• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Metroid 2 Remake (Project AM2R) |OT| Best Birthday Ever!

I just wanted to check before I ran anything, but is this game an actual .exe file? I found a working download link on the forums and downloaded and scanned an .rar file, but it's got a bunch of stuff inside including a named .exe file to run the game, I guess.

I was under the impression that this was a romhack, but it doesn't seem to be playable on an emulator.

Can anyone confirm?

It's an exe file. The game was made with GameMaker and is not a romhack.

TheMoon

I just wanted to check before I ran anything, but is this game an actual .exe file? I found a working download link on the forums and downloaded and scanned an .rar file, but it's got a bunch of stuff inside including a named .exe file to run the game, I guess.

I was under the impression that this was a romhack, but it doesn't seem to be playable on an emulator.

Can anyone confirm?
am2rfolderkts5k.jpg

Stoze

Welp, beat it with 90% items. I was planning on going back for 100%, but unfortunately I'd have to backtrack way, way back to the other side of the map. I don't know why he didn't put a
morph ball teleporter
over there, even though I'm sure it's not in the original.

I've never played Metroid 2 so everything was fresh for me, but I really enjoyed it and thought the level design aged well. I thought the bosses were pretty good, despite some of them being offscreen 80% of the time and/or having some annoying attacks. On the plus side I felt like I actually room to breathe and move around most of the time which was a nice change. The Metroid fights could've been better, as mentioned the damage spots are very precise. Controls, visuals, and music were sublime for the most part, felt right at home.

Overall it felt very polished and I'm really impressed. I'd have to play Fusion again and Zero Mission to compare, but from what I remember it feels pretty close to those in terms of quality imo.

timshundo

TC9G7uw.jpg

UGH I HATE METROID BATTLES. They just kept coming up, a whole string of them one by one. Didn't save, lost so much progress.

How did these bosses make it through all the demos all the way to 1.0!?

Does anyone know how many energy tanks you should have at this point? I have 5. Should I also have the ice beam by now? Did I forget it somewhere??

Link_enfant

Is there any way to prevent Samus from walking instead of running when you're holding any button, especially the shoot and diagonal aim buttons? I want to run while aiming and shoot/charge freely

Stoze

Is there any way to prevent Samus from walking instead of running when you're holding any button, especially the shoot and diagonal aim buttons? I want to run while aiming and shoot/charge freely

Don't use the lock button? Otherwise not sure what you mean.

TC9G7uw.jpg

UGH I HATE METROID BATTLES. They just kept coming up, a whole string of them one by one. Didn't save, lost so much progress.

How did these bosses make it through all the demos all the way to 1.0!?

Does anyone know how many energy tanks you should have at this point? I have 5. Should I also have the ice beam by now? Did I forget it somewhere??

The entire metroid 2 game was built around hunting down the metroid to extinction. It's only being true to the game it's a remake of with all those metroid battles.

timshundo

The entire metroid 2 game was built around hunting down the metroid to extinction. It's only being true to the game it's a remake of with all those metroid battles.

Sorry it's not the amount of metroid battles, it's why the metroids themselves are sporadic and hard to kill (and you can only use missles!?) with tiny hitboxes.

From what everyone's saying though it looks like I'm not alone on this. There's no fun in the battles. Just frustration. :/

Link_enfant

Don't use the lock button? Otherwise not sure what you mean.

As soon as I'm holding any button, whether it's the shoot, jump, aim diagonally or any other one, Samus will walk instead of running and I'm not sure that's intended.
Once I'm running fast enough with the speed booster at least it doesn't happen, but still, I wonder where that comes from.

Also, am I the only one having this slow/glitched saving animation I mentioned in my last post?

Stoze

Sorry it's not the amount of metroid battles, it's why the metroids themselves are sporadic and hard to kill (and you can only use missles!?) with tiny hitboxes.

From what everyone's saying though it looks like I'm not alone on this. There's no fun in the battles. Just frustration. :/

I still liked them overall even though they are kinda awkward. Most of them are placed in rooms with enough space so you can leap over them when they get low, turn around, crouch, then spam fire missiles diagonally. Crouching before shooting helps a lot to get that sweet spot even though it gimps your movement.

As soon as I'm holding any button, whether it's the shoot, jump, aim diagonally or any other one, Samus will walk instead of running and I'm not sure that's intended.
Once I'm running fast enough with the speed booster at least it doesn't happen, but still, I wonder where that comes from.

Also, am I the only one having this slow/glitched saving animation I mentioned in my last post?

Yeah that sounds like it glitched and you're stuck on lock-on for some reason. I'd reset the controls in the options and restart.

Maybe I lucked out but I didn't experience a single glitch to my knowledge, no crashes, and didn't get any noticeable framedrops.

Madao

i finished with 100% in one night (actually, i beat it with 95% and went back for the last 5%)

i liked this game. definitely the best Metroid game made in the last 11 years. i got a very complex feeling midway through it. it was an unique experience. the closest i have experienced was when i played F-Zero X Expansion Kit and Zelda OoT Master Quest (i guess it has something to do with games not easily obtainable and unique).

overall i think the only problematic thing was the Omega Metroids. their attacks are quite cheap since they can stunlock you easily and their hitbox for damage is very small (the hitbox on their back is practically impossible to hit reliably. i had to resort to tanking his weaker attacks from the front to shoot it)

the game is definitley up there with ZM as far as my personal ranking goes (my #1 is Fusion, followed by ZM. this would come after that)

one issue i had was that the game didn't recognize the PS4's D-Pad and i had to play with the stick. it made a lot of things harder than normal early on. did anyone have this problem?

Link_enfant

i finished with 100% in one night (actually, i beat it with 95% and went back for the last 5%)

i liked this game. definitely the best Metroid game made in the last 11 years. i got a very complex feeling midway through it. it was an unique experience. the closest i have experienced was when i played F-Zero X Expansion Kit and Zelda OoT Master Quest (i guess it has something to do with games not easily obtainable and unique).

overall i think the only problematic thing was the Omega Metroids. their attacks are quite cheap since they can stunlock you easily and their hitbox for damage is very small (the hitbox on their back is practically impossible to hit reliably. i had to resort to tanking his weaker attacks from the front to shoot it)

the game is definitley up there with ZM as far as my personal ranking goes (my #1 is Fusion, followed by ZM. this would come after that)

one issue i had was that the game didn't recognize the PS4's D-Pad and i had to play with the stick. it made a lot of things harder than normal early on. did anyone have this problem?

I had this problem too, but JoyToKey fixed it pretty easily.
You'd have definitely enjoyed the game even more with D-pad imo.
Did you have the same issue as me regarding the inability to run while holding another button? (mentioned it in my last posts just above)
I can't tell if it's related to DS4, JoyToKey or the controller settings in-game.

Madao

I had this problem too, but JoyToKey fixed it pretty easily.
You'd have definitely enjoyed the game even more with D-pad imo.
Did you have the same issue as me regarding the inability to run while holding another button? (mentioned it in my last posts just above)
I can't tell if it's related to DS4, JoyToKey or the controller settings in-game.

nope. only issue i had was not detecting the d-pad. everything else worked well all the way through the game after i configured the rest of the controls (i set most things to match Zero Mission's controls).

I played till pretty late last night, but I got stuck on the
Arachnus
boss.

He killed me twice, I read the file and it says I have to
lift him with bombs? It just doesn't seem possible, I only have the standard bombs right now

Have I missed something?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Arachnus
boss.

lift him with bombs? It just doesn't seem possible, I only have the standard bombs right now

Have I missed something?

When he has been damaged enough by beam attacks, he starts rolling back and forth along the ground. If he rolls over a morph ball bomb, it bounces him into the air. Do it enough times and he crashes into the electric spikes at the top of the screen. Do that three times to win.
He's a difficult boss to beat if you try going for him as soon as meeting him. I went and found the
Varia Suit
, came back, and found him much easier.

Madao

Arachnus
boss.

Have I missed something?

just go ham with regular bombs and dodge him to not die. they'll hit him. that's how i won lol.

Nachos

Arachnus
boss.

Have I missed something?

Think of him as a morph ball.

More blatant hint:
He can be propelled by multiple bombs.

Arkanius

Man the
Omega
Metroids are a bitch.
I'm on the
Birthing
Grounds and I'm having an hard time. I hate how can they stunlock you to death.

Man the
Omega
Metroids are a bitch.
I'm on the
Birthing

The small entrance and a little patience with a solid aim is your saving grace. With timing of your shots omega is actually one of the easier metroids to fight.

Zunnoab

Neo Member
Man the
Omega
Metroids are a bitch.
I'm on the
Birthing
They can't stunlock you to death. If you hit jump just as you hit the ground you can recover. They will hit you a lot to be sure, but they will not perma-lock you.

For ammo reasons on hard it may be
necessary to hit the weak spot on their backs, but I found the most reliable albeit sloppy way to win is to just avoid what you can but tank hits and fire diagonally near their front into their chest with super missiles. Make sure each hit connects and don't run out of super missiles and you will kill them in short order. If you're on hard, that probably doesn't help though.

I realize you beat it, but a lot of people do not seem to know about the "hit jump when you are knocked to the ground to recover" trick.

Madao

while not to death, their stunlock is very deadly. makes face-to-face combat very risky (these make the OM at the end of Fusion look like a pushover for first timers in comparison.)

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Okay wow.
I just got my ass handed to me by that levitating eye robot in the factory.

Any tips on how to kill it? I barely did damage. By the time I destroyed any one of the four arms that shot something, I barely got any shots into the core.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Okay wow.
I just got my ass handed to me by that levitating eye robot in the factory.

Any tips on how to kill it? I barely did damage. By the time I destroyed any one of the four arms that shot something, I barely got any shots into the core.
Once the shilds are off use your plasma beam to hit it, no rockets

I've been stuck for quite a while now, running all over the place. There's a few places I can't go yet because of missing items, but I can't find said items. The unlocks I have/still need:

DO HAVE - Power Suit, Varia Suit, DON'T HAVE - Lava Suit or something?
DO HAVE - Charge Beam, Spazer Beam, DON'T HAVE - Three remaning beams, one of them I guess is Ice
DO HAVE - All misc power-ups BESIDES Power-bombs
I also have all the boot upgrades

If anyone could give me a gentle push towards the order in which I can find the items to keep moving forward, that would be great...

TheMoon

I've been stuck for quite a while now, running all over the place. There's a few places I can't go yet because of missing items, but I can't find said items. The unlocks I have/still need:

DO HAVE - Power Suit, Varia Suit, DON'T HAVE - Lava Suit or something?
DO HAVE - Charge Beam, Spazer Beam, DON'T HAVE - Three remaning beams, one of them I guess is Ice
DO HAVE - All misc power-ups BESIDES Power-bombs
I also have all the boot upgrades

If anyone could give me a gentle push towards the order in which I can find the items to keep moving forward, that would be great...

How did you miss the Wave Beam?! You get that between Charge and Spazer.

Map:
All right MAP IS DONE

I may have missed some of the double-missiles (where there are two missiles on one screen), but everything should be 100% correct (I don't think I did).

http://i.imgur.com/QQMpmjc.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I missed the Wave Beam as well. I feel like it is in the
the Hydro Area
because there's lots of rooms I can access through the pipes but not actually get into, but I can't find my way in. Best I've found is some blocks that have the Screw Attack icon on in the side of a downwards corridor, but obviously I can't access that.

EDIT: Don't tell me though! Want to figure it out myself. :p

TheMoon

I missed the Wave Beam as well. I feel like it is in the
the Hydro Area
because there's lots of rooms I can access through the pipes
but not actually get into, but I can't find my way in. Best I've found is some blocks that have the Screw Attack icon on in the side of a downwards corridor, but obviously I can't access that.

Let's just say you're not wrong.

edit god damnit. don't read lol

SerTapTap

Just finished the
escape sequence
after getting power bombs, absolutely love this. Livestreamed the whole thing so far, I'll probably stream the whole game.

Amazing how much I enjoy this after being almost 100% turned off by the gameboy game. It's really a whole new game, even moreso than Zero Mission. This game also does the "linear metroid" thing a lot better than Fusion IMO--it's similar in vague concept, but the lack of elevators and a main hub mean you're not really forced to think about the linearity. But in this case it's probably like that because of no map in the original.

Impressive there's already a complete map. Friend of mine sent it to me on twitter while I was playing but I'm not peeking until I beat the game at least.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Found the Wave Beam - it was exactly where I thought it was and I'm kicking myself for not noticing the slightly higher entrance rather than only the lower exit. Went back to fight
The Tester
. Still got my ass kicked. Feel like this is bad design at this point - you can't possibly dodge the bullet hell attacks in the air, so you get forced to the ground, where you can't attack or even see your opponent. You can only go after it if it uses the green lazer or missile attacks, because all the rest make the aerial ascent too damaging, and often by the time you get there it goes back to bullet hell again. The save room is so far away the entire affair is rather tedious. Definitely the low point of the game for me.
Torizo
had my number for a while until I got
Spazer
, but I don't feel like I'm missing much now - I have no white circles left to go get items from, only dots, and no black map spaces unaccounted for. Not really sure what to do other than go through the rigmarole of getting back to the Tower again.

Found the Wave Beam - it was exactly where I thought it was and I'm kicking myself for not noticing the slightly higher entrance rather than only the lower exit.

So uh do you need the screw attack for this or no? Because I looked at the map and that seems be be somewhere else entirely, not remotely where I can get to yet :p

So confused.

Edit: also oh. Apparently something opened up, because I can access an entire area I havent seen before yet. There's not even a door in the way ><

antun

Just finished the game on hard mode. I loved the challenge and thought the difficult metroid fights were fun and I really felt like a bounty hunter when I finally managed to kill them after being defeated several times.

Tips for killing the
Omega Metroids

Jump and then directly shoot a missile. If you time it correctly you´ll hit every time. And when it comes closer you just jump over and keep doing that. If you hit around 12 (?) super missiles it dies but I only had 8 so I had to shoot some normal missiles too.

Just learn the patterns. Even though the enemies are erratic you can kinda understand what they will do when you do certain stuff.

Last boss was amazing by the way. All love for the people who made this. Only thing I didn´t like was the music. It could have been better but I feel stupid for complaining. Hehe.

TheMoon

Found the Wave Beam - it was exactly where I thought it was and I'm kicking myself for not noticing the slightly higher entrance rather than only the lower exit. Went back to fight
The Tester
. Still got my ass kicked. Feel like this is bad design at this point - you can't possibly dodge the bullet hell attacks in the air, so you get forced to the ground, where you can't attack or even see your opponent. You can only go after it if it uses the green lazer or missile attacks, because all the rest make the aerial ascent too damaging, and often by the time you get there it goes back to bullet hell again. The save room is so far away the entire affair is rather tedious. Definitely the low point of the game for me.
Torizo
had my number for a while until I got
Spazer
, but I don't feel like I'm missing much now - I have no white circles left to go get items from, only dots, and no black map spaces unaccounted for. Not really sure what to do other than go through the rigmarole of getting back to the Tower again.

Don't think I've met that boss of yours yet but I agree about the encounter design in general so far. I find a lot of these happen in rooms that are too cramped to properly evade attacks and I just sponge up damage because I can and hope for the best until the boss bites it.

beril

Tried it for a bit yesterday and can't say I like it much. It's well made but it's not Metroid 2. It botches the atmosphere completely and adds a bunch of things that doesn't belong. It generally feels like it's made by people who don't have any real love for the original, but only like the later games. Yes Super Metroid is a better game than Metroid 2 (it's better than most games), that doesn't mean you should just lift every aspect of that into a M2 remake. M2 has it's own unique feel and identity, but the remake ignores that and just takes the shell and fills it up with SM/ZeroMission. I guess it seems a bit more faithful than Zero Mission at least.

Tried it for a bit yesterday and can't say I like it much. It's well made but it's not Metroid 2. It botches the atmosphere completely and adds a bunch of things that doesn't belong. It generally feels like it's made by people who don't have any real love for the original, but only like the later games. Yes Super Metroid is a better game than Metroid 2 (it's better than most games), that doesn't mean you should just lift every aspect of that into a M2 remake. M2 has it's own unique feel and identity, but the remake ignores that and just takes the shell and fills it up with SM/ZeroMission. I guess it seems a bit more faithful than Zero Mission at least.

I dunno. The only thing about M2 that gave it atmosphere was the super tiny screen, and the very slow crawl because you had to use the spider ball to get anywhere/everywhere.

I will agree that if felt a bit too much like travelling through a full industrial complex instead of a creature's natural habitat, though.

Maedhros

It's actually better, because Metroid 2 suck ass.

I will agree that if felt a bit too much like travelling through a full industrial complex instead of a creature's natural habitat, though.

This I can agree with, though that really only comes into play around halfway through the game. The first couple areas of the game (Planet Surface, Golden Ruins, Breeding Grounds, etc) definitely captured Metroid II's feeling of Samus vs. SR388 and it's natural threats pretty well.

As cool as the Tower is, that's probably the one area that sticks out the most thematically in comparison to the original. The area with the green vines everywhere (and that damned shinespark for the Super Missile) actually managed to be even more foreboding and lonely than it was in the original game.

It's actually better, because Metroid 2 suck ass.

Yeah, no. It's a little rough around the edges (being a product of it's hardware and all) but it's a great game.

Rambler

This game is so satisfying to control that it's actually kind of frustrating in a weird way?

Like this game is a glimpse of what 2D Metroid could have played like if it went back to consoles, which is something that's never going to happen.

Maedhros

Yeah, no. It's a little rough around the edges (being a product of it's hardware and all) but it's a great game.

I played Metroid II for the first time last year. It's awesome.

Maybe we played different Metroid 2. I remember it being a slow ass, shitty paced and terrible camera Metroid game.

I don't really like Metroid 1 or 2 at all. The remake solved my problems with the first and this one solves the problems I had with 2. I'll never even think about the originals anymore.

PtM

Banned
Change.org petition to ask Nintendo to not ban this. My english isn't very good but...

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-nintendo-don-t-ban-am2r-another-metroid-2-remake
Has never worked with Nintendo.

Here's some file sizes and checksums, if OP wants to include them.
v1.1:
Code:
sizes file
75312263		../AM2R_11.zip
 3169792		AM2R.exe
 1998168		D3DX9_43.dll
48345822		data.win
Code:
sha1sum
b6b722a2b4fb366e6e94dfda869d369f4ad93cbc		../AM2R_11.zip
c529ebff9d85bc8a0fdf3e42a3d1d58977228cc3		AM2R.exe
f5944df4142983714a6d9955e6e393d9876c1e11		D3DX9_43.dll
34748f2ad5ffd25c4756f6aa4a043298cfeff973		data.win
Code:
sha256sum
fa3d0931baf8b218b6a8b4ce9eb8e18ca11e142c34f0b404d405d8300ef0fa4c		../AM2R_11.zip
fe6e75f402235e126eb75a16d2a918dc2aef1b1e3f41e5c36d198d277bc94267		AM2R.exe
0b28546be22c71834501f7d7185ede5d79742457331c7ee09efc14490dd64f5f		D3DX9_43.dll
36e4a251d7b687f2d742a8e911cb1e1185aea99e36529fcf32cd18d445a355e3		data.win
v1.0:
Code:
file sizes
75027881		../AM2R_10.zip
 3169792		AM2R.exe
 1998168		D3DX9_43.dll
47995230		data.win
Code:
sha1sum
26f11b2635f317b8b9a3571f54c20a7dc09245b4 		 ../AM2R_10.zip
430465100d92b7b79498c8bec0bb94c0c41798b7 		 AM2R.exe
f5944df4142983714a6d9955e6e393d9876c1e11 		 D3DX9_43.dll
1463933f71ea8167dcaf671b4078c7262df1b791 		 data.win
Code:
sha256sum
c9558deccded57a81ae8964b0418cff1e9cde1cd006ffc5f7f2ce22417949e08 		../AM2R_10.zip
d8fcd92c19bc100ebc8abc927168673e6af820b5bc9795c2c0de8e97755366a0		AM2R.exe
0b28546be22c71834501f7d7185ede5d79742457331c7ee09efc14490dd64f5f 		D3DX9_43.dll
128585d2e6517ca1425860979bed81ca4c015ed6f7376d7e40338b0be962cb46		data.win

Top Bottom