• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Phantom Mafia |OT| Your lynch doesn't stand a ghost of a chance!

El Topo

You know what I think would help? If all players tried to explain themselves a bit, i.e. how they want to approach the game, how they would describe their personality and play style, whether they are scum, what they consider important in a game, what they consider scum tells, how they would kill roy if they could. That might help us point out inconsistencies later, since on the first day we usually have nothing to work with.

Darryl

Banned
You know what I think would help? If all players tried to explain themselves a bit, i.e. how they want to approach the game, how they would describe their personality and play style, whether they are scum, what they consider important in a game, what they consider scum tells, how they would kill roy if they could. That might help us point out inconsistencies later, since on the first day we usually have nothing to work with.

why not lead by example?

Well we've ground to a halt in record time.

Vote: Rats Off to Ya

Are you there, Rats? It's me, Ultron.

Welcome! Do you think we should kill someone today? How do you wanna find scum?

What are the vibes telling you? Are they funny like a clown?

He basically tried to lead the back... without actually leading. Its a good way to get town points and put other people into the spotlight.

El Topo

Questionnaire:
Explain yourself a bit. You know, personality, play style, that kind of stuff.
Well, I'm a generally not-too-active player, a firm proponent of not reading too much into D1 behavior and an outspoken opponent of read lists. I have the tendency to be a bit too passive and try to see the good in other players, which is probably not the best trait for mafia, as it also means I often don't follow up on suspicions.

Okay then. Next question. How do you want to approach this game?
Well... it should be obvious, but I'd like to be more aggressive and confident this time. I think the passivity of town players benefits mafia and may be one of the reasons they tend to perform so well in midseason (as opposed to regular season). So basically, expect me to be more aggressive than in previous games.

Are you scum?
Nope. Never been mafia in any of the many games I've participated in, although I was a Republican in Election Mafia (which was their equivalent of town). Even the one time I was a neutral I was the noble Robin Hood in a game full of crazy people (participating in an illegal agency). In that game I killed a clone of Hitler. I assume I always end up as a good guy due to being such a nice and humble human being. No, wait, that makes no sense. Anyway, I'm town.

What do you consider important in a game?
Well, I want players to stick to their conviction. In addition I prefer it if players keep things simple and focus, instead of jumping from here to there or posting half-assed read lists. I also feel that not participating is a dick move (unless there are good reasons). That said, I'm well-aware that I haven't lived up to my own standards in previous games.

Anything you would consider a scum tell?
Well, clearly there is no easy way to tell if someone is scum. That said, I really don't like "empty" or "fake" activity, e.g. read lists. Follow up on your actions and stick to your convictions. That obviously doesn't mean that these things are scum tells, but an honest town player has no reason to just lay back and let town disassemble itself.

Okay. Last question. How would you kill roy?
I'd either shoot an arrow through his heart or smother him with love until he can't take it anymore. Yeah...you know what, an arrow is fine.

Back to business.

why not lead by example?

Done. Now do the same.

El Topo

He basically tried to lead the back... without actually leading. Its a good way to get town points and put other people into the spotlight.

Could you elaborate that in detail, with a post analysis that backs your laughable claim? Because what you're doing is classic "I just want town points" behavior. Insinuating that someone else is doing something scummy without going all out or providing anything.

SkyOdin

Well, since you decided to take the lead and answer this yourself, I suppose I can give a brief answer.

First of all, I have been described by others as a friendly and active player in my first two Mafia games last season. However, I might end up being less active this time around, if only due to a Final Fantasy XIV patch arriving tomorrow. I am something of meticulous note-taker when I finally get around to taking notes.

What I find important in a game is being active and helpful. I don't expect people to be posting ten times a day or anything like that, but being quiet means that we are missing your perspective in examining this mystery. The greatest threat to town is developing a blindspot for mafia to hide in, and the more active voices we have, the better we are at seeing the situation from multiple angles. As for how I plan on approaching this game, I plan on not ruling people out as "confirmed town" as easily as I did in my last game. So, until given irrefutable evidence otherwise, I consider all of you potential scum.

Now, I find the other questions to be meaningless. Asking someone directly whether or not they are scum is asking someone to lie to you. Obviously no scum is foolish enough to say yes to that question. As for scumtells, I don't think there is any simple method to spotting mafia. That is something that you need to wing a bit.

Enker

A google image search for El Topo: "Best guess for this image: headgear"

The questionnaire sounds like a good starting point.

Yeeny called my play style "quiet but playful". That kind of sums it up. I can only post during certain times (mostly at night) so that makes me observant by default. A key note about me - rare is the time I can vote during the final hours due to mid-day ending in EST land.

Actually take notes this time and use the W/W reasoning technique from Sorian's championship game to improve my scum hunting.

Are you scum?
I have not been scum in my prior 3 games. The streak continues with this game.

No wacky gambits at the last minute. Although in my prior games that's been a wish in vain. So let's just hope everyone is active to limit potential scum hiding strategies.

Th?t w??ld g?v? ?w?y my s?cr?ts.

Could you elaborate that in detail, with a post analysis that backs your laughable claim? Because what you're doing is classic "I just want town points" behavior. Insinuating that someone else is doing something scummy without going all out or providing anything.

why not lead by example?

Gee, so hard.

Flame_AC

Being/Claiming Miller

Win for town.

;)

a questionnaire, how fun.

well, most importantly is that i tend to make jokes out of just about everything, that tends to rub some the wrong way, but if they dont like my puns then its their loss.
I play mafia with my gut much more than my head, previous games have had my logic lead me to completely incorrect conclusions, while my gut has aimed me true almost every time.

well im certainly going to try be more active this time around, its always been my biggest problem in previous games.

Are you scum?
uhh. uhhhhh.
tumblr_muufojg2Qc1sgqn33o2_250.gif

that everyone remembers that it is a Game. we are here to have fun, not to get too caught up in the competitiveness and start taking things personally.

i try to avoid looking for specific tells, in my personal experience it has never really worked, and it tends to blind me to indicators that i wasn't specifically looking for.

Well we've ground to a halt in record time.

Vote: Rats Off to Ya

Are you there, Rats? It's me, Ultron.

Welcome! Do you think we should kill someone today? How do you wanna find scum?

What are the vibes telling you? Are they funny like a clown?

Suh dude.

Blood for the blood god, every time. I think we should blindly flail until we find something solid to go on. Is there any other way?

The vibes are telling me it's day one and nobody knows anything. I'm happy to vote for anybody not named Darryl or Blarg.

Survey says.

I'm Rats Off To Ya. I've played in four of these games we call Gafia. I'm pretty proud of my performance in my two Season 3 games, and quite ashamed by my actions in Season 5. Life got in the way, but now I'm back with a vengeance (hopefully!)

We should approach this game with bloodthirst. We can't be afraid to make hard choices. I don't want to spend four days lynching inactives and then be wondering why there's no evidence.

As always, I am Town As Fuck. Never been scum, undefeated as Town. Come at me bro.

Darryl is my senpai.

ultron87

On looking at some wikis for prep I realize I may have seen significantly more of this show than I remembered. I think it and Fairly Odd Parents may have melded together into a Nicktoon shaped blob in my brain.

SkyOdin

I suppose we can just lynch the people who have actually watched the show to mitigate any advantage they might have over the rest of us.

Flame_AC

I watched it on and off. He ends up with Sam at the end right, not the hot black/spanish chick?

Yeah.

If the game is really misleading, then technically 99% of the ghosts can be considered good thanks to the ending of the show.
Everyone saves the world together.

Probably not the case though.

If I had to hazard a guess on other flavor, neutrals would be Clockwork and his associates known as the Observants. Probably just Clockwork himself though.

With a high degree of certainty, we can probably say that there is a godfather, Dan Phantom, alternate timeline bastion of evil version of Danny.

I doubt that the enemies are the more well-known ghosts, Skulker, Technus, Desiree, etc.

Probably the event enemies like Fright Knight, King of All Ghosts (FK's boss), Undergrowth, etc.

Flame_AC

I suppose we can just lynch the people who have actually watched the show to mitigate any advantage they might have over the rest of us.

Then you'd lose the advantage of people being able to call out inconsistencies with the show. Wouldn't want that to happen.

SkyOdin

I do find it curious as to why someone would claim to be Danny straight off the bat. The consequence we have been told is that eliminating Danny Phantom would trigger an anonymous vote. However, considering the fact that the mafia can discuss things among themselves, that sounds like it would favor them. So, the mafia may target Danny Phantom. Role-claiming DP seems like a risky choice.

Why are you lying about being Danny Phantom, TWE?

What kinda gambit could this possibly be?

What makes you so sure he's lying? It's a stupid move if he's telling the truth, though it also tells town to avoid hitting him... Which is good if he's lying.

Answered my own question I guess.

I'm Rats Off To Ya. I've played in four of these games we call Gafia. I'm pretty proud of my performance in my two Season 3 games, and quite ashamed by my actions in Season 5.

That last bit should say Season 4. Like I said, long day. If I didn't correct that it would bug me all game.

I'll be back to contribute more in a bit. For now, sleep.

Top Bottom