• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Toa TAK

Banned
Bruh, what Avatar thread have you been posting on?

Still in denial, I see.
Whatever.
Ah, yes. Battlefield.

Zzzzzzz....
I've been waiting for WW1 forever now. Loved the Beta, so it's on lock. It's single player will suck, though, because DICE.
You guys should play R6 Siege if you want a real multiplayer game. It has waifus too, in a way...

I played at during its free weekend, too. Thought it was pretty neat. Wasn't enough to get me to cash out on it, though.

I guess Waifus can come from anything. >_>

I actually like this one.
tumblr_nnfffz0aiS1txzzezo1_1280.png

Veelk

Banned
Whaaaaat.

So that means you're hyped for the new COD, right?

I'm not.

No. But I could see myself being hyped if they did more that caught my interest in some way.

But if you have no jet pack abilities whatsoever and your character can only jump a foot into the air and the enemies are just normal humans using normal weapons and you can't shoot fire or lightning out of your fingers or anything, I just don't really understand what the point of the game is.

Toa TAK

Banned
No. But I could see myself being hyped if they did more that caught my interest in some way.

But if you have no jet pack abilities whatsoever and your character can only jump a foot into the air and the enemies are just normal humans using normal weapons and you can't shoot fire or lightning out of your fingers or anything, I just don't really understand what the point of the game is.

It's funny you say that, because all those things are what finally put me off to the damn thing. Wasn't thrilled with the CODXP event reveals. Didn't like all the jumping around in AW's multiplayer, and thought BOIII, while toned down, would be the end of it all. BOIII has some personality so that helps it, but still. Too much shit going on in IW.

I'll probably Redbox it, though to see if Infinity Ward can deliver a good single player again.

Veelk

Banned
Sounds more like bad game design than anything else. You don't want to overcomplicate the game. Too much stuff happening can definitely ruin it. I mean, I liked Halo a lot better before they added loadouts. But Halo had crazy sci-fi shit day one, they just kept it simple.

Toa TAK

Banned
Speaking of good games, have you played Halo 5? The Forge and file sharing update is fantastic. I just need that server browser ASAP.

Veelk

Banned
No xbox. Also, I heard the campaign isn't very good, which is the main reason why I play halo games. I hear they did very well with the MP though, so for those who are more into that, I'm happy for them.

Toa TAK

Banned
No xbox. Also, I heard the campaign isn't very good, which is the main reason why I play halo games. I hear they did very well with the MP though, so for those who are more into that, I'm happy for them.
Yeah campaign sucked. Which is why I mainly buy it.

They did excel with the multiplayer, though, when I want a Halo fix I boot up TMCC instead.

Edit: What was this thread about again?

Veelk

Banned
Have any of you seen Stranger Things?

Stranger things was like a long echo of my childhood. Like I yelled it into an empty void, and nothing came back, and I went on with my life, until one day, out of nowhere, my voice found me again. It was strange, because it was so different from how I remembered it, yet so exactly like how it was. Like it grew it's own life and changed a bit, but I still knew it.

That's what stranger things was to me.

Stranger things was like a long echo of my childhood. Like I yelled it into an empty void, and nothing came back, and I went on with my life, until one day, out of nowhere, my voice found me again. It was strange, because it was so different from how I remembered it, yet so exactly like how it was. Like it grew it's own life and changed a bit, but I still knew it.

That's what stranger things was to me.

speaking of stranger things

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm surrounded by old people.

Yep, and really wish that Asami got more to do in the series. Remember when people said she was going to be one of the bad guys just because she was too pretty to be good? Good times :)
At this point, I feel her being a villain would've been a better move to make her more interesting. Maybe then she can jump over to the good guys and we can still have Korrasami.

Veelk

Banned
Remember when Asami was the only one who got a coherent narrative arc in the entire first season?

And how we expected them to go further with that in the later ones?

Those were good times.

Toa TAK

Banned
Remember when Asami was the only one who got a coherent narrative arc in the entire first season?

And how we expected them to go further with that in the later ones?

Those were good times.
Makes me glad I jumped in at the tail end of book 3.

Veelk

Banned
I actually prefer the Evil Suyin theory. Jaded likes it because he hates her to some extent and it also fuels his fetishes, but I just like the idea. Kind of an evil Tenzin sort of thing for Kuvira. I incorperated it into my fanfic rewrite of LoK.

