• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

Does everyone complaining about the story remember the story of DXHR? I was fun, pop scifi, but it was never what I'd call "very good". I think we're looking back with rose tinted glasses here. The atmosphere, themes and mythology of DX has always been it's strong suit in terms of narrative, not the storytelling. Not trying to make excuses for this new one having a meh story, but I never really had lofty expectations. I'll be more disappointed if the gameplay is not a great leap forward (which I'm hearing is kind of the case).

So regarding PC...I'm seeing mixed things. Low FPS even on high end systems, decent performances and not great IQ. But then I see some others that say the PC version is great on a high end rig. I'm really torn here. I have a mid-to-high rig that is good but not "ultra" good. I feel like I'd just prefer PS4 at this point if they are going to look similar. Blasphemy, I know. It's going to feel weird to play a DX game on consoles.

Anyway, sounds like I'm ragging on it, but it's just because I'm very much in love with this series. Really looking forward to playing this one.
Played Human Revolution twice to 1000/1000 gamerscore (the full sneak playthrough) and honestly...I don't remember a single thing about the game's story. I remember sneaking, I seem to remember being in Montreal at one point, I remember Adam's apartment, but I couldn't tell you what the story was about, who the villain was, etc.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, but loved the gameplay. Hoping this is more of that!

Tecnniqe

Banned
For some reason GMG was displaying in Russian Rubles for me. I don't have a Russian VPN (just my own and I live in the UK) or anything like that, so I bought it off there for £14. Preloading now, seems to be region free.

:3

Russian text and VO only ;)

"Dense" is all I heard, not "bigger".

I've seen other comments on the size as well but there is this from the RPS review:

Where Human Revolution’s Detroit was really just two streets, a couple of backalleys, and a few locations cordoned off behind long elevator rides, Prague is four large hubs connected by level loads disguised as subway rides. Any one of those four hubs feels larger than all of Detroit, in part because they’re contiguous spaces. For example, when breaking into apartments to look for crafting parts, I stumbled through an open door to realise I was in Adam Jensen’s flat.

A-V-B

Does everyone complaining about the story remember the story of DXHR? I was fun, pop scifi, but it was never what I'd call "very good".

I liked Sarif and Prichard and Malik (especially the latter) a lot. The story wasn't all that great, but no DX in our lifetimes will live up to the original.

And about the hub discussion, the point of having hubs in different places is to switch up tone, keep things fresh.

Nags

Banned
Played Human Revolution twice to 1000/1000 gamerscore (the full sneak playthrough) and honestly...I don't remember a single thing about the game's story. I remember sneaking, I seem to remember being in Montreal at one point, I remember Adam's apartment, but I couldn't tell you what the story was about, who the villain was, etc.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, but loved the gameplay. Hoping this is more of that!

Dude... no.
There was no Montreal hub.

I wouldn't be that bothered about Prague being the only hub if I didn't dislike the look of it so much. I never thought it would be a big deal because I assumed it'd be just a starting area and then you move on to a more cyberpunky looking hub.

Bolivar687

Banned
Yeah I think people are jumping the gun a bit at declaring this as a bad PC port.

Especially when we just had this from Ars posted a few pages back:

On a high-end PC, however, it was another story. Cranked to nearly maximum settings, DX:HR enjoyed a silky smooth, nearly 60-frame-per-second refresh with incredible lighting and particle effects, improved facial animations and lip syncing, and much crisper textures. The interface has been built to play wonderfully with mouse-and-keyboard, as well. A nice chunk of the PC version's UI is dedicated to number-button shortcuts (though one d-pad cross interface, which maps to the PC's function keys, doesn't get the same PC-specific treatment). The PC-conversion team at Nixxes has done it again, and while we know better than to announce a game's PC version as a clear winner out of the gate, our experience with the PC build has us leaning toward calling it the definitive version.

Ikon

I'm starting to feel like it's finally time to play through HR. I've still got my PS3 copy of the game sealed but I seem to remember there being a second release which fixed a couple of things? Am I ok just playing the original release or should I buy it again (shouldn't be too expensive anyway..)?

I wouldn't be that bothered about Prague being the only hub if I didn't dislike the look of it so much. I never thought it would be a big deal because I assumed it'd be just a starting area and then you move on to a more cyberpunky looking hub.

Golem City is much more cyberpunk looking. Very similar to Hengsha in vibe.

Tovarisc

What makes for "cyberpunky hub"? Hubs in HR weren't that "cyberpunky" imo, just advanced near future cities.

Edit: I wonder if https://www.twitch.tv/gamestarde got special permission to stream game or they just don't give a fuck about footage embargo

Nags

Banned
I've seen other comments on the size as well but there is this from the RPS review:

Well that sounds cool. Would have appreciated some globe trotting though.
Like maybe take out 2 parts from Prague and instead do Moscow or somewhere In Brazil, New York, LA or Tokyo.

StereoVsn

And this is why the notion of waiting until a GPU can hit 60 fps at max settings at 4k in all games is a silly one. Every game is different.
- The Russian review mentions that 1080 at FullHD (so 1080p) can only run the fame 30 FPS with 8x MSAA....
- Game hits almost 6gb with max settings at 1440p.
- DirectX 12 is terrible for Nvidia in this game
- Game utilizes any number of cores up to 16 and it's very CPU intensive
- Surprisingly Game took up to 2.8GB RAM (thinking might be a typo?)

Overall the engine seems very unoptimized. I am going to wait a month or three. My 3770K and 980TI seems inadequate here.

Edit: Comments are pretty inline with what can be expected. People bitching about unoptimized port.

Oh is that a part of the Prague hub?

Someone playing the game could answer better but from what I understand it's a smaller hub but has sidequests, etc.

You can see a bit of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVD7ksvxgP0

Well that sounds cool. Would have appreciated some globe trotting though.
Like maybe take out 2 parts from Prague and instead do Moscow or somewhere In Brazil, New York, LA or Tokyo.

Lack of hubs doesn't mean there can't be globe trotting. HR only had Detroit & Hengsha but you still did missions in Montreal, Singapore, and the Arctic. Hopefully it's the same in MD.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Do they have special permission from publisher or just showing middle finger to embargo?

Seems weird for them having special permission to show the game in German and not English.

They have a permission from the publisher, it's one of the biggest gaming sites in germany

Do any other sites have permission? I'd like to understand what they say, but any gameplay is fine to get a feel for it.

Z3M0G

Not sure if I want to play this... I did enjoy the previous one, but I never felt invested in it really. It didn't leave me wanting more.

jrcbandit

4K performance from GameGPU.. yikes:

dem_3840_11.png

http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/deus-ex-mankind-divided-test-gpu

Apparently some setting in Ultra destroys performance. I wonder if you turn down AA or shadows if the FPS dramatically improves.

I doubt I'll end up paying more than $30 for this. I enjoyed the previous game and really like the expanded open-ended gameplay but right now it just doesn't seem worth it at full price. I'll wait for impressions and possibly get it later this year when it inevitably goes on sale.

You can get it already for $36 from cdkeys if you don't want to wait. GMG had it for that price for like an hour or so until the server load crashed the site and they went back to $45 pricing lol.

Euron

I doubt I'll end up paying more than $30 for this. I enjoyed the previous game and really like the expanded open-ended gameplay but right now it just doesn't seem worth it at full price. I'll wait for impressions and possibly get it later this year when it inevitably goes on sale.

I'm starting to feel like it's finally time to play through HR. I've still got my PS3 copy of the game sealed but I seem to remember there being a second release which fixed a couple of things? Am I ok just playing the original release or should I buy it again (shouldn't be too expensive anyway..)?

As someone who only played through the original HR once, but absolutely loved it...

I'd probably recommend the Directors Cut. The boss battles in the original almost ruined it for me.

Inorganic

I am going definitely going to enjoy MD, but considering its been in development for 4-5 years(?) and HR has a 90 Meta, I had hoped for something close to 90 all said and done. Really wish Eidos had gone all out and surpassed HR.

Wow at that performance.

Disappointed that in the end the game isn't shaping up to be better than HR. Guess I should just replay the OG for the nth time.

Tovarisc

I am going definitely going to enjoy MD, but considering its been in development for 4-5 years(?) and HR has a 90 Meta, I had hoped for something close to 90 all said and done. Really wish Eidos had gone all out and surpassed HR.

Maybe they have. Like people have said earlier how games are getting scored now days is somewhat different from HR days.

Wow at that performance.

Disappointed that in the end the game isn't shaping up to be better than HR. Guess I should just replay the OG for the nth time.

? Story is the only thing that I've seen pegged as worse than HR, and even then it's not always clear to me what the reviewers thought of HR's story. Otherwise it seems like almost everything is else is improved.

? Story is the only thing that I've seen pegged as worse than HR, and even then it's not always clear to me what the reviewers thought of HR's story. Otherwise it seems like almost everything is else is improved.

I didnt think HR had a good story. I cant even remember it, despite really enjoying the game.

Top Bottom