• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC performance thread

It depends on your personal preference - try both, use the one you like better.

Benchmark is supposedly more taxing than the game, you should be fine.
If not, you could try disabling volumetric lightning.

Simple: don't run the benchmark. It's not representative of the actual game. I'm getting a fairly solid 60 FPS while the bench gives me a 35 FPS average.
Well that's nice. :)
Nixxes usually does great ports, so I'm hoping for a good experience when I start on Friday. Thanks.

jrcbandit

Simple: don't run the benchmark. It's not representative of the actual game. I'm getting a fairly solid 60 FPS while the bench gives me a 35 FPS average.

Exactly, the benchmark is doing a huge disservice to the game and especially the Steam user reviews. People assume that the game is horribly optimized because of the low benchmark scores. I got 47 FPS in the benchmark and I'm getting 55-75 fps in game. Some of the outdoor hub areas are 55-60 fps, but most areas are around 65-75 fps for me.

Also, for the outdoor hub area, running the game in Fullscreen mode got rid of stutters. But I think there is some train bug where you might need to run the game in exclusive fullscreen mode for that scene.

Ok, so MSAA murders performance even at 2x, FXAA is bad, TAA makes it look super blurry and adding sharpening to it makes it look ugly. So is no AA the only option left?

There's 1 more option which is SMAA. I installed it using the typical mediator/reshade where DXMD.exe is located but had to go to the deux ex folder in steamapps and manually rename dxgi.dll to d3d11.dll to get it to work.

All in all it's a 3 fps hit for doing a decent job at removing jaggies somewhat and not blurring everything too much.

No AA:

8LTqeh6.png

SMAA:

jorimt

<rant>
I fucking hate that 4K/144Hz bullshit. Who can actually run modern games at that framerate and resolution? (Almost) nobody, that's who. I have OC'ed 1080 and I am glad to get 1440p60 in some games (not all). This "4K/144Hz" shit is everywhere - here's first comment from EG comparison of DE:MD on consoles - it''s on top because it has the most thumb ups:

The fuck you will, my sweet PC mustard rice buddy. Maybe in a few years, maybe never (see GTA IV).
I'd ban people like him from the internet.
</rant>

That is obnoxious, but then again, what article comment isn't? :p

When I said "144Hz," I meant, more generally, G-Sync, and when I say "G-Sync," I mean variable framerate. So yes, it's probably safe to say that 1440p with variable frames of 55-100+ fps are closer to the (high-end) norm than not nowadays, and TXAA's MSAA component isn't going to make that obtainable in the majority of cases, whereas TAA will.

Still can't play due to terrible framerate... Hoping for a performance patch soon, would be nice to at least play the thing over the weekend...

Still crashes on my 2 setups. Never crashed on my laptop though, probably due to the lower settings.

But I actually don't see that many people praising the performance. People with the best GPU on the planet seem happy, but people with a 980 seem to struggle with performance, including myself. I have to settle with Medium settings, and I'm not seeing anything that warrants the performance I'm getting.

That doesn't make sense since there are people in thread playing the game quite well on 970s on High settings.

Game runs fine for me (60 FPS most of the time) on the high preset with a i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz and a GTX 980.

The only problem I have is microstutter in the hub areas while walking around (textures set to high). Anyone have a fix for that? It's not terrible, but it is noticeable.

Piggus

Man, this is a nice looking game and such a huge improvement over Human Revolution (the recap video makes that clear). The thing that annoyed me about HR's visuals is the pre-rendered cutscenes used in-game assets but had really nice dynamic shadows that could have easily been an option on PC. Instead the playable game looked very... sterile.

dr_rus

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC GPU (DX11) performance benchmark review

Depends on how much you have to offer I think. I have 16GB and it sits around 10.

This was a spike, it's ~10GB usually but the commit size is 16GB as you can see so to have minimal HDD swapping you need to have more than 16GBs.

Check task manager.

What am I looking there for? It's the exact same numbers.

I'm sure you can play with such memory consumption even on a 4GB machine. Just prepare to see your HDD running all the time moving stuff in and out of swap file. Judging from what I see I stand on my claim that you need >16GB of RAM to play the game without excessive swapping on Ultra preset - 24 minimum.

This game has made a good case for developers never including MSAA in a game ever again. People are just too stupid.

Anyway, it runs very well for me: 60-100fps on a GTX 1080. 1400p / Ultra Settings / CHS "On" / Sharpen Off / CA Off / AO "On"

One thing I noticed is that there is a huge amount of AO shimmering when you turn off Sharpen when using AO set to Ultra. Changing AO to On resolves the issue. I think people are misdiagnosing this as TAA ghosting but it seems to be a bug with the aforementioned combination of post effects.

Mouse control sensitivity is out of control, as many have already remarked. I'm not convinced there's any actual acceleration though, just stupid high sensitivity and a weirdly inconsistent ratio of horizontal and vertical movement. Hopefully they can patch that quickly, it can't be too complicated... right?

I had my graphics driver crash once in the first 6 hours of play. I also ran into some UI soft locks when hitting ESC at the wrong time during menu transitions :(

The benchmark is significantly more demanding than the actual game, so don't assume your game will at the framerates reported by the benchmark.

Also, I had an issue where my card's core clock refused to go above 1GHz (it should be ~2GHz). Setting power management to Prefer Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel solved it.

<rant>
I fucking hate that 4K/144Hz bullshit. Who can actually run modern games at that framerate and resolution? (Almost) nobody, that's who. I have OC'ed 1080 and I am glad to get 1440p60 in some games (not all). This "4K/144Hz" shit is everywhere - here's first comment from EG comparison of DE:MD on consoles - it''s on top because it has the most thumb ups:

The fuck you will, my sweet PC mustard rice buddy. Maybe in a few years, maybe never (see GTA IV).
I'd ban people like him from the internet.
</rant>
I agree. People are delusional or haven't seen many recent benchmarks.

Durante

This game has made a good case for developers never including MSAA in a game ever again. People are just too stupid.

Anyway, it runs very well for me: 60-100fps on a GTX 1080. 1400p / Ultra Settings / CHS "On" / Sharpen Off / CA Off / AO "On"

One thing I noticed is that there is a huge amount of AO shimmering when you turn off Sharpen when using AO set to Ultra. Changing AO to On resolves the issue. I think people are misdiagnosing this as TAA ghosting but it seems to be a bug with the aforementioned combination of post effects.

Mouse control sensitivity is out of control, as many have already remarked. I'm not convinced there's any actual acceleration though, just stupid high sensitivity and a weirdly inconsistent ratio of horizontal and vertical movement. Hopefully they can patch that quickly, it can't be too complicated... right?

I had my graphics driver crash once in the first 6 hours of play. I also ran into some UI soft locks when hitting ESC at the wrong time during menu transitions :(

The benchmark is significantly more demanding than the actual game, so don't assume your game will at the framerates reported by the benchmark.

Also, I had an issue where my card's core clock refused to go above 1GHz (it should be ~2GHz). Setting power management to Prefer Maximum Performance in the Nvidia control panel solved it.
Yeah, I am also no longer convinced that there is any significant acceleration. I got used to it pretty quickly after reducing the sensitivity, and I never get used to bad mouse acceleration.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided PC GPU (DX11) performance benchmark review

This was a spike, it's ~10GB usually but the commit size is 16GB as you can see so to have minimal HDD swapping you need to have more than 16GBs.

What am I looking there for? It's the exact same numbers.

I'm sure you can play with such memory consumption even on a 4GB machine. Just prepare to see your HDD running all the time moving stuff in and out of swap file. Judging from what I see I stand on my claim that you need >16GB of RAM to play the game without excessive swapping on Ultra preset - 24 minimum.

RX 480 faster than 1060 in new games again, although that's not the case in NMS but that is buggy as hell and OpenGL.

I'd expect the 480 to be massively faster in the DX12 patch in Sept. Good news for AMD users.

Game runs fine for me (60 FPS most of the time) on the high preset with a i7 920 @ 4.0 ghz and a GTX 980.

The only problem I have is microstutter in the hub areas while walking around (textures set to high). Anyone have a fix for that? It's not terrible, but it is noticeable.

Turning Exclusive Fullscreen Off fixed microstutter in the hub for me.

d00d3n

Does the augmented reality work like it should here: (red rectangles)
20160824185314_1nwsl0.jpg

20160824185319_1lzsd0.jpg

20160824185334_17qs9z.jpg

That is, the augmented reality information is displaced notably to the right of the objects they give information about?

Or possibly a bug where the displacement is exaggerated on a 21:9 screen? (or possibly related to the FOV setting?)

Got a really weird bug, the game was suddenly showhing black artifacts, after that the game crashed saying not enough space for graphics lol.
I have a 1080 GTX by Gigabyte, 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM should be plenty enough lol.. I hope the hotfix patched some bugs.

The game looks quite blurry without sharpening. But with sharpening you notice the sharpening artifacts. Rock and a hard place and only way to avoid both would be by turning off TAA and use MSAA.

Use ReShade and set your own amount of sharpening. That's what I'm doing.

dogen

FXAA is awfully blurry by design

It isn't really. There's a parameter called subpixel anti aliasing that's responsible for almost all of the blurring. Most games leave it on, but if you use reshade/sweetfx you can disable it. PCSX2's FXAA also has it disabled and it looks pretty nice.

jorimt

I noticed the "Very High" AO flickering issue too, but what's really bizarre is that, while the coverage between "On" and "Very High" AO is massive, there appears to be virtually no performance difference...

8dVo.png

AO "Very High."

Yeah, I am also no longer convinced that there is any significant acceleration. I got used to it pretty quickly after reducing the sensitivity, and I never get used to bad mouse acceleration.

After a little more time, I'm actually reaching the same conclusion. at 800 dpi/6% sensitivity, I'm not sure there is as much acceleration and smoothing, as there is a difference in sensitivity between axis. Add that, with the absurdly high default sensitivity, and I think it's just throwing us off enough to think something is wrong with mouse input.

Dev acknowledgement would be nice, a patch to correct it would be better.

dr_rus

RX 480 faster than 1060 in new games again, although that's not the case in NMS but that is buggy as hell and OpenGL.

I'd expect the 480 to be massively faster in the DX12 patch in Sept. Good news for AMD users.

Again? In what new game besides Hitman (same engine as here, btw, as well as same AMD's sponsorship) is it faster than 1060?

Also if GameGPU DX12 benchmarks are of any indication I wouldn't expect DX12 to be much faster than DX11 here. Look at Hitman again, it's some +2-3 fps there.

Nzyme32

Does the augmented reality work like it should here: (red rectangles)
20160824185314_1nwsl0.jpg

20160824185319_1lzsd0.jpg

20160824185334_17qs9z.jpg

That is, the augmented reality information is displaced notably to the right of the objects they give information about?

Or possibly a bug where the displacement is exaggerated on a 21:9 screen? (or possibly related to the FOV setting?)

No.

Different aspect ratios to 16:9 are broken if in Exclusive Fullscreen. Even then, UI elements such as the quick inventory / aug menus are wrong when in borderless.

Having the same problem with 16:10 in exclusive mode, but obviously with issues being vertically messed up rather than horizontally

jorimt

Turning Exclusive Fullscreen Off fixed microstutter in the hub for me.

I just did a test on an identical save, with identical settings in an area of the hub with a racetrack style loop around a city block at full sprint...

dPBD.png

Exclusive fullscreen (left), borderless (right).

The framerate/frametime results on my G-Sync monitor between borderless and exclusive fullscreen are nearly identical, considering margin of error.

I even recently moved the game to my 850 Pro SSD, and while it helps a little, it is surprisingly not much better than my 5TB HDD when it comes to load stutter or load times.

heringer

Any fix for the framepacing issues? The game stutters like crazy, it's basically unplayable to me in Prague. First mission was fine.

it seems this game doesn't like gpu overclocks. it was mostly fine on my 280 for the first 6 hours until i decided to overclock the default 1.02ghz turbo speed to a 1.08ghz. 40mhz isn't that big of an overclock, right?

jrcbandit

Any fix for the framepacing issues? The game stutters like crazy, it's basically unplayable to me in Prague. First mission was fine.

It's been posted here multiple times, but run the game in Fullscreen mode to fix the stutter, not Exclusive full screen.

Pretty stupid of Nixxie to include MSAA support. Only 1070/1080/Titan XP SLI setup can really handle it using the proper SLI bits (default SLI bits has poor utilization/can actually slow down performance), and you get a ton of bitching/bad reviews because of people trying to enable it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
laN1eE7.png

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIUxfI8vZ4Y

Intel Core i5-750 @ 4GHz
EVGA GTX 970 SSC

FPS 55-75, scripted sequences are usually what make it dip below 60

There's a reason it's called sharpening and not disabling blurring. It's post processed and faked. There isn't any more information you're getting out of the image.

Get settings here, 60 more or less all the time. Thanks.

EDIT: Dropping to 40's sometimes, going to drop textures to v high

ibn Saïd;214852035 said:
it seems this game doesn't like gpu overclocks. it was mostly fine on my 280 for the first 6 hours until i decided to overclock the default 1.02ghz turbo speed to a 1.08ghz. 40mhz isn't that big of an overclock, right?

For what it is worth, I had to underclock mine. GTX 780.

My GPU could be dying tho.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is there a way to turn off the 50 company splash screens at the start of the game? I really love staring at what feels like an entire minute of splash screens every time I feel like playing.

I thought companies understood that this shit was really annoying years ago.

jrcbandit

For what it is worth, I had to underclock mine. GTX 780.

My GPU could be dying tho.

My 1070 memory overclock works fine at +600 in most games, had to lower it to +550 for Witcher 3, but now for Deus Ex I had to lower it further to +425. Seems very sensitive to overclocking.

d00d3n

No.

Different aspect ratios to 16:9 are broken if in Exclusive Fullscreen. Even then, UI elements such as the quick inventory / aug menus are wrong when in borderless.

Having the same problem with 16:10 in exclusive mode, but obviously with issues being vertically messed up rather than horizontally

The augmented reality information is displaced about the same in exclusive fullscreen and borderless for me ... :( Haven't noticed any other UI issues to be honest, except that the hacking window often requires movement with the arrow keys to see closeby nodes.

Calmine

Really weird. Playing at 3440x1440 gives me these small black bars on each side. So I created a new custom resolution. 2800 x 1200 and it got rid of them and of course gave me a bit of a performance boost. Very happy now :D

Peterthumpa

Really weird. Playing at 3440x1440 gives me these small black bars on each side. So I created a new custom resolution. 2800 x 1200 and it got rid of them and of course gave me a bit of a performance boost. Very happy now :D

I'm having the same problem, but only on pre rendered cutscenes. Resolution is standard 1080 or 1440p though, not sure why it happens.

Arkanius

Mine is sitting at 13% and it's an improvement, but something still feels off.

Fitts

Benchmarking tool is garbage in this game. I wasted a ton of time adjusting shit trying to hit 60, gave up and just went down to the very high setting, and it spit out nearly the exact same results as the ultra preset. Just left it there and rolled on. The game proper looks and runs much better than the benchmark anyway.

I'll just go back to ultra and bump down the shadows/lighting to "on" as recommended here. Looking to hit 60 at 1080p on a 1070 (don't really care if there's a dip here or there) so I should be fine, right?

FtsH

Can anyone confirm if this game uses PhsyX? if so, is there any ways to turn it off by editing some "secret" files or registry table?

Is there a way to turn off the 50 company splash screens at the start of the game? I really love staring at what feels like an entire minute of splash screens every time I feel like playing.

I thought companies understood that this shit was really annoying years ago.

The sad thing is that they got it right with HR. You could skip all of the logos in that one.

Top Bottom