• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

If this is a legit leak, then the leaker won't stay a developer for very long. At least not an employed one. :)

Although that would also mean another thing, that should finally put an end to those threads about dev/studio x not knowing anything about NX.
Namely, that devs/studios DO have devkits/prototypes already. ;D

If I understood the post you're quoting correctly, though, they do not believe this is legit. (Also, at this point I'd be astonished if NX dev kits aren't with devs, if any form of the system is coming out this year.)

Galava

The only games where having the Wii U controller was a positive thing was Zelda. For the rest it was completly unnessesary and I used the pro controller.

You are talking about WiiU, which isn't exactly a "win" for Nintendo. Just look at the 3DS, I just can't fathom many 3DS games on other platforms, it just wouldn't work.

You are talking about WiiU, which isn't exactly a "win" for Nintendo. Just look at the 3DS, I just can't fathom many 3DS games on other platforms, it just wouldn't work.

I disabled the 3d effect but the dualscreen ok thats a problem. But they started to release DS games on virtual console for Wii U.

Xtars

tfw this is the console itself and all you connect to the tv is a stream-box.

i.e a fully portable console expereince and when you come home you can activate stream mode and use it as a 2 screen console when the actual console just is your controller.

Guys, we don't need to use Photoshop forensic evidence, patent applications, inside sources or anything other than common sense to know it is fake. Just look at the shape of the screen. What game developer or console maker is going to make an oval shaped screen for a game? It makes no sense. Plus, the outer edges are effectively useless if there are virtually invisible haptic buttons.

Nintendo.
It doesn't matter if it's fake or not, but I expect it will be something like this. They want to make something new and a 3DS or Vita clone will not be it.

Oersted

It looks EXACTLY like a nintendo patent that has an oval screen, which is why a lot of calling fake because it looks too closely like that pattern.
Also sharp has a new freeform screen technology that is apparently licensed to nintendo. This was known since 2014 and was first seen as something for their by then newly announced QoL products.

I can actually see the freeform display implemented on the console, sort of like LG G5. Shows you notifications, if devices are connected etc without having to turn on the console on. Would be neat.

Nintendo.
It doesn't matter if it's fake or not, but I expect it will be something like this. They want to make something new and a 3DS or Vita clone will not be it.

Nintendo is not a good replacement for a point.

Vazduh

If true I don't have a problem with it.

It looks COOL FUNKY AND UNIQUE

WHEN will your FAVES ?

Slaytendo about to kill everyone else in the game.

Perched for the reveal tears

ftr0Xpz.gif

xBeUsPz.gif

The_Lump

Banned
Thank you for your thoughts. I think I agree. I forgot that was a tech patent only and not a design patent. That info should really be in the OP.

Yup. The patent with that exact shape (plus hand grips) was a non-limited patent for several elements of the controller, non of which were about the design or shape of the thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So why exactly do they need their own console when all we care about is their games? Third party Nintendo would be a win-win situation for us.

No it wouldn't. That would mean buying a Sony or MS system and for a Nintendo soldier that is a fate worse than death.

sphinx

the piano man
normally, rumor threads that reach this number of posts have some substance to it...like, there's a decent chance it may be real.

this.. however, look as fake as the Nintendo On helmet.

why has gaf been talking about it for over 2300 posts??? Honest question, I feel like I am missing something.

is the source one of those recent proved leakers?? please help me here gaf.

Nintendo is not a good replacement for a point.

Well I knew it was a rhetorical question but it deserved an answer.

Yup. The patent with that exact shape (plus hand grips) was a non-limited patent for several elements of the controller, non of which were about the design or shape of the thing.

It was a non limiting patent but a lot of text went into it being eliptical shape and the reasons for it and why the bottom screen edge would be flat. It listed alternatives such as a track shape with semicircular ends and one where the straight edge was on the top of the ellipse instead of the bottom.

normally, rumor threads that reach this number of posts have some substance to it...like, there's a decent chance it may be real.

why has gaf been talking about it for over 2300 posts??? Honest question, I feel like I am missing something.

I think the most damning thing about this being a fake at this point is that the original post is still around... Nintendo ninjas should have eaten this up to hell and back by now if it was real.

If I understood the post you're quoting correctly, though, they do not believe this is legit. (Also, at this point I'd be astonished if NX dev kits aren't with devs, if any form of the system is coming out this year.)
I don't think it's legit myself, so we're on the same team. ^^

Just wanted to highlight that such a "vocal" person leaking a thing that is this confidential, and also talking about being a dev and whatnot, has to be one of the most insane things you can actually do as a dev working with unannounced hardware under heavy NDA.

And yes, common sense alone is enough for anyone to expect devkits already being in developer hands, 3rd party devs no less ... 1st / 2nd obviously. :)

Oersted

The Nintendo NX survey thread went huge. I think at this point you could slap Nintendo NX on a brickstone and people would discuss it in serious fashion.

ergonomically, economically, just nomically, this is a mess. It's probably gonna bring the cost of the system up (if TRUE, which I hope this is fake).

I'll eat my hat if there's anything genuine about that. Just seems like a whole lot of bullshit. Somebody out there is having a laugh at our expense.

And yes, common sense alone is enough for anyone to expect devkits already being in developer hands, 3rd party devs no less ... 1st / 2nd obviously. :)

How long do you think it takes to develop games? Third parties have, and probably have had access to dev kits for a long while now. Unless the Wii U really isn't releasing til mid to late 2017.

How long do you think it takes to develop games? Third parties have, and probably have had access to dev kits for a long while now. Unless the Wii U really isn't releasing til mid to late 2017.
Uhm, yeah? I didn't state anything else. My post was targeted to those rabid people in threads like the Rebellion-NX one, who are jumping to the conclusion that one dev without devkit = all 3rds without devkit, etc.

Also, Wii U?

What I like the most about this , it shows how desperately the video games world wants some innovation!

I still think the wii u gamepad was innovative in its time, but its the games that really make it work!

I really don't want JUST another conventional pad I get this from my PS4 I want to be surprised!

thank god for Nintendo!

Stike

i.e a fully portable console expereince and when you come home you can activate stream mode and use it as a 2 screen console when the actual console just is your controller.
Now that's an innovation I'd welcome

Koji knight

its got nothing to do with how long it takes to make games! 1st and 2nd party games have been virtually finalized now for months! on NX .

I can tell you that now!

Galava

The guy who did post the pictures is saying this:

"Yes to laugh, but we doubt that this is the new Nintendo (despite the end of black sellotape to hide the brand or other)."

Doesnt he believe his own posted picture? i dont understand.

You can read for yourself.

https://www.reddit.com/user/Idriss2Dev

Sounds like he can't remove the tape to see the logo without being discovered (¿?¿?¿?) so he just speculates. (Supposing this is real)

Galava

Why do people think the first NX to be released is the home-console? It's not. The handheld will come first, WiiU still has Zelda U to be released.

robo2000

Neo Member
Sounds like he can't remove the tape to see the logo without being discovered (¿?¿?¿?) so he just speculates. (Supposing this is real)

Yeah i guess, but this sounds to me like a joke that has gotten out of hand with all the replies on every major website.

Yukinari

If it is anything like this all I can say is.. NX better have a pro controller that works with every game.

The Pro Controller has such amazing battery life that it should be the standard controller compatible with every Nintendo game that doesnt require a gamepad.

The guy who did post the pictures is saying this:

"Yes to laugh, but we doubt that this is the new Nintendo (despite the end of black sellotape to hide the brand or other)."

Doesnt he believe his own posted picture? i dont understand.

You can read for yourself.

https://www.reddit.com/user/Idriss2Dev

I think it's just a joke about how the tape covering what brand it is isn't going to fool anyone. And English is not his native language, seems like French is from 'Scotchent'. hmm

In a world of increasing homogenization among mobile technologies, Nintendo is choosing once more to double down on hardware gimmicks?

Yeah, this is either a well done fake (very likely) or a company that has no vision off a path to success.

Yeah, because the increased homogenization in the mobile space is working out for everyone.

Spoiler: Trying to make their version of the iPhone works for literally no company other than Samsung (and of course Apple).

vanty

Why do people think the first NX to be released is the home-console? It's not. The handheld will come first, WiiU still has Zelda U to be released.

They've revealed a lot more 3DS games than Wii U games, and there's almost no chance of Zelda Wii U not being another Twilight Princess situation at this point.

Dascu

My two cents: Fake or not, it looks like what I expect it to look like, based on the patent images. I think having a full screen controller, with some extra analog nubs and more advanced scroll/shoulder buttons, is a nice approach. You've got the accessibility of a smartphone screen with a scaleable and flexible control set-up and orientation, ability to display dynamic HUD elements or do other neat little gimmicks. I don't think it takes that much away from the traditional controller, most of it would be good additions. It's like a mixture betwen the GamePad and the Wiimote, with the look of a smartphone.

I think it's just a joke about how the tape covering what brand it is isn't going to fool anyone. And English is not his native language, seems like French is from 'Scotchent'. hmm

The English mistakes and the name (Idriss) definitely make me think he is French.

And that would point towards Ubisoft.

maxcriden

Don't expect any such feel, since Nintendo long ago debunked a hybrid.

eXistor

Honestly it might just be real. My gut reaction is, "ugly as fuck" but I'm very open to it and I won't pass real judgment until I have it in my hands and played some games with it. I've done this too many times and ended up eating crow. If it's fake then it's fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom