• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Survey: would you sell back your digital games at 10% of purchase price?

Blobbers

Microsoft are priming everyone for the all digital future. Sure, now it seems it's better than nothing, but when 10% is the only option, suddenly it's not that hot of a deal.

Don't let Microsoft set this precedent, shoot for at least 40%, so when Sony jumps on the train, they can't go much lower either.

gamz

Microsoft are priming everyone for the all digital future. Sure, now it seems it's better than nothing, but when 10% is the only option, suddenly it's not that hot of a deal.

Don't let Microsoft set this precedent, shoot for at least 40%, so when Sony jumps on the train, they can't go much lower either.

LOL!

-MB-

so they are investing and then raking in profit.

wow....

Yes on the longterm they hope this attracts new customers who think its a unique selling point of the service, big whoop. But they are not profitign directly from giving u 10% for digital licenses u don't want anymore.

Chastten

Banned
I wouldn't mind selling some ancient games that are worth jack shit at that price, but otherwise it's insulting.

Stuff like Viva Pinata and Halo 3 go for peanuts even in retail so for those titles it'd be a nice way of making some money back.

Rembrandt

Banned

People said we wouldn't get any deals on XBL either when they were bracing digital, but we got those.

Also we're going digital eventually; the percentage of digital sales keep rising. They don't have to allow trade ins ever. Does Steam allow trade ins?

10% would be an okay fee for transferring your software license to some other user account, e.g. end-user A sells a digital game to end-user B and the platform holder takes a 10% cut of said transaction.
That would be okay. Not with supervision, in that case I'd prefer an online secondhand marketplace. But a 10% fee on what you paid originally to transfer your license to someone else. I would accept that.

10%?

Haha.

Microsoft is gonna Microsoft.

All hail, Phil Spencer!

None of your existing shit is going to work on the new iterative XBOX platform.

We're already tight on development resources, so there's no fucking way we're giving you backwards compatibility.

To make this bitter pill easier to swallow, we're going to give you back 10 cents on the dollar for those soon to be broken worthless games you already paid full price for.

Your collection won't work on the new XBOX platform, so something is better than nothing, right? Doesn't this sound like a great deal guys? ... Guys?

xrnzaaas

Lol. You can usually sell a retail game for 80-85% of its price in the first month after its release and for about 50% of its price after 3-4 months. Naturally some games tend to drop on price really quick (like Ubisoft games), others hold their original prices for very long (like GTA V). Still, I never sold even a very old game for less than 20-25% of its starting price. If I knew it would have to drop lower to find someone interested in buying I just kept it. I realize that it's not the same with digital, because you can't sell them at all right now, but I simply try to avoid bad purchases and I buy short/uncertain games as retail ones so I won't waste my money if I don't like the game.

Peterpan

Read the last few pages before you comment 'haha 10%'. I know I will be ignored, but I hope some do, so we can get actual discussion moving the topic forward and not retread.

Salty Hippo

50% the first year of purchase, 10% less each year until it reaches finally 10%, then why not.

Do people even think for 5 seconds before posting this stuff? You do realize that a lot of games drop their price to 20 bucks within the first year, right?

Anyone wanting 50% back without giving Microsoft anything at all are lunatics. You can actually steal money from them doing that. Buy at 60, wait for it to drop to 20, "sell" back for 30, buy a new copy for 20. It's stupid.

Quoting Phil Spencer from the future, it's just a matter of time.

There's another thing that is just a matter of time. Wait for it.

TheYanger

I love all of the people thinking anyone is going to give you 50% of a game's value for a digital product after you've played it. They might as well just make new games 30 bucks if they were going to do something that nuts. Comparing to Gamestop is pointless - a digital good literally has no value to them to buy it back off of you. Gamestop buys your games because they then resell it to some other schmo (and I realize everyone here knows that), so they don't graciously give you 30 bucks, they resell your game for 50 bucks and then charge you a 20 dollar brokerage fee in advance realistically. It's literal apples and oranges.

Would I resell many games for 10%? No. I don't do it for physical goods anyway, but unless you trade physical games in QUICKLY they lose value at a pretty shocking rate too, so it's not like they're all that much better, and nobody is forcing you to do it. So simply answering the questionnaire as "No, that doesn't seemw orth it" seems about all that needs to happen here.

If it happened, you could just not do it and be in the same position as every other digital storefront. Or if you decide 'hey, I could use 6 bucks' you could trade some game in you absolutely loathed or whatever, that's up to you.

10% isn't bad for an old game. Something sitting in my catalog. But probably not for a game I just bought.
Yeah, it says 10% off the price you paid, seems like they're trying to keep it simple rather than create a formula for now value should deteriorate over time. 10% for a game that just came out is insulting, but for a game you bought a year ago, aren't playing, and is now $20 new it might be different.

I mean it's still ridiculously low but I doubt they'd go much higher with just a flat percentage.

The 10% figure isn't making me more likely to buy digital and I can understand that the 30% figure isn't realistic for MS, what I don't understand is how MS had never considered this before committing so wholeheartedly to an always on-line console with a digital store being so prominent.

Haunted

I don't even know if I'd consider this to be better than nothing. With nothing, at least I don't feel like a fool getting taken advantage of.

Rembrandt

Banned
The 10% figure isn't making me more likely to buy digital and I can understand that the 30% figure isn't realistic for MS, what I don't understand is how MS had never considered this before committing so wholeheartedly to an always on-line console with a digital store being so prominent.

they most likely did, but the plans most likely drastically changed once it stopped requiring the once a day check in (different from always online).

nib95

Banned
10%? Lol. Come on now... At least double that if not more. Just have a dynamic system similar to retail games, that changes depending on how new or old the title is.

Sjefen

I buy games on digital sales and never at full price, so 10% is only 1$ to 4$ money back for me. That is so little I rather keep the games. 20-30% would be better, but I rather they lower the price for digital games.

Rembrandt

Banned
10%? Lol. Come on now... At least double that if not more. Just have a dynamic system similar to retail games, that changes depending on how new or old the title is.

They get a 30% cut and this 10% is coming from that. How would you deal with this?

I'd like more, sure. But if down the line I had some old digital titles that I didn't play anymore then I'd take 10%. Better than zip.

Maybe it's been clarified already, but is it 10% of the release, purchased or current price?

If the digital game was sold on 50% of msrp and you get 10% of the msrp upon selling.. Debatable..
Paying a digital game 60 euros and selling it for 6 is insulting..
That's what you get for allows Gamestop to do apply a similar de-valuation on physical game..
Clearly the digital de-valuation is even steeper..

My answer? No

gamz

If the digital game was sold on 50% of msrp and you get 10% of the msrp upon selling.. Debatable..
Paying a digital game 60 euros and selling it for 6 is insulting..
That's what you get for allows Gamestop to do apply a similar de-valuation on physical game..
Clearly the digital de-valuation is even steeper..

My answer? No

What do others offer? What does the companies in which you buy digital media offer?

BahamutPT

José Mourinho;198712831 said:
Maybe it's been clarified already, but is it 10% of the release, purchased or current price?

The survey image in the OP clearly shows it's "purchase price". And that is the only "fair" way to implement this, to be honest.

I see only positives here, even if it's "just" 10%... Don't really understand the problem with most users.
Digital is not retail. Microsoft has absolutely no need to implement something like this, even if Xbox were to go full digital-only. So, as it stands, it's a win for consumers, whatever you may think about the %.

Upinsmoke

If your never gonna play that digital game again and there's no alternative to gift it or something then I suppose 10 percent is better than nothing. I know i've bought a few digital games that i'll never touch again and as things stand there not even on my hard drive. So i guess if i had a few games and got 10 percent for them i'd be able to put that value in my virtual wallet towards another game. It's better than nothing i suppose, at least better than the current format (if you really aren't gonna touch/re-download them ever again)

They get a 30% cut and this 10% is coming from that. How would you deal with this?
Simple, allow me to gift my license game and work outside the radar?
I'm gonna sell it for how much i want when i want..
I buy an house? I sell an house..
Car? Same
Pc components? Same
Pc used to be the same, Now it's not with digital (but at least the price of games is usually in the 30 eur range easily..)
Console games used to be the same, Now they are trying to under mine it via season pass in the box//content unlocked via dlc codes inside the game box..

