• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Wow, seems like I need a second OSSC only to devote all its available profile slots to the Saturn alone. :D

You're adjusting the sample rate right?

I mentioned this in the AV thread but you'll get good results with just the default sample rate for a lot less work. I took a look at the OSSC wiki and it should be labelled "Generic 4:3;" this way instead of trying to take 320 samples of a line that might have 256, 320, 352, 640, or 704 pixels you'll get (for line 4x for example) 1280 samples always, which since it's sampling analog will look equivalent to smooth scaling any original # of pixels out to 1280, and it will always be at the correct aspect ratio.

Galdelico

You're adjusting the sample rate right?

I mentioned this in the AV thread but you'll get good results with just the default sample rate for a lot less work. I took a look at the OSSC wiki and it should be labelled "Generic 4:3;" this way instead of trying to take 320 samples of a line that might have 256, 320, 352, 640, or 704 pixels you'll get (for line 4x for example) 1280 samples always, which since it's sampling analog will look equivalent to smooth scaling any original # of pixels out to 1280, and it will always be at the correct aspect ratio.

Yeah, I've been using generic 4:3 so far, and I just recently started experimenting with optim. modes. And that's because everything looks a bit slimmer than it should - circles become ovals, for example - with generic 4:3, on my 1080p monitors. With optimal settings, on the other hand, it all gets back to normal (i.e. round flowers in Sonic's Green Hill Zone, fatter sprites in Saturn's CAPCOM ports...), the horizontal mask can be set pixel-perfectly to crop out overscan, and PQ seems overall even better.

Why not? I buy retro games there all the time and don't have any issues.

I mean, it might be better nowadays. But whenever I've looked at it in the past it seemed like most listings don't include pictures, aren't very accurate in their descriptions, and have inflated prices.

Timu

I mean, it might be better nowadays. But whenever I've looked at it in the past it seemed like most listings don't include pictures, aren't very accurate in their descriptions, and have inflated prices.
For inflated prices, same thing can happen with ebay!=O Sometimes they do have pics.

MikeMyers

Kind of annoying the triple pack comes with Daytona USA instead of Sega Rally. Would make it easier to recommend if it was the latter.

Does fit the AM2 theme more, I guess.

Yeah, I've been using generic 4:3 so far, and I just recently started experimenting with optim. modes. And that's because everything looks a bit slimmer than it should - circles become ovals, for example - with generic 4:3, on my 1080p monitors. With optimal settings, on the other hand, it all gets back to normal (i.e. round flowers in Sonic's Green Hill Zone, fatter sprites in Saturn's CAPCOM ports...), the horizontal mask can be set pixel-perfectly to crop out overscan, and PQ seems overall even better.

Little late replying but that's to be expected. The actual PAR of the 320 pixel wide mode for Genesis/PS1/Saturn is a bit skinny, they're not square pixels:

https://pineight.com/mw/index.php?title=Dot_clock_rates
Code:
Frequency	Exact frequency	PAR	Exact PAR	Devices
6.71 MHz	4725/704 MHz	0.91	32:35		Sega Genesis and PlayStation 320px mode,[36][5] very close to SIF

I'm not sure on what % of games account for this but I noticed a lot of PS1 games on my Vita looked messed up (too wide) run when assuming 1:1 PAR, but looked correct at 4:3 (Normal). I haven't messed around with accounting for this on Genesis/Saturn at all but I'd expect the same thing there.

Galdelico

Wow, that's ALOT of different settings to mess around, referencing the optimal timings.
So, just out of curiosity, is that what you do with your OSSC? Do you stick with generic 4:3 - so you can have a single profile for pretty much every system - and just accept the trade-off that some game may look off? Honest question, I'm not assuming that's wrong or bad in any way. I'm just trying to understand what's the best mode to go for, in order to 'simulate' what happens with CRT TVs and monitors, when you basically have to just center the frame with each system (or maybe not even that), once you're all set up with your display's service commands, and then forget about re-calibrating everything else.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
In the two years since I've joined GAF and participated in this thread, I've met some really cool people, but this will be my last post. If anyone else is leaving and looking for a place to go, I recommend the Sega Saturn UK forums. They have a small but lively community with more than a few very knowledgeable fans who've been around for a long, long time. Alternatively, I run a general-Sega Discord channel called SegaNet that you're welcome to join. Of course, Saturn also gets a ton of discussion there too.

Wherever you guys go, I hope to see you again. Take care!

Seik

Banned
I didn't post since everything happened, but let's go, this is it.

This isn't a battle between forums, this isn't about killing GAF or anything like that.

If you think this is the point, then the point flies right over your head.

People are leaving by principles. People are leaving because they do not want to be represented here. People are leaving because they don't want to support a platform for which the owner does not reflect the image and values they want to share.

If you think this is just a forum for which the owner has nothing to gain, you're wrong. Being here and providing content creates traffic, traffic sees ad. Owner gains profit with ad revenue. If you don't want to support the owner of this platform, the best way to NOT help is by either quitting or not posting or visiting here in the future.

People leaving aren't doing it for fun, it's a form of protest, to make a statement that they do not accept or support the behavior of the owner.

That is most likely my final post here. I fucking loved NeoGAF for the 7 years I was here. I loved the communities, but now is the time to leave.

I deleted all my work here, saved everything and will transfer at the new place.

For those of you who stay, I wish you a nice continuation.

For those who migrate, see you on the other side. ;)

NDPsycho

For those of you who stay, I wish you a nice continuation.

For those who migrate, see you on the other side. ;)

I'm sorry to see you leave, though I do understand your reasons. I have greatly enjoyed all of your contributions, especially the retro topics. Thank you, and I wish you well in the future.

I want to switch out my North American model 2 Saturn for a Japanese model 1.

1) Do I have to get a different SCART cable? I've heard Japanese and North American NTSC Saturns are wired for different outputs, and vaguely remember that 5V may be carried along a different line and fry something.

2) I have the 4mb Action Replay that allows me to play Japanese games, do I need to get a Japanese cart or will this work? I'd actually prefer to get a Japanese cart because it would look cooler.

3) Do controllers work on both consoles? I want to replace my regular 6 button controllers, but may want to use a North American fight stick.

4) Speaking of the Action Replay RAM carts, I also vaguely remember something about the 4mb one running games optimized for the 2mb one less well. Can anyone explain that, or am I totally off base? Is there an advantage to having both a 2mb and 4mb expansion cart for your Saturn?

Thanks for help with any of these questions!

alf717

I believe the voltage difference is with the European version of the Saturn. Both America and Japanese Saturn units use the same layout but I would seek another source on this as I just use S-video as my highest signal quality for my consoles. Controllers should work fine on both units and the action replay should do its job in either system. I don't know anything about question #4 but would like to hear more info on this as well.

This MLiG video might help you some more.

Top Bottom