• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby is the most underrated franchise ever (LttP Kirby Super Star Ultra)

upandaway

Let's take a look at the GAF best games of all times list, alright?

- No Kirby game in the top 50
- Kirby's Adventure highest at 3 votes
- Kirby Super Star at 3 votes
- Kirby Canvas Curse at 1 vote of 1 point

I recently got Kirby Super Star Ultra for the DS, and it could very well be the most underrated game ever. I consider it the best platformer on the DS and one of the best platformers ever. It's true the game has more focus on combat than other Kirby games, but it's fresh.

Kirby as a franchise is outstanding. People could bitch and complain about the lack of platformers all they want, but if they ignore Kirby they deserve a slap to the face. Animation is great, level design is fantastic, and the replay value is far higher than Mario's, especially in KSS where you could play with a partner long before Mario could do it.

Trivia: Sakurai made Kirby when he was 19. What did you make when you were 19?

selig

Banned
Strangely enough, I keep playing almost every new Kirby-game...and time after time again I ask myself: Why?

Kirby-games are the most senseless games I´ve encountered in all my gaming life. Enemies arent hard to beat, you cannot fall to death because Kirby can fly, and consequently, this ruins any possibility for challenging level environments. And tbh, the visual style also keeps depressing me...no idea why, though.

Why do I play these games? Argh...

Gravijah

It's really really really really really really hard to call Kirby "underrated"... Damn, do I love me that long-lost-Jigglypuff-evolution.

Einbroch

Banned
It's got the Sonic Syndrome.

Older games were amazing and considered by some to be the best games of all time. Then focus shifted from 2D platformer to 3D spin-offs and bullshit.

Oh sure, there are some great DS games featuring both, but nothing to cry "THE RETURN OF SONIC/KIRBY".

Personally, I think this game is ridiculously overrated. Sure, there's a lot of stuff in it, but it's still elementary-school easy, and that keeps it from being anywhere near a great platformer in my book no matter how much content is in there.

Kirby Canvass Curse on the other hand... well, that needs a sequel (but won't get one).

upandaway

Gravijah said:
It's really really really really really really hard to call Kirby "underrated"... Damn, do I love me that long-lost-Jigglypuff-evolution.
Even when it's so well known and loved, no one ever mentions it at the time it most needs the praise. It's like it's under everyone's radar.

Also anyone complaining about the difficulty of the games did not play the Gameboy game's extra mode or whatever that was.

Edit: Dammit I need to go. Don't argue with yourselves too hard

Gravijah

Einbroch said:
It's got the Sonic Syndrome.

Older games were amazing and considered by some to be the best games of all time. Then focus shifted from 2D platformer to 3D spin-offs and bullshit.

Oh sure, there are some great DS games featuring both, but nothing to cry "THE RETURN OF SONIC/KIRBY".

... Are you fucking crazy?

nightez

Banned
The first time I ever played Kirby was during lunch time on a friend's Gameboy (the one with a monochrome green and black screen), back at primary school. Only played 30 mins but it was awesome. Many years later I played Kirby64, didn't like it as much. Wish I had a Gameboy to play the original one. Fond memories.

OMG Aero

Tell me about it, I never played the original Superstar, but having played almost every other Kirby game I picked up Ultra when it was released and I absolutely loved it. To this date Kirby 64 is one of my favourite N64 games and has what I consider to be one of the best final bosses ever.
It makes me sad that Kirby Wii is probably cancelled.

tenritsu

Banned
Gravijah said:
... Are you fucking crazy?
Seriously, I am with Garvijah.

Kirby 64 is a fantastic game and despite alot of bad press Kirby Air Ride has a super dedicated fanbase and to this day remains one of my Top 10 Gamecube games.

Not to mention, Kirby's recent stuff like Canvas Curse and the Superstar remake were awesome.

EDIT: And of course it goes without saying that Kirby's Adventure on NES and Kirby Superstar on SNES are two of the best platformers of all time.

Gravijah

Einbroch said:
Curious...how?

Kirby now has retarded spinoffs like Air Ride and Squeak Squad.

They need to pull a Project Needlemouse for Kirby.

How on earth is Squeak Squad a spinoff? It's another 2D kirby game. Same as all the others.

Edit: Einbroch, you compared it to SONIC. SONIC!!!

upandaway said:
Even when it's so well known and loved, no one ever mentions it at the time it most needs the praise. It's like it's under everyone's radar.

Also anyone complaining about the difficulty of the games did not play the Gameboy game's extra mode or whatever that was.

Edit: Dammit I need to go. Don't argue with yourselves too hard
No, even Extra Mode isn't hard. That brings it up to "average difficulty". And it's never hit that height again.

OMG Aero

Einbroch said:
Curious...how?

Air Ride was a one off (And a pretty fun one at that) but Squeak Squad is a proper 2D Kirby game.
That's like saying Sonic Rush is a spin off.

ismaboof

Einbroch said:
Curious...how?

1. We don't even know if Needlemouse will be any good (Sonic Cycle in effect).
2. Squeak Squad was an awesome game. What the hell?

nightez

Banned
tenritsu said:
Seriously, I am with Garvijah.

Kirby 64 is a fantastic game and despite alot of bad press Kirby Air Ride has a super dedicated fanbase and to this day remains one of my Top 10 Gamecube games.

Not to mention, Kirby's recent stuff like Canvas Curse and the Superstar remake were awesome.
Kirby 64 has no challenge at all. Its too difficult to die. A game can't be interesting if its not really testing.

Llyranor

Squeak Squad was pretty average, but Superstar Ultra was awesome awesome. All Kirby classic platformers should have optional co-op; makes it so much more fun.

Canvas Curse is my favorite DS game, so yeah.

Gravijah

nightez said:
Kirby 64 has no challenge at all. Its too difficult to die. A game can't be interesting if its not really testing.

That, imo, is wrong. Not everyone is looking for challenge in a game. Not every game NEEDS to be challenging.

ZAK

It might not be right to call Kirby a "platformer." He can fly, for fuck's sake! The main challenge, I would say, is finding/collecting all the extra crap. Platforming is only challenging on the rare occasion that some kind of extra restriction is placed on you, and you usually place it on yourself voluntarily in order to collect some extra crap. Some of the bosses can be hard, especially the extra-last ones, which you get to by getting all the extra crap.

That aside, it's almost more like a beat-'em-up. You kill a bunch of guys with a wide array of powers. It's the variety that keeps it going.

Final exhibit is KATAM. KSS used to be my favorite, but then I played it way too many times. KATAM's exploration and treasure hunting was great. Too bad they haven't followed it up at all.

iammeiam

SirSwirl said:
The Kirby games are pretty awesome and underrated.

I still say Canvas Curse is the best platformer on the DS.

Canvas Curse is definitely one of the best DS games--That game was really the defining moment of (at least my) early DS ownership. One of the first games that was fun because of the touchscreen, and was well-realized enough to seem like a 'full' game.

I'll always wonder what the sales would have been like if CC hit after the DS started selling like mad. I still want a sequel.

farnham

Banned
i dont think the series is underrated at all.. kirbys Dreamland 1 and 2 on the GB were top games on the system and kirbys canvas curse is probably the best use of the touchscreen ever.. and kirbys fun pak on the snes was also one of the best game on the system..

Gravijah said:
That, imo, is wrong. Not everyone is looking for challenge in a game. Not every game NEEDS to be challenging.
Normally I'd agree, but Kirby is so un-challenging it just seems pointless. The Underground whatever mode in Superstar where you had to find the treasures is probably the only time I've actually had any kind of fun with "traditional" Kirby. I really don't know why I keep buying them every time.

tenritsu

Banned
BobJustBob said:
Kirby Air Ride is the most underrated game of all time.
I am so with you.

It got horrible reviews, did not sell well, and yet it stands the test of time for me and I find myself going back to it over and over. I love it.

Air Ride's City Trial was the DEFINING multiplayer experience for me last generation alongside Halo 2 and Smash Bros. Melee.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Canvas Curse was a fantastic game, still one of the best uses of the sylus IMO. Could be good with the Wiimote too. I really wish it was a full spinoff series.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I prefer Kirby's Adventure over Kirby Super Star, but to each his own. I don't think Kirby games are at all underrated; it's a B rate franchise.

The main problem I have with Kirby games is they are both short and easy (getting 100% is the only time when you run into any difficulties) yet they are no cheaper than any other games (and tend to stay at high value*) which makes them hard justification on my wallet (some of them may be good quality but when you can buy other good quality games that last longer...). All that said Kirby's Dreamland was the first game I beat (though most the second-hand Kirby games I've received the save files on them tell me they're far from complete).

*-Though for some reason despite Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush being of high value Blockbuster sell it used for 2 for £18 (good luck finding a copy though).

I liked him better when he wasn't pink.

603710.jpg

There also used to be a great commercial for the game that had him up against "Dashing Superguy," kind of the spiritual predecessor to Dudebro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU6cHCkWqy8

There was a good Kirby pinball game on the GB too.

I remember being blown away by the first Kirby back in the NES days. For it's time, Kirby had tons of interesting movement, and it was a technical marvel for the NES. But the franchise barely evolved after that. Nintendo kept making sequel with almost nothing new. Every time I try a new Kirby I get bored after a few levels because it's the same stuff over and over.

Canva's Curse was awesome though.

Wizpig

Einbroch said:
Curious...how?

Because Kirby has this

Canvascursebox.jpg

A revolutionary, fantastic platform that came out in the period when you say Kirby already was like Sonic.

and Squeak Squad is not a spin-off.

In the UK at least I think it's just a lack of awareness, I've never seen a single Kirby game in any store nor any advertising. Heck, most of my friends had no idea who Kirby was in the Smash Bros games.

I've been trying to track down copies of Kirby Power Paintbrush and Kirby Air Ride for two years now and not even come close. On eBay genuine UK copies of Power Paintbrush are hardly ever listed and Kirby Air Ride sells for £30+ due to it's rarity, so the chances of the average consumer finding them is slim to nil.

farnham

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, it's lovable b rate. canvas curse is easily the high point. really needs to be another one.
Kirby is no b rated franchise

its one of Nintendos Top character driven franchises.. In Japan Kirby titles are constant million sellers..

The Hermit

Segata Sanshiro said:
Personally, I think this game is ridiculously overrated. Sure, there's a lot of stuff in it, but it's still elementary-school easy, and that keeps it from being anywhere near a great platformer in my book no matter how much content is in there.

Kirby Canvass Curse on the other hand... well, that needs a sequel (but won't get one).

The OP nailed the franchise but missed the game... Canvas Curse is the best and most underrated platformer in the DS.

The only thing underrated about Kirby was the ability in Kirby 64 to combine two powers to create a new one. That was awesome and they should have continued to use it in future Kirby games.

WillyFive

Einbroch said:
Curious...how?

The thing is, Kirby's spin-offs are good games. Unlike Sonic.

nightez said:
A game can't be interesting if its not really testing.

What? Since when?

Top Bottom