Veelk

Banned
Oh, Kuvira does her own thing in my version. Suyin definitely holds a lot of influence, but....fuck it, let me write it out. It's long overdue anyway.

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh, Kuvira does her own thing in my version. Suyin definitely holds a lot of influence, but....fuck it, let me write it out. It's long overdue anyway.

Yes please.

Defend your waifu using bullet points.
1. She's not my waifu.

2. She brought stability to the Earth Kingdom

3. She propelled militaristic technological advances from Exo-suits all the way up to Giant Mechs.

4. She did everything right by her people who had been suffering prior to Zaheer's assassination of the Queen.

5. Forced the Avatar to open another Spirit Portal.

All good things to me.

1. She's not my waifu.

2. She brought stability to the Earth Kingdom

3. She propelled militaristic technological advances from Exo-suits all the way up to Giant Mechs.

4. She did everything right by her people who had been suffering prior to Zaheer's assassination of the Queen.

5. Forced the Avatar to open another Spirit Portal.

All good things to me.

So, that little destroying Republic City, forcefully taking over the Earth Kingdom and subjugating its citizens or throwing them in North Korean styled labor camps, almost killing the Avatar, killing Hiroshi, and trying to destroy a town with her Nazi death cannon are just figments of our imagination right?

Trey

Halo 5 campaign is a mixed bag. It actually has some of the best encounters in the entire series, and the suite of weapons is really fun to play with. But the forced co op holds the game back because the AI is dumb as bricks, and I never cared about fireteam Osiris.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, so the summary of Book 2 of LoK is going to be a bit shorter because I don't feel like looking for my notes.

I also never did a write up of Amon, which if a bit relevant. Honestly, I didn't technically change too much with him. Same basic backstory of his father being abusive....but the whole "I can bloodbend the goddamn city!" thing is thrown out. It's OP, ruins the uniqueness of the mythical connection to the moon, and doesn't make sense with Amon's debending abilities. Instead, Amon is just a regular crime lord that Aang took down. Tarrlok didn't show waterbending abilities until later (he's not great at waterbending) and their mom wasn't a bender, so he basically grew up in a bigot's home talking about how anyone who couldn't bend was shit. Noatak eventually comes under the influence of an evil spirit, who exasperbates his feelings of bitterness and resentment, and as Noatak gives in more to him, the more powerful he becomes. He is able to give Noatak the gift of debending in exchange for more influence, until they are both starters of their movement. So when Amon is defeated, it's not because he fell in water, it's because Korra forces the spirit out, reducing Noatak to just a man, much less fanatical, less charismatic, less everything. I should note this isn't an instanteous process (especially because Amon DID have connections to the Red Lotus in my version), but Amon's ultimate fate is to slowly be a voice of progress for non-bender rights and representation in republic city, working with the Avatar.

Anyway, So, Korra's defeated Amon, Asami's story was similar to hers in Season 1 in regards to her father, but she actually was working to bring down the triads as a costumed hero before, and she just joined Korra because she's the goddamn avatar. Mako and Bolin are not really up to romance shenanigans, but Mako at this point has a health admiration for Korra that edges a bit into romance, while Bolin is her personal fanboy/friend, and they basically are a Krew at this point. No romance between Asami and Mako. They, plus Tenzin, have all bonded together at some point and care about each other.

So, next step, Korra has to learn to access her avatar state (which she didn't in the first season). Asami took down the Triad bosses, but they still somehow have a functioning network. Asami has already sensed a shadow boss pulling the strings in season 1, and this season is about finding out who. Mako and Bolin have both taken to heroics via their adventure with Korra and THAT has incentivized them to find opportunity in fighting against crime, so both of them join the police task force as apprentices under Lin. Lin works with Korra and Asami often on Triad business, so it's a nice way to set everything up. But there are questions that linger on the Krew's mind. What was that spirit, and how did it get there? And what was the Red Lotus that Amon talked about?

