• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

qmMZ36O.jpg

Site | App Store
Take control of a one-armed warrior named Sasha, wielding a living sword on her journey through a nightmare world in search of her family. Swipe-based touch controls will let you solve puzzles, find secrets, and do battle with a host of disturbing monsters. As the journey goes on, you’ll unlock new abilities, ascend an RPG-style upgrade tree, and tease apart the mysteries of the dark fantasy universe Sasha finds herself in.
Severed_Screenshot_01.png
Severed_Screenshot_02.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

man, Severed is just oozing atmosphere

loving it so far
Picked this up on iPad, and it's so freaking good. Kind of funny how I had dismissed this at first, probably because I'm so used to mobile games and really tired of Fruit Ninja/Infinity Blade-style gameplay

But holy shit, this is fantastic. The eldritch nightmarish world of grotesque creatures and fleshy flora (fever dream is the perfect description). The memorable juxtaposition of vibrant colorful palette and dark haunting moments (
finding your brother's corpse, having to eat a heart to upgrade your health, etc.
). The dungeon-crawler-style world and exploration, with its mix of light puzzles and RPG elements

And of course, the aspect that had intitially turned me off when I first saw gameplay, aka the (awesome) combat. It's so satisfying, from the tense enemy management to the precision needed to take down each enemy. Slicing limbs off never gets old.

I'm currently on the second boss.
Severed is fantastic. Glad I purchased it. I feel that is is Infinity Blade taken to another level. Severing limbs and wearing them for upgrades is neat. The combat is rich and deep. Story seems to be emotional. Movement works better than expected and is very easy and comfortable. You find better equipment as you move around. You can also explore the map to find stuff. You tap on both edges of the screen to turn left or right, tap on the middle of the screen to move forward and swipe with two fingers to look freely. But there is no free roam. But you decide where to move and when. And you can explore branches and look around. Never played it on any other platform so it was a must for me, glad I am playing.

Po0TiMK.jpg

Site | App Store
Snakebird is a very simple but deceptively challenging puzzle game about assuming the right shapes for the task at hand, be it pushing, lifting, teleporting or just defying the laws of physics.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I always thought I was good at puzzlers, snakebird makes me think otherwise.
I think Snakebird is going to make me lose my mind.
It's adorable, isn't it? It's large, but it evokes a very friendly, inviting atmosphere. At first look, this is the kind of game you'd expect to see on your child's iPad or iPod touch, right?

Wrong again. This is just the selection of which of the 9 circles of Hell you'd like to traverse through first
Beneath Snakebird's colorful friendly aesthetic lies one devious puzzle game. Snakebird never evolves beyond moving and twisting those colorful birds, but uses that seemingly simple mechanic to deliver an incredibly tricky puzzler. A single puzzle could take an hour or more, but it's always satisfying to figure out the game's spatial challenges. Don't be fooled by its cutesy facade; this is an amazing gem of a puzzler

jyr6Eav.jpg

Site | App Store
A relaxing experience, loaded with a lot of features.
Your goal is to connect different types of lines together.
Calming music and sounds were made by Wojciech Wasiak.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Klocki is fantastic
Yes it is, a minimalist and clever puzzler. Dont know how many levels but so far I can see how much love the developers poured into it. Going to play some more
Klocki is great. I bought his older puzzle game too

tLHrcCB.jpg

Site | App Store
Road Not Taken is a puzzle game about surviving life's surprises. You play as a ranger adventuring through a vast, unforgiving forest in the aftermath of a brutal winter storm, rescuing children who have lost their way. Randomly generated levels deliver a limitless supply of possibilities to explore and challenges to overcome. Your actions will influence not only your own story, but that of the villagers you hope to befriend and the town you call home
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

In the last hour I just lost myself in the gorgeous and spooky forests of Road not Taken.
I wasn't sure what to expect but I was blown away.

Something is happening in that forest, and I'll discover what.

It's a mix of Nightmare Cooperative, Triple Town and Year Walk.
Looks and sounds amazing too.
A bit puzzle game, a bit crafting game, a bit adventure.

Loving it so far, can't wait to discover more secrets.
Yes, a puzzle roguelike that takes Triple Town's item-combining mechanic and gives it a strategic movement-based twist. You need to save children in the woods, combining items to create new ones to solve puzzles, defeat enemies, etc.
I have Road Not Taken on PS4 (it was a PS+ freebie) and it's a decent game but didn't hold my interest long. I probably need to give it another try one of these days though.

HTBCIuI.jpg

Site | App Store
The award winning Super Stickman Golf series is back and better than ever! Super Stickman Golf 3 is packed full of new courses, power ups, collectable cards, game modes, multiplayer madness and a ton of new surprises for you to discover. It’s a new spin on a classic game!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Super Stickman Golf 3 is pretty fantastic, like previous games. Very fair f2p model, with a premium unlock.
Stickman Golf 3 is a lot of fun. It's essentially more of the same, but more polished and with some interesting additions. While I was hesitant to see that card mechanic, it's actually pretty solid and you unlock stuff at a nice rate. The cards add some meaningful customization, different perks and such. First hat I got gives a me a preview of my shot, very useful

NLZeLV2.jpg

Site | App Store
Phoenix 2 is a blistering arcade Shoot'Em Up with jaw-dropping graphics where you defeat waves of increasingly menacing enemies in daily new missions.
40 ships to collect and upgrade. Each ship has its own unique weapons and two special abilities. Find and upgrade the ship that fits your play style and matches up well in the missions.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Phoenix II takes the same basic concept of Phoenix I but transforms it in deep, meaningful ways. You no longer play random waves each time you start a new game, instead you play a randomly generated series of levels that changes every day. This way you'll be competing with other players on a daily basis. On top of that, they've changed the way ships work. They can all be upgraded and are unlocked either with coins that you get every day or via a daily random unlock.

Given the huge selection of ships, slick bullet-hell gameplay and fantastic-looking graphics this is a free-to-play that's fair and that I can see myself playing for a long, long time a little bit every day.

If you're a fan of shoot-em-up, bullet-hell or the first Phoenix I, you have to check it out.

r2ZPjSh.jpg

Site | App Store
Become the ultimate Dungeon Master as you bribe, entice and coax your heroes through their adventures on a quest to restore your guild to its ultimate glory! Guild of Dungeoneering is a unique turn-based RPG with a twist: instead of controlling the hero, you build the dungeon around him. Using cards drawn from your Guild decks, you lay down rooms, monsters, traps and of course loot! Meanwhile your hero is making his own decisions on where to go and what to fight. But will he be strong enough to take on the dungeon's overlord?
In between dungeon runs and card based battles, manage your Guild building new rooms to attract new classes of adventurer and to expand your decks of cards with more powerful items and events.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Guild of Dungeoneering is actually pretty decent. The gameplay is simple enough and the narrator and dialogue are chuckle worthy. While not much, there is some strategy involved in the combat.
===
Anyways, I'm currently enjoying Guild of Dungeoneering, going the later dungeons is quite hectic and difficult. The bruiser is easily the best starting class in the game, blocking attacks to fire back damage has saved me a number of times. The luck factor involved with combat is slightly annoying but it is supposed to be the challenging aspect of the game.

ImJpRBg.jpg

Site | App Store
Orbyss is mesmerizing, beautiful, and challenging. You’ll carve a chaotic path while piloting a twisting ribbon ever further into the abyss. It will probably make your brain feel weird. You bend the ribbon and the ribbon bends you
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Orbyss - I have no idea how to play this after trying it for 5 minutes. It looks amazing and has some nice audio design.

nZy9eyc.jpg

Site | App Store
Quell Zen - the very embodiment of relaxing logic games - features over 200 beautifully crafted challenges.
This serene puzzler has you guiding raindrops through a series of colorful mazes. Enhanced by atmospheric orchestral music, the game's subtle, sophisticated mechanics evolve as you navigate its many levels, delivering an absorbing experience that's familiar but always fresh.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

FgqTSYc.png

Site | App Store
kubic is a relaxing optical illusion puzzle game based on M.C. Escher's art, impossible objects and other geometric designs. The object is to construct the goal configuration from a number of pieces.
Presented in a simple, clean design and minimalistic art, kubic is a premium game with no ads or in-app purchases. It's just your brain and 60 escher-esque puzzles.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

uUIIqTb.jpg

Site | App Store
Multi-award winning 2D horror puzzle adventure about a boy with a glowing head.
One gloomy night, Bulb Boy wakes suddenly from a frightening nightmare to discover that evil has overshadowed the Bulbhouse. His family has disappeared and there are horrid monsters lurking in the shadows. Gather the courage and use his glass head to save everything he loves. Find light in yourself!

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

arcArvp.jpg

Site | App Store
TIME LOCKER is the endless arcade shooter.
Time scale is changed by you move.
Let's strange battle with one finger !!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

zN0w2bf.png

Site | App Store
Linia is a colorful puzzle game that mixes a relaxing atmosphere with brain melting challenges.
In Linia, you create color sequences by tracing a line connecting coloured shapes. Sounds easy enough, right? Not quite. Imagine when colors are running around, revolving, hiding, changing shape and doing everything they can to avoid being caught by your line. It will take skill and sense of rhythm to get the sequence right. Are you up for the challenge?

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

3qv6mag.jpg

Site | App Store
Cubway is a journey with an abstract story of lifecycle of rebirth, called Samsara. Guide the cube through the long way full of dangers and difficulties, visit many interesting and mysterious places.
Mechanics of the game are concentrated around different types of interaction with the obstacles. Some of them are: finding correct spot to overcome the obstacles, blowing them, correct timing of your movement, avoiding dangers, changing your movement directions by the switchers and many more.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

PjLXGOt.png

Site | App Store
Turn pieces and blend colors in this minimal yet visually stunning puzzler.
Over 200 handcrafted and challenging levels.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

Blitz Breaker - August 1st
One Show Only - August 4th
To The Throne - August 4th
Eisenhorn: Xenos - August 10th
Reigns - August 11th
Deus Ex Go - August 18th
Legend of the Skyfish - August 18th
Leap of Fate - August 18th
Space Marshals 2 - August 25th
Lost Maze
Journey Below

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming July 2016 | Freedom to necrodance the night away
iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here
iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests
iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold
iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits
iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot
iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

I am so glad that all the feedback from snakebird is people losing their minds over its difficulty. I only got through like 3 stages when it came to pc so it is good to know I am not the only person who really struggled with it.

awp69

Thanks MB!

Oh, and for those with Apple TV (or Shield TV), Riptide: Renegades comes out Tuesday.

Don't think a date has yet been announced on iOS, but it is coming.

r3n4ud

Lordy does Severed look awesomesauce. But, I know as soon as I pick it up, a pc version will popup. And I prefer to play on pc.

Hm, think I'll dive in anyways!

Lordy does Severed look awesomesauce. But, I know as soon as I pick it up, a pc version will popup. And I prefer to play on pc.

Hm, think I'll dive in anyways!
I really think it's one of those games that would lose part of its identity on PC. The touch controls adds to the combat, not just merely a means of combat. And that is enhanced on iPad

r3n4ud

I really think it's one of those games that would lose part of its identity on PC. The touch controls adds to the combat, not just merely a means of combat. And that is enhanced on iPad
I'll give it a shot on iOS. And hey, if/when it comes to pc, I can always pick it up as well.

Hey iOS peoples, looking for some good suggestions on decent turn based rpgs or strategy games to play. 2 caveats though, looking for stuff that has no F2P stuff at all (barring like pay to remove ads or whatever) and something that's playable vertically. I find the iPhone game I enjoy the most are ones I can play on one handed while on the train or between calls at work.

Hey iOS peoples, looking for some good suggestions on decent turn based rpgs or strategy games to play. 2 caveats though, looking for stuff that has no F2P stuff at all (barring like pay to remove ads or whatever) and something that's playable vertically. I find the iPhone game I enjoy the most are ones I can play on one handed while on the train or between calls at work.
The portrait part will really lower the number of potential games, these are pretty good

Hoplite
Battle of Polytopia
Card Crawl

The portrait part will really lower the number of potential games, these are pretty good

Hoplite
Battle of Polytopia
Card Crawl
Yeah I'm finding in hunting around for games pretty much everything is landscape. I just find its so much more comfortable to play games on the phone in portrait mode.

Will def check those out, actually has Hoptile on my radar to pick up soonish.

Yeah I'm finding in hunting around for games pretty much everything is landscape. I just find its so much more comfortable to play games on the phone in portrait mode.

Will def check those out, actually has Hoptile on my radar to pick up soonish.
Also check out

You Must Build A Boat
Dungelot Shattered Lands
Air Attack 2

sheaaaa

Enhanced on iPad as opposed to Vita? Did they add anything?

sheaaaa

Just feels better to play on the iPad, kind of how Papers Please just felt like a perfect fit for touch. The larger screen, more space to swipe, etc.

Ah sure, makes sense. Was there any button control on Vita? Wonder how that translates to pure touch. I bought it on Vita when it came out but like you said, larger screen.

okno

I am so glad that all the feedback from snakebird is people losing their minds over its difficulty. I only got through like 3 stages when it came to pc so it is good to know I am not the only person who really struggled with it.

Snakebird is a game I love to hate. I'm absolutely stuck, and I'm four levels in. I can't progress. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works. But it has to work! It must! I will beat it!

Even if it kills me...

Snakebird is a game I love to hate. I'm absolutely stuck, and I'm four levels in. I can't progress. I've tried everything I can think of, but nothing works. But it has to work! It must! I will beat it!

Even if it kills me...
I had made it to level 14 last week. Are you stuck on level 4 or 5?

Shearie

Even if it kills me...

The only way to truly beat Snakebird is to not play Snakebird...

okno

I had made it to level 14 last week. Are you stuck on level 4 or 5?

Level 5. Got frustrated with it so I tried level 10. Backed the eff out and then tried 1*. I then spent the rest of the evening curled in a ball in the corner of my room.

So, iOS Gaming GAF - I'm thinking about picking up an iPad Mini 4.

Should I go for it? Or should I wait for the presumed Apple event next month for a Mini 5 or Pro Mini or whatever?

So, iOS Gaming GAF - I'm thinking about picking up an iPad Mini 4.

Should I go for it? Or should I wait for the presumed Apple event next month for a Mini 5 or Pro Mini or whatever?

I dont think the iPads will be announced in september. Probably late oct/early nov.

I am thinking of removing Snakebird and never look back again

Level 5. Got frustrated with it so I tried level 10. Backed the eff out and then tried 1*. I then spent the rest of the evening curled in a ball in the corner of my room.
Some tips:
- Always consider the current length of your bird. If you're at an edge, consider if your bird's head is on top on the bottom. If it's on the bottom, means you can coil back onto the platform without dropping. If it's on top means your snakebird will drop down when you coil back. Important to consider when there are spikes around
- Think like Tetris. When you fall off a ledge, what shape is your bird in? How will its shape fit in with the shape of the environment below?
- I often find each level has a moment when you realize what you need to do, and the challenge becomes how to do it. Don't be afraid of the Undo button to test different permutations and experiment your way to a solution

As for level 5, here's a hint:
http://i.imgur.com/fhoJZ99.png

heringer

Steins;Gate in english for iOS is great news. I've only watched the anime adaptation, but the story is fantastic. People say the novel is even better.

Hopefully they bring Steins;Gate Zero eventually.

okno

Some tips:
- Always consider the current length of your bird. If you're at an edge, consider if your bird's head is on top on the bottom. If it's on the bottom, means you can coil back onto the platform without dropping. If it's on top means your snakebird will drop down when you coil back. Important to consider when there are spikes around
- Think like Tetris. When you fall off a ledge, what shape is your bird in? How will its shape fit in with the shape of the environment below?
- I often find each level has a moment when you realize what you need to do, and the challenge becomes how to do it. Don't be afraid of the Undo button to test different permutations and experiment your way to a solution

As for level 5, here's a hint:
http://i.imgur.com/fhoJZ99.png

I actually just realized I beat level 5 a while ago. I'm stuck on 6/10/1*. Level 6 is just what the bloody hell hard. I've analyzed it so hard and can't figure it out for the life of me!

I actually just realized I beat level 5 a while ago. I'm stuck on 6/10/1*. Level 6 is just what the bloody hell hard. I've analyzed it so hard and can't figure it out for the life of me!
Could you post a pic of 6? Don't have my iPad on me at the moment to see which one that was

Matt Frost

Game is excellent. An easy recommendation from me. Played the PC demo a while back: the controls are simple but require timing and precision, new mechanics are introduced at a solid rate, and speedrunning is satisfying

Bought! Been waiting for this one :)

Finally Year 9 in Road not Taken!!!!

Now it's getting pretty intense.
What a gem!

I really like it as well. Have on the PS4 but iOS is the best version (keeps your progress). Is like they took out of the core of Zelda, made it a roguelike (only on the "hard" mode, unlocked once you finish the easier one) and poured in some elements from Year Walk and Triple Town. The game is also extremely polished... every animation is very detailed and the story seems to unfold nicely. Gameplay is a combination of many genres molded into perfection. I really like it.

PittaGAF

I really like it as well. Have on the PS4 but iOS is the best version (keeps your progress). Is like they took out of the core of Zelda, made it a roguelike (only on the "hard" mode, unlocked once you finish the easier one) and poured in some elements from Year Walk and Triple Town. The game is also extremely polished... every animation is very detailed and the story seems to unfold nicely. Gameplay is a combination of many genres molded into perfection. I really like it.

Yeah I'm surprised not to read a lot more about it.
Would be cool to exchange the discoveries.

I'm in LOVE.
As you said animations are fantastic.

Which year are you on?
After a while you will find a puzzle in the puzzle.
Besides normal rooms there is always a handcrafted/story (I guess) room that requires specific items to be solved (items as the one you receive in town).
Awesome.

I'm not sure I would like the rogue like super hard version (unlocked at year 5).
So far the normal difficulty is pretty hard as it is.

BUT to be honest 'normal' just removes the chore to re do previous years, everything else seems the same to me.
And to be honest, once you 'crack' a year doing it again is pretty straightforward.

Great game anyway, can't wait to reach year 15.

Matt Frost

Blitz Breaker is amazing. 15 levels in and I am in love with it. Reminds me a little bit off AppStore classic The Last Rocket. Level design is top and is a joy to play. I love it. Having a blast.

What a great iOS week: Road Not Taken, Severed, Blitz Breaker... and Blyss and Orbyss as well. And Epic Flail is on sale... bought!! Perfect gaming (+ ABZÛ) to wait for No Man's Sky :D

Yeah I'm surprised not to read a lot more about it.
Would be cool to exchange the discoveries.

I'm in LOVE.
As you said animations are fantastic.

Which year are you on?
After a while you will find a puzzle in the puzzle.
Besides normal rooms there is always a handcrafted/story (I guess) room that requires specific items to be solved (items as the one you receive in town).
Awesome.

I'm not sure I would like the rogue like super hard version (unlocked at year 5).
So far the normal difficulty is pretty hard as it is.

BUT to be honest 'normal' just removes the chore to re do previous years, everything else seems the same to me.
And to be honest, once you 'crack' a year doing it again is pretty straightforward.

Great game anyway, can't wait to reach year 15.

Year 14? I thought it only had 4 :O Ok so I can dive in more often knowing that is not that short. Good to know. So far I am having a blast!

If I recall, you need to climb up the two platforms on the right, then fall down next to the spikes head-up vertically, turn left to grab the fruit, slither through the narrow opening, loop back around and then go to the exit. I'll post a pic when I get to my iPad

okno

If I recall, you need to climb up the two platforms on the right, then fall down next to the spikes head-up vertically, turn left to grab the fruit, slither through the narrow opening, loop back around and then go to the exit. I'll post a pic when I get to my iPad

My god, it worked. It really worked! So simple, and yet so endlessly frustrating.

bjork

I like Time Locker. It's basically a vertically scrolling shooting with the time-freeze element from Superhot, but with a crawl coming from behind ala Crossy Road/Pac-Man 256 to keep you from going back too much. You start out as just a guy, but you can unlock other forms with their own different weapon at the start. The enemies appear to just be animals and maybe a giant robot? I couldn't tell because he killed me. But this seems like a cool quick-play game.

awp69

Blitz Breaker is amazing. 15 levels in and I am in love with it. Reminds me a little bit off AppStore classic The Last Rocket. Level design is top and is a joy to play. I love it. Having a blast.

What a great iOS week: Road Not Taken, Severed, Blitz Breaker... and Blyss and Orbyss as well. And Epic Flail is on sale... bought!! Perfect gaming (+ ABZÛ) to wait for No Man's Sky :D

Might have to bite on Blitz Breaker.

But also gotta watch my spending. Was thinking of getting the Sheild TV version of Riptide Renegades but sounds like it may not be as good as the PS4 version.

And No Man's Sky -- kind of worried it won't live up to the hype, but hopefully it will!

Might have to bite on Blitz Breaker.

But also gotta watch my spending. Was thinking of getting the Sheild TV version of Riptide Renegades but sounds like it may not be as good as the PS4 version.

And No Man's Sky -- kind of worried it won't live up to the hype, but hopefully it will!
Depends on why you're hyped. All I wanted was cool planets to explore, weird aliens to find, and cool sci-fi secrets. All the streams and impressions have basically confirmed that

Top Bottom