• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf Mixtape Project- Calling all Hip Hop Producers and Emcees

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Guys- just from reading the official Hip Hop thread I've realized that GAF has some insanely talented producers and lyricists, and I'm hoping that we can make a Gaf-Hip Hop mixtape for the summer. This would sort of be like this thread's version of G.A.M.E.- a tape consisting of beats, rhymes, and probably even cover art from gaffers.

The recent discussion about soul sampling sort of had my mind going in that direction, and I was sort of hoping that that could be the rough theme for the tape- Jazz/soul sampled hip hop (but that's just a loose guideline, feel free to get creative and put your own personal style on whatever you want to do).

I just came up with this idea and am still hashing it with some other gaffers, so I'm not sure where I'm gonna take it from here- right now I have a few beats in the works, hopefully looking for some lyricists to make them come alive.

This was posted in the Hip Hop thread, and the reaction was very positive, it seems like a lot of people are going to get involved- this project could turn out special.

I'm going to continually update the lists below so we can stay somewhat organized about who's doing what:

--The following is just rough/preliminary list of people who have expressed interest in the project, organized by what they told me they'd like to do--

Emcees:
soundahfekz
soul creator
stat flow
Kimosabae
samus i am

Producers:
peteb0y
Tokubetsu
soundahfekz
GodfatherX
Spaclock
Darko
TheOddOne
samus i am
Whoompthereitis
GuitarAtomik
samratty
Pinko Marx
missbreedsiddx
Solaros

Artwork:
Bad_Boy

I'm far from the best producer on gaf- I've seen some crazy awesome stuff by some dudes here that is just levels above me- but anyways, to start us off, here are 2 beats that I've been working on for this project:
http://soundcloud.com/peterb0y/everyday-1
http://soundcloud.com/peterb0y/shadows-final

I've got this old-ass beat I made on my MPC a few years ago. You guys can have it if you want. I'll figure out how to uplaod it or whatever.

PBY

Banned
thanks for helping out guys

Stat Flow said:
I know I said I could rap but I never gave you a sample of me (my flow, voice, or if I was even good)...sorry.

Here's a song I did with a producer I met online:

http://www.datpiff.com/Broken_Silence_Entertainment_WN_Productions_My.m107308.html

Number 12 is me, you can stream it there.
Kimosabae said:
Never actually recorded anything, so I'm hoping this project changes that.

If any producers have anything they feel fits a style like this, that'd help a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7t8NMwA20c

That's just me reading some shit I wrote a while back. The lyrics are in the description.
both of these are pretty dope

peterb0y said:
thanks for helping out guys

both of these are pretty dope

I'm borderline retarded when it comes to technology. If I have an MP3 of my beat, how best to get it online, or send it to you?

PBY

Banned
^If you want us to just be able to listen to it, you can upload it to soundcloud.com for free, where we can stream it

-For us to be able to download it, I think you could upload it to a site like rapidshare.com

peterb0y said:
^If you want us to just be able to listen to it, you can upload it to soundcloud.com for free, where we can stream it

-For us to be able to download it, I think you could upload it to a site like rapidshare.com

Cool, I'll dig up the beat and see what shape it's in. If you don't mind, I may end up PMing you at some point if I need help.

PBY

Banned
Whoompthereitis said:
Cool, I'll dig up the beat and see what shape it's in. If you don't mind, I may end up PMing you at some point if I need help.
no worries, thats cool

samratty

I'm not making much Hip Hop any more (more experimental stuff nowadays) but I'd probably have something left over or be able to get into the hip hop zone to make a beat for it. So sign me up preliminarily (unless anyone is interested in spitting over a quasi folk beat at a dubstep/grime tempo with KK Slider on the chorus, in which case I have the experiment for you).

I heard some of soul creator's stuff and I was definitely feeling him as an emcee.

Kimosabae

Banned
TheOddOne said:
That was great.

You need a beat like Project Roach on it.

Thanks, man. Don't know about the beat suggestion, though - at least, not for those lyrics in particular. That was inspired by something more mellow, moody and obscure.

I actually wrote it with this beat in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dWKPqkCtDg&feature=related

Really wish I could find that instrumental.

I'm not looking for anything that specific, though. Any beat that I might be feeling, I'll try to work with it.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
haha part 2 of the neogaf hip hop album.

I tried to do this a couple years ago and it failed miserably after work took up all my time.

Just a few tips for the OP:
Use hard deadlines for everything, otherwise everyone will work at their own pace and it'll never get done.

be concise-- if you want collabos or solos, say so, and don't waver on what to expect from different people like i did.

I think that'll go a long way to making sure that this works out well this time :D

PBY

Banned
samus i am said:
Here is a beat that I would like to submit. It took me a while to upload because my laptop crashed

NeoGaf - Hip Hop Instrumental
hotttt- good job dude, this is sick

whytemyke said:
haha part 2 of the neogaf hip hop album.

I tried to do this a couple years ago and it failed miserably after work took up all my time.

Just a few tips for the OP:
Use hard deadlines for everything, otherwise everyone will work at their own pace and it'll never get done.

be concise-- if you want collabos or solos, say so, and don't waver on what to expect from different people like i did.

I think that'll go a long way to making sure that this works out well this time :D
Interesting; pretty sound advice here- also, if you want to help out, feel free:D

desa

When I was younger I rhymed a lot and made a bunch of songs around 2002-2005. I was planning to hop back into rhyming but I never got to it. This sounds like something that will get me back on track but I'm a little iffy if I can still flow like I do :lol

I did projects like these when I got my first mic and discovered the "netcee" community but 5 years is a long break. Maybe some warm up songs and a few sessions should get me back into shape.

Alright GAF. Here is my little contribution to this project. A beat I made a few weeks ago, and 2 I made last year when I just started.
Theres 2 versions of the same beat in there, one with an extra instrument added. Feel free to use whichever you like best.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0Q7L66EX

Edit: Also, all of these beats can be rearranged upon request.

Yo fam, what's the real deadline? Who's going to master all the tracks? How many tracks? And how dare you not ask me to be down with this project man:( You know I get sick with it.

I'm not really a hip hop producer but I'd say some of my work is heavily hip hop influenced. I could get in on this, but it'd be instrumental unless any lyricists want to collab.

http://softghosts.squarespace.com/storage/files/heads/2 A Few Breaths Before Life.mp3
http://softghosts.squarespace.com/storage/files/heads/4 Touching With Mechanical Hands.mp3
http://softghosts.squarespace.com/storage/files/heads/6 Perfect Places.mp3

[EDIT: just to clarify, I'm not submitting these. Just posting them as a sample of the kind of stuff I do. If you're interested in having me onboard, let me know.]

PBY

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Yo fam, what's the real deadline? Who's going to master all the tracks? How many tracks? And how dare you not ask me to be down with this project man:( You know I get sick with it.
! We could totaaaally use you man
I was hoping you'd see this thread (real talk, youre probably one of if not the best hip hop producer on GAF); If you do decide to contribute, I can't wait to see what you cook up

Anyways, about your questions:
Mastering: as of now, no idea. But this is important, so we'd have to figure something out soonish.
Deadline: Based on what I've seen in this thread, we actually have a decent number of beats right now- I was thinking 2 weeks for people to get their beats in, and then give the emcees some time to spit over them... so maybe aim for about a month? That may be a little optimistic tho
Number of Tracks: I was hoping to get 10... but its clear we're gonna get more beats than that, so maybe 15? Then its up to the emcees

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Sounds good. :) I have a four day break from work/school this upcoming weekend, I could try to whip up some sample cover designs sometime then.

Just let me know what I should run with (styles/theme/look), what dimensions, etc.

edit: I also have a good DSLR camera (canon t1i), so it doesnt exactly have to be all photoshop.

BowieZ

Banned
If I have time I may be able to contribute something, but don't put my name down just yet :D

Here's one of my beats, "Convertible," but it doesn't sample anything yet but that would be pretty easy to add.

BowieZ said:
If I have time I may be able to contribute something, but don't put my name down just yet :D

Here's one of my beats, "Convertible," but it doesn't sample anything yet but that would be pretty easy to add.
Soooooo, when are you getting Justin Timberlake to spit over that track...:D Good stuff, but I he wants us to do a "Jazzmatzz" type of thing(That care free sound, you know)Basically, like Nujabes I assume.

BowieZ

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
he wants us to do a "Jazzmatzz" type of thing(That care free sound, you know)Basically, like Nujabes I assume.
Ahh okay, didn't realize the sound was going to be a focused genre of hip hop. And thanks! :p

Az

I've been doing rap for about 10 years now, but in Bosnian. I guess that won't work since no one will understand.

Yo, we need to setup a Soundcloud group page so everyone could hear each other beats. The way G.A.M.E has it setup. And only make it private for us. Setting up a page is easy and free. So gaf producers, setup a page(Same for the MC's)BTW, I'm doing a beat, and MAYBE rhyme as well.

PBY

Banned
ShinobiFist said:
Yo, we need to setup a Soundcloud group page so everyone could hear each other beats. The way G.A.M.E has it setup. And only make it private for us. Setting up a page is easy and free. So gaf producers, setup a page(Same for the MC's)BTW, I'm doing a beat, and MAYBE rhyme as well.
Nice.... Also, great idea with the Soundcloud page, gonna get on that when I get back from work today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom