• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Netflix UK just uploaded all Star Trek shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

choco-fish

I'm not sure of Netflix has the remastered bluray available or just DVD right now, (I personally own the bluray boxset), but if they have the remastered bluray you're in for a treat with TNG. I wish DS9 would get the same treatment but it's not feasible for them to do since not a lot of people bought the remastered bluray boxset for TNG.

Its the re-mastered HD, i don't think the bitrate quality is quite as high as the Blu Ray but its fantastic compared to the DVD, the enterprise has never looked better on the small screen.

Can I add Conspiracy to the list of decent season 1 episodes, showed a much darker side to Star-fleet, shame they didn't turn it into an ongoing story line it was quite gory in places too for early evening TV anyway.

SRG01

Its the re-mastered HD, i don't think the bitrate quality is quite as high as the Blu Ray but its fantastic compared to the DVD, the enterprise has never looked better on the small screen.

Can I add Conspiracy to the list of decent season 1 episodes, showed a much darker side to Star-fleet, shame they didn't turn it into an ongoing story line it was quite gory in places too for early evening TV anyway.

Conspiracy was the goriest thing I saw on broadcast television when I was little.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So for the non-Trek fans who want to jump in. Do we start on the first ep of the first season and just go through chronologically?

Depends on what you want.

You can do it in release order or chronological order. Star Trek: Enterprise is the last Trek series, but it is a prequel so you can either watch it first or last. I'd recommend last, though.

Other than that, it's mostly straightforward. The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager overlap in time a bit, but otherwise the shows are mostly separate.

Watch in roughly this order:

The Original Series
The Animated Series (optional)
Star Trek movies 1-6
The Next Generation Seasons 1-5
TNG Season 6 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Season 1
TNG S7 and DS9 S2
Star Trek: Generations
DS9 Season 3 and Star Trek: Voyager Season 1
DS9 S4 and VOY S2
Star Trek: First Contact
DS9 S5 and VOY S3
DS9 S6 and VOY S4
Star Trek: Insurrection
DS9 S7 and VOY S5
VOY S6-S7
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek: Enterprise (prequel)
Star Trek reboot movies (altered timeline)

You can either get more complicated or less complicated if you want. There are plenty of lists online where you can literally go episode by episode in chronological order. Alternatively, all you really need to know is when you can start watching the series:
DS9 needs to come after the 4th Season premiere of TNG, and Season 5 of DS9 needs to come after Generations.

Voyager can essentially be watched at any time after TNG, since it literally takes place on the other side of the galaxy from any of the other shows.

JP

I don't really watch Star Trek but I thought I;d give it a go. Are the UK versions different to the versions I access on the US Netflix? Were the US versions not the remastered versions for blu-ray?

I do switch between the US and UK Netflix catalogues, is this stuff just new to the UK? Probably silly questions but I was wondering if the UK versions were different in some way? Thanks.

I've finally got a chance to watch Enterprise from start to finish.

I'm halfway through season 1 and I actually kinda like it. I love the feeling of them being out of their depth for a change.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I've finally got a chance to watch Enterprise from start to finish.

I'm halfway through season 1 and I actually kinda like it. I love the feeling of them being out of their depth for a change.

I agree with you.

That said, hold on tight because there is a stretch of season 2 that is fucking rough.

jambo

Is TNG in HD? The old sd masters look like they were sourced by some guy using his old tapes from his moms basement.

It looks soooooooo much better. If it wasn't for the fashion, some of it looks like it was shot recently.

nRGIq0L.jpg
nzkfumrl.jpg

mpHn4hB.jpg
xqYmUEh.jpg

tUa8iEo.jpg
NGzwxdX.png

4Zob2XE.jpg
m546ZTwl.jpg

SBL56LP.jpg
J7vhNZol.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/tng-r-changes.htm

My god. These are the HD transfers indeed as I've only noticed the people walking around the top module during the title sequence for the first time.

Best bit is the removal of the red and pink tinges.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't really watch Star Trek but I thought I;d give it a go. Are the UK versions different to the versions I access on the US Netflix? Were the US versions not the remastered versions for blu-ray?

