on Steam, which is really nice. It's an improvement over the limited emulator the Genesis classics used to have on the store, and the 3D environment is a nice touch. As for the game itself, ↓

33. 3D Galaxy Force II (3DS): 0:32, May 17th.
The 3DS port, which is based on the arcade version of the game, shows off how limited the Genesis port of the game was. The Genesis version feels painfully slow and can't handle as many enemies on the screen compared to this version (partially due to this version running at 60 fps). There's an impressive gap between the two versions, too, the 3DS and arcade versions feature graphical effects that the Genesis simply couldn't handle.

34. Super Mario World (3DS VC/SNES): 8:57, May 25th.
SMW is still one of my favorite Nintendo games. One of the few things that I don't really like about this version is the lack of differences between Mario and Luigi, which is something that was altered in the GBA version.

35. Kirby's Pinball Land (3DS VC/GB): 0:52, May 26th.
I decided to play through the various Kirby games in my backlog before Planet Robobot was released, starting with this one. It's an average pinball game with a coat of Kirby paint on it. The bosses are the highlight of the game.

post two is finally here

Backlog is immense. PC is nearly built. It's my first attempt at this, and I am excited!

JANUARY
0 games completed.

FEBRUARY
[post=197085872]01: Libretta (PC) 6 hours [/post]
02: Downfall (2009) (PC) 6 hours

MARCH
03: Ridiculous Fishing (Android) 5 hours

APRIL
0 games completed.

MAY
04: Affordable Space Adventure (Wii U) 8 hours

JUNE

Birathen

Claimed. Gonna give it a try. So many games I never finished. Going to give it a go atleast.

Currently playing:

Gnomoria PC (Will consider finished when I burned out)
Xenoblade X WiiU (Done when main story is finished)
Yarn Yoshi WiiU (Done when main story is finished, started this one when it was released, never finished it. Might start over or just continue where I left off)

Finished 2016:
1. Bayonetta 2 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_hcK3_irVjPtEJB37DfS65vSiAJz_Zja
2. Fast Racing NEO https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_hcK3_irVjMyaiSVKEjvO7qYdw33PBQ-
3. Cities skyines (Over ten hours and continuing on. Amazing game, just so fun and relaxing.)

quabba

Ok, was so close in 2015, this time I'm not sure what will happen. I'm going to focus on specific games I've been meaning to play(mostly rpgs). It will definitely put me behind on the total number of games but I'm close to finishing a few titles and that might give me a head start.

Redoing my list after reading the rules.

1. Life is Strange Ep3 - 1/1/2016 - 2.5 hours

2. Mario and Luigi Paper Jam Bros - 2/1/2016 - 30hr 20min

This is a strange one as I don't know how I felt about this game, it's the first M&L game that I actually finished. It was cute and charming but I'm glad it's over.

3. Limbo - 2/1/2016
Best thing about Limbo is that it doesn't overstay on any mechanic for too long. Keeps switching it up all the way to the end.

4. Life is Strange - Ch4
I loved piecing together the clues in this one

5. Life is Strange - Ep 5

My goty 2015. There are issues with the game and it's ending, but I felt that what was there in one ending was so well done.

6. Yo-kai Watch

Neat game and world, but a few mechanics felt too random and cumbersome for me to do any post game. Looking forward to the sequel.

7. Hatoful Boyfriend

Woah, that last route tied together all the other endings and was very different to what I expected.

8. Steamworld Heist

What a cool game, really enjoyed the tactical 2D battles. It stuck in as best 3DS game of 2015.

Well that's January done, really happy with the results so far.

February

9. Until Dawn

This was fun ride. Made a poor decision attend end that made me laugh. I'd like to replay to save more cast members but not being able to skip would make it a bit of a drag.

10. Suikoden

This has aged fairly well, I can't really pinpoint why I enjoyed playing it. Something about it had me pushing forward and getting all 108.

11. Bastion

12. Trauma Centre Under the Knife

13. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

Finally beat this game!! Every time I tried to play it I would stop a few hours in and restart from the start next time. This time I played it through and finally got the dull experience.

14. Donkey Kong Country

Played this on the snes so much as a kid but don't think I ever beat it until now, on the n3ds (with save states).

Tic174

Game 1: Hacknet - 8 Hours

Sucks it was so short, wish there was more missions to do, but for the price I cant complain I had alot of fun. I enjoyed the story and was surprised how easy they managed to teach the commands. Found myself towards the end not bothering with the UI and instead using the command line.
I noticed in the notes at the end it mentions about multiplayer, guess this got cut but it would have been interesting to see how they would have pulled it off.

Game 2: Tales from the Borderlands - 11 Hours

I wasn't really impressed with the first three episodes but I really like four and five. Its difficult to talk about them due to spoilers.

Game 3: Wolfenstein: The New Order - 13 Hours

Wasn't impressed with the new order, found the story boring and the bullet sponges in the latter half of the game frustrating. I found the gun play really annoying, I hated switching weapons using the scroll, switching to weapons that I have no ammo for and it not switching to another weapon got me killed so many times. Still got to play The Old Blood but not looking forward to it now.

Game 4: Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 5 Hours

Surprisingly found it more enjoyable then The New Order. All though a few things were a bit gimmicky and I was confused as to how the story relates to The New Order (if at all).

Game 5: Downwell - 4 Hours

I suck at this game so bad, but its really addictive. I think its one of those game where I wont ever finish it but come back to it here and there for quick sessions.

Game 6: Lara Croft GO - Unknown Hours

Was amazed by this game, I don't usually buy phone games, but this was on sale so I picked it up, and it wasn't any thing like I expected. The puzzles were great, the animations were amazing. I found it hard to track how long it took me to play as id play it for a few mins here and there.

Game 7: Guitar Hero Live - 3 Hours ish

Didn't like the single player, I don't like how it drops you straight into a song, I found the people arsing around off putting, the set list sucked most of the time.
But so far I do like the multi-player (TV I think its called) I think the song selection is better so far, there's nobody in the background to put me of playing, as its music videos, the music videos also make it feel like MTV.
So not to bad, I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it and will probably keep coming back to it every once in a while.

Game 8: Crypt Of The Necro Dancer - 16 Hours

Wow, I put alot more time into this game then I thought when I first played it. Tons of re playability, I feel this is another game in which you don't really finish, but put down for a while to come back to later.

Game 9: Universe Sandbox - 1.5 Hours

Kind of a cool idea, but after a hour and a half I think I'm done. But it was nice smashing the earth into the sun :D

Game 10: Super Puzzle Platformer - 3 Hours

I bought this years ago and accidentally downloaded it, but its really addictive, I just wish there were more characters to unlock, and some of the characters are similar. I think its another game where il most likely come back to it again here and there.

Game 11: Shadowrun Returns - 7 Hours

I really tried with this game, but I just kept getting bored and after each session would leave going back to it for a few days. I didn't complete it and I don't think I will, just found it too boring.

Game 12: Superhot - 8 Hours

I guess this is where I type "It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years." Liked the game, but it left me wanting more, I have been playing the endless mode alot though.

Game 13: Risk Of Rain - 5 Hours

A nice little game, I had some problems with my game pad though, but besides that i really enjoyed myself with it.

Game 14: Lichdom: Battlemage - 1 Hours

Don't know what it was about this game but it rubbed me the wrong way, I really didn't like it.

Claiming this post for later. Based on last year, I'll be lucky to finish 25 games.

Game 1: Castlevania Lord of Shadows. About 50% done.

Game 2: Bowser's Inside Story. About 75% done.

Game 3: Puddle. Wii U. Not started.

Game 4: Ace Attorney vs Layton. 3DS. Not started.

Game 5: Yakuza of the end. Not started.

I think I'm gonna make the first two games I complete of 2016 Half Life and Half Life 2. Never played them, been a hardcore gamer for decades but never much into PC gaming. I do remember when I was 16 one of my McDonalds coworkers telling me he had this insane new game on his PC called Half Life and wanted me to come over and play it but I declined.

