• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

Durante

I thought Dark Souls 3 was in dev before Bloodborne? I absolutely agree they wouldn't maintain two engines, but I do think development diverged at some point. (Although, it was probally late 2014, not 2013)
But why do you think so? I don't see a single indication for it.
(I mean, this would obviously be easier to prove one way or the other if BB had a PC version and you could run both it and DS3 through something like RenderDoc, but still, looking at the output and the behavior of the engine on the one platform where the games are comparable I just see no reason to suspect any significantly diverging development)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Typing on mobile sucks, I was referring to the mid tier GPUs, but I re-read my post and see how it can come across that way. Edited for clarity.

im sorry dude, I misunderstood

(I mean, this would obviously be easier to prove one way or the other if BB had a PC version and you could run both it and DS3 through something like RenderDoc, but still, looking at the output and the behavior of the engine on the one platform where the games are comparable I just see no reason to suspect any significantly diverging development)

because people continue to fantasize that Bloodborne isnt a Souls game :p Im not saying Unstable thinks this, just find it funny that I still see it pop up now and then

Unstable

The only reason I considered the possibility, that I've noticed nuances in Dark Souls 3 gameplay that were present in Dark Soul 2 but not Bloodborne. Although, that could be intentional.

Eh, I'm probally super off base. *takes off tin foil hat*

You ever get that feeling in the core of your marrow that Durante is going to release a D3D11 extension for GeDoSaTo upon DS3 release that includes a TAA option for DS3?

That is a weird feeling to have in the bone.

Durante

You ever get that feeling in the core of your marrow that Durante is going to release a D3D11 extension for GeDoSaTo upon DS3 release that includes a TAA option for DS3?

That is a weird feeling to have in the bone.
I wish. Even if I had a fully working infrastructure for DX11, good TAA isn't something you just "inject" as (relatively) easily as a post-processing AA pass. Sorry :p

Sanctuary

The engine is very clearly an evolution of the DS2 engine. There are literally dozens of indications of that you find just by a cursory look.

It wouldn't make any sense for them to develop a new engine for Dark Souls 2 (which was well known), only to use an older engine for Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 anyway.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm still torn on whether to get this on PC and enjoy 60FPS, or play on a 60" TV and couch with the ps4, having found Bloodborne's frame issues tolerable.

I have two weeks to figure this out. Eeeeeergh!

Quick, more pros/cons. PC: More hackers, PS4: Trophies > steam achievements, physical soundtrack disc, physical player's guide...

I'm still torn on whether to get this on PC and enjoy 60FPS, or play on a 60" TV and couch with the ps4, having found Bloodborne's frame issues tolerable.

I have two weeks to figure this out. Eeeeeergh!

Quick, more pros/cons. PC: More hackers, PS4: Trophies > steam achievements, physical soundtrack disc, physical player's guide...

Although ive embaresses myself with technical snafus...id say framerate over trophies etc. The better the game plays the more fun it will be to play.

Vitor711

The engine is very clearly an evolution of the DS2 engine. There are literally dozens of indications of that you find just by a cursory look.

Oh Thank God - that hopefully means that it runs pretty well. Clearly not expecting similar performance since the visual improvements are pretty apparent, but it'd be nice to get a solid 60FPS (or thereabouts) at 1440p with my 980 and i5-4690k.

I know that a 970 can certainly hold 60 FPS at maximum settings at 1080p -- it does pretty well even at 1440p which is 77% more pixels. Also, the final level of settings (going from "high" to "max") doesn't have the greatest return on performance investment, so that could be disabled for slower cards. In fact, I'd take higher resolution even over the medium -> high jump.

Oh, well that answers that then. I should be fine. Thanks!

Sanctuary

Durante sorry but new Nvidia drivers with Dark Souls III optimizations and SLI profile

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/100868/nvidiaupdate

Lets just hope that these drivers are better than the last two that were buggy as hell. I had to go back to 361.91 to prevent driver crashes.

I'm still torn on whether to get this on PC and enjoy 60FPS, or play on a 60" TV

Why not both? Is your PC just permanently affixed to another location, or just too large to find a reasonable (temporary) spot in your living room?

Arkeband

Banned
Lets just hope that these drivers are better than the last two that were buggy as hell. I had to go back to 361.91 to prevent driver crashes.

Why not both? Is your PC just permanently affixed to another location, or just too large to find a reasonable (temporary) spot in your living room?

I'd have to run a 50 foot HDMI cable throughout my apartment, and then find a way to pair a controller to my desktop through a wall or two.

Steam Link is really only good if everything is also hard wired up, which is the tough part.

I'd have to run a 50 foot HDMI cable throughout my apartment, and then find a way to pair a controller to my desktop through a wall or two.

Steam Link is really only good if everything is also hard wired up, which is the tough part.

Powerline adapters for Ethernet do wonders in that kind of situation.

But, I get where you're coming from.

Valtýr;199426032 said:
i7 3770k
GTX 680 2GB
16GB RAM

think 1080 at 30fps is possible?

Easily. You'll probably hit 50-60 fps at high settings at 1080p.
Turn down textures to one step below max to keep the VRAM in your 2GB limits.

Arkeband

Banned
The more the better. You can still probably run Ultra at 1080p on 2 GB VRAM just with a bit less framerate.

I doubt it's really that intense but we'll see.

I just ask because Shadow of Mordor required 4+, so 970's with their 3.5 caused issues. If it's not like that then I'm not worried.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Probably not the best place to ask, but is there an actual physical version for PC? With my current internet, downloading this is going to be extremely painful...

Durante

The new NV driver includes an official profile for DS3 with SLI compatibility bits.
I can't test how well they work, but I thought some people might be interested.

RedSnake

Can I run this at 1080p and more than 30 fps?

intell i5-4440 3.10ghz
8gb RAM
GTX 750 (4gb memory maybe?)

I don't care if I have to turn V-sync off but would like most graphics on max/high

Thanks in advance guys!

impact

Banned
Can I run this at 1080p and more than 30 fps?

intell i5-4440 3.10ghz
8gb RAM
GTX 750 (4gb memory maybe?)

I don't care if I have to turn V-sync off but would like most graphics on max/high

Thanks in advance guys!

not at high/max

low/med and you're probably good to go

Durante: Watching a bunch of streams I've noticed quite a bit more pop-up than what I remember from Bloodborne. Do you think that's the case?

The new NV driver includes an official profile for DS3 with SLI compatibility bits.
I can't test how well they work, but I thought some people might be interested.

Great news. I was worried there wouldn't be an SLI profile at launch and I'd have to settle for a mere 1080p.

nkarafo

Why do you think that is? SoM is a good looking game, but why so VRAM hungry? It looks good, but not that good.
A game doesn't need to look good to take up lots of resources. Look at the new Gears of War game for instance, it would bring my PC to it's knees even though it can handle much better looking games easily. Having said that, Mordor has an Ultra Texture pack that uses a lot of VRAM, without looking much better.

Just saw this video over at reddit of the PC version running on GTX950 on max settings and 1080p. . FPS appears to be around ~40 and the lowest it drops to is ~30. Might help some people figure out how well the game will run for their PC since the VRAM is 2 GB (?)
If I am completely wrong my apologies for being a PC scrub :(

Nice, as I thought high settings and 1500MHz OC (very simple to achieve on 950s) should get 60 fps most of the time.

JBwB

Just saw this video over at reddit of the PC version running on GTX950 on max settings and 1080p. . FPS appears to be around ~40 and the lowest it drops to is ~30. Might help some people figure out how well the game will run for their PC since the VRAM is 2 GB (?)
If I am completely wrong my apologies for being a PC scrub :(

Nice, looks like I'll be fine playing DS3 a̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶e̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶f̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶g̶p̶u̶ ̶(̶G̶T̶X̶ ̶6̶9̶0̶)̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶S̶L̶I̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶(̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶e̶!̶)̶.

Edit: Did not read the comments above haha.

Struct09

Awesome that we're getting some coverage of the PC version before launch. It seems solid so I moved my PS4 pre-order over to a PC one.

So I just built a pc for the first time (had someone to help me) and i'm not knowledgable by any stretch of the imagination. How well can I run this at 1440p? and does it support more fps than 60?

i7 6700
GTX 980 Ti
16gb ram

Also, I was just playing dark souls on pc (used to play on console) and Durante you have no idea how I appreciate you work <3

So now the question is 8K at 30fps, or 4K at 60.

I always go for 60. 8k is kind of overkill as an AA solution.

So I just built a pc for the first time (had someone to help me) and i'm not knowledgable by any stretch of the imagination. How well can I run this at 1440p? and does it support more fps than 60?

i7 6700
GTX 980 Ti
16gb ram

Also, I was just playing dark souls on pc (used to play on console) and Durante you have no idea how I appreciate you work <3

You'll be fine - the game is locked to 60 fps, but you can easily run it at 1440p maxed out with that setup.

Top Bottom