• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Redesign Cover Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazuka

I'm not sure how important this is to people, but I just noticed this the other day.
The PS3/black part of the spine is longer in these redesigned covers than in the original covers.
So if you plan to print these out and put then together with other games in your collection, they will look a bit off. Just like the old design vs the new design of the covers.
I'm sorry, if its hard to understand what I mean, but I took a picture that will help showing what I mean.

Sorry for the quality also of the picture, hope you can all see what I mean.
The cover to the left is from White Knight Chronicles and the one to the right is from my own Tales of Vesperia cover. I just thought people might be interested in this... Sorry for the rambling.

ps3_covers.jpg

Goldrusher

<---- left
right ---->

It clearly says Tales... on the right cover, yet you refer to it as the left cover. ;)

Something I noticed, the "PlayStation Network" on the back is missing the ®.
And the logo on the front should be replaced by a proper layer / png without a white edge.

Perfection is in the details, people!

Yazuka

Goldrusher said:
<---- left
right ---->
It clearly says Tales... on the right cover, yet you refer to it as the left cover. ;)
It sure does. Don't know how the hell I mixed those two up.

Well at least I'm glad we get a more correct template. I wasn't sure if people would care about this, but better if it could be fixed now than when there where so many more covers made.

alr1ghtstart: Thanks for the new version.

EDIT: My camera died, so can't take anymore pictures at the moment. But alr1ghtstart new version of the template is much better. The black part in the spine is correct now.

FatBaby

Veritigo_X said:
Alright, I finished updating the covers I've posted with the correct template. I already went through and updated all my original posts with the updated covers, but I'll post the links to them here too:

Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4
Demon's Souls
Folklore
inFamous
Metal Gear Solid 4
Motorstorm
Resident Evil 5
Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance 2
Rock Band
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2 w/ Japanese Cover
Unreal Tournament 3
Warhawk

Thanks man! I appreciate all your work! Can't wait to see some more. :)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

It's not quite the same scale as the original (and doesn't say collector's edition) but maybe it can work for you.

If you don't like the spine you can just crop/cut it out I suppose.

Altered my Sonic 4 case with the new screenshots. Just in case anyone wants it :) Would be cool if someone had a nice printer to print it and take a photo of so I could see if it looks ok! :D

579yp.jpg

I should be doing hw said:
Thanks man, do you have a scan of the back though too? I'm hard pressed to find anything but the 360 version on the net.

I ended up finding one that was usable. I put together two alternate FFXIII covers, the one you requested and one of the other covers that was offered at HMV or something.

If I find a scan of the US cover I'll paste these covers onto that too.

JAVK said:
Noob Question...

How do I print these covers so that they are the correct size?

Never done this before but as far as I know, they are already in the right size that when you print, you will get them in the size for the PS3 case. All you will have to do is probably cut the borders out, depending on what size of paper you are using to print them.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Thanks for all the nice comments guys, i'm really liking the FF13 covers. I think i may do some more artsy covers for a few older games that i enjoy. Keep it up everyone :D

Oh and thank you alr1ghtstart for the template, it makes things so much easier.

Thanks a lot for those covers guys, I actually found a front cover for FFXIII that I think looks really cool. I'll try and slap it together with the back covers here and put it up.

Edit:
Anyone done any covers here with inside pictures properly? I thought that seeing as we are printing our own covers anyway, they may as well have the badass inner covers that PS3 exclusives usually have.
Something like either of these would work great for XIII I reckon
f4120b89911164a9a0e615fb324db6f64g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=mbn2k4zmmky&thumb=4

finalfantasyxiiipromo05.jpg

Cover not done by me, found it on VGcovers or something. It didn't have a printable version or a proper back so I did a quick version. Looks pretty good, I'm tossing up between this and the one I requested still...

I think the image could stand to be a bit bigger on the cover but whatever. If anybody wants to try and make a better one just ask and I'll post the source image if they want.

Anyone done any covers here with inside pictures properly? I thought that seeing as we are printing our own covers anyway, they may as well have the badass inner covers that PS3 exclusives usually have.

I've thrown a few together for some of the games I have that don't have the inside art. I just got some cool looking wallpaper or concept art and formated it to fit the PS3 case.

Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed 2
Call of Duty 4
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4
Resident Evil 5
Unreal Tournament III

BTW, my copy of FFXIII has inside art. Do other regions not have it?

Apath

Veritigo_X said:
Alright, I finished updating the covers I've posted with the correct template. I already went through and updated all my original posts with the updated covers, but I'll post the links to them here too:

Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4
Demon's Souls
Folklore
inFamous
Metal Gear Solid 4
Motorstorm
Resident Evil 5
Resistance: Fall of Man
Resistance 2
Rock Band
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2 w/ Japanese Cover
Unreal Tournament 3
Warhawk
You are all kinds of awesome. Thanks for this!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
No idea, I don't own FFXIII yet. Any chance the image is up on the internet? Or could you possibly scan it even?
Mine (NA version) was just a monochromatic image of Snow and it was really just on the right side. It looked like crap.

No idea, I don't own FFXIII yet. Any chance the image is up on the internet? Or could you possibly scan it even?

