• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

Lancelot

Per object and screen based. Dark Souls 2 even allowed you to disable one or the other I believe, which is really cool for those that dislike the screen variant. Most people like per-object though!

Wait, there's no option to turn the screen type motion blur only like DS2? Very sad...

JBwB

Huh? If SLI scales well and Kepler isn't crippled like in most recent games 2 680s are more powerful than a 980.

I was about to mention this but I guess I didn't have to lol.

Yes, under certain conditions SLI 680's / 690 CAN beat a 980.

RedSnake

I already asked but now that the full specs are up maybe it changed something?

I have a GTX 750 4gb
i5-4440 4cpu's 3.10ghz
8gb RAM

Should I get it on PC or PS4/One?

I don't mind the graphics TOO much but wouldn't like for everything to be on low.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You're sacrificing resolution as well. 30fps has incredibly low motion resolution. 4K30 is such a colossal waste of a high end GPU.

1080p is what my monitor naitively runs at and I'll be playing at 1080p so I'm not sure what you mean? Did you misquote me?

I already asked but now that the full specs are up maybe it changed something?

I have a GTX 750 4gb
i5-4440 4cpu's 3.10ghz
8gb RAM

Should I get it on PC or PS4/One?

I don't mind the graphics TOO much but wouldn't like for everything to be on low.

Austin Walker of Giant Bomb said he was running it on a 760 at home and it performed well. I'd assume you can at least do 1080p30 (PS4 quality) but I don't know how steep a drop your card is from the 760.

1080p is what my monitor naitively runs at and I'll be playing at 1080p so I'm not sure what you mean? Did you misquote me?

Perhaps they're just referring to the fact that a 30fps display cannot resolve fast motions very well? It is technically a kind of resolution.
Also kind of obvious though, basically just saying motion looks worse at lower framerate.

AU Tiger

Wonder what are the odds of a 980ti and 4770k running this at 4k/60fps if I turn off AA and just rely on DSR to kill the jaggies.

I know it's apples to oranges but DS2 ran flawlessly @ 4k

Durante

Wonder what are the odds of a 980ti and 4770k running this at 4k/60fps if I turn off AA and just rely on DSR to kill the jaggies.
The in-game AA is a good post-processing implementation, it doesn't cause any significant loss of detail and its performance cost is minimal. Turning it off will gain you almost no performance in return for a lot more visible aliasing and is basically never a good idea.

More information soon™

The in-game AA is a good post-processing implementation, it doesn't cause any significant loss of detail and its performance cost is minimal. Turning it off will gain you almost no performance in return for a lot more visible aliasing and is basically never a good idea.

More information soon™

That's really good to hear, since this will be the first souls game I won't be downsampling other than Scholar of the First Sin, in which I use AMD's VSR from 3200*1800 to 2560*1440.
Regular DkS2 I preferred to render at 4k with Gedosato and DkS1 5k with DSFix.

Dark Souls II's antialising was absolutely horrible. So muddy and blurry.

Akronis

More information soon™

Can you comment on what technique they're using? FXAA? SMAA?

Durante

Can you comment on what technique they're using? FXAA? SMAA?
I haven't dumped the actual shader code, so I can't say for certain. And both of those have lots of parameters and versions which can greatly influence the outcome.

What I can say is that I don't think you could inject anything objectively better externally (within the constraints of post-process AA, which is generally the only thing you can inject).

Arkanius

I haven't dumped the actual shader code, so I can't say for certain. And both of those have lots of parameters and versions which can greatly influence the outcome.

What I can say is that I don't think you could inject anything objectively better externally (within the constraints of post-process AA, which is generally the only thing you can inject).

That's fantastic to hear.
Will use the ingame AA this time around

Akronis

Wow that's an amazing turn of events. Seems like they did PC somewhat correctly this time (despite the 60 fps cap).

Durante

Now I know how people at Valve feel when they post anything which could be remotely construed to have the word three in it!

I hope my 144hz monitor plays nice with Dark Souls 3, Durante's article suggests there may be some issues. I experienced weird framerate locks around 20fps in Fallout 4, so I've seen it happen before.

Also, can anyone tell me when or if pre-load on Steam goes up for this game? If it's already available, how do I start downloading?

crash

Neo Member
I'm running the game at 1080p on the 2nd highest settings with an i7 / GTX980 - on the latest nvidia drivers. I get 60 fps in most areas, there are a few locations though where it drops down to between 30-45. The swamp in Farron Keep, and around the Grand Archives are 2 places that come to mind.

RevenWolf

I'm running the game at 1080p on the 2nd highest settings with an i7 / GTX980 - on the latest nvidia drivers. I get 60 fps in most areas, there are a few locations though where it drops down to between 30-45. The
swamp in Farron Keep, and around the Grand Archives
are 2 places that come to mind.

Can you please at least spoiler tag the areas man? That way people reading to get ideas about what their performance is like wont get potentially spoiled depending on how sensitive they are to location information.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
does using the DS4windows make the icons ds4 too?

No, unless the developers add the icons themselves, so if the game is PS4/PC exclusive it'll have DS4 icons but otherwise generally not. The program works perfectly in general though, I use my DS4 on PC all the time without issue, you just need to learn square is x, triangle is y etc etc.

Sanctuary

Well, I'll wait until the game is out and see it for myself, but the 1.03 PC patch apparently fixed a lot of performance issues.

http://wccftech.com/dark-souls-3-pc-103-patch-vastly-improves-performance-demanding-areas/

Earlier this week, we have reported that the PC version of Dark Souls 3, the new entry of the series developed by From Software, might be suffering from performance issues in late game areas, with some users reporting noticeable frame rate drops in specific areas. Thankfully, it seems like these issues have been solved, and players won’t have to deal with any of them.

Dark Souls 3

According to several reports, the PC version of Dark Souls 3 has already received the 1.03 patch, which has also been released for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game in Japan. The reports confirm that areas that were causing frame rate drops and performance issues now run smoothly, with the game keeping a steady 60 FPS at almost all times.

Can confirm the new update on PC improved the framerate HUGELY. What once ran and chugged along at about 24-30fps is now a rock solid 60.
All areas I mentioned previously in the thread as being “dogshit” are now are super smooth, very impressed
Patch 1.03 fixed the fps on PC. The areas where the fps was between 30-40 are now 55-60.

Good job, From.

edit: Well shit, wrong thread and beaten by about ten hours anyway.

I know it's apples to oranges but DS2 ran flawlessly @ 4k

My 2 Titan X cards are struggling to maintain 60fps constantly. Drops in multiple areas and stuttering to 50 fps here and there, especially around fog. And the game is loaded on my SSD.

Lowering the settings doesn't make a difference.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Posted in the wrong DS3 thread, oops! Delete this.

AEdouard

I just found a program called msi afterburner so may have a play with that later. Is there a best tool for overclocking the cpu, or is that done in the bios?

GPU overlocking is very easy nowadays and generally very safe (I squeezed out quite a bit of power from my already factory overclocked 970). NVIDIA gpus tend to overclock more than current AMD cards, just fyi. Afterburner works like a charm for that.

As for CPU overclocking, you have to be a bit more careful. Also check that your CPU, it it's a an Intel one, has the letter k at the end. If not it's not really overclockable.

Top Bottom