I have no idea what the premise is or if it's any good but I figure all the fuss over HL3 they must be good.

Dr. Buni

I think I'm gonna make the first two games I complete of 2016 Half Life and Half Life 2. Never played them, been a hardcore gamer for decades but never much into PC gaming. I do remember when I was 16 one of my McDonalds coworkers telling me he had this insane new game on his PC called Half Life and wanted me to come over and play it but I declined.

I have no idea what the premise is or if it's any good but I figure all the fuss over HL3 they must be good.
The Half Life series is on my list of 'to-play' games of the year, too. I still have to buy them, though, but fortunately they are so cheap.

I will finish the Starcraft series first, though.

Currently Playing
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PC)
Code: Realize Guardian of Rebirth (Vita)

Completed 9/52
Game 1: Jamestown (PC) - 3:10 -1/6/2016 - ★★★★☆
# Finally got around to playing this all the way through. About half my time was spent on the final level as I'm pretty trash at bullet hell games, had a blast though and love the absurd setting.

Game 2: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PC) - 69 Hours - Beat 1/11/2016 Completed 1/20/2016 - ★★★☆☆
#

Game 3: Paint it Back (PC) 28 Hours - 1/19/2016 - ★★★★☆
#

Game 4: Oxenfree (PC) - 5:29 - 1/24/2016 - ★★★★☆
#

Game 5: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (PC) - 5:51 - 1/28/2016 - ★★☆☆☆
#

Game 6: Contradiction (PC) - 6:48 - 2/3/2016 - ★★★★☆
#

Game 7: Firewatch (PC) - 4:18 - 2/10/2016 - ★★★★☆
#

Game 8: Tales from the Borderlands (PC) - 9:40 - 2/16/2016 - ★★★★☆
#

Game 9: DuckTales: Remastered (PC) - 6:33 - 2/17/2016 - ★★★☆☆
#

Game 10: Rise of the Tomb Raider (PC) - 3/8/2016 - 24:08 - ★★★★☆
#

Game 11: Momodora III - 3/13/2016 - 2:23 - ★★★☆☆
#

Game 12: Somewhere Out There - 1:44 - 3/16/2016 - ★★★☆☆
#

Link to my OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190927712&postcount=33

Decided to clear out some of the PC backlog while my brother is working off his Fallout 4 addiction (on my PS4).

MiHlcx9.png

Game 2: A Bird Story (PC)
Finished 1/1/2016
Time to complete: 1.9 hours as per Steam

After finishing this, I am now officially hyped about playing To The Moon. Although it's essentially just a 2D walking simulator, the story is very charming, and Freebird Games manages to convey very expressive emotions without the use of dialogue (just 16-bit style emoticons). Surreal as fuck, in that My Neighbor Totoro way.

yqU93r7.png

Game 3: Streets of Fury EX (PC)
Finished 1/1/2016
Time to complete: 2.4 hours as per Steam

Man, I missed Streets of Fury! I remember playing this back in the day on my friend's 360, and having so much fun with it... bought the upgraded version from Steam, worth every cent (the original is still 4.99$ on Marketplace, what the hell). Think Double Dragon, but with live actors doing the fighting animations - I know it looks poverty as fuck (it does), but the gameplay is actually super enjoyable for people who love fighting games. Dash cancels, supers, juggles, even infinites! For returning 360 players, there are a bunch of new characters they added in an update.

stuminus3

Banned
Failed spectacularly last year with 7 games beat and 270 bought so let's do this!

Gonna start with Xenoblade X and Trails of Cold Steel...

:)

septicore

I actually attempted this challenge last year but never posted it for some reason, I just kept a text file and noted every game I completed and such.

This year, I'll post my games and still keep my text file.

01: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
02: Clandestine
03: Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power
04: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
05: Undertale
06: Dark Dreams Don’t Die -Season One-
07: Victor Vran
08: Shadow Complex: Remastered
09: Contradiction
10: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls
11: Firewatch
12: Project X Zone 2