I do switch between the US and UK Netflix catalogues, is this stuff just new to the UK? Probably silly questions but I was wondering if the UK versions were different in some way? Thanks.

How do you switch between us and uk? I thought thos wasnt possible anymore

Bit odd to bump this thread I realise, but it seemed to be the most appropriate place for context:
Netflix UK just put out this tweet.

Seems to suggest they've gotten the rights for the new series in the UK. Makes sense, CBS doesn't exactly have much presence over here, and from what I understand All Access doesn't even work here.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was hoping this was a europe thing... nope, nothing in Portugal. Welp...

was hoping this was a europe thing... nope, nothing in Portugal. Welp...

Thing about Star trek is that tv rights are more internationally competitive than almost any other franchise. Netflix may still yet get it in other European countries, but in terms of the UK deal you can get there were big players like Sky trying to secure the rights.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Depends. Start with TNG and then DS9 if you want a story that carries through. Voyager runs parallel to DS9, but it takes place in a different part of the galaxy so it has very little to do with DS9 and TNG.

Personally, if it was me I'd go TNG>DS9>Enterprise>TOS> Voyager... People will tell you this is a weird order, but in terms of being watchable, TOS is very much a product of its era and Voyager is mostly forgettable. Enterprise may not be great, but seasons 3 and 4 are really very good in hindsight.

Bit odd to bump this thread I realise, but it seemed to be the most appropriate place for context:
Netflix UK just put out this tweet.

Seems to suggest they've gotten the rights for the new series in the UK. Makes sense, CBS doesn't exactly have much presence over here, and from what I understand All Access doesn't even work here.

Or Trekkies 3! Exclusivity on Netflix! (edit. OKsaw the PR that they locked up the new show. Fewwww)

I REALLY hope that new show turns out good. Curious how much of a budget it will get since its primarily a driver for CBS's US streaming thing

Nickovic

Depends. Start with TNG and then DS9 if you want a story that carries through. Voyager runs parallel to DS9, but it takes place in a different part of the galaxy so it has very little to do with DS9 and Voyager.

Personally, if it was me I'd go TNG>DS9>Enterprise>TOS> Voyager... People will tell you this is a weird order, but in terms of being watchable, TOS is very much a product of its era and Voyager is mostly forgettable. Enterprise may not be great, but seasons 3 and 4 are really very good in hindsight.

Thanks. I've watched pretty much all of Enterprise and didn't mind it. I feel pretty much what you do about TOS. TNG it is!

Dougald

Thanks. I've watched pretty much all of Enterprise and didn't mind it. I feel pretty much what you do about TOS. TNG it is!

TNG takes a couple of seasons to really find its feet (hence the origin of "growing the beard" on TV Tropes) but it's definitely the place to start

kharma45

TNG is ropey until S3 but ones I enjoyed from S1 and S2:

S1
The Neutral Zone
Conspiracy
The Battle
Hide and Q

S2
The Royale
The Measure of a Man
Q Who
Elementary Dear Data
Peak Performance

Trials and tribleations is sooooooo good.

The green screening has not aged so well but other then that it's a amazing stab at the concept.

DS9 is GOAT.

jerry113

Banned
Finally managed to see all of Enterprise. It was just getting good and then it ends, such a shame.

I remember watching the entire during its first run (2001-2005). There was a distinct feeling in season 4 that the writers knew the writing was on the wall, so they tried to squeeze as much fan service and TOS-based episodes as they could into season 4. It's pretty interesting reading about what they had intended for season 5: Jeffrey Combs as the Andorian Shran would've joined the main cast and there would've been episodes about the Romulan War.

I remember watching the entire during its first run (2001-2005). There was a distinct feeling in season 4 that the writers knew the writing was on the wall, so they tried to squeeze as much fan service and TOS-based episodes as they could into season 4. It's pretty interesting reading about what they had intended for season 5: Jeffrey Combs as the Andorian Shran would've joined the main cast and there would've been episodes about the Romulan War.

Yeah. Seemed like they finally had some good ideas on the cards. Would have loved another season if it kept going the direction it was heading because s4 was fun.

Oh and if Jeffrey Combs isn't in the new show at some point then someone messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom