• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Kinvara

Why the hell is zuckerman the only one who is maintaining an interactive presence in the community? Where are the writers, dammit.

Bryan is working on Threadworlds.

I think Mike is writing for the Korra comics.

Studio Mir is doing an animation Guardians of the Galaxy mini series.

Aaron Ehasz was the writer for ATLA but he hasn't done much since 2011.

Trey

Why the hell is zuckerman the only one who is maintaining an interactive presence in the community? Where are the writers, dammit.

Because he's the hero we deserve. Nick reaching truly goon levels by not releasing the soundtrack.

the_legend_of_korra_by_andy_k-d5f3kzf.jpg

I thought they did good with Zuko
I mostly meant Korra characters. In ATLA most of the cast was handled pretty well.
Ok fine I'll agree on that one. He was meant to be a villain and then they handled well enough to the point where he was redeemed.
Um... Bataar Jr.?

Had plenty of screen time, made right with his family, had a happy ending.
I guess in hindsight he wasn't too bad. You left out him being an exceptional engineer. I guess I'm just a tad too hard on the show. Seems like other characters were handled better than others, but it's not as bad as I thought. I guess at some point I'll have to rewatch this thing.

Fair enough. Kuvira deserved better.
This is true. Same could be said for the Red Lotus crew. I guess I'm salty when it comes to the villains cause I like a good villain and I prefer that they get handled with respect. Hell Kuvira wasn't even really a villain until they went all heavy handed with her being a villain.

Magwik

Banned
This is true. Same could be said for the Red Lotus crew. I guess I'm salty when it comes to the villains cause I like a good villain and I prefer that they get handled with respect. Hell Kuvira wasn't even really a villain until they went all heavy handed with her being a villain.

It's a shame the only name I can remember of the 4 is Zaheer. They did have a killer theme though.

P'Li, Ghazan and Ming Hua are the other three. I was so pissed when Ming Hua was zapped, Ghazan was a bro, so wasted.

*Looks up at my avatar*

*shakes head*

EDIT: Oh, shit, wait, I forgot I don't have my P'li avatar on right now, so that makes no sense. Lmao.

But anyway, yeah, I would have loved to see more of the other three Red Lotus members. Some of the most bad-ass character designs in either series.

*Looks up at my avatar*

*shakes head*

EDIT: Oh, shit, wait, I forgot I don't have my P'li avatar on right now, so that makes no sense. Lmao.

But anyway, yeah, I would have loved to see more of the other three Red Lotus members. Some of the most bad-ass character designs in either series.
They really needed fleshing out, awesome designs though.

Any explanation that doesn't include "we ran out of time/episodes to fit that in" is nonsense.

It's been a while since I've listened to the commentary, so I've forgotten the exact wording, but he basically mentioned that they'd received feedback from fans regarding the lack of substance to the Red Lotus members and their motivations. He saw saw how some might come to the conclusion that they didn't have any real depth but ultimately felt that the Red Lotus was cool and mysterious enough that those flaws didn't bother him.

I got the impression that he felt their lack of substance contributed to their appeal.

Veelk

Banned
I got the impression that he felt their lack of substance contributed to their appeal.

*sigh* Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did think that.

That's probably why we got Kuvira, lovable hollow little ball of bitterness and rage that she is.

It's stuff like this that makes me think that the depth Ozai got was just a happy accident, them just writing a traditional badguy and happening to stumble in the right ways to distinguish him as an true sociopath. They were trying to write a generic doomsday, and the muse watching over TLA just happened to edge them in the right directions to make him something more in the most subtle ways.

I swear to god, TLA had an guardian angel watching out for it.

*sigh* Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did think that.

That's probably why we got Kuvira, lovable hollow little ball of bitterness and rage that she is.

It's stuff like this that makes me think that the depth Ozai got was just a happy accident, them just writing a traditional badguy and happening to stumble in the right ways to distinguish him as an true sociopath. They were trying to write a generic doomsday, and the muse watching over TLA just happened to edge them in the right directions to make him something more in the most subtle ways.

Best Kuvira is in the fanfics where they write her with an actual personality. They toy around with her being stoic, but also give her a dry sense of humor. It's the Kuvira we should've gotten, but not the one we got.

Veelk

Banned
Best Kuvira is in the fanfics where they write her with an actual personality. They toy around with her being stoic, but also give her a dry sense of humor. It's the Kuvira we should've gotten, but not the one we got.

Speaking of, I should probably dump my Kuvira interpretation already.

Okay, I'm giving up on organizing all this shit, so I'm just gonna dump my rewrite in broad strokes here because the only way will actually make this work the way I want it to is if I write it out as a fanfic, and I'm not gonna do that. So Imma just do a big write up now, outlining all my story ideas I had for it.

Speaking of, I should probably dump my Kuvira interpretation already.

Okay, I'm giving up on organizing all this shit, so I'm just gonna dump my rewrite in broad strokes here because the only way will actually make this work the way I want it to is if I write it out as a fanfic, and I'm not gonna do that. So Imma just do a big write up now, outlining all my story ideas I had for it.
giphy.gif

Time to brew up some coffee gaf, a massive Veelk is incoming. I'll probably read that shit on my lunch break. Why does it sound like Kuvira required the most work?

sky_blue_white_cloudslrkmm.png

Aaron Ehasz

Yeah, it struck me a while ago just how lucky we were that ATLA turned out as well as it did. Bryan and Mike are incredibly talented artists and are directly responsible for many of the things that made ATLA and the Avatar universe so compelling, but after watching Korra and sitting through the commentaries (and hearing Bryan's frequent, flimsy dismissals of legitimate criticisms of Korra's writing), it became clear to me that significant portions of ATLA's writing were likely good in spite of them. They're great idea guys, but they clearly need a strong guiding hand when it comes their storytelling.

(I don't know if Ehasz actually was that strong guiding hand, but I just posted that because I find it funny that so many people, myself included, automatically attribute ATLAs successes to him due to his absence from Legend of Korra).

sky_blue_white_cloudslrkmm.png

Aaron Ehasz

Yeah, it struck me a while ago just how lucky we were that ATLA turned out as well as it did. Bryan and Mike are incredibly talented artists and are directly responsible for many of the things that made ATLA and the Avatar universe so compelling, but after watching Korra and sitting through the commentaries (and hearing Bryan's frequent, flimsy dismissals of legitimate criticisms of Korra's writing), it became clear to me that significant portions of ATLA's writing were likely good in spite of them. They're great idea guys, but they clearly need a strong guiding hand when it comes their storytelling.

(I don't know if Ehasz actually was that strong guiding hand, but I just posted that because I find it funny that so many people, myself included, automatically attribute ATLAs successes to him due to his absence from Legend of Korra).

Even more crazy is that ATLA survived the the writer's guild strikes...and ended so strong.

Only show that has come close since has been Young Justice...RIP. :(

Veelk

Banned
So I already showed the start of Mako, Bolin, Korra, and Asami.

I've gone over the major backstories of them all too...but not Korra. And that's largely where a lot of conflicts here reside. But first, Tenzin and Lin

I wanted to have an actual sense of history behind these characters other than sheer personality caricatures. So I tried to work on the backstory of them a little bit. I will say that Bumi and Kya wouldn't play as large a role as they did in the show. Bumi wouldn't become an airbender, and Kya is just off on her own adventure elsewhere.

Tenzin and Lin, however, did shit. Growing up, they both idolized their parents, not unlike Korra does with Aang, but they could directly see them working to solve the problems of the world.

Toph returned to her family home, where she set up the first Metal Bending Academy, founding a philosophy on seeing things on the inside, which Lin and Suyin grew up on for 8 years before they moved to republic city and Toph started her metal bending police academy. Lin always saught to emulate her mother, which Toph's narcissism approved of, but Suyin improved on it. Where as Toph saw metalbending as a combatative ability, Suyin tried to capitolize on it in other ways. She'd make artistic metal figures, which she would then make a business selling. They were sold for the novelty at first, but then the skill. But Suyin wasn't attached to metalbending per se, and was happy to try a bunch of different things, making her somewhat of a renoissance woman. What kind of music could she make plucking on hundreds of wires, how do you use metal wires to help you dance, etc. And then she branched out into other that didn't involve bending. Lin's ardent dedication to metal bending as a fighting style meant Lin was the best at metal bending fighting. Suyin's eclectic taste, charm, and drive made her the exceptional at everything else. Especailly when it came to talking to people. If there was something she found that she couldn't do, she just found someone who could.

Lin wasn't socially awkward per se, but she was an introvert. She liked reading books (nonfiction mostly). She had questionable fortune of being sure what she wanted to do from a young age, unlike Suyin, who had no idea, so she just focused on honing in on becoming the best at that. She was jealous of her sister's ability to wrap seemingly the whole world around her finger, but she was mostly happy just living her life as a hard cop that went around righting wrongs, to a greater extent than even her mother did, who liked the idea of fighting more than fighting righteously.

Lastly, Tenzin was a similar child to Lin. Introverted book lover, though his interest laid more in history. Aang would one day reflect that it should have been a sign of how different he was from him when he realized he was more interested in knowing the Airbender history than the Airbender philosophies. He was a very good airbender, and he liked in a way that the history of the Airbending nation was riding on his back. He also idealized his father, but in a way, he thought of himself as more important than Aang. Aang had to ensure the survival of all nations, unbiased to his own, but Tenzin specialized in the nigh extinct air nomads. One way or another, it was going to be up to him to save his people. It would involve being a spiritual leader and a politician.

He and Lin and Suyin actually didn't meet too often until they met in Republic City in their teens. With relative autonomy, they help fight minor gang skirmishes, because at the time, Republic City was a new place while there was a learning curve to how the city should be run, organized crime couldn't really get any kind of major foothold. Why? Lets say Toph was too used to the destructive ways of stopping badguys and no one had the courage to tell her to do it otherwise for a good long while. Lin and Tenzin had been dating for years, and were talking about getting married (they were mid 20's at this point), until the major incident with Yakone started. Yakone was a waterbender of extraordinary power like in the show, but this time, Aang was away, and it was up to Tenzin and Lin to stop him. The fighting was vicious, but when they cornered him, he went into a meditative state in order to avoid being imprisoned. Lin cuffed him, but Tenzin wasn't having any of that, and he went into the meditative state to follow him. But Yakone was being empowered by an evil, nameless spirit, who granted him the power of bloodbending without the full moon. The spirit overpowered Tenzin easily. It offered him the power to muster up hurricanes and lightning under his own power, to become the avatar he could never actually be. Tenzin refused, so the spirit hurt him, and then asked again. The process would repeat itself, and eventually Tenzin started just refusing in an automated fashion than out of any true resistance. The spirit needed his consent however, so he did it over and over until Aang hadn't entered the spirit world and driven him off away from his son. It had been over two weeks, and by the time Tenzin returned to his body, his spirit had been massively flagellated. Yakone was captured and exorcised, but Tenzin was never quite himself again.

For the first few days, he was simply catatonic. Then as he regained some normal functions, he suffered from nightmares and depression and suicidal thoughts. His love for Lin whithered and died. Lin stayed by his side, wholly loyal, but even as a young person, she was a distant woman. She loved, but she loved in unsaid, unspoken ways. To her, waiting outside the door for hours is what constituted as a sign of affection. Her way of saying "I love you" was to say "Come on, I can't have you moping about forever". It wasn't that she cared, but with two introverts, saying they cared had always seemed unnecessary when they could imply it in gruff ways. But the unnamed spirit had eroded Tenzin's very soul. He would spend entire days simply sitting in a room, staring at a wall. They eventually had to hire a nurse to mind him, and that was how he met Pema. Pema was affection made physical (not like that, you gutter minded perverts...though, yes, eventually that too). Where Lin put her arm on his shoulder, she hugged him. And not just hugged him, like close friends do, but embraced him with entirely, like children, without reservation. She massaged him, she brought him food and fed him physically. She also had him do the same to her. "Sometimes, the best help you can get is helping others." Forcing Tenzin to actually physically be affectionate as well as receive affection fundamentally changed him, and it was the final shift in their relationship. Sometimes Lin liked him being overly affectionate, but mostly she preferred the old him, who wouldn't have to actually vocalize the words "I love you" but could instead imply them. She was simply more comfortable with that. And the fact that Pema was the one who had taught him to act like this simply made her feel like Tenzin was no longer hers.

When Tenzin finally got back into his airbending studies, he found he could no longer enjoy them as he once had. The spiritual aspects of airbending cut him like a knives when he reached in to use his airbending. He had to use another school of thought. Where Aang's airbending was highly connected to the freedom spirituality offered of all nations being one and not being bound to this earth by attachments, Tenzin's was based in detachment and ambitious dreams. He bent the wind on focusing on the path that the airbenders had come, through the establishing of the old airbending temples, of Sozin's massacre, the airbending revitalization, and how he is carrying the airbending nation on his very back. His freedom is freedom from history itself. The idea that for all the bullshit that the airbenders had suffered, they would rise again, some day. But the personal level of freedom, that he himself was part of the wind that carried him on the world that Aang had taught him? He never used that again.

Their breakup wasn't some dramatic event, it was the cold sudden realization where they one day both woke up and realized they weren't right for each other anymore. That spirit had killed the Tenzin she knew, and while this new Tenzin was in many ways like the old one, it wasn't the man she fell in love with. She simply didn't know what to do when he randomly woke up weeping, when he had nightmares of random shouting that something was in him. THere were nights where it was really bad, and he simply couldn't be consoled, and one of those nights he asked for Pema. Lin hated the woman, but she couldn't actually blame her for anything except being able to nurse Tenzin better than she could, with her rocky personality.

She tried dating again, but she eventually realized she was just looking for another Tenzin, and naturally every man wasn't the right fit. There were plenty she could settle down with, but that's what it would be. Settling. And she didn't want that. She had lost her soul mate, she realized, and she'd never get him back. And it hurt, having to work with him closely, occasionally. And it hurt, seeing her friends and family settling down. But she was still Lin, and Lin was a cop. Even without Tenzin, she was a force of nature on the streets, keeping Republic City safe for years on end. She grew harder as she grew older, but she was incorruptible and her city was safe. Until, one day, the 3 bending gangs were united under a single leader, and for the first time, the underworld was a match for the cops. She would determine there was a shadow leader behind them, pulling the strings, but unable to discern who it was. Until she did, the Triad would never be put down.

Next is Korra's backstory.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, I've been avoiding this because a lot of the plot hinges on Korra's backstory, but since we're getting it all out now, the way I reveal it isn't as big an issue. AND! It's got Kuvira in it.

I feel the way Korra is trained is very important to the series, much like how Aang's training was important to his journey. So while this is background context, I wanted to make all 3 teachers of Korra's bending meaningful.

One of the most important things about Korra's training is that she wasn't allowed to roam the earth like Aang was. The reason for this is that, while the world was told that Aang had passed away, the truth was that he was assassinated by the Red Lotus. With the knowledge that there was a group of people seeking the Avatar's nonexistance, Korra had to be protected. So they hid her in a fortress, though it isn't so giant so as to maintain secrecy of the location.

Korra's first element is naturally waterbending. In the show, Korra's favored element is clearly fire, but here, she loves water, even though she won't be as good at it in the future as in the past. The simple fact here is that Water for Korra is means home and family. It's her mother and father that taught her how to waterbend the first time, and she learned it up until she was 10. Katara wasn't supposed to teach her, but she was assigned to be her guardian by the White Lotus, and she just couldn't help but make herself a warm maternal figure to the budding young avatar, and if the White Lotus disliked it, they could stow it. This was one of Aang's outlines. The first element is the element of Family. Korra wasn't the best Waterbender ever. She didn't have the grace for it, though her being the avatar meant she picked it up quickly enough. But it is her most versitile element, being able to heal and do mundane tasks with it, while all other elements would be more combat oriented.

Aang's waterbending was one founded on his friendship with Katara. Thus, he advised the second element be to be taught similarly. The White Lotus wanted to just give her a normal teacher like anyone else, but Katara called in Toph, and had her bring in her real teacher. Suyin. But Suyin wasn't a conventional teacher and thought that the best lessons taught were ones through both friendship and adversary. Besides that, she was busy in Zaofu doing her own things. So instead, she went to the north pole, left Korra with her young prodigy Kuvira, and told her "Show her what I showed you". And so the great friendship-rivalry of Korra and Kuvira began.

Korra and Kuvira, being of similar personality, quickly became best friends after the first round of beating the shit out of each other passed. Kuvira wasn't so much a teacher so much a shower, and Korra mimicked her. They trained as Kuvira had been taught to train, and that is where Korra picked up her great love of the gym. Kuvira lifted weights to keep her body strength up, but a lot of it was toward maintaining flexibility. Years of waterbending training however meant Korra excelled her in this, so she focused more on sheer strength training, and grew to have a rather bulky figure. And naturally they went out on their own adventures. Kuvira wasn't always available, sometimes Suyin had to come and take her away. From there, Korra was stuck in her frigid prison, not allowed to do anything. It's only on Kuvira's presence that she was allowed to go out (as they couldn't properly train in the cold environment of the north pole) where natural earth was. Together, they competed and toppled mountains and played extreme games. Kuvira took it as a personal duty to outperform the avatar in whatever she did, and Korra took it as her lesson to surpass Kuvira. And they envied each other. Korra envied Kuvira's freedom and clear sense of purpose in the world as Suyin's prodigy. Meanwhile, Kuvira envied that Korra had loving parents. That's what Suyin was to her sometimes, but only sometimes. Just enough that Kuvira pushed herself to the absolute limit that one day, she might be invited to family dinners as the norm, and treated as part of the family. More on that in Kuvira's backstory.

For 4 years, Kuvira and Korra competed, trained, bonded, fought, and became best friends. In as much a way as a person could, Kuvira changed her life. She gave her her passion in the gym, her strive for perfectionism, and when she was the avatar, she wanted to move the world the way Kuvira did, not just in technique, but with her personality. Strong and decisive and brilliant. And Kuvira...well, no one had really ever acknowledged her anything like that before. She viewed her almost like she viewed Suyin, but without the distant reservations. Their parting as this bizarre combination of teacher/student and peer was one of the few times Suyin had ever seen Kuvira cry since the day she found her.

Lastly, Korra's final teacher....was one no one was really happy about. "The former enemy, to show that people are connected, no matter how far away they seem." This is the only one that actually recommended a specific person, and when Katara saw it, she'd have said "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME" if she could swear on nickolodean. Korra's firebending teacher was Azula.

Azula had since opened up her own dojo, and her desire to be excellent in everything had meant she drove her own students to excellence, but that didn't make her any warmer of a person. She taught Korra firebending, but was never satisfied with her. Korra did everything as Azula told her, and that was precisely the problem. "Firebending is about LIFE! You're being a puppet on strings, trying to mimic what I say instead of grabbing it with your own hands!" Korra hadn't understood what she wanted her to do. If she didn't do as Azula said, she got yelled at for doing it wrong, but if she didn't, she was yelled at for being obedient." First it made her annoyed, but she figured she'd get the hang of what Azula was getting at. Then she became panicked, at what point yelling "What do you want from me?!" Then she just became angry, during one excercise. That didn't exactly win her Azula's praise, but it was some small sense of satisfaction, as if progress was finally being made. "That was just anger. That was good. It was how I was taught as a child. But anger isn't all there is. Anger, happiness, despair, fear, pain. These and more are all things you must master in your firebending." She muttered that she herself took a while to move on from anger, so she expected Korra to take a while there too.

Azula's training was the shortest she had, officially speaking. About 11 months in, she started to learn about all the trouble that republic city was having with the new gang and the new terrorists known as equalists. It occurred to her that Aang had been the avatar, helping people, at age 12. What was she doing, at age 15, not even on her final element? She decided that she wanted to ask Azula if they could go train in republic city. "No, you have no competency of the true nature of firebending to actually do that." She still went and asked the council, who prohibited to keep her safe. Azula found out and mocked her for it. From then on, for the next month she mocked her about how she would never be the real avatar at this rate, that she was hopeless, that she might as well give up at this point and we all hope that the next avatar is worth a damn. Finally, Korra exploded, screaming at Azula that she was a vile old hag and she WAS going to be the greatest avatar, just goddamn watch! She stormed off and stole off into a boat headed for republic city that night.

Katara had joined Azula that morning for breakfast.
"Did she finally leave yet?"
"Yes." Katara looked at her distainfully. "You didn't have to be so harsh on her"
"What, and coddle you as you have? It was a trial by fire. I'm amazed she actually passed."
"Still."
"Still what? When we were younger than her, I conquered the world and you liberated it back from me. If she had actually let a harsh language break her, she really didn't have it in her then."
"Hm."
The old women ate together in an air of mutual dislike and respect, hoping the best for Korra.

And that was how Korra graduated from the White Lotus' training.

Veelk

Banned
So now we have the main plot. Like I said, I'd have wanted a structure similar to TLA, so we'd have 3 seasons and 20 episodes each. There would be 'filler' episodes, but ones that actually deepened the characters (atleast if I managed to do my job right). But the overall plot would look like this.

Book 1: Air.

I've already explained how coincidence would mostly bring the Krew together, and Amon would be the main villain. With the Triple Triad as effective as they've ever been, the nonbenders of republic city are the most discontent they've ever been, and even the normally effective Lin Bei Fong is helpless against the suddenly organized criminal organization. As a result, sympathy for a new political group, the equalists, is growing. Now, the equalists have actually existed for a while as a political rights group, but they've been largely ignored as they were viewed as somewhat extremists by the privledged benders, given that Lin kept the streets safe for the most part. But with the growing power of the Triads, they've been simultaneously more and less well regarded. The general public sympathizes with them more, but tries to point out that things are harder for EVERYONE now.

Then Korra comes in, wrecks a major Triad operation, gets noticed by asami, drags Mako and Bolin together with her, meets Amon, and now the main plot kicks into gear.

A lot of the rising tension comes from the conflict between the Triads and the Equalists, and they are fighting for fundamentally different goals, and Korra and allies are put in the awkward decision of definitely not supporting the Triad's crimes, but also definitely not supporting the equalist's extremism. They have to play a sort of wackamole game of trying to shut down individual operations (mimicking the crimes that the Gaang just solved along the way as they went along), with subtle moves of power being made along the way as the series continues, and you get bits and pieces of the backstories that I've detailed for the characters. Kuvira shows up for an episode or two as a way to maintain a distance but respectful friendship. Korra wants her in her Krew, more than she wants anyone else to be in it, but Kuvira maintains her distance, trying to work at the Triad and Equalist problem from her own end. A nice, smooth pace that ramps up and up....

Until finally we come to the midway point, that is similar to Amon crashing the probending arena. Probending is a sport that brings all people together, including nonbenders, despite that nonbenders are excluded from the game itself. It's a game of national importance to Republic City, as not only did they invent it, but they have the best choices of teams since they're the most culturally diverse city in the world and it's a game that you need a fair amount of diversity to play. And with the Avatar being a celebrity that is playing in this game, it makes it the perfect target. With the bombing, a vicious fight ensues, and Amon's mask is knocked off, to reveal the same glowing red middle eye Yakone had (I know I didn't mention this in Lin and Tenzin's write up, but roll with me here). It's the same nameless spirit that Lin faced. Tenzin has immediate flashbacks and Lin charges him with a vengeance. But he's much stronger now. He learned from their last encounter that you cannot merely choose a strong man as your vessel, but to be a symbol of change. He's powerful because he's leading people to a new tomorrow, and this knowledge has given him the abilities to destroy the avatar once and for all. The fighting takes place up on the roof, until Amon finally corners Korra. SHe fights as hard as she can, but he's gotten her. He touches her forehead and chest and suppresses her bending, leaving her a nonbender.

Here is Korra's real lowest point. She had her bending taken away, and after all her dreams of being the next avatar, she's left with nothing. And the city had seen her fall from way up high. They didn't think she had it in her anymore. It's her friends here who come to her. She expected them to abandon her. Mako wasn't a bad guy, but she knew his type. No point in sticking around with a lost opportunity. She wasn't a superhero anymore, Bolin would just pity her. And Asami...she just flat out failed her. She couldn't help her mother get justice. Tenzin himself had been broken by the spirits presence. But they all came to her anyway. They had no idea how to help, but they were there, which Korra was grateful for, but it didn't make her feel any less hopeless. They officially recieved a notice from a Triad member. It read that they had been recently less active because they hoped that Korra would solve the equalist problem. But now that she has clearly failed, the Triads would now take over. "Do not impede us" was the warning, to Lin, to Tenzin, to Korra. Then Kuvira came, and she offered her sympathies, and left. And offered nothing more than her sympathies, unlike the rest of the Krew that offered comradery in addition to that. With Kuvira, it was just pity.

Something in Korra broke there. The idea that these thugs, who had abused and would continue to abuse, the good people of the city would be the ones who stepped in and did her job for her. It was one thing for her to fail, but the idea that these people would be the ones to control the world, just because they were strong, sickened her. And that her idol sees her as some broken thing just because she lost her bending burned her with shame...well, she just couldn't sit and do nothing. It wasn't even about believing she could achieve what she wanted, she just physically could not sit and do nothing. Tenzin was composing himself, when she approached him, and she demanded to be taught.

In their training together, she avoided the spiritual stuff, focusing on physical movements and expecting to get it eventually, while Tenzin was all too happy to avoid spiritual discussions like the plague. She couldn't teach her airbending the way he taught his kids, from birth, and he couldn't teach her his method in framing airbending in the detached history of the airbenders. To teach her, he'd have to go back to his childhood, which the unnamed spirit burned away from him. He hadn't touched those aspects of his mind in years. Korra talks to him, how she has her own doubts and fears, and she needs to conquer them. That, he can do. They explore her fears, sort of like how Guru Pathik helped Aang clear his chakra's, and eventually, Korra comes out, sweeps her hand through the air around her, and a whirlwind forms around her.