And Now they want to coax us into going full digital and give us an illusionary cash back option for pittance, while payi FULL PRICE for the digital game (legion you can get for 25.. Over watch original for 35.. That's Why pc digital thrives, competitive pricing)..

But people will say it's fine, just like it was fine with the very first dlc (horse armor..) and boy that sure went a long way..

Digital on console should be tradable with a minimal fee (3 eur or like that), end of story..
Anything less is just sugarcoating the Gamestop pills applying it to th digital realm..

Phyla

The amount of thoughtless drive-by posts is pretty depressing.

Collecting digital games doesn't please me the way displaying physical games do, so I'll gladly get rid of games of which I have no intend of playing again. Free money for games collecting digital dust? I'm in!

What do others offer? What does the companies in which you buy digital media offer?
Do you hear me defending other companies?
In the console world digital costs as much as physical, so "locking" stuff like steam or gog do, it's a travesty

nib95

Banned

But newer digital games tend to sell for more anyway, so I suppose by virtue percentages may be aligned. I suppose the only way they could negotiate a higher percentage is if they could get the Publisher to agree to give back a certain percentage too, on the proviso that these digital resale funds could be used towards purchasing more (new) digital games, perhaps more than the buyer would ordinarily invest in as a result of the trade in value.

gamz

Do you hear me defending other companies?
In the console world digital costs as much as physical, so "locking" stuff like steam or gog do, it's a travesty

So you don't agree with at least MS offering something where other's don't.... Okay....

IvanJ

Banned
What do you resell digital games for?

I resell digital games for about 50-75% of purchase price, depending on its popularity.
Just last week I broke even on FC Primal, took advantage of an error on the Canadian store and bought it for $60 (€40), and after 3 weeks and a 100% completion sold it for €40.

Rembrandt

Banned
Simple, allow me to gift my license game and work outside the radar?

steam doesn't even allow you to gift games you've already played.

I buy an house? I sell an house..
Car? Same
Pc components? Same

physical items. you can still trade in or sell your physical titles.

Pc used to be the same, Now it's not with digital (but at least the price of games is usually in the 30 eur range easily..)
Console games used to be the same, Now they are trying to under mine it via season pass in the box//content unlocked via dlc codes inside the game box..

They're still the same. You can still trade your physical console games like you've always been able to.

And Now they want to coax us into going full digital and give us an illusionary cash back option for pittance, while payi FULL PRICE for the digital game (legion you can get for 25.. Over watch original for 35.. That's Why pc digital thrives, competitive pricing)..

But people will say it's fine, just like it was fine with the very first dlc (horse armor..) and boy that sure went a long way..

Digital on console should be tradable with a minimal fee (3 eur or like that), end of story..
Anything less is just sugarcoating the Gamestop pills applying it to th digital realm..

While consoles sales haven't reached PC in terms of how cheap they get so fast, they do get cheap if you're willing to wait 1-3 months. DLC is great, imo, and some devs cutting content should be a reflection on them, not DLC itself.

I mean, MS gets a 30% cut so they have to base it around that. I look at this more as more of them being pro-consumer for digital buyers. i don't think this itself is supposed to be the buying point, but more of a bullet point since people are buying more digital games anyways. if people are doing it without their being any way to get money for the titles, i'm not upset at them for allowing me to get some money.

also maybe those steam sales come from PC being full digital with no trade-ins unlike consoles currently.

But newer digital games tend to sell for more anyway, so I suppose by virtue percentages may be aligned. I suppose the only way they could negotiate a higher percentage is if they could get the Publisher to agree to give back a certain percentage too, on the proviso that these digital resale funds could be used towards purchasing more (new) digital games, perhaps more than the buyer would ordinarily invest in as a result of the trade in value.

For the same price as retail physical copies, unless you buy them used. what publisher would agree to a higher percentage without the guarantee of it coming back to them with the following game sell? that benefits MS, not individual pubs.

Ask the publishers to pay up, just like the trump wall for mexico...

"Hey Ubisoft, give us more money because somebody traded in AC to get GTA V."

Top Bottom