• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby is the most underrated franchise ever (LttP Kirby Super Star Ultra)

upandaway said:
The golf one? I beat it on VC. I loved it but after failing hard at the outset I gave up on 1-hole shotting the courses.

I love it mainly because of that moment where you think for an hour and then you go 'eh fuck it' and you end up with an insane chain that ends in a hole in one. There were a lot of tricky stuff like getting an ability, using it, getting another ability then using it like 5 times in the same shot, in order to get a hole in one.

I never got those great moments because I can't get pass the first world... :lol

GCX

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Has HAL made anything since Sakurai left? I'd totally buy Kirby Wii if it came out.
They've done lots of handheld stuff like Kirby Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, Super Star Ultra, Pokemon Ranger 1 & 2 and Picross 3D. But yeah, Kirby Wii has turned into Duke Nukem Forever.

Alphahawk

Wait this thread is based on Kirby Superstar Ultra? I take issue with that. That game was so ridiculously easy it was not fun. I beat most every game in there in one or two sittings. The only exception was the last one where I just gave up on the game and sold it before I got a chance to beat it.

The RPG boss was cool though...

upandaway

Alphahawk said:
Wait this thread is based on Kirby Superstar Ultra? I take issue with that. That game was so ridiculously easy it was not fun. I beat most every game in there in one or two sittings. The only exception was the last one where I just gave up on the game and sold it before I got a chance to beat it.

Difficulty doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother you guys. I'm having so much fun with the game I don't care that it's not an intense experience.

Sciz

Alphahawk said:

Ultra's hardest bits (i.e. where you gave up) are probably the hardest the series has ever been. I'd hate to hear what you think about the rest of them.

GCX said:
They've done lots of handheld stuff like Kirby Canvas Curse, Squeak Squad, Super Star Ultra, Pokemon Ranger 1 & 2 and Picross 3D. But yeah, Kirby Wii has turned into Duke Nukem Forever.

Correction, Creatures and HAL did Ranger 1, then Creatures sent solo for Ranger 2, I don't know about Ranger 3 though.

I've played all mainline Kirby games (and Air Ride, have to play Tilt 'n Tumble which I rented once years ago, don't plan to play the other spinoffs)

The best are:
Superstar/Ultra
The Amazing Mirror
Canvas Curse
Adventure/Knightmare in Dreamland

Everyone needs to play these.

Darkatomz

Kirby is easily one of my favorite Nintendo characters, lots of childhood memories go back to the pink puffball. It's really a shame that we haven't seen anything new from him (it?). Hell, when WAS the newest Kirby game (remakes aside)??

Kirby Superstar is probably one of my most forgotten favorite games.

Kirby's Adventure = best NES game

Gimme a new 2D Kirby for Wii, Nintendo. Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Only without such an uninteresting artstyle.

Out of curiosity, how many of you got up early in the morning to watch the Kirby Anime? I know quite a few Kirby fans do that. Too bad the show's no longer airing.

Is Kirby the most underrated franchise EVER? No, not by a mile. It's underrated to a certain point, but there are other overlooked franchises that don't have a big name like Nintendo's Kirby attached to it.

Kirby Super Star (and I guess Ultra, by extension) and Canvas Curse remain the best games in the series, with 64 coming up 3rd.

I just wish that a Kirby game with some real difficulty came around. It's the same problem that plagues TOSE Company's Starfy games: they have the framework of well designed games, but then they add mechanics to make the game easier.

Bentendo

The only worthwhile Kirby game that deserves to be in the top 50 Canvas Curse. Superstar MAYBE in the top 100. Canvas Curse was just such a fantastic game. Fun gameplay, fun music, fun graphics, fun everything! :D

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Cow Mengde said:
Out of curiosity, how many of you got up early in the morning to watch the Kirby Anime? I know quite a few Kirby fans do that. Too bad the show's no longer airing.

*raises hand*

I used to watch that show all the time, I would always watch it only to see which power up Kirby would turn into at the end. :D

I agree OP.

...But, would I be butchered as a junior who enjoyed Kirby 64? (I've heard many Kirby fans hated it, but I could be wrong.)

Galactic Quail said:
I agree OP.

...But, would I be butchered as a junior who enjoyed Kirby 64? (I've heard many Kirby fans hated it, but I could be wrong.)

I love it. Truly underrated game along with Kirby 3. Mixing powers was so much fun. The powers are pretty inventive too.

tenritsu said:
I am so with you.

It got horrible reviews, did not sell well, and yet it stands the test of time for me and I find myself going back to it over and over. I love it.

Air Ride's City Trial was the DEFINING multiplayer experience for me last generation alongside Halo 2 and Smash Bros. Melee.

This is so true. I played that mode for month's with my friends. I never even touched the other modes in that game, just because City Trial was such great fun. I would love a full sequel that focuses only on this mode. It's a perfect fit for the Wii.

Jazzem

I still remember playing a friend's copy of Kirby's Dream Land back in primary school :) Quite liked it. Have since gotten the game, and it's a real classic. Music, visuals, gameplay, all so good!

The first Kirby I properly got into was Nightmare in Dreamland on GBA. I didn't know it was a remake at first, but I went on to really enjoy that game, playing through it again on hard mode and then as Meta Knight.

Since then, I've played a few more games in the series, with my favourites being Superstar, Nightmare in Dreamland and Dream Course. Very fun series, and I don't really have a problem with the easy difficulty. Heck, I actually find they can be pretty tricky in places, especially regarding bosses.

OMG Aero

Cow Mengde said:
I always wanted to see it but it wasn't aired here. I managed to find a website that translated the Japanese episodes so I watched them but they stopped at around episode 60 so I never got to see how it ended.

Most Kirby games are good and no Kirby is not underrated. Nothing by Nintendo is underrated. Nintendo gets the benefit of the doubt more than blizzard or valve and that's crazy.

Alex

They're fun in a simple bubblegum kind of way. None of the design in the series is that strong and they're all too amazingly easy for the kind of fun I look forward to in good platformers.

Kirby Super Star is still one of the best co-op experiences to date.

As a big co-op hound, I say meh.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
If Kirby Wii ever comes out it'll get the Excitebots treatment of being released 3 weeks after being confirmed/'announced'

Segata Sanshiro said:
Personally, I think this game is ridiculously overrated. Sure, there's a lot of stuff in it, but it's still elementary-school easy, and that keeps it from being anywhere near a great platformer in my book no matter how much content is in there.

Yeah. AKA Duck Tales syndrome.

Mr. B Natural said:
Most Kirby games are good and no Kirby is not underrated. Nothing by Nintendo is underrated. Nintendo gets the benefit of the doubt more than blizzard or valve and that's crazy.

Valve, perhaps, but Blizzard? Not in a million years.

Cow Mengde said:
I love it. Truly underrated game along with Kirby 3. Mixing powers was so much fun. The powers are pretty inventive too.

And here you are harshing on Flagship.

D-Pad

upandaway said:
The golf one? I beat it on VC. I loved it but after failing hard at the outset I gave up on 1-hole shotting the courses.

I love it mainly because of that moment where you think for an hour and then you go 'eh fuck it' and you end up with an insane chain that ends in a hole in one. There were a lot of tricky stuff like getting an ability, using it, getting another ability then using it like 5 times in the same shot, in order to get a hole in one.

Oh man, I loved pulling that stuff off. My sister and I would just go crazy in the stages and would just always end up flying over the edge of the stage.:lol

I've liked the Kirby series ever since I got the first game for Game Boy back in late 1993, when I got my GB... sure, the games are easy, but they're really good, fun games that I really liked. I'm putting them in the order that I played the games.

Kirby's Dream Land -- As I said, I got this in late 1993, with Super Mario Land, as my first GB games. I beat it quickly (on the normal mode), but had a lot of fun and replayed it, played it on the much more difficult Hard Mode, and more. The main issues were just with how short it was. Of course it Kirby can't get powers from enemies in this game, but it was the first game in the series, so they hadn't come up with everything yet... it's a great game anyway.

Kirby's Pinball Land -- Awesome game! This is one of the best pinball games ever made, and one of my most-played games for the original Game Boy. It's just an exceptional game... great designs, lots of stuff to do and find, and the Kirby theme fits really well. It was also awesome that you could actually beat the game by beating all three bosses and then DeDeDe. it would then just loop around so you could keep improving your score, but that was a great feature -- I like being able to actually beat games! This game has great balance and design all around.

Kirby's Dream Land 2 -- Got this after it came out. I absolutely loved this game... just an amazing, amazing game. It's got something more to do after you win (collecting the crystal things), there's a hidden final boss fight that is really awesome, and more. The game also has cool Super Game Boy enhancements, but it's awesome on the original B&W GB too. KDL2 is one of my favorite platformers ever.

Kirby's Block Ball -- I remember being a little disappointed at the time, but it is actually an interesting and somewhat innovative Breakout clone, and I did beat it 100% eventually -- which wasn't that easy, I remember some of the borderlines being tough to meet, but was rewarding. The fact that you can have paddles on all four sides of the screen at the same time is a pretty cool feature. I think the Kirby elements like powerups and enemies and such are underused, which is part of what disappointed me -- it's a good Breakout/Arkanoid game, but not a great Kirby game -- but the good definitely outweighs the bad. Fans of this kind of game should definitely play this.

Kirby 64 -- Now this one really disappointed me. On the one hand, the main gameplay is really easy and slow paced. I disliked the slow pace especially, for some reason the game just feels glacially slow a lot of the time. I also hated the controls, why in the world does it force you to use the d-pad? It'd have been so much better with the analog stick! I'd played Goemon's Great Adventure and seen how nice it was to have analog controls in 2.5d platformers, Kirby 64 was a big step back in comparison... GGA is just a far better game than Kirby 64. Oh yeah, and though the main game is easy, the "collect all the shards in order to get the final boss" part is really frustrating and difficult. You often have to get powers in other levels and then be really careful to not lose them as you try to go through some other level where you need to use it... without using a guide to learn what to do it's a massive pain. There are several crystals in every single level, too, so it's a real hassle. On the good side though, the 100 Yard Hop minigame was awesome, I played hours of that in multiplayer... that and the block-drop minigame were great. And the game is actually fun, with good graphics and sound, some fun levels, and a lot to do. I just thought that it should have been better.

Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble -- Good game! It's short and not hard at all, even when you include the second quest (after you beat it you then can go through it again in a harder difficulty mode), and the tilt element is sort of gimmickey (the game would be much easier with dpad controls for sure), but I thought it was an interesting gimmick, and really liked this game overall. It's different and fun. Of course now we have a lot more tilt-sensitive games out there, for the Wii, iPhone, etc, but back then there had only been a few... and it's still a neat feature, really. If only there had been a bit more content it'd have been even better. Oh yeah, and it'd have been nice to see a bit more boss variety, you fight different versions of the same guy at the end of pretty much every level. Still, overall the game was good and I liked it.

Kirby's Air Ride -- Another huge disappointment. I'd been looking forward to Kirby Bowl/Kirby's Air Ride ever since the original annoucement of the first version in 1995, so it was a horrible disappointment to see how badly HAL messed it up when a version was finally released. I mean, the core game is pretty good. The one button control scheme probably wasn't a good idea, but it works well enough for the game to be playable (though brake and use item really should not be on the same button). There are three modes, all interesting and different. The tracks are really well designed, interesting tracks that are fun to play on. The game mechanics are solid. I love the top-down mode, it's just awesome fun... :) So that sounds great, right? What happened? Well, what happened is that they left out any real single player mode. This game only has single race or multiplayer, and in single race you just race agaqinst three computers that you set the difficulty levels of. There's no progression, no champsionships, no nothing... just single races as you try to get things on those stupid boards that you also get things on in multiplayer. There is really NO SINGLE PLAYER GAME HERE! What the heck? Did Super Smash Bros. make HAL completely forget how to make a single player game or something? Even that (also heavily multiplayer focused) game had a semblance of a single player mode though, so this is even worse off! It's just multiplayer versus either humans or computers. There is still stuff to unlock, mostly in the form of new vehicles and such, but the method you use to unlock them is so horribly annoying that it's no fun... I mean, you have to get boxes on those charts, but you can only see the charts in the main menu so you either have to just hope that you get stuff or memorize specific things you want to try to do. Why can't you see the charts ingame, get specific missions, or something? Because that'd actually be giving the game some single player gameplay, and they really didn't want that? Maybe if it had online play and such they could get away with such a stupid idea, but in a non-online game, it was absolutely unacceptably lacking in any reason to ever pick the game up when you weren't with others.

Kirby's Dream Course -- Fantastic game! This game is hard, but it's really, really good. I managed to struggle through it, eventually, though it definitely took a lot of trying, and I didn't get anywhere near a good score in any of the later levels. Still, I did finish the game, and that was a definite accomplishment... and yeah, it's a great game. It's got classic Kirby graphics and sound, but with unique and interesting gameplay that requires a lot of thought and strategy. I don't like golf at all, but minigolf is fun, and this feels like minigolf, Kirby style... just great stuff!

Kirby's Adventure (NES ver.) -- Another exceptional game. I don't like it as much as Kirby 2, probably partially for nostalgia reasons, but playing this I can definitely see why so many people love it... and yeah, it's one of my favorite NES games now too. Amazing graphics for the system, a NES platformer with actual battery backup (perhaps the only such one!), a reasonable challenge level in the later stages, some interesting temporary powers, great levels and bossfights, a bunch of minigames to try, and more... this defintiely should be a must-play for any Kirby fan. I've played just a little of the GBA remake, but it's probably about as good... the original NES version definitely is awesome stuff, though.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 -- I have this, but the battery doesn't work so I haven't played it that much. From what I did play though, it feels kind of like Kirby 64 in that it feels slower than the 8-bit Kirby platformers, for some reason. I mean, it looks good and plays well, but somehow it just doesn't feel the same... still, it definitely looks fun enough that I want to play through it sometime.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror -- Another one that I have, but haven't played much of. I don't have as good an excuse here though, except that I have the Japanese version so there's a little bit of a language barrier (it was in a local store for some reason and was really cheap...), but that isn't too bad and what I've played of the game is pretty fun. I can see how the issue of having to get a power from one place to another would be as much or even more of a pain here than it is in Kirby 64, though, and that definitely would get frustrating... but what I did play of it seemed good.

I don't have the other games. I've never played much of Star Stacker. As for Super Star, I played a little of it (seemed good), but not a lot... I mean to get that for SNES or DS sometime. I know it's probably the popular favorite in the series. I also really want Canvass Curse, but it's hard to find and pricey, so I never have picked it up, sadly. I do kind of think of Kirby as a series that was best earlier on in the series, but in the late '90s and beyond faded some, with games like Kirby 64 and Air Ride... and then Kirby Gamecube/Wii never has materialized, so we're still waiting for the next major title, if they're ever going to finish it. Still things like the GBA remake of Kirby's Adventure, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, and Canvass Curse and Super Star Ultra are pretty good games, so the handheld titles at least have maintained good quality. The series started on handhelds of course, so that's important.

Kirby 64 and Kirby Super Star are constantly in my SNES and N64. Its been far too long for a proper new Kirby game, particularly the Kirby game that never came out for GC. We need a new home console Kirby.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
nightez said:
Kirby 64 has no challenge at all. Its too difficult to die. A game can't be interesting if its not really testing.
No, Kirby 64 is just to slow. Make Kirby two times faster and you would of made the game a hell of a lot more fun.

Edit: Oh, Kirby Wii yadda yadda this year yadda yadda to be best platformer ever ect.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Drkirby said:
No, Kirby 64 is just to slow. Make Kirby two times faster and you would of made the game a hell of a lot more fun.

Edit: Oh, Kirby Wii yadda yadda this year yadda yadda to be best platformer ever ect.
That was probably my main problem with 64. He was so sluggish in that game. I still rank 64 as my third favorite game behind Nightmare in Dreamland and Super Star (Ultra).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jangaroo said:
That was probably my main problem with 64. He was so sluggish in that game. I still rank 64 as my third favorite game behind Nightmare in Dreamland and Super Star (Ultra).
I would place several of the spin offs higher, but its a good kirby platformer.

Dreamland 3 could also be made better with a faster kirby. Really, if someone made a simple rom hack to make kirby 1.5x-2x faster, it would make the game so much more enjoyable. Kirby is best as a fast action based platformer, not with a slow and slugish kirby.

I have to give Squeak Squad a replay. I haven't played it since it came out, since at the time I felt it had no replay value. I can play Adventure and Nightmare in dreamland a good 5 or 10 straight double 100% play thoughs before wanting a change of pace. I couldn't stand to make it though my second playthough of Squeak Squad. Don't even have all 3 of the save at 100% :/

As I said in my longer post above, I 100% agree with the criticism that KDL3 and Kirby 64 are far too slow. I agree, a 50-100% movement speed increase for Kirby would do both games a lot of good... I have other issues with Kirby 64 too, most importantly the fact that they removed unlimited flight, which is one of the stupidest things you could possibly do to a supposed Kirby game, but the slow speed sure didn't help matters (Oh, one other issue I didn't get to were the minibosses -- they were kind of lame and a bunch of them don't even move... oh, and of the three minigames, the other two were great, but the collect-the-falling-stuff one wasn't that good. Oh well.).

It's funny, none of the other Kirby games feel so slow, but those two somehow just seem glacial...

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Drkirby said:
I have to give Squeak Squad a replay. I haven't played it since it came out, since at the time I felt it had no replay value. I can play Adventure and Nightmare in dreamland a good 5 or 10 straight double 100% play thoughs before wanting a change of pace. I couldn't stand to make it though my second playthough of Squeak Squad. Don't even have all 3 of the save at 100% :/
Squeak Squad was just average. I thought it was kind of cool how you could mix certain elements with your sword, and I really liked the magician hat power, but it was pretty uninspired for the most part. It didn't help that the game was even shorter than the usual norm for the series; I remember beating it 100% in two sittings in under five hours. The game definitely has little replay value, it's not just you. Uninspired bosses, mediocre level design, and no awesome extras like Metaknight mode. And I can't believe I forgot to mention Canvas Curse. What a fantastic game.

Mael

Okay GaF this is the last time you do this to me!
I'm gonna check Dream land 3 on VC....
Damn Dream Land 2 was so awesome (funny story is that the game probably never came out in Europe, I mean I got it from a regular Walmart place and the age restriction thingy is the same as the american one...I don't remember if I got an english manual though....That would have been a dead giveaway though I was probably 10 at the time:lol )

Oh and comparing Sonic to Kirby?:lol
Kirby was never as popular as sonic... and never sunk as low too.
just got ffvii on the psn, the french psn gives you the original french version! YES the version with the most horrendous translation ever. yes worse than Zero Wing

ZAK

Squeak Squad was ridiculously easy, even for a Kirby game. At the same time, it has some strange appeal I can't explain. It really drew me in and held my interest while I was playing it.

By the way, in that game, I believe you can duck to prevent yourself from losing your power when you get hit. So yeah, whoever is complaining that they "added" that stupid "one hit lose power" thing doesn't know what they're talking about.

Mael

ZAK said:
Squeak Squad was ridiculously easy, even for a Kirby game. At the same time, it has some strange appeal I can't explain. It really drew me in and held my interest while I was playing it.

By the way, in that game, I believe you can duck to prevent yourself from losing your power when you get hit. So yeah, whoever is complaining that they "added" that stupid "one hit lose power" thing doesn't know what they're talking about.

Huh?
I thought it was like that since Kirby Adventure?
Heck I was surprised that you didn't lose your power in SSB the first time I played it.

Top Bottom