From there, another series of episodes happens, but this is focused more on a singular plot between the growing operations of the Triad and the Equalists. The Krew grows closer as they go on, and the Asami-father plot is introduced, and what wasn't in the show Mako working as a double agent for the Triad to help Korra. Bolin is more of a conventional hero, like he wants to be. The final fight scene erupts as Asami and Mako and Bolin all manage the final Triad vs Equalist controntation, while Korra confronts Amon. They fight, and the spirit once again has her in the hold, ready to take away her bending once and for all, but then the true purpose of the airbender training comes out. She notices how great her fear and terror grows as he's suppressing her bending, and she detaches herself from it, unafraid of living a life as a nonbender. And in that, she raises her hand, and blasts air into his face. He tries the suppression again, but this time Korra laughs, reveling in the joy that comes with the fact that this vicious thing can't hurt her. She blasts him with fire. She holds her ground, firm in her belief in her place within this world. She is the avatar. She shifts the earth under his feet, and he tumbles into the water. How could she let this little monster make her forget her family, her friends. And with the most graceful shift in her stance, she captures him in ice.

The unnamed spirit flees, and all that is left is a man who believes in the fight for equal rights for people, that his crimes were justified under these beliefs. Again, Korra's wrestled with the issues he brings up in the more lowkey filler episodes, so the ending has her instituting changes. People saw her bend again, but more importantly, they saw her stand up and vanquish the evil spirit that has brought them to war, including the Triad, who recieved orders from their shadow leader to retreat now. Korra then ensures that the problems of that birthed this terrorism would not be brought forth again, first by ensuring more measures are taken to securing the nonbenders. Then by going after the abusers of bending: The Triad.

She turns around, and sees her friends. Mako, Bolin, Asami, and Tenzin, who have overcome their trials to help her overcome hers. She looks back and realizes how much they helped her when she thought she lost everything. She realizes that these really are her friends, as beloved to her as the Gaang was the Aang. And that's where we leave off the series for the first book.

Thoughts?

Veelk

Banned
Only show that has come close since has been Young Justice...RIP. :(

I was reminded earlier today of the theory that the series was going to have had a 40 year timeskip where they introduce Batman Beyond into it.

Batman fucking Beyond in Young Justice.

If I had won the lottery, the first thing I did would be to commission them to make YJ season 3. I think they said the cost would have been 10 million? That would have been such a drop in the bucket.

I'm only responding to the Kuvira one cause I do not have the time for the rest since I'm getting ready for work. I really like the idea of Kuvira being Korra's earth bending teacher since Kuvira was known to be a prodigy and I can easily see them two just beating the shit out of each other for their first day of "training" they're personalities are really similar so I could see Kuvira knowing the best way to train her and using their competitive natures as a way to keep challenging each other would be fun to see on screen but it wasn't.

It seems like they would be each others first friendships actually cause I do not think Kuvira has that many friends and even though Kuvira roams the world she's still just as lonely as Korra in her ice prison. Would be nice to see Korra's reactions when Kuvira isn't around. Does she get despondent? Short in temper? Same with Kuvira. It would seem like they would miss each other. Also makes me wonder what happens when they reunite for their training sessions. Does Kuvira politely bring a pre workout lunch? Does she take the session slower just to lengthen their time together? These two better have a push up contest cause you know their going to have a couple.

They're probably only at ease with each other and most likely towards the end of their training they think of each other as sisters. Though we really don't know Kuvira's original family structure, maybe she did have one already and having to be torn from Korra made her remember the pain of losing her original sister, probably made her flip out, so she probably did a lot more than cry...think how destructive Lin most likely was when Tenzin left her for Pema. This does make me wonder how Kuvira responds to Mako, Bolin and Asami. Will Kuvira get jealous of them?

It's good that you brought in the Suyin dynamic cause we know there's a lot of weirdness there. Suyin cares about her enough to take her in, but she never really treated her any differently than normal Zaofu staff. A scene with Kuvira being disgruntled during a session after witness Korra being all cozy with her parents would be good, especially if Korra winds up being her damn therapist over the whole thing instead of training. Would be interesting to see how Suyin responds to the whole thing if she finds out. Does she start to limit their time together, thus making Kuvira want to branch out and leave Zaofu even more? Kuvira turning all dark side over losing an actual human connection would actually make her character a lot more human. It's just too easy to brain storm plot with that bond.
I was reminded earlier today of the theory that the series was going to have had a 40 year timeskip where they introduce Batman Beyond into it.

Batman fucking Beyond in Young Justice.

If I had won the lottery, the first thing I did would be to commission them to make YJ season 3. I think they said the cost would have been 10 million? That would have been such a drop in the bucket.
All because "boys weren't buying our toys, but girls liked it, fuck it lets cancel this shit."

Veelk

Banned
I'm only responding to the Kuvira one cause I do not have the time for the rest since I'm getting ready for work. I really like the idea of Kuvira being Korra's earth bending teacher since Kuvira was known to be a prodigy and I can easily see them two just beating the shit out of each other for their first day of "training" they're personalities are really similar so I could see Kuvira knowing the best way to train her and using their competitive natures as a way to keep challenging each other would be fun to see on screen but it wasn't.

It seems like they would be each others first friendships actually cause I do not think Kuvira has that many friends and even though Kuvira roams the world she's still just as lonely as Korra in her ice prison. Would be nice to see Korra's reactions when Kuvira isn't around. Does she get despondent? Short in temper? Same with Kuvira. It would seem like they would miss each other. Also makes me wonder what happens when they reunite for their training sessions. Does Kuvira politely bring a pre workout lunch? Does she take the session slower just to lengthen their time together? These two better have a push up contest cause you know their going to have a couple.

They're probably only at ease with each other and most likely towards the end of their training they think of each other as sisters. Though we really don't know Kuvira's original family structure, maybe she did have one already and having to be torn from Korra made her remember the pain of losing her original sister, probably made her flip out, so she probably did a lot more than cry...think how destructive Lin most likely was when Tenzin left her for Pema. This does make me wonder how Kuvira responds to Mako, Bolin and Asami. Will Kuvira get jealous of them?

It's good that you brought in the Suyin dynamic cause we know there's a lot of weirdness there. Suyin cares about her enough to take her in, but she never really treated her any differently than normal Zaofu staff. A scene with Kuvira being disgruntled during a session after witness Korra being all cozy with her parents would be good, especially if Korra winds up being her damn therapist over the whole thing instead of training. Would be interesting to see how Suyin responds to the whole thing if she finds out. Does she start to limit their time together, thus making Kuvira want to branch out and leave Zaofu even more? Kuvira turning all dark side over losing an actual human connection would actually make her character a lot more human. It's just too easy to brain storm plot with that bond.

I'll get into Kuvira's background in a bit, but Kuvira was largely the equal figure of Korra's life. Korra was isolated the same way Aang was among her peers, where they just expected her to win at everything because she was the avatar, and she was freakishly strong on top of everything else. Kuvira was the only child her age that didn't balk at her power, wasn't intimidated that she was the avatar, and atleast could beat her ass if it was a good day. Sisters is a good word for them because they were friends and rivals all in one, and yeah, did all sorts of shit together and they missed each other, though they didn't flat out fall into depression. These two girls weren't as susceptible to that.

The only disappointment both of them had is that Kuvira had her own mission during book 1 that didn't allow her to join the Krew proper. In book 1, she just shows up here and there, but sometimes being too much like Korra was a bad thing. That's why I have her as the only one who gives Korra pity when she loses her powers. Like Korra, she believed that the point of being the avatar was strength of bending. Without it, Korra was broken. Mako and Bolin and Asami were the ones who held faith in her. But she joins the Krew proper in the hunt for the shadow leader in Book 2. You get more on Suyin there too.

Dude just write the fanfic and make sure Korvira is the official ship already, please. "Korra I beat your ass, now get the fuck up so we can go eat some pizza, my treat." By the end of book 4 make sure Suyin is Ragyou. Kuvira really would've been a great sixth ranger in this show cause I'm quite sure she'd be able to get along with everybody.

Veelk

Banned
Jaded, you just want Kovira porn. There's plenty of it out there if you want that, but I'm trying to redo all of LoK right here.

Except Unalaq. In my version, Unalaq is just Korra's overly enthusiastic uncle, like Maes Hughes is about his daughter in FMA.

You say that like there's something wrong with that. I want artful Korvira porn to be specific.
tumblr_m7vd09MmsH1rzb4a8o1_500.gif

"Look at my niece the avatar, look at her till it fucking kills you!!!"

Veelk

Banned
You say that like there's something wrong with that. I want artful Korvira porn to be specific.

Nothing wrong with it, just not what I'm doing myself.

tumblr_m7vd09MmsH1rzb4a8o1_500.gif

"Look at my niece the avatar, look at her till it fucking kills you!!!"

Yeah, like that. Except he's like that about everyone. Korra, his twins, his brother, his co-workers, his acquaintance he met 4 minutes ago.

Edit: Okay, he's more complex than that just because I don't like having flat characters period. He is a happy go lucky kind of guy generally, but he exaggerates it because he finds annoying people with it hilarious, especially his kids. He works in the Water Tribe Gov but he isn't like the chief or anything. He's really not all that relevant to the story in general, though the Red Lotus has been giving him trouble on the downlow, as the Red Lotus has infiltrator cells everywhere.

Top Bottom