• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

I was able to catch this before the server crashed.

ngfo284.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
man I don't know how everyone else feels but I am still loving these stories. That's awesome, congrats on getting the Jynx at the buzzer :D

I could definitely do with some less "excitement" the next time around and more battery left.
._.

Brannon

LET'S POKEMON GO!!!!

*suddenly real life rain*

well fuck it, time for Xenoblade Chronicles X :(

This is not supposed to be the way of things!

Aikidoka

Hopefully, since this game is taking off, it gets some much needed support. The premise is pretty solid but the minute-to-minute play has incredibly poor quality. I have to restart the app every 5 minutes or so as the game constantly freezes. The pokemon so far have zero variety in my area - I went on a 6 km walk to a nearby park and back, catching only a couple of pidgey's. Pretty ridiculous, all the pokemon that were "nearby" appeared to be trapped in the mall that was closed. it seems the best chance of getting cool pokemon is through eggs. But that's just a poor roulette based on an unreliable GPS system. The gyms are what could make the grind for interest pokemon bearable, but on average getting a successful gym fight require restarting the app around 10 times.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also...this is definitely happening to me so I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I turned Lv 10 last night and...my Pokeballs have been whiffing like crazy. I'm throwing directly up but they fly through the air, usually way off to the right, occasionally to the left. I'm not doing the spinning thing, they're simply flying off really far after throwing.

Not happened to me, but I've heard iOS people complaining about this and I'm on Android. Is probably just a bug.

I'm also noticing that even really babby pokemon are breaking out. Yesterday a Magikarp around 80 CP got out and actually fled, and just a few minutes ago an Caterpie I was fighting around 40 CP got out and fled.

So this is just to increase the challenge until you get the great balls right? Anyone who's up that high, do you get more of those from stops, more Pokeballs or an even amount?

40s and 80s is just bad luck, but from about ~120 CP onwards fleeing is not particularly uncommon and you'll increasingly need Great Balls. They drop pretty steadily from Stops. Levels 10 and 11 are becoming a pretty well-known trough, you have to just power through. Using a Lucky Egg and spamming evolutions helps.

haendeul

Thing is, I'm not sure it's even necessary to see other players on the map to encourage that stuff. I've met and socialized with plenty of people just hanging out near gyms or pokestops or rare pokemon spawns. When they do implement trading and battling, I imagine it'll be done through pokestops.

Yeah, I don't want to see avatars all over the map either. Maybe they could add in some sort of "ghost" feature like in the Souls games to represent activity in an area.

What I'd like to see is some sort of way to place yourself on the map as an NPC trainer that people could challenge for exp and stardust. As time passes it will be impossible for people who can't stay on top to actually compete in gyms, so this could ve a fun lower barrier of entry. The trainers should expire after some time or when X number of people have beaten it so it won't clog up the map.

Tons of great stuff at Cleveland Metroparks Zoo today.

Got a Poliwrath, Starmmie, Meowth and Jigglypuff.

Also grabbed a bunch of Eevees to evolve to Jolteon and Vaporeon :D

Was a great day.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, checked the Play Store the other day and it wasn't there. Will check again today

It's not officially, but if you download the APK, you'll be up and running. I was playing from June 9th (two days after US release) and I live in UK where it isn't out yet.

jerry113

Banned
So I hit level 14 today and I'm sitting at work with only 12 great balls left. I need to get back home where all the pokestops are to refill my items.

This weekend was a blast and I met and talked with a lot of people from my town I would've never interacted with without this game. It was great seeing people of all ages and types working together and pointing in the direction of where the pokemon everyone was looking for was. I think the moment I knew this game was a huge hit was Saturday night people were wandering the park and someone yelled out "PINSIR!!!!" and the next thing you know about a crowd of 30 people ran across the park and over to where the kid was standing.

It seems like Team Instinct in my town owns a section where I sadly don't live, but every once in awhile they take over the 2 gyms near me. I've given up attacking most gyms solo at the current time as I can't keep my pokemon healed enough. They really need a pokecenter or lump in healing with movement.

I would type up all the cool things that happened, but I'll just summarize the best parts.

I made this one salty as fuck Team Valor guy continue to have to walk back to retake a gym when he kept trying to get into his car to leave. Then I would hang out next to the 2 pokestops and just stare at the water like I was just hanging out there. He kept storming back to the gym to retake it and I would put magikarps and carterpies as the gym leaders :)

Then there was this guy walking around with his gf looking for a hitmonchan (they are everywhere near me) and the group I was walking with waved him over. His phone was dying so I let him plug into my portable charger during his capture sequence. We then ran into him again after we tracked a Nidorino. His phone died midcapture and he tossed it on the ground and ran off. His gf captured it and left in search of an oddish in the other direction. I had to chase the guy down and realizing they were actually together to let him know where she went. "WHAT SHE WENT AFTER A FREAKING ODDISH??? WHO DOES THAT!"

Best story for last I guess. Saturday was mostly rainy / misty out all day so it was quiet except for some runners and a few pokemon trainers. This girl I know from the gym happened to be jogging around and we bumped into one another while I was looping around to hit all the pokestops. She would shout something over to me everytime she lapped around and then flash me a smile. On her way out of the park she ran past me while I was cleaning out a gym. We get to talking and now and now we have a date scheduled for this week. Pokemon Go is the new Tinder

All around a great weekend and plenty of great stories about meeting and talking to other people. You never know who you will meet and it's nice to get some fresh air when it's nice out.

If anyone is looking to play this in the long haul always remember the following:
Stay hydrated and remember to eat - I met so many people that forgot to eat and were thirsty

Take care of your feet and don't push your body past what it can do. Get some new walking shoes or inserts if your current shoes are wearing down

Portable chargers are awesome! Get one

Be friendly and don't make people feel unwelcome. The first night I came across teens/college kids cursing out younger kids. Ever since then it's been a great environment of kindness. Always thank the Lure owner if you can.

Don't roam out of the house late at night for that rare pokemon that just popped up on the radar. I wandered to the park twice in search of a scyther and a squirtle and ending up wasting 30 minutes looking for nothing. I don't really sleep so the walk didn't hurt and I live in a safe area, but it can be dumb and all for nothing.

Thanks if you read my wall o text. I hate you forever squirtle

PokemonGO is getting people dates?!

What is happening.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually, I don't know if that answers either question. XD

If I use an incense will I get a good deal of encounters just sitting at home?
5-7 over 30 minutes.
If I turn wifi/data off will my walking distance still count towards eggs?
Wifi sure. Data, I mean... you can't play the game at all then so no, walking distance won't count. Unless there's some method of getting into a blank map that I'm aware of, it's always online.

Sushen

Does anyone else gets activate your account to play error??? It's frustrating as I created and have been using the account since Thursday. And now I get this since Saturday.

MrNelson

Banned
Just encountered the 1hp glitch. A single Kingler managed to hold on and wipe my whole team after I had it down to nothing.

Why bother trying to take gyms if I'll have to waste resources getting my team healed due to a glitch.

Clockwork5

It's starting to become more apparent that it being summer time is definitely helping this game with people running the streets at all times of the day and night. I'd imagine once school lets back in, this fervor will die down.
I imagine once winter hits they will need to find some creative solutions to keep people actively playing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks if you read my wall o text. I hate you forever squirtle
Missed this before! Awesome post. And dude congrats on the date. That's now the fourth I've heard about resulting from PoGo.

And man

Be friendly and don't make people feel unwelcome. The first night I came across teens/college kids cursing out younger kids. Ever since then it's been a great environment of kindness.
Hell yeah! That sucks about the kids cursing out the younger kids. Everyone I've bumped into has been so chill and in a great mood. I love when the little impromptu group that form has like an obvious age span of like 25 years. It's like yeah, what, pokemon trainers come in all shapes and sizes.

Always thank the Lure owner if you can.
Word. I always ask who it was and shake their hands and offer them MVP status, especially if they brought me to a location I'd never been before which has now happened 4 times.

Guys halp.

So I was playing Pokemon Go around my mall, and this cute grill comes up to me and asks me if I know where the Electabuzz was, so I told her "Yeah, I found it a bit over there by the mechanic!" And she asked me if I could take her to it.

So I took the cute grill to the Electabuzz, and she asked if she could stick around and we'd walk together. So I said sure. We walked and caught a few commons for like 40 minutes, and we talked and stuff. My battery was close to dying, so I told her I'm gonna head home. She wanted my number and she wanted us to do a date perhaps and just go catch Pokemon.

I said sure and took her number, and said goodbye.

Guys I didn't think I'd see her ever again. So I lied to her to make myself not seem like a loser. :c I told her I live in my own apartment, go to University, and I own this nice car. I live with my parents, I actually don't attend school right now, and My car is a POS and the car I was driving was my sister since mine was taken by my father to get an oils change.

GAF do I never contact this grill again? Cause I don't want her to know I'm a liar. :c

I don't get how Pokemon GO generates income. Haven't played it yet. Actually I have never played a single Pokemon game but as soon as this hits my wife and I are downloading it and going for walks every night from then on we take our phones.

I hate this stupid pokeball bug. It's also getting more and more common with me. I had captured a nice Beedrill and the game froze. When I booted it up again the Beedrill wasn't there.

I know a Beedrill is not a big deal around here but still.

Christhor

So I was about to go to bed at 1AM last night, when I decided to check Pokemon Go one last time. There was a goddamn Haunter nearby, who is one of my favourite Pokemon of all time, so I decided to go out looking for it. There's a pokemon gym right next to my apartment and there was a car there, I figured they were probably playing Pokemon go. After I walk around a bit trying to find the Haunter, the car drives over to me. Turns out it's an unmarked police car, a police officer gets out of the car asking if I'm high or drunk, they thought I looked really suspicious.

After that I left the area in shame, not even getting the Haunter. Apperantly it's a bad idea to pokehunt during the night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys halp.

So I was playing Pokemon Go around my mall, and this cute grill comes up to me and asks me if I know where the Electabuzz was, so I told her "Yeah, I found it a bit over there by the mechanic!" And she asked me if I could take her to it.

So I took the cute grill to the Electabuzz, and she asked if she could stick around and we'd walk together. So I said sure. We walked and caught a few commons for like 40 minutes, and we talked and stuff. My battery was close to dying, so I told her I'm gonna head home. She wanted my number and she wanted us to do a date perhaps and just go catch Pokemon.

Guys I didn't think I'd see her ever again. So I lied to her to make myself not seem like a loser. :c I told her I live in my own apartment, go to University, and I own this nice car. I live with my parents, I actually don't attend school right now, and My car is a POS and the car I was driving was my sister since mine was taken by my father to get an oils change.

GAF do I never contact this grill again? Cause I don't want her to know I'm a liar. :c
do any of you know speedy blue dude well enough to tell if this is real

I don't get how Pokemon GO generates income. Haven't played it yet. Actually I have never played a single Pokemon game but as soon as this hits my wife and I are downloading it and going for walks every night from then on we take our phones.

They probably make money by some people buying up lucky eggs and egg incubators, and space upgrades.

That's how they got $20 of my Google Play monies.

I hate this stupid pokeball bug. It's also getting more and more common with me. I had captured a nice Beedrill and the game froze. When I booted it up again the Beedrill wasn't there.

Same thing happened with me while trying to get a Chansey. Very annoying.

Oh wow if you have Snapchat, one of the new live stories is "PokeMania". I saw it quoted on a news broadcast this morning too, apparently people are using Pokemon Go on average for 43 minutes, 20 seconds....which is more than Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat by far.

pls be Pokemania 2.0. I want it all.

There was a thread a little earlier today about it making money; apparently it's doing so on small transactions through it's entire userbase instead of relying on a handful of "whales" spending large amounts of money on it. I've seen a lot of people on my facebook feed mentioning in comments they bought Pokeballs or something like Lucky eggs.

Guys halp.

Depends. Was she a George Foreman?

Toki767

It's a big deal to me. Weedles aren't common here. :(

Top Bottom