• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

You think the game will be easily moddable? At least some graphical enhancements like ENB and so on?

Boris (enb dev) probably won't touch this game. I'm surprised he bothered at all with DS2, he claimed he couldn't even manage to gather enough souls to buy the cheapest helmet at the start. He hates the game so much.

But, Reshade, that's probably doable.

byropoint

Any info on how AMD hardware fares with the game? Specifically the 390/x? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with an AMD card on GAF :/

Talonz

Any info on how AMD hardware fares with the game? Specifically the 390/x? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with an AMD card on GAF :/

390x should run it well since it's more powerful than a GTX 970. It should do 1080p/60fps pretty easily, imho.

Does anyone know if those affected were on version 1.01 of the game?

I assume that would be the "day one" patch version? The Giant Bomb stream of it had two crashes to desktop in their hour and a half. Vinny and Austin reported that playing as any class other than Knight seemed to trigger a crash. I'd suggest watching the intro of that video because they go into it as much as they can.

edit: beaten hard.

Durante

I'd really like to know what kind of crash they experienced, whether it was a driver crash or a game crash. Because if it's a driver crash, then it has to be their setup.

In terms of game crashes, I had 0 in 12 hours so far.

Oh yeah I know it should, but I'm asking does it? I haven't seen anyone mention anything about it yet.
I don't want to make any statements about AMD HW, since I can't test it. It should certainly work just as well, but there's always the possibility of some software snafu.

I think he is trolling you or I don't know.

Your PC should be able to handle DS3@high at only FullHD with 60FPS. I doesn't look that good.

Well that's not nice. Just asking an honest question. It's not like I said can it run at 60fps max on a 980 ti.

I'm just looking to do this on 1080pg 60fps hopefully max before I upgrade to the newest cards when they come out maybe this year.

I'd really like to know what kind of crash they experienced, whether it was a driver crash or a game crash. Because if it's a driver crash, then it has to be their setup.

In terms of game crashes, I had 0 in 12 hours so far.

No idea if you can tell that in the video. Screen goes black and says DarkSoulsIII.exe (or whatever the right EXE is) has stopped working.

Well that's not nice. Just asking an honest question. It's not like I said can it run at 60fps max on a 980 ti.

I'm just looking to do this on 1080pg 60fps hopefully max before I upgrade to the newest cards when they come out maybe this year.

You'll probably be able to do it on high without a hitch, max though would probably have some dipping.

byropoint

I don't want to make any statements about AMD HW, since I can't test it. It should certainly work just as well, but there's always the possibility of some software snafu.

Exactly why I'm asking, the NVidia logo on the official Japanese specs page scared me :p

~Kinggi~

Banned
Have to say though i am disappointed in the music for Firelink. Both DS 1 and DS 2 with majula had immaculate and memorable music tracks. Sad to see the quality music disappear. Reminded me of the Resident Evil save room music, and its suddenly gone it seems. :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You think the game will be easily moddable? At least some graphical enhancements like ENB and so on?

Boris (ENB dev) went through some personal hardships while working on the DSII ENB, so not only did he not enjoy the game, but it is something of a rememberance of a tough time in his life.

I would set my expectations very near 0 for DSIII ENB.

Boris (ENB dev) went through some personal hardships while working on the DSII ENB, so not only did he not enjoy the game, but it is something of a rememberance of a tough time in his life.

I would set my expectations very near 0 for DSIII ENB.

Boris (enb dev) probably won't touch this game. I'm surprised he bothered at all with DS2, he claimed he couldn't even manage to gather enough souls to buy the cheapest helmet at the start. He hates the game so much.

But, Reshade, that's probably doable.

Oh that's sad. Hope other graphical mods appear.

JHandlebars

Neo Member
Wondering if I should get this for ps4 or pc.

Here are my PC's specs:

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30 GHz (4 CPUs)
8GB of ram
Windows 10
AMD Radeon HD 7800 series

Anybody know which would be the better choice?

Thanks!

Unstable

Here are my PC's specs:

8GB of ram
Windows 10

Thanks!
PC. Considering your GPU is PS4 equivalent (or better) and your CPU destroys the PS4's. I'd go with PC.

I don't have space for DSIII on my Samsung 840 Pro 256GB.
Will it work on my 2nd HDD (WD10EZEX) without issues? In terms of load times and general performance? Any tests/impressions out there for DSIII in terms of SSD vs. HDD performance?
Can't afford a new SSD atm. :/

Mandelbo

I wonder how well this'd run on my laptop... my specs are:

Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-4210M (2.60GHz) 3MB
8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 940M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12

Unstable

I wonder how well this'd run on my laptop... my specs are:

Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-4210M (2.60GHz) 3MB
8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 940M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12

Not well, I'm afraid. I'd guess you'd get 720p 30fps on low.

EVO

This probably isn't the right thread for this but has there been any word on PS4 controller support?

hoserx

Here are my PC's specs:

8GB of ram
Windows 10

Thanks!

Which of the 7800 series cards do you have?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
even with no SLI support, I should be good with i5 4690k, 16gb ram and gtx970 (well 2, but only 1 counts) for 1080p right?

Unstable

even with no SLI support, I should be good with i5 4690k, 16gb ram and gtx970 (well 2, but only 1 counts) for 1080p right?

You're absolutely fine. Mid tier gpus (960/770 -280/370) should be good for 1080p 60fps, with settings lowered a tad, specifically texture quality if you have less than 3GB of VRAM.

a 970 will destroy the game @ 1080p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You're absolutely fine. Mid tier gpus (960/770 -280/370) should be good for 1080p 60fps. You may have to lower settings a tad, specifically texture quality if you have less than 3GB of VRAM.

why would I have less than 3gb of VRAM with a 970 >_> even with its fake 4gb, its still more than 3

Unstable

why would I have less than 3gb of VRAM with a 970 >_> even with its fake 4gb, its still more than 3
Typing on mobile sucks, I was referring to the mid tier GPUs, but I re-read my post and see how it can come across that way. Edited for clarity.

Durante

The engine is very clearly an evolution of the DS2 engine. There are literally dozens of indications of that you find just by a cursory look.

fozzy

Hey guys, would I be able to get 60fps at 1080p with mid to high settings possibly?

I know smoothness is best with this type of game.

i5-3570k @ 3.4ghz
Gtx 760
16gb Ram

I could go ps4 if needed.

Probably gonna go ahead and buy the deluxe edition today.

Thank you.

Too much to hope that FromSoft go hard on cpu optimization so 4k DSR and a still stable frame rate is not outside the realms of possibilty?

Arkanius

I think the DS2 engine was very good in a Japanese game kind of way. I was very surprised by the PC port.

Despite all the lightning downgrade shanenigans. I still don't think DS3 looks as good as they showed DS2 in the initial trailers.

Unstable

The engine is very clearly an evolution of the DS2 engine. There are literally dozens of indications of that you find just by a cursory look.

My guess, from an outsider's perspective. is Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3's engines are separate strings of DS2's engine, developed in relative isolation from one another.

I could be absolutely wrong, but I can't shake the feeling.

Unstable

How well do you think my machine will run the game at 1920x1080?

2GB AMD Radeon HD 7870
Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM

The GPU is slightly above the PS4's GPU, but that CPU is an order of magnitude more powerful than the PS4's CPU.

1080p 30fps should be easily achievable. I'm not certain how well the game scales but, I'd say you may be able to get to 60fp, depending on how willing you are to tweak with settings.

The GPU is slightly above the PS4's GPU, but that CPU is an order of magnitude more powerful than the PS4's CPU.

1080p 30fps should be easily achievable. I'm not certain how well the game scales but, I'd say you may be able to get to 60fp, depending on how willing you are to tweak with settings.
Huh you def seem to know a lot more about gaming PC than I do. For me, my PC info is limited to knowing more ram, vram and CPU the better :p I will def bug you when I finally upgrade my video card ;)

Unstable

Huh you def seem to know a lot more about gaming PC than I do. For me, my PC info is limited to knowing more ram, vram and CPU the better :p I will def bug you when I finally upgrade my video card ;)

Lol, thanks iRawr. I spent my teenage years playing a lot of Halo, and repairing PCs to afford my WoW subscription =P

Durante

Too much to hope that FromSoft go hard on cpu optimization so 4k DSR and a still stable frame rate is not outside the realms of possibilty?
CPU optimization has absolutely nothing to do with getting a stable framerate in 4k resolution.
You will certainly be GPU limited at that.

That said, you can easily get a stable framerate at 4k on a high-end GPU. Just not a stable 60 FPS.

Screen space reflections are there or its just my imagination?
I'm not sure. There's certainly at least some level of screen space light reflectivity.

My guess, from an outsider's perspective. is Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3's engines are separate strings of DS2's engine, developed in relative isolation from one another.

I could be absolutely wrong, but I can't shake the feeling.
I really don't see why you would think so. (It would also be an extremely silly decision for a company to maintain two separate engine branches for similar games on similar target platforms)

CPU optimization has absolutely nothing to do with getting a stable framerate in 4k resolution.
You will certainly be GPU limited at that.

That said, you can easily get a stable framerate at 4k on a high-end GPU. Just not a stable 60 FPS.

I'm not sure. There's certainly at least some level of screen space light reflectivity.

I really don't see why you would think so. (It would also be an extremely silly decision for a company to maintain two separate engine branches for similar games on similar target platforms)

Ah ok, got my umm, technical "knowledge" mixed up.

thanks

Unstable

I thought Dark Souls 3 was in dev before Bloodborne? I absolutely agree they wouldn't maintain two engines, but I do think development diverged at some point. (Although, it was probally late 2014, not 2013)

Top Bottom