• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

d00d3n

Ok, so 21:9 seems to be incredibly broken. I guess I didn't notice due to "Give me Deus Ex" UI presets.

For example, completely misaligned markers over enemy heads (the objective marker seems to be somewhat misaligned as well):
337000_screenshots_20mgqbg.jpg

Taking damage:
337000_screenshots_20kyqs1.jpg

They are apparently aware of the issues and working on them:
SEcEXTy.png

Is the Deus Ex party canceled for us 21:9 folks? :(

Tovarisc

Is there a way to turn off the 50 company splash screens at the start of the game? I really love staring at what feels like an entire minute of splash screens every time I feel like playing.

I thought companies understood that this shit was really annoying years ago.

The sad thing is that they got it right with HR. You could skip all of the logos in that one.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/com...t_rid_of_the_annoying_intro_videos_in/d6tzwe8

tesqui

Kind of disappointed in the performance. My i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz really struggles. The RX480 is great, but the CPU really seems to bottleneck this game a ton. Especially in certain areas of the hub.

I wish more games prioritized GPU like Battlefield.

Lister

Banned
Can anyone confirm if this game uses PhsyX? if so, is there any ways to turn it off by editing some "secret" files or registry table?

If it does it's not the hardware accellerated version, and so it means it's the proper game engine's physics API. You wouldn't be able to turn that off.

SLI scaling looks to be about a 50% boost based on the main menu for me. This is with the compatibility bits in the OP.

Disabled = 50 FPS
Enabled = 75 FPS

Lister

Banned
Kind of disappointed in the performance. My i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz really struggles. The RX480 is great, but the CPU really seems to bottleneck this game a ton. Especially in certain areas of the hub.

DX12 in early September might be a cure for what ails you, specially on AMD hardware.

How does that compare to an i5 2500k @4.3? I'm not seeing any bottlenecks.

Which luma sharpen settings are you using in Reshade btw?

Well, you're going to want to tweak it for your own preferences and resolution. The effect is weaker at higher resolutions.

At 3440x1440, I'm using:

Code:
////---------------//
///**LUMASHARPEN**///
//---------------////
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 //[LumaSharpen] //-LumaSharpen : Sharpens the image.

//>LumaSharpen settings<\\
#define sharp_strength 0.5 //[0.10:3.00] //-Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp 0.010 //[0.000:1.000] //-Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

Which isn't terribly strong. I don't like a lot of sharpening.

Have you tried Overwatch's SLI bits? It saved my SLI, back a few pages...

Those are the bits in the OP. That's what I'm using.

EDIT: My bad. I'm an asshole. Wasn't using exclusive fullscreen, which is required for SLI. Now the main menu is 85 FPS. I could run the benchmark for more representative numbers, but I just wanted an idea as to how well it scaled. Anywho, the first mission still drops below 60 FPS at 3440x1440. But I can handle 55.

tesqui

How does that compare to an i5 2500k @4.3? I'm not seeing any bottlenecks.

Yeah I have the same cpu (i5 3570k, 4.2ghz) and am managing 45-60fps on high with a 4gb 770.

Well, It's not necessarily a mess on my end, but there are certain areas like the hub and a few mission locations that get to the high 30s. It's fine if you don't mind the occasional dips, but I'd prefer a smoother consistent 60+ experience.

Well, It's not necessarily a mess on my end, but there are certain areas like the hub and a few mission locations that get to the high 30s. It's fine if you don't mind the occasional dips, but I'd prefer a smoother consistent 60+ experience.

To be clear I am getting locked 60 in the Hub. That's why I'm sayin I'm not CPU bottlenecked.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I have a 1070 and the game frequently goes down to sub 20 FPS (I have it running on "High", so not Ultra or even Very High)
stuttering through this world doesn't make much fun, especially cause the game doesn't look THAT amazing.
I can play Witcher 3 on Very High with almost constant 60 FPS but can't even get a stable framerate here.

tesqui

To be clear I am getting locked 60 in the Hub. That's why I'm sayin I'm not CPU bottlenecked.

I don't know what's wrong on my end then, haha. I don't think it's my GPU cause no matter what settings I change it stays the same FPS in those extreme areas.

Are you sure it is the CPU that is bottlenecking? What is your GPU and CPU usage during the drops?
Also, AMD cards are notorious for driver overhead, which makes them perform worse on the slower CPUs. Example:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1495236/amd-vs-nvidia-cpu-overhead

Extreme example:
http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/ar....jpg/EG11/resize/600x-1/quality/90/format/jpg

Nice recap: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=398858

It seems like it could be related to that. I know that my CPU is usually at 99%. Could my 8gb of ram be effecting FPS as well?

Great performance on my i5-6600k + gtx970 with the game defaulting on high. Mouse accel issue is a problem though and I hope they fix that soon.

Controls also seem worse than HR. Can't drag stuff from the inventory to the hot bar and Walk is now a toggle instead of hold like it used to be. Who really toggles walk on and off?

I have a 1070 and the game frequently goes down to sub 20 FPS (I have it running on "High", so not Ultra or even Very High)
stuttering through this world doesn't make much fun, especially cause the game doesn't look THAT amazing.
I can play Witcher 3 on Very High with almost constant 60 FPS but can't even get a stable framerate here.

What settings are you using? I have a 1070 and I'm getting locked 60 FPS with everyting on Ultra except Contact Hardening Shadows (Off) and Volumetric Lighting (On but not Ultra). And no MSAA of course.

jorimt

After further testing, I've come to the conclusion that both Contact Hardening Shadows and Very High AO aren't fully working as intended. When compared to "On," "Very High" AO introduces shimmering and flickering artifacts with TAA enabled, that aren't present with AO simply "On." It appears that they are merely increasing the strength and extending the radius of the effect with Very High, but not increasing accuracy, as you lose coverage on Jensen's gun and arms when compared to "On."

I really wish this game had HBAO+ at this point. It would have also afforded us one of Geforce's excellent tweak guides.

Fiddled around with the game for about 30 minutes last night before I went to bed...

Man, my 670 is really showing its age here. I couldn't even get 60 fps on low at 1080p :/

Ill check to see if the hardened shadows and MSAA are on when I get home, though I doubt it if it was on low.

Guess this is an excuse to upgrade to a 1080! Now if only I could find an EVGA one in stock lol

jrcbandit

Fiddled around with the game for about 30 minutes last night before I went to bed...

Man, my 670 is really showing its age here. I couldn't even get 60 fps on low at 1080p :/

Ill check to see if the hardened shadows and MSAA are on when I get home, though I doubt it if it was on low.

Guess this is an excuse to upgrade to a 1080! Now if only I could find an EVGA one in stock lol

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6286-KR is in stock right now. Too bad the free game is crappy Paragon though.

Was thinking of maybe SLI'ing down the line, but definitely not if the free game is only that lol ;p.

SimplexPL

After further testing, I've come to the conclusion that both Contact Hardening Shadows and Very High AO aren't fully working as intended. When compared to "On," "Very High" AO introduces shimmering and flickering artifacts with TAA enabled, that aren't present with AO simply "On." It appears that they are merely increasing the strength and extending the radius of the effect with Very High, but not increasing accuracy, as you lose coverage on Jensen's gun and arms when compared to "On."

I really wish this game had HBAO+ at this point. It would have also afforded us one of Geforce's excellent tweak guides.

So what would you recommend - setting AO to "On", or disabling it completely? (or maybe forcing it thorugh nvidia control panel?). Does disabling TAA fix the AO?

jrcbandit

Thanks! I wasn't aware EVGA sold them directly through their site. I have been meaning to upgrade so this game might push me over the edge lol

Better make the decision within the next 15, maybe 30 minutes or so. 1080s tend to sell out quickly, especially the nicer versions.

I don't know if it's the modified SLI bits, but when I play at a 4Kish resolution, VRAM usage goes from 5000 to 6000 when I open my inventory, causing massive frame drops. It takes a few seconds to go back down. Really weird, and it doesn't happen when I disable SLI.

IkR1DLS.jpg

VKfwcvy.jpg

I wasn't quite fast enough to catch the insane VRAM jump (kinda hard when the game locks up for a second), but you can see the FPS. Really fucked up.

Fantastapotamus

What settings are you using? I have a 1070 and I'm getting locked 60 FPS with everyting on Ultra except Contact Hardening Shadows (Off) and Volumetric Lighting (On but not Ultra). And no MSAA of course.

Pretty much the "High" settings. No MSAA, no Cloth Physics, no Contact Shadows and Vol Ligh on "On"

Just tried again, FPS dropped down below 10 at times. No idea what is going on.

jorimt

So what would you recommend - setting AO to "On", or disabling it completely? (or maybe forcing it thorugh nvidia control panel?). Does disabling TAA fix the AO?

There is no known HBAO+ compatibility bit currently, so I'd leave it at "On" in-game. There is less coverage, but the additional coverage AO "Very High" affords is glitched out in my opinion, and creates tons of distant shimmering/flickering, whether TAA is on or off.

nWoZ.png

AO "Very High."

Note the extra coverage in the distance with "Very High" AO, but at the cost of extreme shimmering/flickering artifact outlined in red, even when standing still (wish I had a video, but not practical). Also note the lack of coverage on Jensen's player model with "Very High" AO. It look like they literally pushed the radius out with "Very High," and that's it.

Timu

Damn, I have a 670 as well, but it's 4GB. Glad I'm going for the GTX 1070 months from now.

dr_rus

I was referring to some old news back in March. Maybe they dropped it later...

The game is using PhysX and APEX but they are obviously not GPU accelerated and are used for basic gameplay stuff like cloth simulation (you can turn that off in settings) and destructible stuff (walls?).

Pretty much the "High" settings. No MSAA, no Cloth Physics, no Contact Shadows and Vol Ligh on "On"

Just tried again, FPS dropped down below 10 at times. No idea what is going on.

Have you verified your card is running at the right clocks?

Also, I had an issue where my card's core clock refused to go above 1GHz (it should be ~2GHz). Setting power management to Prefer Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel solved it.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Can someone please post a Sharpening comparison? I'll be getting the PS4 version anyway, but I would still like to see how much it affects the IQ.
Hope a future patch give us a toggle option.

Damn, I have a 670 as well, but it's 4GB. Glad I'm going for the GTX 1070 months from now.

I have a 4gb 670 too! Paired with a 3570k. I figured it might make a difference but I guess not. Regret my purchase so far (got it at $35 during that price debacle, so I can't refund it) but when I fiddle with some more settings Ill report back

Can someone please post a Sharpening comparison? I'll be getting the PS4 version anyway, but I would still like to see how much it affects the IQ.
Hope a future patch give us a toggle option.

Sharpening Off:

Sharpening On:

I think it looks alright in motion, but it's too excessive. It could be a usable effect if it was more subtle.

I can take some shots later in brighter environments if you want. ;)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Sharpening Off:

Sharpening On:

uhggg.....yeah off is way better.
Thanks for posting!

Edit: more screens would be great! ;)

How do I do that?

You can check it with MSI Afterburner, the core clock should be greater than 1500MHz for the GTX 1070.

Alternatively just try setting the power setting to max performance, and just as a precaution reboot your PC - I've had it happen that my card would refuse to clock correctly after a driver crash. The dynamic power adjustment in these cards can be real finicky.

You can check it with MSI Afterburner, the core clock should be greater than 1500MHz for the GTX 1070.

Alternatively just try setting the power setting to max performance, and just as a precaution reboot your PC - I've had it happen that my card would refuse to clock correctly after a driver crash. The dynamic power adjustment in these cards can be real finicky.

Also test out a few other games to see if it's isolated to DX:MD or it it's a system wide issue.

Man, I really wish there was a way to apply the TAA to the environment only. It does a really great job of smoothing out the environmental aliasing, but the ridiculous face-blurring made me turn it off.

SMAA works okay, but the TAA definitely did a better job on the environment. Still, though, SMAA with light sharpening via Reshade seems to be the best way to go right now.

CHC

I have to say I'm really quite impressed by the temporal AA in this. Dirt cheap to run and pretty much stamps out all the jaggies. A little sharpening off sets the blur and on the whole I think it's a great looking image, even at native res, and especially for the cost. I can't imagine any reason you would use AA unless you had an absolute monster of a computer right now.

Again? In what new game besides Hitman (same engine as here, btw, as well as same AMD's sponsorship) is it faster than 1060?

Also if GameGPU DX12 benchmarks are of any indication I wouldn't expect DX12 to be much faster than DX11 here. Look at Hitman again, it's some +2-3 fps there.

I said new game, so DOOM (Vulkan), Warhammer: TW and Forza Motorsport Apex. 480 is clearly faster than 1060 in these games. It's a trend plain to see. This is more in reference to review sites that use loads of old games like BF3, Crysis 3 or GTA5 where Nvidia cards have a clear advantage though tbh.

Holy cow is this a demanding game. I can run The Witcher 3 maxed out (with hair shit) at 1080p with 50-75fps. This game maxed out has me between 28-40 fps. Not quite sure why. I wouldn't say the game is super impressive visually. Looks great, but not so great that my frame rate should be what it is.

Master Race complaint. Why no character shadow, in first person or third person?

Fantastapotamus

Hmm, it says 1506 MHz so it should be fine. I have no idea what is going on, I'll try your other method tomorrow. Kinda bummed out, this is the first new game I'm playing with my new 1070. Weird. Just weird. I mean I beat Arkham Knight and this runs better than that so....I guess I'll keep playing?

Thanks though!

Top Bottom