• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jan. 18 - 24, 2010

gkryhewy

wrowa said:
Anyway, what's the chance that Capcom is going to release a "Monster Hunter 3: Wii Speak Edition" in Japan?

I thought japanese gamers generally preferred not to speak to one another during online play?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You see this
# Capcom has managed to ship another 30k copies of Bionic Commando (they're good at this).
# More 50k for MH3 (1.15 million total).
And are most shocked by this?
schuelma said:
Wait, Capcom convinced retailers to stock ANOTHER 50K of MH Tri? WTF?

Road said:
450k total for MHP2G in the West.

While a trifle compared to the Japanese numbers, that's not too bad and bodes well for MH3. A stronger platform + more western friendly multiplayer approach + Nintendo co-marketing should yield a decent growth for the franchise outside the Japanese market.

donny2112

Baki said:
@donny112: Why dont you think the PSP 2 will be able to pull off comparable numbers for a launch? I mean the PSP in its prime was outselling the DS and the PSP looks to end with a comparable LTD to the GBA in Japan.

The PSP was/is outselling the DS well past the DS's prime. Don't try to use "it's beating the DS" as a reasoning. :p Also, it will end up with hardware like the GBA (with a much longer lifespan than the GBA) but not total software like the GBA.

As for my reasoning, the PSP has not sold for the majority of its lifespan as a general UMD-playing device. As such, I have a hard time seeing a launch with MHP3 (that will pretty much have to be also playable on PSP1s, too, or it won't be a launch title), pushing PS2 or GBA launch numbers for the system.

PS2 was coming off the extremely successful PS1.
GBA was coming off the extremely successful GB/GBC.

PSP is not extremely successful. You might be able to construct an argument that it's at least been a "success" for Sony in Japan (which is a huge improvement from 2007), but it's not coming off anywhere near as high a pedigree as PS2 and GBA were. As such, I don't see a reason to expect launch sales equal to what the PS2 and GBA launched at.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Iwata gives some more tips about DS and Wii successors

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/02/iwata_on_ds_and_wii_hd/

During a Q&A session at a recent investors meeting, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata was asked about Nintendo's upcoming hardware plans. Iwata's response was simply that Nintendo has R&D divisions for both portable and console hardware and these divisions are of course conducting research into subsequent hardware. However, he said that he would not speak about what kind of product Nintendo will be releasing next.

As part of his response to this question, Iwata also chose to clarify recent reports about a high definition DS that appeared in the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

In early January, Asahi reported Iwata as having stating that a DS followup system would need to have high resolution image support and a system in place for detecting player motions. This, according to Iwata, is not actually what he said.

According to Iwata, the reporter conducting the interview asked "The next DS will need to have high resolution graphics and include a motion sensor, wouldn't you say?" Iwata's response was, "Those are naturally considered requirements. However, do you believe it will sell with just this?"

The paper apparently skipped out on printing the last part of Iwata's statement, something that Iwata feels changed the meaning a bit.

During the investors Q&A session, Iwata was also asked a question about Wii HD -- specifically, a Wii that will support HD televisions. Iwata denied having ever spoken of a Wii HD, and said that he's wondering where the information came from

Said Iwata on the updated Wii: "If asked if making the Wii compatible with high definition -- just making it compatible with high resolution -- will get players throughout the world to buy it, I would of course say, 'Do you think it would sell with just that? Let's put something new in it."

Iwata finished up his response about new hardware with: "If there were no rival makers in the world, I'd could give examples of the things that we are considering. However, for competitive reasons, I cannot give specifics today on the what or when of the things we're considering."
:lol

Xbox 360 2009 Top30

01. Star Ocean 4 (Namco Bandai) - 208.521
02. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 123.817
03. Ace Combat 6 (Platinum Collection) (Namco Bandai) - 89.300 / 131.180
04. Bayonetta (Sega) - 87.639
05. Beautiful Katamari (Platinum Collection) (Namco Bandai) - 74.166 / 115.658
06. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (Square-Enix) - 72.858
07. Gears of War 2 (Microsoft) - 67.153
08. Dream Club (D3 Publisher) - 58.092
09. Magna Charta 2 (Namco Bandai) - 56.739
10. Street Fighter IV (Capcom) - 52.937
11. Halo 3:ODST (Microsoft) - 44.610
12. Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai) - 43.235 / 204.305
13. Steins;Gate (5pb) - 40.487
14. Left 4 Dead 2 (EA) - 38.652
15. Forza Motorsport 3 (Microsoft) - 38.580
16. Tekken 6 (Namco Bandai) - 37.653
17. Halo Wars (Microsoft) - 36.519
18. Assassin's Creed II (Ubisoft) - 36.050
19. BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 32.874
20. Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Empires (Koei) - 32.811
21. Left 4 Dead (EA) - 30.493
22. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Namco Bandai) - 29.102 / 64.090
23. Death Smiles (Cave) - 27.630
24. Mass Effect (Microsoft) - 27.397
25. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (The Best) (Square-Enix) - 27.191
26. Halo 3 (Platinum Collection) (Microsoft) - 25.508
27. Chaos Head Noa (5pb) - 24.362
28. Last Renmant (Square-Enix) - 19.882 / 154.493
29. Mushihimesama Futari Ver.1.5 (Cave) - 18.431
30. Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 (Konami) - 16.991

Xbox Live Arcade 2009 Top10 (no numbers)

01. Virtual On ver. 5.66 (Sega)
02. Battlefield 1943 (EA)
03. Castle Crashers (The Behemoth)
04. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Capcom)
05. Trials HD (Microsoft)
06. R-Type Dimensions (Microsoft)
07. Shadow Complex (Microsoft)
08. Ikaruga (Treasure)
09. The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (SNK Playmore)
10. Megaman 9 (Capcom)

Xbox 360 Game on Demand Top10 (no numbers)

01. Earth Defense Force 2017 (D3 Publisher)
02. Idolmaster (Namco Bandai)
03. Idolmaster Live for You! (Namco Bandai)
04. Bullet Witch (AQ Interactive)
05. Raiden Fighters Aces (Success)
06. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)
07. Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena (Sega)
08. Armored Core: For Answers (From Software)
09. Tenchu Senran (From Software)
10. Senko no Ronde Rev.X (G.rev)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Final Fantasy III had stock problems but were nothing in front of Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Famitsu).

[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 501.701 / 501.701
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 52.223 / 553.924
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 52.747 / 606.671
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 66.280 / 672.951
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 58.739 / 731.690
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 40.235 / 771.925
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 26.525 / 798.450
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 18.171 / 816.621
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 11.064 / 827.685
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 10.554 / 838.239
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 12.105 / 850.344
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 10.146 / 860.490
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 7.804 / 868.294
[NDS] Final Fantasy III (Square Enix) - 7.742 / 876.036

[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 633.084 / 633.084
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 247.558 / 880.642
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 47.689 / 928.331
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 11.249 / 939.580
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 96.496 / 1.036.076
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 58.116 / 1.094.192
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 8.774 / 1.102.966
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 43.987 / 1.146.953
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 39.419 / 1.186.372
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 31.169 / 1.217.541
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 30.215 / 1.247.756
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 19.646 / 1.267.402
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 20.912 / 1.288.314
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 17.329 / 1.305.643
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 11.395 / 1.317.038
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 8.849 / 1.325.887
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 8.263 / 1.334.150
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 10.000 / 1.344.000
[NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix) - 13.000 / 1.357.408

wrowa

I wonder how many units of Joker could have been sold without the stock problems. And I wonder even more why it sold so much better than the previous Monster games. SE promoted it with a passion, eh?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
wrowa said:
I wonder how many units of Joker could have been sold without the stock problems. And I wonder even more why it sold so much better than the previous Monster games. SE promoted it with a passion, eh?
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland (Enix) - / 2.350.000
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters II: Ruka's/Iru's Journey (Enix) - / 1.570.000

wrowa

Chris1964 said:
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland (Enix) - / 2.350.000
[NGB] Dragon Quest Monsters II: Ruka's/Iru's Journey (Enix) - / 1.570.000
Okay, I thought the previous games sold on line with the GBA one. Then the real question should be: why the heck sold the GBA game so poorly?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
wrowa said:
Okay, I thought the previous games sold on line with the GBA one. Then the real question should be: why the heck sold the GBA game so poorly?
GBA was strong, but very weaker software-wise from GB and DS.

Jeels

The PSP was/is outselling the DS well past the DS's prime.

How is outselling it in the middle of the DS's lifetime well past its prime? Seriously now.

PSP is not extremely successful.

Do you know what the hand held gaming market was like before the PSP?

I think, on the subject of the MP3P, and where it would go if both Nintendo and Sony were releasing new handhelds this year, it really depends on what Nintendo can bring to the table.

Let's take a couple of assumptions. A PSP 2 would include enough hardware to be backwards compatible with PSP software, even if it drops the UMD. It may even be able to run PSP software slightly better (framerate mostly). Let's assume that a new Nintendo handheld (based on the Tegra 2 rumor) would play DS and DSI software, but new development would target a new API that's more similar to the Wii's.

Both are capable platform, and both should be at least as capable as the Wii - the platform that MH3 premiered on. The PSP2 gets the legacy advantage, and the DS2 gets the API advantage.

Capcom wants to recreate MHP's success into the West. Assuming that Capcom would think that the DS's success in the West would continue into a new iteration, I think the DS2 has the advantage there.

Moneyhats! Sony has been known to moneyhat. Especially concerning new pushes. The latest run of games on the PSP being an example. I could see them doing quite a bit to keep the handheld version of the franchise on Sony hardware. Nintendo isn't known for their moneyhats, but when they happen, they tend to be quite epic. Betrayalton is usually whispered on this board when it happens. PSP2 probably has the advantage here.

Lastly, there's a possibility that Capcom might reach for the best of both worlds. If both systems are capable of taking a fairly straight port from the console version, they could release it for both next generation handhelds, and let the users sort it out.

Jeels

Chris1964 said:
What was like?

Let's look at the sales of non Nintendo hardware.

N-Gage 3 million
Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color 2 million
Tapwave Zodiac less than 200,000 units
Gizmodo 25,000
GP2X 60,000
Sega Game Gear 11,000,000
Sega Nomad 1,000,000
Turbo Express 1,500,000

It was not an easy market to crack...

Gameboy 69,400,000
GBA 37,700,000
GBA SP 43,020,000
GB Micro 2,500,000
NDS 18,820,000
NDS Lite 45,970,000

So, if we're saying the aim of the PSP was to completely crush Nintendo's presence in the handheld space and make them go third party :)lol because some people still think that's going to happen), then the PSP was utter failure, but if the goal was having a respectable, well selling handheld that has a presence in the industry and has a variety of titles and a following, then the PSP is def. a winner.

PSP 51,260,000

Spiegel

bmf said:
Lastly, there's a possibility that Capcom might reach for the best of both worlds. If both systems are capable of taking a fairly straight port from the console version, they could release it for both next generation handhelds, and let the users sort it out.

That's what I'm expecting.

But first, they'll release MHP3 on PSP.

Cipherr

Jeels said:
How is outselling it in the middle of the DS's lifetime well past its prime? Seriously now.

Am I understanding what you are trying to say correctly? Since when does prime automatically equate to the absolute center of the lifespan? Doesn't it instead refer to something when it is at its peak? As far as I know products can crest an different times during their life, not just the dead center. And because of that, he is absolutely right. PSP hasnt ever gone anywhere near DS's prime. Not to mention the fact that your comparison is hinged on hardware health only and not the other side of the equation.

Oxx

Did I read somewhere that Square Enix were releasing cheaper versions of DQIV/DQV/DQIX around this time?

Jeels

Chris1964 said:
What you should say is:

Do you know what the non-Nintendo hand held gaming market was like before the PSP?

It's the market in general, one company was doing well, everyone else was floundering. Now one company is doing REALLY well, and another company is doing just fine.

Am I understanding what you are trying to say correctly? Since when does prime automatically equate to the absolute center of the lifespan? Doesn't it instead refer to something when it is at its peak? As far as I know products can crest an different times during their life, not just the dead center. And because of that, he is absolutely right. PSP hasnt ever gone anywhere near DS's prime. Not to mention the fact that your comparison is hinged on hardware health only and not the other side of the equation.

Sorry then, I wasn't thinking it terms of comparing in terms of highest peaks, I was thinking generally, "past its prime", as in, the console is dead, done with, etc. Not just in a "trough" so to speak as they'd say in high school economics.

Spiegel said:
That's what I'm expecting.

But first, they'll release MHP3 on PSP.
I think a PSP release is almost inevitable, but when is a different question to me altogether. I can see pretty good reasoning for before, simultaneous, and after.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Jeels said:
It's the market in general, one company was doing well, everyone else was floundering. Now one company is doing REALLY well, and another company is doing just fine.
Now one company is doing AMAZINGLY well, and another company is doing really well only in Japan, everyone else it is floundering.

[Nintex]

Chris1964 said:
What you should say is:

Do you know what the non-Nintendo hand held gaming market was like before the PSP?
Come to think of it, if Sony hadn't release the PSP Nintendo would've just released an N64 like Game Boy. They wouldn't have rushed the DS to market and Nintendogs and other projects would've launched as GameCube titles with no effect on the gaming industry.

[Nintex] said:
Come to think of it, if Sony hadn't release the PSP Nintendo would've just released an N64 like Game Boy. They wouldn't have rushed the DS to market and Nintendogs and other projects would've launched as GameCube titles with no effect on the gaming industry.
So we congratulate Sony for making Nintendo step up their handheld game in ways never before seen?

Jeels

[Nintex] said:

And if there was no DS, there'd be no way for them to test their "blue ocean" strategy for the Wii, and maybe it wouldn't have been such a "gamble" after all. I wonder what the industry would be like.

[Nintex]

bmf said:
So we congratulate Sony for making Nintendo step up their handheld game in ways never before seen?
Yes, I think Sony creeping into Game Boy territory was the wake-up call for the sleeping giant. I remember Ken Kutaragi was pretty sure he'd destroy Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market. All the plans that Iwata proposed were carried out quickly because of the threat and no one at Nintendo wanted to take over his job when the GameCube sunk into oblivion.

The Nintendo that I know would never show an early prototype of a new system at E3 and throw everything they have in their offices on the show floor. At E3 2004, Nintendo and friends had about a dozen tech demo's for the DS that were never developed into actual products.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Yes, I think Sony creeping into Game Boy territory was the wake-up call for the sleeping giant. I remember Ken Kutaragi was pretty sure he'd destroy Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market. All the plans that Iwata proposed were carried out quickly because of the threat and no one at Nintendo wanted to take over his job when the GameCube sunk into oblivion.

The Nintendo that I know would never show an early prototype of a new system at E3 and throw everything they have in their offices on the show floor. At E3 2004, Nintendo and friends had about a dozen tech demo's for the DS that were never developed into actual products.

Sadly, I have to say. The submarine demo is great.

Oxx said:
Did I read somewhere that Square Enix were releasing cheaper versions of DQIV/DQV/DQIX around this time?

I don't know if you read that somewhere, but it is a thing that is happening, yes.

KingDizzi

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
They're dropping support on the DS?

Why?

You gotta get with da times blud, he means there showing good support to a system which is doing very well. Suprised MW2 aint doing too well Japan, bad people getting shanked should be popular me and my bredrins love it.

So about that God Eater, what are people expecting for it to do? Will go out on a limb and say 400k first week, SO4 however will struggle past 100k. If past trends are anything to go by we should see psp-4000 this year, releasing with MHP3 seems plausable.

Shiggy

Man God said:
Maybe all the DS silence means they are co-developing with Nintendo!

Zelda RPG! :lol

The last time a team, which was not EAD, developed a Zelda title, it went terribly wrong - at least in Nintendo's opinion.

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
The last time a team, which was not EAD, developed a Zelda title, it went terribly wrong - at least in Nintendo's opinion.
To be fair almost every Zelda development 'goes wrong' at some point. Iwata even joked about that during the latest Iwata Asks about Zelda. Still it's a shame that we never got a Zelda developed outside Japan.

Top Bottom