I looked around on the net for it and could only find a shitty scan of it up at MobyGames with the watermarks on it. My scanner isn't very good so the quality wouldn't be that great once you print it. Since the game just came out, I'd just wait for a good scan to come around or make a new one thats better.

Hmm, it does look pretty lame really. Should have been over both sides of the inlay. I'll try and make one, anyone else with real PS skills want to give it a try though? :D

I made three of them. One's sorta like the one that's in XIII now only in color. They're all just high res images I found online. The last one actually resembles the Japanese inside art.

I made three of them. One's sorta like the one that's in XIII now only in color. They're all just high res images I found online. The last one actually resembles the Japanese inside art.
Awesome. I made one myself too just now. I copied your dimensions so I'm assuming that it is the correct size?

Did I crop it well enough, should it be any higher/lower? I like it, but I'm tossing up between mine or yours of Lightning on the chair...

Awesome. I made one myself too just now. I copied your dimensions so I'm assuming that it is the correct size?
http://xs.to/share-09C9_4BA862E3.html

Did I crop it well enough, should it be any higher/lower? I like it, but I'm tossing up between mine or yours of Lightning on the chair...

The dimensions are taken from alr1ghtstart's template so they're fine. The one you made looks pretty good. Looking at all the sweet art for XIII it makes me wonder why SE chose such a boring inside cover.

U2NUMB

I really enjoy all the work everyone has put into these covers. Is there a specific site or place that all of these are pulled together? I ask this only because I am willing to create and host a page on my site to host all the good re-design covers.

From what I can find on the net they are scattered amongst cover websites. I would like one place to go where high quality covers for this PS3 purpose can be kept.

Is this something everyone would be interested in? Or is there a site I am missing that is specific for this cause?

I made a "special" edition box art for FFXIII.

x22t1w.jpg

I want to make a series of these type of boxes without the bars, just the top logos and icons. Give it a semi GAF-collection style.

If anyone uses it, please take a photo :)

U2NUMB

Android18a said:
I want to make a series of these type of boxes without the bars, just the top logos and icons. Give it a semi GAF-collection style.

I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter :)

Keep them coming!

BrettWeir

I just printed out the MGS4 one, and it did not print to the correct size. :( Any tips on how to correct the size before printing?

Amazing work, guys.

BrettWeir said:
I just printed out the MGS4 one, and it did not print to the correct size. :( Any tips on how to correct the size before printing?

Amazing work, guys.

How did you go about printing it? The dimensions are correct as they are, so you can just print it out. Is it trying to print it out to fit the page? When I print out these covers I have to uncheck 'Fit Picture to Frame' for it to print out the right size.

Risette

A Good Citizen
For inside boxarts you could try Liquid Rescaler for GIMP instead of cropping. You'll need to use a preservation layer so the characters don't get stretched out and stuff. And you'll have to paint entirely over every character in the preservation layer which is kind of a pain. :lol

Aigis said:
For inside boxarts you could try Liquid Rescaler for GIMP instead of cropping. You'll need to use a preservation layer so the characters don't get stretched out and stuff. And you'll have to paint entirely over every character in the preservation layer which is kind of a pain. :lol

What benefits does this have over cropping?

I'd probably replace all my covers to this sort of style, but that would require you to make covers for a lot of different PS3 games and then all to come from now on :lol

Also, I've decided to start working on inlays seeing as more talented people than myself are doing covers and these aren't too hard. I'm going to work through my collection first then I'll be up for requests if anybody wants any.

I ended up printing out the MGS4 cover and inside cover to test out how it looks. Once I'm done with all my covers I'm just going to take them to my buddy who works at the local copy shop so they're good quality, but this test printing turned out pretty good. I took pics so I could show it off :lol

vgpz04.jpg

o74n4p.jpg

Since it was a test printing I didn't take my time cutting it out so there are some leftover white areas but whatever. I'll use an x-acto knife and a ruler for the final ones.

Nightz

Is it ok to make requests in this thread? I'd like to convert the covers for all my games and there are some that haven't been done yet. If so I'll make a list when I get home.

Rocket786

If I go to Kinkos to print out a couple of these, which type of paper should I ask for? I want it to feel and look pretty much like the actual covers. Also, would there be a specific size I should ask for?

I like the MGS4 redo...but count me in the camp that absolutely hates the game logo. Even Kojima went back to the MGS2 logo for Peace Walker...I guess I need to hit up Photoshop...is there a PSD of the MGS4 stuff?

Nightz said:
Is it ok to make requests in this thread? I'd like to convert the covers for all my games and there are some that haven't been done yet. If so I'll make a list when I get home.

Sure. Once I'm done with my games I'll open up to some requests. Getting the requests done depends on the scans I'm able to find online since I won't have the game to scan in myself.

A00man said:
If I go to Kinkos to print out a couple of these, which type of paper should I ask for? I want it to feel and look pretty much like the actual covers. Also, would there be a specific size I should ask for?

I don't know if Kinkos would print off these covers since they're copyrighted. I haven't tried it so they might let you. I don't know what type of paper they offer there either, but I use this paper. Something similar would be just glossy paper which I'm sure they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom