• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | April 2016 - HL3 releasing today. Left 4 Dead 3 and Persona 5 this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Hood

Banned
Make sure Afterburner is up to date (version 4.2.0).
Launch Afterburner. Do icons for Afterburner and RivaTuner appear in the system tray (lower-right corner, near the clock)? You should just be able to click the RivaTuner icon (blue monitor with a purple 60) and it should appear.
Set the Global framerate limit to 60 and enjoy. Alternatively, create a separate profile for each game and add the framerate limit manually - but that takes too long imo and it's easier to blacklist games that misbehave.

I seem to be having version 4.1.1, and under Settings > General > Update checking properties, it says there's no new update for me to install. Should I just leave it at that or re-download it manually from their website?

Also, no, the RivaTurner icons don't appear in the system tray. I don't recall them ever being there. By the way, once a while, bi-weekly or something, I get an error that RivaTuner can't "connect to servers" or something along those lines. But I can't open it, re-install it or uninstall it.

More specifically, RTSS says "Cannot retrieve update information from the update server!"

shockdude

More specifically, RTSS says "Cannot retrieve update information from the update server!"
yeah the update servers haven't worked for a while, it's not a big deal and the update checker can be disabled once you get RivaTuner working.

Uninstall Afterburner, uninstall RivaTuner if it's still there, reboot your computer for safety, then download Afterburner 4.2.0 and install it. Hopefully things will work then.

Grief.exe

Is Singularity the flawed gem and Timeshift bad? Or the other way around?

Was Geometry Wars 3 a price error at one point? I have it for some reason.

I did the Endless Legend tutorial last night and started a campaign this morning. It's been a while since I played Civ or any other 4x game... and I have no idea what I'm doing. I love the look and lore of the game though, so I'm prepared to put in as much time as I need to to learn it.

That feeling won't disappear when you have to look into how you upgrade units. The Endless games are good 4x games, Legends is such a huge improvement over Space, but there are certain aspects that feel overly complicated. Not in a too-deep-Europa-Universalis-way but just overly busy.

Uzzy

wiL0W1D.png

I'm not even surprised that EA managed to ruin Mirrors Edge. Good job.

mp1990

Banned
It plays as well as it looks.

I'm having a hard time enjoying it, as least in comparison with Momodora 3, which I loved. Mechanically wise, the game is superb (with exception of the character's size, which is way too big and bothers me a bit, but it's just a pet peeve of mine), but seems like it goes out of it's way to replicate the Souls formula, both in gameplay and plot, and although it nails it in some aspects, sometimes it just feel forced and frustrating. Now, I'm not huge into the Souls series, so some might enjoy it way more than I do, but so far it's been kind of a disappointment.

A skill tree which locks movement options away. In Mirror's Edge. A game all about movement.

Yeah, and we have no idea how it works yet.

You're gonna tell me that some EA execs burst into the ME offices and told them "ya gotta lock that gameplay element"?

I'm pleasantly surprised it appears SE didn't mess up the FFIX port. Already 300+ reviews on steam and at Very Positive already.

Shigeru-Miyamoto-Quote.jpg

I'm GLAD they took their time with the port. It's not perfect but pretty decent. FF IX doesn't deserve mixed reviews only due to a bad port.

Jawmuncher

Damn SFV is sitting at 150K on PC while Dragons Dogma is just about at 300K. Sure one is half off compared to the other. But for a AAA release that's pretty sad. The state of affairs for the release really did more harm than good.

MUnited83

For you.
I don't necessarily mind having a skill three... but that fact that there is more combat skills than platforming skills... that is a pretty bad sign.

I don't necessarily mind having a skill three... but that fact that there is more combat skills than platforming skills... that is a pretty bad sign.
I dont like how skill trees are shoved into every game nowadays, find it annoying as hell. This is coming from someone who prefers rpgs over other genres

Ozium

Imagine a Mario game with a skill tree

+0 koopa kredits - Jump - this one's on the house!
+40 koopa kredits - Stompin' - unlocks ability to deal damage to enemies by jumping on them
+80 koopa kredits - Faithful Companion - unlock one-time-use Yoshi

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

+40 koopa kredits - Stompin' - unlocks ability to deal damage to enemies by jumping on them

Sounds like DLC Quest

Didn't Stump at one point talk about remaking SMB 1 with achievements? I'm not sure if he ever did it, but yeah, same idea.

Eila

Shigeru-Miyamoto-Quote.jpg

I'm GLAD they took their time with the port. It's not perfect but pretty decent. FF IX doesn't deserve mixed reviews only due to a bad port.

It's the android game now on sale on steam.
I imagine they hadn't put much work on the PC release until the mobile ports were finished, which is why it took longer.

Firebrand

Is there a way to temporarily disable Family Sharing? As in, just start Steam without adding in games from other accounts. It might be causing problems with Doom Open Beta, which won't install.

Let's look at Overwatch. Character roster full of diverse, spunky and entertaining personalities, each with their own interesting ability.

Let's look at WildStar. Failure of an MMO, pretty decent game, questionable art style (I like it).

Let's look at Borderlands. Spongey enemies, LOL SO RANDUMB XD humour, bad gunplay.

Let's look at League of Legend, DOTA 2, etc. Decent games (the best or the worst shit ever according to some people) with communities that are more cancerous than a toxic waste plant.

Now, let's describe those to a group of people who have never heard of these things, or seen them.

They will throw every single idea in a blender, but not before mixing each of them with water.

What we get, is Battleborn.

And Battleborn?

It's fucking awful. From the colorful bleeped cusses and awful humour of "Oscar Mike", to the grating voice and personality of characters like "Thorn", the character roster already seems like a mishmash of marketing room think tanks on how to make the most generic, least marketable characters they could think of.

The art style is awful. Seriously, look at this. They've taken WildStar's cartoon style and made it even LESS detailed.

(That's at 95 for FOV. Look how fucking huge that gun is!)

For any character with a gun, shit gets REALLY bad. The enemies in this - both NPCs and players - are given extraordinarily high health pools. You are stuck firing clip after clip after clip into enemies to do damage, while others wail around with melee weapons, bows, etc. It's not unfair, I understand the issue with creating powerful guns in a game like this - but why have them at all if they're going to feel like a level 1 Borderlands 2 weapon fighting against the final boss?

The entirety of this, mixed with the awful UI and marketing means it was no surprise to me that it took well over 5 minutes to get into a match.

Battleborn is bad. Unforgivably bad. It is a waste of talent that took the generic idea of "MOBAFPS" and mixed it with Gearbox's absolute worst parts - balancing, writing, and aesthetics.

Please, do yourself a favor. If you have this pre-ordered, leave your herd of unicorns and cancel it. Don't waste your money.

Battleborn? It fucking sucks.

Echoing most of this post since pretty much all of this shit is on point.

Battleborn is some of the most incoherent bullshit I have ever played. 1/3rd of your screen space is gun or bow in my case. Colors are there to just have color because "IT'S A MOBA SO WE GOTTA HAVE COLOR EVEN IF IT DOESN'T AESTHETICALLY MAKE ANY SENSE." while the character art direction makes me sad as all hell. I complained about League of Legends art but some of this stuff takes the cake.

Talking about one of the characters in question, Thorn. There is lanky and then there is being a goddamn noodle person. I picked her because he Thorn and she uses a bow? Sure matches the name Leafhopper nicely but, damn her design.

The game itself has some dry ass humor which I wasn't a fan of in Borderlands to begin with but, just seems even worse here coupled with just fucking chaos in the way games get played out. Everything just starts popping off and you can't see much of fucking anything.

I may not like Borderlands but, I hope they go back to making that soon. Jesus. 1 game was enough. There is a chance to be a decent game here but even with the field of view maxed out it feels cluttered as fuck.

This is with FOV at 100 (the highest it will go mind you.)
:( i think the game is pretty fun, I actually like it a lot. It does have its fair share of issues tho, I do agree that the humor is crap. Also I think the gun taking up so much space and effects as well could be taken care of if the game would just add a third person option. I just use the girl with the 4 arms, she's a lot of fun.

got Quantum Break PC for cheap-ish off the BST thread...performance is ok for me (through Act 1 and part of Act 2)...not perfect by any means but it's not some horrific/unplayable nightmare either

I like the gameplay with the time powers (I just have to actually get better with them) and I like the story and live action aspect

Also..

Stand up and spin around twice, while making a yelping sound.

and they have to put their left hand in then take their left hand out...then put their left hand in again and also shake it all about

Ozium

just played a little bit of the doom beta

so it's like quake but you can't rocket jump?

feels kind of boring tbqh

edit: I had that problem with idelamster where it would idle a game but steam said I wasn't in a game, and it said it idled something for 4 hours, but steam said I had 0 hours in it... so I restarted my computer and it worked.

1) This Cursed Giant Tree Wood guy is a real son of a bitch. Tried a handful of times SunBro-ing and we can't take him down.

2) .....We're straight up attacking the nuts, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom