• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Phantom Mafia |OT| Your lynch doesn't stand a ghost of a chance!

Vote: TheWorthyEdge

He hasn't said anything since the claim, though so I don't know if he wants to backtrack or dig in deeper.

ultron87

Doing such a claim as a scum and doing it as actual Danny seem about about the same amount of crazy to me. Which is why I just assumed it was just a day 1 "lol, I have Danny as an avatar". Assuming people are acting completely rationally has gotten me into trouble before.

SkyOdin

If The Worthy Edge's claim is real, then what? I guess it means to not lynch The Worthy Edge, but I suppose that it doesn't really have any other effects on daytime discussion. It comes down to whether or not we trust that he is scum or town.

I am loath to think about it, but I suppose we should consider the possibility that Danny Phantom might be a neutral or even a member of the scum team. Either way, TheWorthyEdge will probably be the focal point of a whole lot of night-phase activity. As such, I am inclined to simply table the discussion around whether or not he is actually Danny Phantom until Day 2. I give 50% odds we'll get Edge's flip then.

Flame_AC

I'm not personally putting much stock in the Danny claim, will wait till he comes around and see what he says about it.

However, votes create pressure.

Vote: TheWorthyEdge

Is there anything from PW that makes you think this is a real claim?

Unless I'm mistaken, TWE is the player from PW that freaked out once like two or so people honed in on him as scum. I can't imagine that someone who broke down over some light questioning would have the nads to fake claim DP as a legitimate scum tactic.

Which leaves either

A) Real claim.
B) "Just a prank bro"

The former might be justifiable. Usually role claiming is pretty fuckin bad, but I have to wonder if there's some sort of protection given that Danny's death results in an anon lynch. In fact, that opens up a gambit. Anonymous lynching has the greatest effect mid-game. It means TWE might be left alive longer, since he probably won't be randomly targeted for NK. This does aid scum, but if Danny has some powerful ability additional time to use it might be key.

Ty4on

Unless I'm mistaken, TWE is the player from PW that freaked out once like two or so people honed in on him as scum. I can't imagine that someone who broke down over some light questioning would have the nads to fake claim DP as a legitimate scum tactic.

Which leaves either

A) Real claim.
B) "Just a prank bro"

The former might be justifiable. Usually role claiming is pretty fuckin bad, but I have to wonder if there's some sort of protection given that Danny's death results in an anon lynch. In fact, that opens up a gambit. Anonymous lynching has the greatest effect mid-game. It means TWE might be left alive longer, since he probably won't be randomly targeted for NK. This does aid scum, but if Danny has some powerful ability additional time to use it might be key.

Does PW affect your view of him as a town? Like how he just role claimed out of the blue?
Unless Danny can't be NK'd or something I don't understand why anyone would claim this early. Especially as Danny might be the most powerful role in the game and his death could cost town the game.

gryvan

Which leaves either

A) Real claim.
B) "Just a prank bro"

Well looking at the current day situation (Day 1) I personally think he was just trying to be all fluff

but at the same time Darryl kinda exarcerbated the fluffiness of TWE's post and now I'm questioning TWE's motives too...

But then again Darryl is the kind of guy who wants to question everyone and see if they break or not.

Does PW affect your view of him as a town? Like how he just role claimed out of the blue?
Unless Danny can't be NK'd or something I don't understand why anyone would claim this early. Especially as Danny might be the most powerful role in the game and his death could cost town the game.

Yes, his behavior in PW does influence my view of him in this game. I'm going to dig around PW if I can find the thread, because I want to make sure I'm not confusing two different players for the same one.

As for the claim: Danny dying early on won't cost town the game. Anonymous lynches are more powerful later on in the game. At which point Danny already had a higher chance of dying just by random selection of NK targets. Or TWE somehow ever becoming a suspect and being forced to claim to avoid being lynched.

I'm not saying it was a good idea to claim. I'm just saying it might not be the disaster some of you think it is.

Ty4on

Yes, his behavior in PW does influence my view of him in this game. I'm going to dig around PW if I can find the thread, because I want to make sure I'm not confusing two different players for the same one.
You don't subscribe to every Gafia game?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182168
As for the claim: Danny dying early on won't cost town the game. Anonymous lynches are more powerful later on in the game. At which point Danny already had a higher chance of dying just by random selection of NK targets. Or TWE somehow ever becoming a suspect and being forced to claim to avoid being lynched.

I'm not saying it was a good idea to claim. I'm just saying it might not be the disaster some of you think it is.
It will give us zero voting records and scum the chance to choose whom to lynch. Not game breaking, no role should break the game, but still pretty bad.

I'd love to hear what makes you think Worthy would claim like this. I never read through PW and looking back at D2 there I vaguely remember that Worthy was modkilled, but I didn't see anything that would make me believe he's the kind of player who would claim on D1 as an important role.

El Topo

Did I miss anything or are people taking a single post that could easily be a joke way too seriously?

why would someone claim a role guaranteed to be in the game as a joke?

For obvious reasons? Funny coming from someone that asked me to lead by example, then didn't do jack shit.

Ok, wasn't expecting that explanation.

The original posts do nothing to contradict it, but at the same time, weird mistake to make.

Ok, wasn't expecting that explanation.

The original posts do nothing to contradict it, but at the same time, weird mistake to make.

Corn had asked if the day had started, no one answered him, then the survey and I thought it was a joke. Then the first two replies after knew it was a joke...? I think?

Damn. :/

Corn had asked if the day had started, no one answered him, then the survey and I thought it was a joke. Then the first two replies after knew it was a joke...? I think?

Damn. :/

hmm, was just talking about your comments themselves, which could read as pre-game fluff. I mean, I made a similar joke on page 1. But if you're saying you skimmed the page, you missed the highlighted votes?

hmm, was just talking about your comments themselves, which could read as pre-game fluff. I mean, I made a similar joke on page 1. But if you're saying you skimmed the page, you missed the highlighted votes?

Honestly thought those were jokes but I mean I didn't really look at them, and just skimmed to see if anyone replied to my joke. In the mean time I saw someone's survey and where it had "Are you scum?" there was the Grand Budapest Hotel .gif so I assumed that the survey as a joke. Even the creator said it was supposed to be funny...

Don't confirm this one way or the other. We don't really want to make it easier for scum to narrow down candidates.

Sorry.

Dammit. I wanted to play a better game this time around and I jsut shoot myself in the cock...of course.

Also, I have absolutely no clue at all how I missed that Day 1 start. Or the 2nd page even.

It will give us zero voting records and scum the chance to choose whom to lynch. Not game breaking, no role should break the game, but still pretty bad.

I'd love to hear what makes you think Worthy would claim like this. I never read through PW and looking back at D2 there I vaguely remember that Worthy was modkilled, but I didn't see anything that would make me believe he's the kind of player who would claim on D1 as an important role.

I'm not saying anon vote isn't horrible for town. I'm saying chances are that late game it'd have a good chance of triggering anyway. But that the earlier in the game it happens the less damage it does.

Flame_AC

I figured it would look like role phishing, but do what you want Crimson.

Him not answering would just leave us in a weird limbo state based on his posts which he didn't realize were at the start of the game. He has a decent defense either way, 'I was making a joke post before the game started', 'I was joking around by making one of those super early role claims like some people might think Xam did.'

He could be lying too, since outing an assumed PR this early would be horrible. Would be good for him since we'll all probably take his word at it for now and scum would probably rather hunt for PRs then take a shot at him.

I get that Flame seemed to want to out Danny, but what do you make of Corn's "it's not a disaster if he dies" comment?

I'm not sure what to think of Corn. I've found his entire reaction to this kind of odd. I completely disagree with his assessment of TWE based on PW, as well as his belief that the claim was real. But I'm not sure if that disagreement makes him scummy.

I mean, he's right that if DP does die, which is a high possibility at some point in the game, it's not the end of the world, and we can take actions to mitigate scum's impact on the vote. But at the same time, it's not something we really want to encourage, and it's certainly a negative impact on town. Is it better to get the anon vote out of the way earlier? I'm not sure. Whenever it happens, I think town would need to agree on a single target before voting, and we lose any voting data from that day.

I get that Flame seemed to want to out Danny, but what do you make of Corn's "it's not a disaster if he dies" comment?

This is honestly the thing that stands out the most to me right now.

TB even said that killing Danny would be bad, and we don't even have the full deets on what happens yet. Anonymous vote yes, but there's still more to his death.

Ty4on

I'm not saying anon vote isn't horrible for town. I'm saying chances are that late game it'd have a good chance of triggering anyway. But that the earlier in the game it happens the less damage it does.
Danny outing himself does put the timing of his death in scum's hands though.

This is a super weird extrapolation, but would you back a policy lynch of Danny early in the game so we're not struck by an anonymous vote later in the game?

Which leaves either

A) Real claim.
B) "Just a prank bro"

can you elaborate on that? i honestly dont see the logic.

Honestly thought those were jokes but I mean I didn't really look at them, and just skimmed to see if anyone replied to my joke. In the mean time I saw someone's survey and where it had "Are you scum?" there was the Grand Budapest Hotel .gif so I assumed that the survey as a joke. Even the creator said it was supposed to be funny...

how? how does this happen everytime i make a joke?!?

anyway, for now, i believe this.
for now.

but imma be watching.

im always watching...

Enker

This caught my attention. I've also read the game though not much from D2 and D3 where most of the scum reading happened.

I totally agree on W/W (deducing whether two people could be scum on the same team from their interactions), but what do you think about their "read" lists?

Getting back to the thread & wanted to answer this so it wasn't hanging.

I like their read lists because it allows you to keep some things close to the chest + more inclination to rate the majority of players because they don't have to write a sentence on each one. There's also the "degree of town/scum", which helps support how confident you are.

In short, I'll try to do that as well.

Danny outing himself does put the timing of his death in scum's hands though.

This is a super weird extrapolation, but would you back a policy lynch of Danny early in the game so we're not struck by an anonymous vote later in the game?

Hmm... thatd depend on his role tbh.

Enker

I feel you.

Whenever I try something like what I did it backfires...

Worse than that, it created an open question.

I'm going to trust that it was a mistake for now and not a real roleclaim or not-roleclaim, but going back to Sorian's game how someone did the exact same "Did the game start?" Not a good look.

Flame, I see no good reason to need to confirm that, and you've generally been fluffy/speculating on potential roles/throwing out an easy pressure vote on someone with a number of votes already. You're not the only one to be overly fluffy, but you can keep my vote for now.

And wouldn't a policy lynch leave us with effectively two days without voting data? not just one.

Darryl

Banned
it makes a lot of sense for scum to pretend to be DP. because we have to protect the identity of DP, the real DP will be afraid to counter claim.

this would allow a player to get a pass for awhile. they could waste town doctors and watchers - it would cause PR nightmare. it's a great scum move. the motives there are obvious.

twe's claim that he didn't know the day started is far fetched. especially since we all knew our roles since thread start, role jokes are already in bad spirit since they're essentially early gaming.

I think twe is a contender for early scum. he may have felt an urge to gambit based on a scum team thread when they talked over scenarios relating to DP and how to tackle him. this explains the short posts, showing that he may have been uncomfortable with the reveal. he has overreached. his explanation for his posts would be gross in a scenario where he is mafia, but he may now feel the need for a more honest explanation which involves his naivety. so instead we get this long winded and hardly believable explanation.

can you elaborate on that? i honestly dont see the logic.

how? how does this happen everytime i make a joke?!?

anyway, for now, i believe this.
for now.

but imma be watching.

im always watching...

Early game the anon lynch is left good because early votes tend to be crapshoots anyway.

Late game town can be more unified and scum might be well known. Still can be devastating but less chance than mid game.

I figured it would look like role phishing, but do what you want Crimson.

Him not answering would just leave us in a weird limbo state based on his posts which he didn't realize were at the start of the game. He has a decent defense either way, 'I was making a joke post before the game started', 'I was joking around by making one of those super early role claims like some people might think Xam did.'

He could be lying too, since outing an assumed PR this early would be horrible. Would be good for him since we'll all probably take his word at it for now and scum would probably rather hunt for PRs then take a shot at him.
That's a good point about Xam. If someone were to joke claim, they would use either the main character or the comic relief character. TWE could still be scum but I don't buy that this was some purposeful scum gambit.

I don't believe that scum would fake claim DP seriously at this point. It would make a good fake claim if they were in danger of being lynched, but at this point in the game you're just putting yourself on a time limit with a gambit like that. And in any case, TWE didn't do this, he backed down on the comment.

A scenario I did consider was scum claiming it to try to bait reactions/counterclaims and then playing it off as a joke, but again I'm not sure how realistic a plan that would be, and it's more me trying to fit a scum motive to the claim.

I was expecting TWE to come back and say that it was a joke, and his posts line up with the excuse he did give. But on the other hand, I can't see skimming the first half of that page and not thinking that the game had started, I mean, there's a vote which is quoted multiple times.

Plus as Darryl said by that point he would have known his role PM, so regardless of whether the game had started or not, any comments would still be informed by that.

Summary of thoughts: I can't think of a good scum motive for it as a gambit. Mixed on how plausible the excuse is, but slightly leaning towards it being true. None of this is indicative of actual alignment.

Top Bottom