• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky: Free updates coming, potential paid DLC in future depending on budget

E92 M3

This game will be like Minecraft with majority being free.

It's common sense based on everything we've seen so far.

MisterR

The no DLC statement:

"We do want to add a ton of features, like we’ve just discussed: Freighters, bases, these type of things. But we want to do it for free. You’ve paid for the game, so you should get this stuff without paying even more money. So no, there will be no paid DLC, just patches."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331811079576/no-mans-sky-ps4-launch-day-interview

Literally one week ago.

Reading the OP it notes that after they pushed him on it he stated that it's possible that something could be paid at some point. I'd imagine if it was a huge, expansion like update. I think he's just covering his bases.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line at promising explicit multiplayer features? At going on national TV and talking about said features? You're still viewing him as the dev, but he has inadvertently taken on the role of marketer as well.

Its what's there at the point of sale, either on the box cover if its physical or the item description if its digital. That's where I draw the line.

I'm also under no illusions that absolute satisfaction is guaranteed with a piece of entertainment media; it might exceed or fall short of my expectations and I'm cool with that when I put my money down. Whether its the price of a game or a movie ticket is immaterial, I'm "paying for the show".

As an adult I understand that my personal tastes, hopes, and expectations are out of the entertainer's control - and thus my responsibility alone.

I think the game is decent, but I don't get why so many are rushing to defend the many false claims and conflicting statements he has made over the last two years.

Partly, it's because I'm sure a significant percentage of people who act "outraged" couldn't actually give a crap about this, and are instead jumping on the hate-bandwagon because they're bored/like something to be outraged at. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Mostly though, it's because

1. those "false claims" aren't as false as people are pretending them to be.
2. the vast majority of people complaining absolutely refuse to give the benefit of the doubt in regards to anything, which helps to prove that most people are just in this to be outraged at something.
3. most of the complaints can be solved by not being an irresponsible consumer and just waiting a day to buy the actual game.

Where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line at promising explicit multiplayer features?

Another list for you:

1. He has explicitly said that there won't be any MP at launch as far back as 2014.
2. He explicitly said that this isn't a multiplayer game on his twitter account a few days before release.
3. The game is marketed and listed on all online stores as a single player game.

Essentially, what you and the rest are complaining about is a misconstrued statement on your part.

MisterR

Partly, it's because I'm sure a significant percentage of people who act "outraged" couldn't actually give a crap about this, and are instead jumping on the hate-bandwagon because they're bored/like something to be outraged at. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Mostly though, it's because

1. those "false claims" aren't as false as people are pretending them to be.
2. the vast majority of people complaining absolutely refuse to give the benefit of the doubt in regards to anything, which helps to prove that most people are just in this to be outraged at something.
3. most of the complaints can be solved by not being an irresponsible consumer and just waiting a day to buy the actual game.

This is basically it. I haven't bought the game and I have no emotional investment in it, but I find the hysterics, hyperbole and constant outrage grating as hell.

nynt9

Its what's there at the point of sale, either on the box cover if its physical or the item description if its digital. That's where I draw the line.

I'm also under no illusions that absolute satisfaction is guaranteed with a piece of entertainment media; it might exceed or fall short of my expectations and I'm cool with that when I put my money down. Whether its the price of a game or a movie ticket is immaterial, I'm "paying for the show".

As an adult I understand that my personal tastes, hopes, and expectations are out of the entertainer's control - and thus my responsibility alone.

You're confusing taste and satisfaction with concrete game features. No one here is talking about how they didn't enjoy the game as much as they did. They're talking about how several things were promised by the developer that are simply not part of the game. Enjoyment is subjective, but features are factual.

As for the box thing, that's not how PR works. PR works by creating a wealth of knowledge about a product that can't be contained on the bus. It is additive and thus every new information will be attached to the product. When you buy an iPhone, there's literally nothing on the box. But through PR you know that it will have a fingerprint sensor. The nature of PR is that once something is said through official channels, unless refuted, it will be assumed to be true of the product. The onus was on Sean to not say things he couldn't deliver or issue a correction when he realized he couldn't deliver them, or even issue an apology when he didn't deliver them and launched the product and faced disappointed consumers. He has done none of these.

Edit: and no, big PR trumps small PR. If you do several highly publicized interviews and go on national TV, something vague you tweet late at night right before the game's release doesn't really count as a meaningful redaction.

WITHE1982

I dunno why but this statement just kinda irks me.

Don't get me wrong I'm currently enjoying NMS and think Sean and his team have done an amazing job to get the game out, but I for one bought the game on the back of knowing I wouldn't have to sink anymore money into it. That kinda justified the £50 price tag for me.

This backtracking after only a week is a little irritating to say the least.

Don't get me wrong I'd be fine with paid DLC and have nothing in particular against it. It's just the nature of how the press/PR seems to be being handled.

Sean can't really catch a break. It seems every word is analysed and dissected to find some fault and I'm probably as guilty as most for doing so.

It'd be interesting to see the court's take on what counts as an actual advertised claim that can be disputed.

Which Court?

The US generally has the best jurisdiction for class actions but other jurisdictions have legislation that better protects the consume. Then there are the EU regulations too.

If someone is bothered, they need to go away and read the text of the license to use the game and see what that says. I wonder if there is the usual Entire Agreement clause which says anything we said before is all lies and you can't rely upon it.

If so, that's the contract and you need to find a way out that using (usually) consumer protection legislation.

nynt9

I would hate for us to lose a developer that actually communicates due to the trolls.

Like how he communicates with fans and journalists who have been asking him since the release date about whether the game currently has multiplayer?

MrSpaM

Banned
Where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line at promising explicit multiplayer features? At going on national TV and talking about said features? You're still viewing him as the dev, but he has inadvertently taken on the role of marketer as well.

The point of hiring publicists isn't to get "professional liars" as you say (lol). It is to have people who can understand the liabilities spouting off bullshit and temper down overly enthusiastic devs who keep molyneuxing whatever feature comes to their mind and have no idea how to do PR.

Also, people spent $60 on a product that was sold to them on false pretenses. They were essentially swindled if they cared about those promised features. They have a right to be upset. And hiring a publicist is to prevent this from happening by putting a muzzle on things the developers are overestimating themselves with.

I don't understand why people are getting upset about this notion. This is how publishing works. I don't care enough to file legal action, but someone else might. It's not preposterous to do so, it's one's legal right. Sean fucked up, but I don't see why people are so eager to act like he didn't. You can still enjoy the game.

The problem is it's probably in the companies T&C's that they can change anything about the product they like at any time and do not need to inform the consumer

So in Hello Games case, they can simply say they changed it the day before release and no consumer has a leg to stand on legally

I'm firmly in the camp of 'Where are these multiplayer features?', like most other people. But I also understand games change during development. Maybe the game was delayed by a couple of months to get the multiplayer working and they just couldn't do it in the end. I would understand this, what I don't understand is why they are purposely dancing around giving anybody a clear answer.

Unfortunately from a legal standpoint though, nobody who bought the game has a case

SomTervo

This is kind of a digression but I'm pretty sure people pay to be on shows like Colbert. Who knows what else is paid promotion or not. And I'm not a lawyer obviously. But my point want the letter of the law, it was that people are viewing Sean as a "bro", whereas they should be viewing him as a businessman trying to sell a product. However incompetent a publicist he might be, that's the role he's supposed to have and people should keep in mind that their own interests as consumers should come first.

Panel shows like Colbert are always confusing to me - because both sides get something out of it. Especially when there are A-list movie stars and stuff on there. I highly doubt those movie stars are paying for the slot, considering how many viewers they might pull to the station. It seems like a win:win for the show and the person being sponsored. Unless someone on this board knows something about how they work there's no answer to this.

The contention with Sean is that he's not just a businessman. Nothing like execs like Shu or Mark Cerny or Reggie or whathave you, who are figureheads for large organisations or branches of organisations. Sean's company is tiny, almost entirely artists, and he was first-and-foremost (and very recently in his career), only a developer and an evidently impassioned gamer. Not that this excuses him, obviously, but it means that as well as promoting his game on various channels, he is also the actual creator showing off his work that he is very passionate about - again unlike Reggie, etc.

He's not trained in PR. He's evidently not trained in being the figurehead for a business. And both of those roles seem to have been thrust upon him with no qualifications. You say it's the role he's "supposed" to have, but it's not really clear-cut either way. He's doing a bunch of things at once whenever he is on-screen - and honestly those various roles are interacting in very problematic ways.

TL:DR: Hello Games need to actually come up with a PR strategy and be careful about it. As far as we know they have no strategy.

Still hoping for an update introducing real desert Biomes with some rare rock formations containing resources - of course Sandworms would be appreciated too.

Somebody in the OT said they saw giant sandworms a while back and said it was awesome. They never posted again, though.

nynt9

Are you just going to ignore my comment?

Here he is on twitter, before the release of the game, given a very clear answer.

The game isn't advertised as such. It's listed on all online stores as a single player game. What more do you need, exactly?

The vagueness of that tweet and the context surrounding it has been highly debated to the point of getting several threads locked and I have no intention of derailing this thread and getting it locked.

Panel shows like Colbert are always confusing to me - because both sides get something out of it. Especially when there are A-list movie stars and stuff on there. I highly doubt those movie stars are paying for the slot, considering how many viewers they might pull to the station. It seems like a win:win for the show and the person being sponsored. Unless someone on this board knows something about how they work there's no answer to this.

The contention with Sean is that he's not just a businessman. Nothing like execs like Shu or Mark Cerny or Reggie or whathave you, who are figureheads for large organisations or branches of organisations. Sean's company is tiny, almost entirely artists, and he was first-and-foremost (and very recently in his career), only a developer and an evidently impassioned gamer. Not that this excuses him, obviously, but it means that as well as promoting his game on various channels, he is also the actual creator showing off his work that he is very passionate about - again unlike Reggie, etc.

He's not trained in PR. He's evidently not trained in being the figurehead for a business. And both of those roles seem to have been thrust upon him with no qualifications. You say it's the role he's "supposed" to have, but it's not really clear-cut either way. He's doing a bunch of things at once whenever he is on-screen - and honestly those various roles are interacting in very problematic ways.

TL:DR: Hello Games need to actually come up with a PR strategy and be careful about it. As far as we know they have no strategy.

Somebody in the OT said they saw giant sandworms a while back and said it was awesome. They never posted again, though.

I mostly agree, which is why I think he shouldn't be taking on a dual role.

Unfortunately from a legal standpoint though, nobody who bought the game has a case

Is not likely to have a case.....

Never say never. You can't assume the law in every jurisdiction.

Still.....

xkcd_eula.jpg

SomTervo

Another list for you:

1. He has explicitly said that there won't be any MP at launch as far back as 2014.
2. He explicitly said that this isn't a multiplayer game on his twitter account a few days before release.
3. The game is marketed and listed on all online stores as a single player game.

Essentially, what you and the rest are complaining about is a misconstrued statement on your part.

These things are absolute facts but it's also absolute facts that he said you will see other players in the game and can play the game with other people, several times.

I love No Man's Sky but you have to accept this.

The vagueness of that tweet and the context surrounding it has been highly debated to the point of getting several threads locked and I have no intention of derailing this thread and getting it locked.

"No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game." is vague?

How absolutely ridiculous.

These things are absolute facts but it's also absolute facts that he said you will see other players in the game and can play the game with other people, several times.

I love No Man's Sky but you have to accept this.

If we're talking objectivity, you can in fact play with other players in a roundabout way, and there is multiplayer functionality with the "scan for other players" thing.

SomTervo

The problem is it's probably in the companies T&C's that they can change anything about the product they like at any time and do not need to inform the consumer

So in Hello Games case, they can simply say they changed it the day before release and no consumer has a leg to stand on legally

I'm firmly in the camp of 'Where are these multiplayer features?', like most other people. But I also understand games change during development. Maybe the game was delayed by a couple of months to get the multiplayer working and they just couldn't do it in the end. I would understand this, what I don't understand is why they are purposely dancing around giving anybody a clear answer.

This puts it in a clear-cut fashion. Thanks Spam.

If we're talking objectivity, you can in fact play with other players in a roundabout way, and there is multiplayer functionality with the "scan for other players" thing.

You certainly can't meet other players, though. He said that. Verbatim. I.e. not talking about "playing with others" through the shared experience. He said that you will 'meet' other players in-game.

Objectivity doesn't really come into it.

E92 M3

Like how he communicates with fans and journalists who have been asking him since the release date about whether the game currently has multiplayer?

He never said this is a multiplayer game. He has always said to expect a single player experience. No fans of the actual game actually care about the "mp fiasco." It's all just fuel for the same trolls that have been saying "what do you do" for the last 3 years.

I think he's handling it right for the most part. He seems to be ignoring the trolls and trying to communicate on the real issues.

Hopefully, but degrading comments will get to anyone eventually.

MisterR

"No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game." is vague?

How absolutely ridiculous.

It's laughable. No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go In looking for that experience. That's plain as fucking day. I think E92 M3 nailed it about who is doing the constant outrage.

dalin80

Banned

Have seen medium size sandworms, maybe 4m long? Covered in rows of little teeth and other terrifying details buy they were really quite chilled.

Oni Jazar

Thanks for whoever changed the thread title. If you read the actual quote in the story it's such a small thing:

But when pushed on whether the game will always remain free, Murray couldn't categorically rule out paid for DLC further down the line, explaining that it could happen if "Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it".

Like others have said the plans haven't changed just keeping all avenues open.

elco

I would much rather have a developer not say anything than promise features he won't deliver on. The fact that one week after launch we still don't have an official answer to such a simple question as "can two players see each other in the game" is completely and utterly ridiculous. Just imagine a journalist asking an EA developer "does Battlefront have a story-based campaign" and getting a reply like "so many players are playing Battlefront right now, my mind is blown".

Anyway, this has been discussed to death. As puzzling as some of GAF's attitude seems, it is what it is. Personally I won't believe a word that comes out of Sean Murray's mouth until I see the results directly implemented into the game.

I thought we did have an answer. He said said yes you can see other players. You're asking him to give specifics on how/when that happens. I hope he continues to stay quiet on the issue and allows us to discover elements of the game. This game was never sold as a multiplayer game, in fact explicitly defined as a single player experience for years now. Why is the default response to call the dude a liar? It seems completely irresponsible.

MisterR

Sean Murrary's fall from grace is an interesting thing to watch.

Message board trolls frequently overestimate their influence on things. There is no fall from grace. There is a loud minority of message board trolls trying their best though.

You certainly can't meet other players, though. He said that. Verbatim. I.e. not talking about "playing with others" through the shared experience. He said that you will 'meet' other players in-game.

Objectivity doesn't really come into it.

Well, yes, you do. At least, you meet their footprint.

And, you know, there is still the fact that he very clearly said that there won't be "meet other players face to face" multiplayer back in 2014. Or that he ever showed footage implying that that would happen.

So, if all you've got to go off of is a single statement made whenever, and your conclusion is "he's a horrible lie-monster" instead of "maybe I misunderstood, I should give him the benefit of the doubt, the exclusion of a part of the game so minuscule in the grand scheme of things shouldn't elicit this type of a reaction", then I don't know what to tell you.

All that cash money will probably cushion his fall.

Crispy75

I've been playing NMS for a few days, been having a great time, been talking about it with my friends. Comparing notes, swapping stories. Good times. Thought I'd check out some GAF threads. Ooh! Free updates coming? That sounds neat!

Good lord.

gossi

Sean Murray just created, delivered and sold a multi-million selling franchise. It launched 2nd only to Uncharted for Sony, with 5th biggest launch of any game on any platform. He sold his house to fund the company, and at height had 15 staff.

As to the paid DLC, we already know he'll be adding features for free through patches. That's been announced since before release, along with what exactly will be added. And by all accounts, the first patch seems pretty sweet already.

I'll start raising an eyebrow at this news once he drops the free patching and starts selling DLC.

MisterR

Sean Murray just created, delivered and sold a multi-million selling franchise. It launched 2nd only to Uncharted for Sony, with 5th biggest launch of any game on any platform. He sold his house to fund the company, and at height had 15 staff.

What a crash that must have been for him.

Hektor

I would hate for us to lose a developer that actually communicates due to the trolls.

Where would be the loss? Sean Murray did everything a person could do to make his words absolutely worthless wether hes just overly naive and ambitious as on group thinks or if he's lying like the other people think, whatever the case we only know for certain that his word shouldn't be held to high standards cos every promise he's making is a subject to change.

So really, what would be the loss?

Its like people forgot that its ok for a game they dont like to exist and succeed

Its Mass Effect 3 ending all over again. What a disgrace

And its not like the criticism arent valid

Its how people are acting after the criticisms are levied thats embarrassing

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You're confusing taste and satisfaction with concrete game features. No one here is talking about how they didn't enjoy the game as much as they did. They're talking about how several things were promised by the developer that are simply not part of the game. Enjoyment is subjective, but features are factual.

Sorry, just seems to me that you are placing unreasonable obligations on a developer purely based on your interpretation of their intentions/expectations expressed in an ad-hoc manner.

I appreciate your position, and the polite way you've made your point, but I just fundamentally disagree with your premise.

A game is not an appliance built to serve a specific function, its a creative work and that allows for more latitude and liberalism in terms of content variance without breaking the consumer/provider commercial compact.

NoWayOut

But the creator, Sean Murray has already spoken extensively about how he intends to update the game moving forward, putting it into the same bracket as games such as Minecraft and Don't Starve.

NMS Story Mode, NMS Spaceshipwrecked and NMS Together DLC's confirmed! ;P

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well, yes, you do. At least, you meet their footprint.

And, you know, there is still the fact that he very clearly said that there won't be "meet other players face to face" multiplayer back in 2014. Or that he ever showed footage implying that that would happen.

So, if all you've got to go off of is a single statement made whenever, and your conclusion is "he's a horrible lie-monster" instead of "maybe I misunderstood, I should give him the benefit of the doubt, the exclusion of a part of the game so minuscule in the grand scheme of things shouldn't elicit this type of a reaction", then I don't know what to tell you.
You are quite literally trying to derail this into something that's been discussed over ~200 pages already and ended up getting locked.
How fucking childish.
No Mans Boys?

This is the most obscene suggestion I ha e ever heard.

When you try to sell your product, you talk about its features and what it includes, how it functions, etc.

You are suggesting a dev can tell you one thing then at the point of sale sell you something else and it's A-Ok because the description of the product before hand doesn't have to match the end product.

Again, you are the reason developers do this stuff. Because they can tell you they are selling you diamond earrings and you'd be OK getting a piece of tin with fishhooks.

The problem is that you don't actually KNOW what is in the product until AFTER the point of sale. You were told one thing and sold an incomplete or faulty package. That's why devs talk about their games - to tell you what you can expect to sell it to you.

You are blaming the consumer for believing the seller. What is wrong with you?

It's laughable. No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go In looking for that experience. That's plain as fucking day. I think E92 M3 nailed it about who is doing the constant outrage.

If it's laughable why did he state on national TV that it was multiplayer? People are fully aware that he said there was no multiplayer, but that doesn't change the fact that he made the opposite claim on a much bigger stage. What's laughable is that defenders are so up in arms about this that they're denying things that he literally said.

I think they should fix the game first before selling people on new things or add some things for free. Personally i think "this" is one of the best planned ripoffs in gaming history, thanks to absurd embargos and clever marketing.

Top Bottom