• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - PC Performance article

Durante

When is the PC Gamer article coming Durante?
We're trying to get some additional data which I can't measure myself (e.g. SLI scaling), and the whole VR release is obviously taking up time for the fine folks at PC Gamer, but it shouldn't be too long now.

shiyrley

Banned
I hope I can play at high-med settings on my 660ti at 1080p 60 FPS. I have a 1440p monitor (I know it's crazy but I don't want to upgrade GPU until Pascal) but I'm fine with playing at 1080p for now.

What do you think durante? My CPU is a i5 2500 (non-k) and I have 8 GB RAM DDR3

Kezen

Banned
Off topic but you can play DS3 as a pure SP experience without any PvP ?
Can you turn off the invasion system ?

Pantoffli

Neo Member
Hey there guys. Can someone make a comment on loading times? How often? How long (SSD, HDD)?
btw thanks Durante for the effort

bltn

Off topic but you can play DS3 as a pure SP experience without any PvP ?
Can you turn off the invasion system ?

You can play offline, no problem. You should give online a try though, really enriches the experience.

Kezen

Banned
You can play offline, no problem. You should give online a try though, really enriches the experience.

So you have to disable your internet not to be invaded by other players ? I had no idea DS3 was a multiplayer only game.
Is there a setting somewhere to disable multiplayer completely like Watch Dogs or Dying Light ?

bltn

So you have to disable your internet not to be invaded by other players ? I had no idea DS3 was a multiplayer only game.
Is there a setting somewhere to disable multiplayer completely like Watch Dogs or Dying Light ?

There should be a setting. I can't verify 100% because I've only been playing the Japanese version.

Still, give online a try. Summon friendly players to your world and gang up on potential invaders!

You could choose whether to play online or offline in Bloodborne, don't know if they kept the option for DS3.

Try asking in the import OT, I'm sure the folks there will be able to answer your question.

dr_rus

Haven't been following this thread but this benchmark is new and probably wasn't posted yet: DARK SOULS III тест GPU

ds3_1920.jpg
ds3_2560.jpg
ds3_3840.jpg
ds3_proz.jpg

Hypron

There's a setting you can use to play offline without disconnecting your internet.

It's better to play online though, you'd be missing out on messages and bloodstains otherwise, and those are part of the experience. Invasions when you are not summoning other players are very rare anyway.

dr_rus

I suck with CPU's. How does an i5 2400k at 3.8GHz compare to an i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz?

Rather favorably I'd say as 2400K is the same as 2500K but with a lower stock clock basically so you are running +0,5GHz to the 2500K @ 3,3GHz.

nkarafo

I thought the 770 was able to run this game at 60 fps / 1080p?

Well, bummer. Seems the 960 can't keep up either.

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to see a benchmark actually include my lowly HD7850.

Looks like I'll be fine if I lock things to 30fps on my HD7850. Does it indicate anywhere what quality settings were used in the benchmark?

says VHQ so Very High Quality (or Ultra) would be my guess

Mr. Plankton

Neo Member
Anyone have any idea on how an i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz/GTX 670 SLI (2 GB version) would fare at high (or whatever one step below max is) at 1920x1080 based on the performance results?

I realize it's not as simple as taking the GTX 670 results and multiplying it by 2.

Anyone have any idea on how an i5 2500K @ 4.2 GHz/GTX 670 SLI (2 GB version) would fare at high (or whatever one step below max is) at 1920x1080 based on the performance results?

I realize it's not as simple as taking the GTX 670 results and multiplying it by 2.

Probably 60 fps.

Mman235

Take the "bricking" with a huge grain of salt. These are the exact same problems people were reporting with the drivers--that were pulled--they were to replace too.

http://wccftech.com/nvidias-latest-game-ready-driver-allegedly-killing-gpus-plagued-issues/

With the 364.51 I'd get a lot of black screen and a loud stuttering/humming sound issues with the occasional hard system freeze, and with the 364.72 I'd get a tan (first time I've ever seen this) screen without stuttering, but I'd still have to reset my PC regardless.

Wow I've been having a bunch of hard system crashes while playing games recently and since I overclocked about the same time they happened I thought it was that, but after worrying my overclock was doing something bad and experimenting a bunch with no improvements I've reverted to an older video driver after reading this and the crashes seem to be gone. I haven't 100% confirmed it but at the least my system's lasted way beyond where it would before.

Are Nvidia trying to give AMD a fighting chance or something? At least this means I can pump up my overclock again.

This was with 364.51 so maybe the new ones would work for me but I think I'll wait a version or two more.

JBwB

Slightly surprised to see my 690 beating a 980 at 1440p. It doesn't seem like this game is VRAM heavy.

Going off those benchmarks, I'm probably going to be locking the fps to 45fps. Something that I'm more than happy doing if I'm playing at 4K.

MegaMelon

i5-4440@ 3.10GHz w/Gtx 960 2gb

Aiming for 60fps at 1080p. According to those benchmarks, dropping settings to low with some medium should do the trick. Could change resolution but it's always such a drastic change. Guess we'll wait and see.

Adding to my previous post, I'm feeling more confident after seeing this:

https://youtu.be/0cjE0COuQPs

3 settings high with the rest max hovering at 40 with a 950 and slightly worse CPU? I should have no problem hitting 60fps with everything on medium.

Gbraga

Damn, very impressed at 30fps minimum on a 680 at 1440p and highest settings. If High (with some things on medium if necessary) 60fps at 1080p isn't consistent, then I guess I'll lock it to 30 and play downsampled.

Luigiv

Haven't been following this thread but this benchmark is new and probably wasn't posted yet: DARK SOULS III тест GPU

ds3_1920.jpg
ds3_proz.jpg

So 40 minimum, 44 average on my GPU. That's alright I guess, about on par with the Witcher 3. Still closer to 60 would be nice, might have to mess around with the setting a little.

My CPU isn't listed (i7 3770k) but given how the closely related 3970k performs, I should be ok. Maybe now would be the time to get around to overclocking, like I've been meaning to.

RevenWolf

Huh, my old 660 would be able to get a little over 30 fps at 1080? And VHQ at that? Pretty neat. VHQ is PS4-level right?

Actually the way it normally works is that consoles are a mix of lows/mediums and some highs, so vhq should be better than ps4 quality.

The extent of the difference you'll have to wait for digital foundry :p

Can't help but notice Kepler cards doing quite well in DS3 in relation to Maxwell cards compared to most recent games where Maxwell ones are doing a bit better. (I mean 780Ti vs 970, 960 vs 770/680 etc)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You could lock it to 30fps.

Oh God, intentionally playing at 30fps with a 980ti should be illegal, like a felony. Sacrificing smooth gameplay for resolution is just madness and I will never understand why anyone would do it. I would honestly rather play at 720p/60 than 4k/30. Judging from those benchmarks I'll handle 1080p/60 though so it's all good but damn, don't suggest such madness man!

Any hope I'll be able to run the game at 1080p/60 on High with shadows and a few other settings turned down with a Radeon 7950 (the minimum according to Steam) and a i5-3570K overclocked to 4.2GHz?

Top Bottom