Well, the story would be combining a lot of parts of season 2 and 3 and then making up a chunk of it by myself. The Krew would get a message that they must travel to Suyin's city. Korra is attacked by the Z-team, and while they fight them off temporarily, Tenzin recognizes them as the ones who assassinated Aang, which basically makes him think "oh shit, Korra can't stay here." They needed to go to Zaofu, for many reasons. 1. it's one of the safest places in the world, 2. it's set on a spiritual location that could be contusive to Korra's education (one of the many controversies that Suyin faced was building her city on/near a spiritual area that many thought should be preserved), 3. there is evidence to suggest that the Triad is bigger than Republic City itself, and Bolin and Mako (and Korra and Asami, by association) are tasked to follow a slim lead.

Once they get there, Suyin and Kuvira are both there to help them. Kuvira, as I said, is often going on her own missions that Suyin sends her off on, but for this, she was pulled back to help and protect the Avatar from the Red Lotus. Kuvira here is an interesting experiment because she's essentially the sixth ranger, trying to fit in to a group that has already solidified it's friendships with the known members already....even though she already knew Korra and had a real friendship with her, it wasn't the kind of that the Krew had. The Krew were close and open and warm and affectionate, while Korra and Kuvira's were close in their own way, but not explicitely so. It makese her feel like something of an outsider, like she is losing a friend. But throughout the season, she does try and bond to the rest of the Krew, especially to Korra who she values above all others. She also likes to spend time with Suyin, who she sees as a motherfigure.

Here is where we get the backstory of Kuvira. She was an orphan girl. She remembered that her parents were rich and wealthy people, but not much else. There was an attack by some kinds of Terrorists in the earth kingdom. Suyin found her, and took her in. She raised Kuvira closely, but Kuvira never knew....stability. Sometimes she felt like she was her full fledged daughter, sometimes like a beloved friend rather than family, and she couldn't ever tell if that was a real feeling with Suyin or if it was just her insecurity or even just memories that she was, in fact, an adopted orphan. She was certainly raised differently than the rest of the family. But then again, everyone in that family took to something unique. Was it so different that Kuvira took to combat and military from a young age while Opal took to painting, Bataar Jr. to engineering, and so on? It's a question that plagued her mind. Something she shared with Korra, who reassured her that Suyin loved her like a daughter.

The Red Lotus were coming, and Korra needed to tap into her Avatar Spirit. It took a while, but Tenzin finally worked up the courage to help his student get to where she needed to be...and to do that, they needed to travel to the spirit world to seek help. Tenzin, if you don't remember, had a bad experience doing this. It's why he prefers dry, hard aspects of Airbending like simple meditation or studying the histories and so on. But Korra needed to connect to her past lives, so into the spirit realm she went. There, they would learn about how to Spirit bend. I wanted to make sure that Korra learned something new every season, like Aang did in TLA, and since she has all the elements down, here we can discover more about how the spirit world works, so this is my new interpretation. In the spirit world, you don't bend fire, or earth, or any physical property, because they don't materially exist. In the spirit realm, you bend the actual thing that powers those physical elements. So if is drive and motivation that create fire when firebending, in the spirit realm, you bend drive and motivation itself. This, we discover, is what Aang did to Ozai in the TLA finale. Physically, Ozai is fine, but he literally took away his drive, which means not only could he not focus enough to create fire, but he could barely motivate himself to move his limbs. I think this is a cool idea, a kind of bending that warps not physical properties, but who you are as a person. I always found this idea to be scary and definitely worse than killing a person. In this, we have Korra fight some kind of enemy, maybe spiritual Zaheer or else maybe another spirit. In any case, here they learn more about what is going on, who the Red Lotus are, what the goals are, etc.

The Red Lotus want to indeed take the Avatar out of this world, and spirits are creatures who are manifested by the influences that occur in the real world. The spirit that attached itself to Noatak was called Amon, he was the Spirit of the Hundred Years War. Not long after the War ended, it tried to revive it, but was stopped by the avatar. It's old now, and the world's changed so much that it is impossible to make it work anymore. A new spirit was born from it which was the spirit of the Red Lotus, who has the same antagonism toward the avatar, but adjusted for the new world that can no longer see the revival of the old war. But Amon, the Spirit of the Old War, with no chance of being returned to his former glory, he just wants to kill himself and he can only do that by taking away bending, which is how he was able to drive Amon's rage further than it would have gone on it's own. But it's successor, the Spirit of Destruction and Rebirth of the World (in this case, meaning society) would live on, because the Red Lotus was thriving. It didn't want to revive the old war, but it wanted to shape the new world, and it was omnipresent, operating in every corner where Red Lotus members operated. But the bigger spirits are, the harder it is for them to enter into the world...but if they can, they would be able to end the avatar, and from there a new age would begin as people would need a new world leader that brings the four nations together. The spirit gives them flashes of it's plans. Destruction of the Earth Kingdom and the rise of Zaofu. In the symbolic birth of the new world order, it would there would be an opening, and it could enter the real world in a more meaningful way than it could with Amon. Korra ends the old spirit using spirit bending. When she takes away his last remnant of drive to continue his war, even against bending itself, it disappears.

Anyway, meanwhile, Asami, Bolin, Mako and Kuvira have been investigating the trail that Suyin gave them, and they kept finding more and more evidence of a criminal empire network system. Messengers with coded messages, supplies that would ship and supply the Triad with weapons and authority figures if necessary....it was well hidden, but one discovery lead to another, and the cover up just kept getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger... (I know this sounds like it's vague, but I'd be more detailed on an episode by episode basis. We'd have plenty of time. A lot of season 2 of TLA was spent just getting to Ba Sing Se, while the Krew would spend nearly all their time in Zaofu, so plenty of time for various kinds of exploration. Asami and the rest still get their own various miniarcs, it's just, i'm trying to keep this as short as I can).

Eventually, Asami and the rest had to realize that Suyin's entire city has been taken over by some kind of shadow government. Whatever mysterious master the Triads had in Republic City, their presence was stronger here. Kuvira brought this to Suyin, begging her that she needed to know what to do, now that her entire home has been revealed to be not just under siege but already defeated from the inside. Suyin tried to think of what to do...but there was nothing for it and she revealed herself to be the actual Triad shadow master. Her criminal empire has been spread throughout of the Earth Kingdom, but Zaofu was her base of operations, the distance from which she controlled the entire nation...or tried to, since the real Earth Kingdom has fought her.

Suyin captures the Krew, and Kuvira gets her own cell. Suyin thinks she might still turn her. After all, she raised Kuvira as a daughter. She revealed to her. She wasn't just some ordinary orphan. She was the princess heir to the Earth Kingdom itself. The truly rightful queen, as the queen that ruled now was a despot. How much better she would be sitting on the throne, once that awful woman was removed from power. She could bring peace and prosperity to a nation that she KNEW was corrupt and evil, and instill the values taht Suyin raised her with. (I'm trying to imagine Suyin pretty similar, atleast superficially, to how she was in the show. A progressive, polite, human rights advocating kind of leader. Suyin justified what she did under the fact that she believes that crime and corruption under her control is better than out of control. I want to make a point that she might be right. Better is not "good", but I like to think she might have a small point under everything else). Kuvira is left to stew that over. Asami and Mako and Bolin spit in her face about it when she goes to give them the same spiel. They personally experienced her 'controlled' corruption. They're not impressed. Kuvira, not wanting to believe her mother has truly become evil, tentatively says that she agrees. She's still unsure if she truly believes, but she wants to. Asami, Mako and Bolin all feel betrayed by her.

Korra eventually returns. She's been captured by Zaheer and his team. She panics, but there's little she can do. Suyin demands that the Red Lotus uphold their end, and they say they do. Zaheer uses his spirit thing to send messages to get the Earth Kingdom assassination plot started. Kuvira in the meantime struggles, as Korra pleas and argues with her beloved friend about what she's doing. Kuvira wavers....eventually giving Korra a chance to escape, but unsure where that leaves her with Suyin and her family. From there, Korra and company have to defeat the Z-team, which is very difficult as not only are they all extremely skilled benders, but also have reinforcements coming. Korra, however, can go into the avatar state now....which of course is her when she's at her greatest risk. Zaheer beats her down, severing her connection to her lives. To his goals, he wanted to eliminate the Avatar....and he, for all purposes, did. Korra was reduced to just being a bender now. A bender of all 4 elements, sure, but that was hardly important when she was not able to bring force the hurricane force of a thousand lifetimes. He leaves her, seeing no point in harming her further.

In the moment of weakness and identity crisis, Kuvira is the first one she sees and they have a major falling out over her actions, and the Krew have no desire to help her after what they see as an ultimate betrayal. "You were never one of us", they say something to the affect of, which is the worst thing you can say to Kuvira. With the reveal of Suyin, her family also kind of falls apart. Kuvira was always closer to Suyin, more than anyone else, so Opal, Bataar Sr., etc....especially given that Kuvira sided with Suyin, they doubt her. They don't reject her, but they doubt her, and that's more than enough to send Kuvira running. Only Bataar Jr. followed after her.

She somehow ends up at the spirital center of the city...where the new destruction spirit is awaiting a vessel that has a desire to see a new world...one where she will fit in, because she will make it.

Korra and company now are in hiding. Republic City is not safe, though Tenzin needs to go to make sure his family is okay, and SOMEONE has to break the news to Lin so they can start fighting back. Korra lost her connection to her past lives, but as her friends gathered around her, she remembered what she felt when she defeated Amon. It wasn't her bending that made her the avatar, it was her spirit. She was connected to all 4 elements, and all 4 nations. Being the avatar meant you didn't give up, so she would find a way to root out the Red Lotus. She would save the Earth Kingdom.

I mean Hiroshi was going to die any way, she just sped up the process. Yo Veelk wtf man, I have to eat at some point. Um Veelk...you do realize that you have the Avatar lobotomizing people right? Fucking Justice Lord Korra. Lol at Su being a Triad shadow master. I will admit she's much more believable as that than as a goodie two shoes. You don't just on the fly think of a way to blow off someones head.

Veelk

Banned
Eh...I know what lobotomization actually does, and it's not that, but I know waht your getting at. I mean, that's what I always thought Aang did anyway. Either that, or he's basically hobbling Ozai.

It's kind of a pick your poison sort of situation, and why I never really cared about why the whole "Why doesn't he just kill him?" when what Aang seems like a fate worse than death sort of deal. I also think that Aang didn't actually know 100% the implications of what he was doing. Lobotomy isn't something a person in his period of technological advancement would really understand. He just wanted a way not to kill Ozai, so he took his chance. I do imagine that this haunts him sometimes in the future...though I don't think he saw any other options, even in hindsight.

When did Suyin think to blow off someone's head though? Am I forgetting something here?

Eh...I know what lobotomization actually does, and it's not that, but I know waht your getting at. I mean, that's what I always thought Aang did anyway. Either that, or he's basically hobbling Ozai.

It's kind of a pick your poison sort of situation, and why I never really cared about why the whole "Why doesn't he just kill him?" when what Aang seems like a fate worse than death sort of deal.
The thing with Aang though is that murder isn't exactly isn't in his personality, he's not really capable of it. Dude's not Killua. I like what you did with Kuvira. Would be nice seeing her actually trying to get along with the Krew in an awkward fashion only for her abandonment issues to get in the way, and they would. I can actually imagine her being defensive with Korra, wanting to take her away from the Krew so she can spend time with her and then she gets jealous like severely jealous if they can't cause she's driving around with Asami. If she's not really "part of the Krew" wouldn't they also tease her a little bit? Would be interesting hearing a non Korra opinion about her. We know Korra likes her, but what would Asami or Mako think about her personality? Would Korra defend her, would they fight about it? Would she cause a bit of a rift that her eventual betrayal would almost shatter the Krew? Dude remember P'Li? There's no way in hell she died with her head firmly on her shoulders.

Veelk

Banned
Well, the thing is, like I outlined in Korra's background, Kuvira doesn't really have an easy time socializing. Suyin kind of kept her isolated to her. It's a very subtle form of emotional abuse, because it makes Kuvira dependent on her for social acceptance. Every other interaction that Kuvira had was limited, because Suyin kept her in a bubble. She learned enough to talk and stuff, but not enough to...connect. One of the reasons that she connects with Korra is because she was in a similar bubble when she was in the Water Tribe facility. She only had teachers around. So they were two of a kind. Then, when she meets Korra again, Korra actually ingrained herself in the lives of the rest of the Krew.

I think if given time, Kuvira would have really become one of the Krew as well, but between a lifetime of difficulty connecting with people and the seeing Korra's friends as potential rivals and just the short amount of time spent together and the fact that their crisis event split them apart (while Amon's thread is what brought the Krew closer together), it just went worse than it would.

But yeah, I forgot about P'li. I had images of decapitation in mind, but in that case, you could argue she was just trying to prevent the explosion from reaching Korra, and....it just ended with a really messy result. You'd think there would be some kind of disturbed reaction shot for that. That shit would haunt my nightmares if I did it to someone, even in a fight.

Well, the thing is, like I outlined in Korra's background, Kuvira doesn't really have an easy time socializing. Suyin kind of kept her isolated to her. It's a very subtle form of emotional abuse, because it makes Kuvira dependent on her for social acceptance. Every other interaction that Kuvira had was limited, because Suyin kept her in a bubble. She learned enough to talk and stuff, but not enough to...connect. One of the reasons that she connects with Korra is because she was in a similar bubble when she was in the Water Tribe facility. She only had teachers around. So they were two of a kind. Then, when she meets Korra again, Korra actually ingrained herself in the lives of the rest of the Krew.

I think if given time, Kuvira would have really become one of the Krew as well, but between a lifetime of difficulty connecting with people and the seeing Korra's friends as potential rivals and just the short amount of time spent together and the fact that their crisis event split them apart (while Amon's thread is what brought the Krew closer together), it just went worse than it would.

But yeah, I forgot about P'li. I had images of decapitation in mind, but in that case, you could argue she was just trying to prevent the explosion from reaching Korra, and....it just ended with a really messy result. You'd think there would be some kind of disturbed reaction shot for that. That shit would haunt my nightmares if I did it to someone, even in a fight.
I really don't think Su cared since she never brought up blowing a persons head off again. She just seemed to emotionally react to it like going out to get some milk. Wouldn't Kuvira yearn to try to recapture the bond she had with Korra though? She's not an emotionless vegetable, she's just a bit "detached," but her bond with Korra proves that she can attach to a person that isn't Su. Wouldn't Kuvira also actually hate Su for what her upbringing did to her through watching Korra with the Krew? Wouldn't she at some point be aggravated by her social inability? Even I'm like that at times just watching people interacting. What does your Kuvira do in her spare time? Does she indulge in anything? Any hobbies? I would imagine her trying to draw her parents and getting mad about not being able to remember their faces so she has a scrap book of drawings, nothing really fancy of some of the adventures that her and Korra used to go on. Something that proves she really appreciated the stuff they did. It's something she really kept private, but something that she wanted to show Korra herself one day.

Veelk

Banned
To that, I can mostly just say emotions are complicated. You can feel resentment while still feeling attachment to your parent figure. Emotional abusers also make it so that their victims don't really know that the abuse is actually...well, abuse. Kuvira actually enjoys what she does, learning to excel at being not just a soldier but also doing other shit like dancing. I don't see Kuvira having much in the way of an artistic side, but I can see her collecting momento's that she believes her mom and dad would get her.

She does like sci-fi though, I can tell that. She's part of a generation that is on the cusp of a technological revolution, much like we've seen in the show with Verrick's inventions, and she's very much into the possibilities, which speculative fiction provides her with escapist fantasies of. Edit: This would probably mean that she and Asami would hit it off best if they ever started talking about Future Industry's R and D.

And like I said, she eventually WOULD get attached to the rest of the Krew. It's just that circumstances don't give her the time and opportunity she needs.

To that, I can mostly just say emotions are complicated. You can feel resentment while still feeling attachment to your parent figure. Emotional abusers also make it so that their victims don't really know that the abuse is actually...well, abuse. Kuvira actually enjoys what she does, learning to excel at being not just a soldier but also doing other shit like dancing. I don't see Kuvira having much in the way of an artistic side, but I can see her collecting momento's that she believes her mom and dad would get her.

She does like sci-fi though, I can tell that. She's part of a generation that is on the cusp of a technological revolution, much like we've seen in the show with Verrick's inventions, and she's very much into the possibilities, which speculative fiction provides her with escapist fantasies of.

And like I said, she eventually WOULD get attached to the rest of the Krew. It's just that circumstances don't give her the time and opportunity she needs.
Ok, does she ever wonder what would've happened if she met the Krew earlier? I'm not saying she's a good artist, probably fucking Bolin tier, but it makes her sort of a cute villain in a way. It humanizes her. I'd like to think that there are things that Kuvira used to do as a kid that she still does as an adult, she does seem like the type that has had a rather stunted childhood. Like how some people still have that one stuffed animal till they practically die and stuff like that, something that connects her to the kid she used to be instead of it just dying off after living with Su.
I click on this thread and got hit with a Veelk. We're back
Thread has come full circle. Me reading said Veelk:
553a98434aa21808310057d3.jpg

Toa TAK

Banned
Veelk, I'm going to have to read that on break later tonight.

Why'd you quote me?
I meant to say something like "About time" but then I forgot being more focused on replying to Feenix.
So, that little destroying Republic City, forcefully taking over the Earth Kingdom and subjugating its citizens or throwing them in North Korean styled labor camps, almost killing the Avatar, killing Hiroshi, and trying to destroy a town with her Nazi death cannon are just figments of our imagination right?
It's always for the greater good. Hiroshi had it coming since Book 1, it was only non-Earth Bending citizens being thrown in and it's not like they were being gassed or anything. Korra almost being killed is a completely normal thing for this show, I mean she almost gets killed by her own imagination for God's sake. And using her own Dora to destroy an ABANDONED town isn't anything new. We do it all the time.

I don't see anything bad about these things.
Halo 5 campaign is a mixed bag. It actually has some of the best encounters in the entire series, and the suite of weapons is really fun to play with. But the forced co op holds the game back because the AI is dumb as bricks, and I never cared about fireteam Osiris.

Bro, you've got to show me these "best encounters". None of them hold a cradle to Reach, even. I'm mixed about Osiris, though. I think they have potential, but I really, really wanted more of a Chief focused story. By the time we got to his second level, I had a feeling there wasn't going to be much left. :\ 343 better get their campaign stuff straight for 6. At least they added in campaign scoring, so that's great.

AI is bad, though, I agree.

Veelk

Banned
As long as you leave some kind of feedback. This isn't a real story, just an outline, and it's the roughest of drafts, but it's still awkward whenever I write out something like that and just hear crickets.

Toa TAK

Banned
I dig the idea of Kuvira's development here. Since we don't get much of that in the main series. Trying to mix into a group only to be rejected is standard villain fare but it's great here as it comes to the crossroad of her choosing leadership somewhere else and it being seeing as a betrayal.

The relationship with her and Suyin is also a lot better here. Keeping her chained away emotionally is great.

I want more Veelk. Mostly because we have nothing else here.

I dig the idea of Kuvira's development here. Since we don't get much of that in the main series. Trying to mix into a group only to be rejected is standard villain fare but it's great here as it comes to the crossroad of her choosing leadership somewhere else and it being seeing as a betrayal.

The relationship with her and Suyin is also a lot better here. Keeping her chained away emotionally is great.

I want more Veelk. Mostly because we have nothing else here.
I imagine at some point Suyin becomes Kuvira's final boss when Kuvira realizes that she essentially kept Kuvira from being a fully developed person emotionally.

Veelk

Banned
The one thing I really don't like what I'm doing is the Spirit-Human interaction.

I'm not a big fan of "Is driven insane" or similar plots because that means the choice is kind of taken away from the character in question. If their not making their own decisions, it's not their character being developed.

I like the idea of the spirits being an active force in the world. Again, that's not something you saw much of in TLA because the spirits were mostly content to just help people out in the background. I like to think that was partially because they were limited and they also didn't want to have too much to do with the real world. The spirit in question here is far more actively trying to impact the real world.

So it's a balancing act, but I would want to work on making sure that Noatak and Kuvira are still their own people and not blameless just because a spirit got them.

Glad you guys like what I did with Suyin though. I think that's probably the single biggest change I made. I don't mind Suyin so much in the original series, but if we're going to make her single most accomplished human being in fiction, I think it's more interesting if we have her be a bit sinister than just a perfectly normal woman who just happened to build a goddamn city on her own. It also gives the series a villain that is not affiliated with the Red Lotus, which I feel helps diversify the cast a bit.

Then shouldn't you have Kuvira seek out the destruction spirit after she's cast out? She strikes a deal with it to remake the world in her own image cause she's tired of living in a world where there's nothing for her to connect to. Everything in her world is pretty much a lie so she's going to shape it as she sees fit. Cause why not? To her the world that she builds has to be better than a world full of lies where she was isolated by Suyin. As I said. Suyin is more believable as a main villain. She always seemed like she was hiding a lot of unsavory shit.

Top Bottom