• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Fucking hell this has me nervous. I love my N3DS for being tiny. If this thing is their only handheld solution it's probably gonna be huge and not pocket friendly.

Pagusas

Elden Member
would people be happier if Nintendo made the base station and hand held portions two separate purchases? If you want just TV gaming it cost $249.99. If you want just the handheld (that plays games with reduced graphics) its $149. Or if you buy both together as a bundle its $349.99.

Manoko

but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity

Once again, Nintendo completely full of themselves thinking they can be on their own little world, alienating every possible third party support the console may get with multiplatforms.

Dead on arrival if these rumors are true.
What in the fuck is Nintendo thinking...

Just a huge smug prick smile all day. 4 years of vindication. I didn't set fire to no Nintendo executive houses. I simply infiltrated their minds and told them what to do. I run Nintendo now, NintendoGAF. Scream. Howl. Repent.

Team Hybrid takes the iron throne, lay the heretics and charlatans before us for their judgement.

I'll be coming after you if this thing is shit

With a pointed stick or a small unpleasant rubbery thing to hit you with

why this is not reported in the OP?
is just wishful thinking?

Speculation. He asked if it was possible, not if it was confirmed. As I said before, it absolutely is possible, especially with Nintendo's patent on an external computing device that provides extra power

I did a quick photoshop. To my understand NX concept is going to be somewhat like this? Of cause I am assuming the controller in the handheld form will not be like that, but somewhat more portable.

ok, the previous one seems kinda wrong, so here's the updated one that's closer to the description

j137QQU.jpg

This is much better than my cut up Wii U mockup and the similar one from Tom Philips.
I did your idea with a Wii U gamepad:

EEOrYt7.jpg

They could literally call this Wii U 2, what could go wrong!
Hell, they could attach 2 more controllers on the remaining sides and launch with a port of Warlords.

Except X2 is probably the chip, not X1.

Again, that doesn't suggest easy PS4/XB1 ports. An X2 isn't going to make games like Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1 'easy ports', which is what you suggested earlier. If XB1 can only run BF1 at 720p60fps, what would this run it at?

DSN2K

People really need to scale back their expectation if this is true. This wont touch the XB1 specs wise at all, its simply not possible unless you want a $799 device.

King_Moc

Banned
Oh...well, this sounds awful then.

So I'm guessing it's going to be comparable to the Nvidia Shield in power. So in the ballpark of the 360.

Please tell me the rumour about being able to add to its power by adding processor modules is true...

Natiko

Banned
..but this system will be overpriced if you're a console gamer..as you're essentially going to have to eat the extra costs of a handheld you don't want... just to play the games on a television.
I think a more likely outcome is that this will be overpriced for those that just want a handheld. Consoles typically come out at far greater price points than I imagine this will launch at. Handhelds on the other hand..

Lusankya

I'm a big fan of handhelds, especially Nintendo ones, so I just treat this as a 3DS successor.

I am really looking forward to this.

Hmmm if the price is right I might cave in for that Zelda...color me intrigued. I am open to new ideas honestly.

The cost has to be perfect for this thing, though I can see some people who were hoping for Nintendo to go all out against PS4/XB1 from a technical perspective may be disappointed.

Exciting times nonetheless.

KageMaru

Sadly I don't see this appealing to anyone but Nintendo fans. It tries to reach two audiences (handheld and home system) but may fail to excel in either category. Why would the broader consumer buy this handheld instead of an Nvidia Shield handheld? Also why would the same consumer get this instead of a more capable PS4 or Xbox One?

Outside of some select games, I also don't see 3rd party publishers jumping to support this if they can't easily port their games to this hybrid platform.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
haha, it literally is an nvidia shield, just with a slightly different approach to dockable controllers.

wouldn't be surprised if the next iteration of it matched the nx spec for spec.

not sure why this was a big secret. all they needed to say is "we're going to make an nvidia shield and put nintendo games on it".

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would love to finally play play/finish those Bethesda games...i know it wont happen but i would buy Skyrim on a handheld.

Sounds kind of bad. Less powerful than current consoles, less space for games, no BC, all this coming together means I'll probably get one 3 years down the road when its cheaper.

I think Hybrid is the way to go. I love the idea of buying a console that's also a portable

But does this mean we wont see portable -like games? What will the next pokemon game look like, for example?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
As expected it's going to be a hybrid and i'm totally ok with it, after all i was always saying(honestly i was expecting) that vita should have been something like PSTV+dekavita but better, but sony instead of improving the idea of the tv output present on the PSP completely removed it.
af3f52d1d60210874dd18a5af315301e1415776027_full.jpg

(dekavita is a handheld body with controls and screen for the PSTV, so you can use PSTV as a home console attached to a tv or as a handheld attached to dekavita)

This is much better than my cut up Wii U mockup and the similar one from Tom Philips.
I did your idea with a Wii U gamepad:

EEOrYt7.jpg

They could literally call this Wii U 2, what could go wrong!
Hell, they could attach 2 more controllers on the remaining sides and launch with a port of Warlords.
This wont be it, this clown toy thing

Brinbe

I think it's best not to think of it as a hybrid. It's a handheld with hdmi output or whatever they use, since that pick up and play on the go "gimmick" will be selling factor. I think the selling point will be to see how the handheld itself holds up in terms of form-factor/ergonomics/battery life and if people with smartphones will want to carry this thing around as a secondary device too.

If it's unwieldy and garbage, then that robs half of the potential of the thing and then you're just stuck with an underpowered home console.

Hilarion

Anyway, this is pretty much exactly what I was wanting out of the next Nintendo system. I've always preferred handhelds to consoles and the 3DS is getting...archaic...so the NX being a handheld something like 50 times stronger than the 3DS that can hook up to a console is a pretty ideal situation.

21XX

Banned
Not when its docked

The "brains" are apparently in the handheld portion so docking wouldn't provide any additional boost, no?

As for the concept as a whole, I'm pretty ok with it. Makes sense from a business perspective to consolidate the handheld/home consoles and if I can buy one system and get all the hits, I'm all for it. I thought about potentially buying an NX the other day and oddly enough the two games that got me most excited were Animal Crossing and Mario Golf.

I suppose my biggest question is why does Nintendo feel the need to be different from a hardware perspective?

It can boost sales (Wii) but it can also kill them (Wii U). They're SUCH innovative game designers I think their games grab enough attention, you don't need to try and have it on the hardware side as well.

balohna

My biggest worry is it'll be expensive to the point where casual players that primarily play handhelds (they do exist - I know a few people with a 3DS that don't really play console games) will be left out, or it will make less sense for a household to own multiple of the things.

Hoping for a handheld-only SKU, mostly so families can share a single dock but still have their own portable devices.

Part of me also wants different form factors too - like a smaller one with non-detachable controls. Hoping the "dock" is more of a wireless TV connection than an actual dock, because multiple screened controllers could be neat.

DOWN

Banned
The fact that this system will automatically be less dated than the DS and 3DS makes it a beauty

Like a pretty Pokemon game that isn't 240p

God I can't believe 240p games are still around in 2016 thanks to Nintendo

Parham

Banned
People who are interpreting the RE5 Android TV analysis video as a sign of what's to come didn't pay attention to DigitalFoundry's conclusions.

Considering this is supposedly to be a portable that has to be sold to kids, A phablet with detachable controls sounds like a nightmare portability wise....

MDX

If its NVIDIA, can we talk about nvlink?

the Pascal GPU has new technologies such as 3D stacked memory and the NVLink interconnect, which can bring big performance and power efficiency gains to Nvidia's Tegra chips.

In addition to speeding CPU-to-GPU communications for systems with an NVLink CPU connection, NVLink can have significant performance benefit for GPU-to-GPU (peer-to-peer) communications as well. A second new NVIDIA white paper focuses on these peer-to-peer benefits from NVLink, showing how systems with next-generation NVLink-interconnected GPUs are projected to deliver considerable application speedup compared to systems with GPUs interconnected via PCIe.

Which might be what Nintendo was looking for in a hybrid system.
And if they want backwards compatibility:

IBM plans to add NVLink to select Power microprocessors

haha, it literally is an nvidia shield, just with a slightly different approach to dockable controllers.

wouldn't be surprised if the next iteration of it matched the nx spec for spec.

not sure why this was a big secret. all they needed to say is "we're going to make an nvidia shield and put nintendo games on it".

It sounds lazy when you say it that way.

imo this just makes so much sense. Nintendo don't need to create powerful expensive hardware just to enter a pissing contest with Sony and Microsoft who are both fiercely engaged in dominating that space. For a long time now, both the Wii U and the 3DS have been marketed by Nintendo and recognised by fans as Nintendo machines, and that is fine. Neither console gets big third party support from the West, but they each have a variety of third party exclusives to add on top of the first party output, which is excellent.

A system that focuses all of Nintendo's dev resources in one place to deliver Nintendo games and third party exclusives to an audience that is clearly happy with their Nintendo machines (based on 3DS sales) seems like a very smart idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom