• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Netflix UK just uploaded all Star Trek shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck. I was just gonna cancel my Netflix sub after giving up half way through the current season of OITNB

Guess Ill keep it will I work through the back half of DS9.

El Topo

yeah, and they've got voyager.

They do? I wish someone would get the rights for TNG or DS9. Anyone, really. Those are shows that are not available anywhere digitally*. Fuck it, I would pay €10 a month for older shows (like e.g. Pretender) alone.
*I'm not even sure if they still air on TV.

finley83

Banned
Nice, was onto S2 of TNG from US Netflix when my unblocker stopped working. Tried to go back to my DVDs but the difference in quality is huge against the HD remasters!

Cider X

Is TNG in HD? The old sd masters look like they were sourced by some guy using his old tapes from his moms basement.

Ingram

All up here in Australia. I'm going to be stupid and watch Enterprise. That and the original series are all I havn't seen. I might try to watch the last few seasons of Voyager I'm not sure I ever did see those. It's hard going back to such old shows :(

Archer

OH YES.

fckya.gif

Let out an audible squeal when I saw the Facebook post by Netflix announcing it today. Been wanting to rewatch them all for ages. That's the wife and I's weekend sorted.

Not fair. Norway has never been part of the EU and still no Next Generation (or any of the series). What do we need to exit?!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
About time!

Watching the first episode of TOS at the moment, gonna work my way through all of them.

cool cool cool America Here giving you Brits the gift of DS9 for our independence day from you guys. Praise be the Founders.

Let's just say I have my sources.

If I need to be vetted, I'll be happy to oblige.

I actually assumed this might be the case and this was part of the deal, since you have to imagine most sky and cable channels didn't want to lose trek since it was a great way to fill their schedules. Thank God it is Netflix (if true). I was afraid that sky were going to get it, and at least this way trek has greater penetration for the new generation of viewers.

choco-fish

HD remaster of TNG?! have held off buying the Blu ray for so long, this is so very good to hear, can't wait to get stuck into the classic episodes and the odd episode I missed in my youth.

Vlodril

Apparently they did add them in the greek shop. Not sure why its not proposed for me or not in new releases ( i have searched for the shows before) but i randomly found them today.

Started with the original since i hadnt see it before. Holds up better than i thought.

Fusebox

Banned
So for the non-Trek fans who want to jump in. Do we start on the first ep of the first season and just go through chronologically?

Oh Shit, they must've added most of them recently to the Canadian version as well because DS9, Voyager, etc are showing up.

Time to binge.

Novocaine

I just checked and they're on Australian Netflix too, not sure how long they've been there. Even the animated series!

KarmaCow

So for the non-Trek fans who want to jump in. Do we start on the first ep of the first season and just go through chronologically?

For the original series? There isn't much of a through-line between episodes.

It's mostly true for all of the series too. Even with something like DS9, it's more about getting to know the characters over several episodes for a character episode later rather than the actual plot.

In this order:
1. The Next Generation (year 2364+)
2. Deep Space 9 (year 2369+)
3. Voyager (year 2371+)

The Original Series (year 2266+) is up to you, you can watch it before you start those, after, whenever you want. The above order is important because of the actual timeline they take place in. Enterprise (year 2151+) is set at the earliest part of the timeline, it's basically a prequel - this is up to you as well.

If you want to be super accurate you can start watching Deep Space 9 at the middle of season six of The Next Generation, after the episode "Chain of Command Pt. 2" but it's not crucial at all - you could just finish TNG entirely and then start DS9.

Worth noting, all of Trek first season is the worst of each show's running, however do not skip them, especially TNG (people will try tell you otherwise). There are crucial episodes in the first season that are important for later in the show. Some people skip episodes that are important who are told to skip season 1.

Essential Season 1 episodes for character development, these episodes are the basis for future episodes and history of characters/character development (not in order of episodes, just episodes I remember). If you do plan on skipping any of season 1 then you MUST watch these before going to season two (they are not in any order, just the names of the episodes)

Encounter at Farpoint
Datalore
Heart of Glory
Hide and Q
Skin of Evil (this isn't necessarily a *good* episode but still important to see for context/understanding of some future episodes in TNG)
The Neutral Zone

I'm not sure of Netflix has the remastered bluray available or just DVD right now, (I personally own the bluray boxset), but if they have the remastered bluray you're in for a treat with TNG. I wish DS9 would get the same treatment but it's not feasible for them to do since not a lot of people bought the remastered bluray boxset for TNG.

My god. These are the HD transfers indeed as I've only noticed the people walking around the top module during the title sequence for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom