• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
happy birthday, NiGHTS!

xdgaV5vh.jpg

Rich!

grew up with the 5200, SNES, gameboy and BBC Micro...but went the way of the N64 and never had a Saturn until now

was missing out, clearly.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
grew up with the 5200, SNES, gameboy and BBC Micro...but went the way of the N64 and never had a Saturn until now

was missing out, clearly.
VF2 at the local roller skating rink sold me a Saturn... love at first sight!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice to see everybody chiming in with their age after my post. Born in 84 myself, so was in that perfect age group when Sega started drumming up hype for the Saturn.

I was born in 81 but had a Playstation and N64 in that era. I didn't play Nights until a few years ago on PC, the biggest surprise to me was that it was on rails, not at all what I expected.

Conezays

Born in 88 myself. We had a SNES in 1991 but don't think I got a Genesis till after moving in 1993. Unfortunately, I only got to rent a Saturn in its heyday but I did pick up a Dreamcast on launch day. Cheers.

Born in '79 here. Plenty of time in with the Saturn during my high school days with plenty of importing back then. I went the Saturn route instead of PS or N64 because of all the arcade game conversions and such that were coming out in Japan. I played plenty of the Model 2 games in the arcades as well. I'll never forget the first time I got to play VF2, it was on vacation in Corpus Christi, TX at the local mall there. Fortunately San Antonio got it a few weeks later.

StevieWhite

'82. I agonized for months as to whether to ask for a Saturn or PSX for Christmas in '96 and I settled on the Saturn because it came with three free games, and my allowance was only $5 a week. The overwhelming majority of my US collection came from $2 pickups when my local Blockbuster cleared their stock. Oh the memories.

I'm doubtful I'd still be playing games today if I hadn't been a Saturn kid. Getting the most out of your Saturn when it was a live system required a degree of extra effort which really made me appreciate the hobby that much more.

JLynn

Born in 1979, first system the Atari. Loved the Saturn as it was the first time I imported games (COD to Game Cave).

KC-Slater

'82. Worked at a video rental store throughout high school, so I got to take home any of the rental consoles/games (and laserdiscs/VHS!) I wanted at night. When they'd sell off old rental stock once demand cooled off, I'd often get first crack at it. That's where most of my NA Saturn stuff came from. (I chose poorly at the time, and bought a launch N64...lol)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I'm doubtful I'd still be playing games today if I hadn't been a Saturn kid. Getting the most out of your Saturn when it was a live system required a degree of extra effort which really made me appreciate the hobby that much more.

I think this is a great and very interesting post, and while I didnt have a Saturn myself, i know very well the feeling of being stuck with something more niche, needing to search out everything on that. Had a Nes only untill getting my PS1 in like 96, and that meant I had to fully explore everything that came our for it when other people played with their newer, shinier toys. Pretty certain that process of searching - which gave me experience of Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, Mr Gimmick and of course all the mainstream games on the system - started my lfielong obsession with video games and that mentality of always trying to "dig deeper" and not being obsessed with the games that shine the most.

A few years later i was in the same situation with an old PC and an obsession with strategy games, meaning i had to look out basically every old game out there. Fun times.

StevieWhite

I think this is a great and very interesting post, and while I didnt have a Saturn myself, i know very well the feeling of being stuck with something more niche, needing to search out everything on that. Had a Nes only untill getting my PS1 in like 96, and that meant I had to fully explore everything that came our for it when other people played with their newer, shinier toys. Pretty certain that process of searching - which gave me experience of Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, Mr Gimmick and of course all the mainstream games on the system - started my lfielong obsession with video games and that mentality of always trying to "dig deeper" and not being obsessed with the games that shine the most.

A few years later i was in the same situation with an old PC and an obsession with strategy games, meaning i had to look out basically every old game out there. Fun times.

YES! It's all about the dig! And maybe on some level feeling like you are in on a secret that most folks aren't in on.

Just get the cheapest on eBay. You don't need to spend extra on extension cables, they all do the same job.
Ok thanks. I Couldn't find much info about these so I thought I might ask. I bought some cheap ones for my gamecube a while back and they stopped working after a few uses. I see these performance branded ones to be the cheapest so I might pick those up.

If I pause Vampire Savior (legit disk, not a rip or download) for a couple of minutes and then un-pause, the game is glitched and unplayable.

I've also witnessed this in Pocket Fighter.

Could anyone test this and see if you are having the same problem? I'd really appreciate it.

This is on a Japanese Saturn... i tested with an Action Replay 4M Plus and 3 Sega 4MB carts. In both games i had no issues after pausing for a while, when my carts actually bothered to work ....
1 Sega 4MB seems to be completely fried, it brings up the "cart isn't inserted properly" screen with Vampire Savior. Pocket Fighter can run without a cart at all and the Options screen will tell you if one's inserted - it doesn't recognize this cart. Tried with a few other games and no dice!
The AR4MP doesn't even get to the "cart isn't inserted properly" screen with Vampire Savior. It just black screens after the Capcom logo. Pocket Fighter with this cart though, displays 4MB recognized in the options screen and plays fine.
The other 2 Sega 4MB carts work normally, albeit one is a little temperamental about where it's plugged in!

Semi-conclusion - probably your cart or slot is the trouble, maybe try cleaning or another cart if you have one?
It was a long time ago so i'm not sure which cart i was using, but i remember once, MSHvsSF just started to have glitchy graphics half way through a fight. Unfortunately these things aren't as reliable as an N64 Expansion Pak!

Pic of today's acquisition, Real Bout Fatal Fury! In great condition and for a good price on Yahoo Auctions. It's a shame almost all the ram bundles have no spines and back prints for the jewel cases though.

Pg20rYql.jpg

And one from a little while ago, Puyo Puyo Tsuu. Turns out, i'm not very good at Puyo Puyo :D

ZGdPIGul.jpg

It's a shame almost all the ram bundles have no spines and back prints for the jewel cases though.

the spine is not a problem cause you already get a cardbox, but the absence of the back cover really pisses me off, I already have 2 copies of Samurai Spirits 3 which come from the bundle and the lack of the back cover make them unsellable

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This is great no longer have to worry about disk rot on the Panzer Dragoon Saga copies! Feel sad for my friends copies that are starting to corrode. >;

This is on a Japanese Saturn... i tested with an Action Replay 4M Plus and 3 Sega 4MB carts. In both games i had no issues after pausing for a while, when my carts actually bothered to work ....
1 Sega 4MB seems to be completely fried, it brings up the "cart isn't inserted properly" screen with Vampire Savior. Pocket Fighter can run without a cart at all and the Options screen will tell you if one's inserted - it doesn't recognize this cart. Tried with a few other games and no dice!
The AR4MP doesn't even get to the "cart isn't inserted properly" screen with Vampire Savior. It just black screens after the Capcom logo. Pocket Fighter with this cart though, displays 4MB recognized in the options screen and plays fine.
The other 2 Sega 4MB carts work normally, albeit one is a little temperamental about where it's plugged in!

Semi-conclusion - probably your cart or slot is the trouble, maybe try cleaning or another cart if you have one?
It was a long time ago so i'm not sure which cart i was using, but i remember once, MSHvsSF just started to have glitchy graphics half way through a fight. Unfortunately these things aren't as reliable as an N64 Expansion Pak!

Pic of today's acquisition, Real Bout Fatal Fury! In great condition and for a good price on Yahoo Auctions. It's a shame almost all the ram bundles have no spines and back prints for the jewel cases though.

Just wanted to add... after the 1MB i got with Real Bout failed... and the 1MB i have with Metal Slug also failed (when i knew it to work previously)... i took my Saturn apart, nudged all the pins in the cart slot with a tiny screwdriver, and now everything works :)

BTails

That new USB solution seems amazing. Hopefully the creator can work out a good production/distribution partner so they're more common than the RHEA.

My modchip will do for now, but I'm definitely interested in anything that means I won't have to use the disc drive anymore!

Top Bottom