• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

ethomaz

Banned
That is the point.

You see the previews that looks like good impressions comparing it with popular games... you start to read them and see the most things didn't match and the game suffer from a lot of issues and negative points... you watch the videos.

You know it won't be good.

Of course sometimes you get surprised with the final game and that is a good thing to happen but you lower your expectation with the previews and videos from the game more and more and more at the point the lower scores is expected.

FFXV previews has the same things (and others games... I just used a near release game) when you read the them... the writer looks like a big fan wanted it to be good and praising some random parts of it feel is good and after that he says all the issues that makes a low score game in a superficial way thinking everything will be fixed in the final game lol

Odd that the last really positive review I read and I didn't find anything that makes me things it will bomb was Horizon from Game Informer... everything fits perfectly without down parts.

At the first reveal I was really interested in this game but we only saw a trailer. When we saw more information at the last E3 I wasn't sure how I felt and it looked a little rough. This past week I have been watching people play the game and for some reason it has really drawn me in. The downfalls are obvious but the game simply looks fun. These reviews are a little worrisome but I still think I'm going to have fun with this game. I'm going to purchase it and give it a shot.

Honestly go for it. There are a few reviewers who liked the game and your opiniin on the game could end up aligning with them.
To be safe though wait for the first big pricecut and buy physical so you can sell it if the majority of the reviews are proven right.

That is the point.

You see the previous that looks like good impressions comparing it with popular games... you start to read them and see the most things didn't match and the game suffer from a lot of issues and negative points... you watch the videos.

You know it won't be good.

Of course sometimes you get surprised with the final game and that is a good thing to happen but you lower your expectation with the previews and videos from the game more and more and more at the point the lower scores is expected.

FFXV previews has the same things (and others games... I just used a near release game) when you read the them... the writer looks like a big fan wanted it to be good and praising some random parts of it feel is good and after that he says all the issues that makes a low score game in a superficial way thinking everything will be fixed in the final game lol

Odd that the last really positive review I read and I didn't find anything that makes me things it will bomb was Horizon from Game Informer... everything fits perfectly without down parts.

The FFXV previews aren't doing the same thing though. None of them are being hyperbolic claiming it's the next Witcher or Elder Scrolls. They all say that, while it has issues it needs to iron out, it's surprisingly good. God knows how it will turn out, but to say that it's heading the same way as ReCore is nonsense.

ethomaz

Banned
The FFXV previews aren't doing the same thing though. None of them are being hyperbolic claiming it's the next Witcher or Elder Scrolls. They all say that, while it has issues it needs to iron out, it's surprisingly good. God knows how it will turn out, but to say that it's heading the same way as ReCore is nonsense.
I didn't say nothing about headlines lol

I read previews from press and GAFers... I don't let the headline mistake me.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Can Inafune make anything original anymore? I don't think so.
Honestly at this point, I'd be very very wary/cautious of anything associated with Keiji Inafune after these mediocre attempts. Dude is toxic as of right now as far as I'm concerned.

Hideki Kamiya said it best a while back:

GZySFk2.jpg

All those great impressions from E3 and other show floors though! I knew something was wrong with this game when the only way to describe it was to call it another game like zelda, metroid, megaman, blahblah.

Koozek

Did you read them? There are big issues that makes me think it won't reach the score people are expecting here.
There are far from positives.
Then you haven't read the previews. What is the biggest issue for you personally? From what I know of your posts in the last years it's probably the combat - which the previews described as feeling more snappy and fluid than in the demos before. The general outlook of basically all of them is clearly positive with concerns about the unpolished visuals mainly (well, SE realized themselves that it needed 2 more months of polish).

Every game has some weaker parts that you can overlook if you like some of the other parts well enough. Deadly Premonition is one of my faves even though it's technically one of the worst games I've played. What is your all-time Top 3? I'll bet I could find you glaring issues in those games that seemingly didn't distract you enough from the aspects you loved.

Regarding the previews:
- The visuals are already improving when looking at the recent footage from PAX or the Japanese 30min video compared to the build the press previewed.
- Not everyone will care about limited driving in FFXV, as nobody expected GTA or Need for Speed, but in fact it did get changed a bit after the feedback after the previews and is now a bit less restricted while on the road. In the end it's supposed to bring you from A to B while establishing a feeling of a long road-trip. We got Chocobos for fast off-road travel.
- Combat as I said above feels snappier than before from many of the impressions. Now they had the whole spectrum of combat to your disposal to make the combat more varied and dynamic than in either of the two demos before - party attacks, party commandos, magic, weapon switching, unique parries etc.
- A bit of jank here and there is totally acceptable for a game of this scale and volume. Name we one AAA, open-world RPG that doesn't have it. You can't expect Uncharted 4 level of polish for every inch of this huge a world with so many character, NPCs, towns, cities, dungeons etc.

EDIT: Okay, read your other post. I guess there's not much that could be done to change your opinion on FFXV. I just think it would be nice to at least give it a fair chance when it finally releases and might actually be good to great game - it doesn't have to be the new gold standard masterpiece of RPGs. See it more like a very important and needed foundation for SE for modern AAA RPG development for the future.

Most games that get reviews from the media are 'good' in the sense that they're enjoyable by their target audience. There's plenty of 60s-70s that are totally fine as long as the person purchasing is informed about the game and its potential flaws and how they allign with his taste. This game is probably one of them.

When a game gets excellent review scores is because:

- it's a game that will be enjoyed by most players, regardless of their preferences.
- it's a game that is extremely good at what it does, even if its appeal is still limited to the niche that would play it anyway.

The 'everything under 80 is bad' is a terrible mentality, but at the same time, calling 60-70 games below average is actually true, and that doesn't make them bad games, if else, the term would be 'less good'

Nice post. Agree with pretty much everything you said.

Very polarizing reviews, I'll still pick it up, really want to try it out for myself.

Edit: Also, most of the critics are focusing on technical details like loading times or glitchy areas for what I can gather. I can live with that.

happy i cancelled my preorder.
still want the game but refuse to take chances with how expensive gaming is getting.
sure it may only be cheaper than most games but games that i would prefer to get are hovering near $100

Definitely still want to give the game a shot even with the scores. Glad I didn't plop down for that expensive special edition of the game though.

Very polarizing reviews, I'll still pick it up, really want to try it out for myself.

Edit: Also, most of the critics are focusing on technical details like loading times or glitchy areas for what I can gather. I can live with that.

No they're not. Read again. Game has design issues as well.

Besides getting extra attention because it's 'exclusive', I had no idea why people were looking forward to this game.
Metroid Prime devs, it's a platformer given an almost AAA budget, and it's a platformer exclusive to Xbox, which rarely gets these kind of games outside of indies.

Fury451

Banned
But i thought the impressions from this game were great from E3 and other events?

Evolve was received well from E3 too. The name of the game with impressions is context. Some games are great fun to play at first, but in broader context the design can show bigger weaknesses or fall apart altogether.

This is the oddest batch of reviews ive ever had to deal with.
Namely because most of the negatives listed are things I actually would enjoy.

The only remaining ones are the technical complaints but when I think of the janky shit ive put up with before I still dont think ill care.

Ill bite the bullet for this one gaf.

JCX

Part of it is the death of AA games (kinda like ReCore). You had tons more AA games in the PS2 era, so when the AAA juggernauts came out, they were guaranteed that top end of the spectrum. Now that the games that took up the 6-8 range have disappeared, AAA games have spread out along the scale and it takes a lot more to stand out and hit the high end.

I loved the B tier. Tended to try out new things more than the bigger games.

Maxim726X

RT doesn't automatically assume that 60 or 70s are fresh, you can still submit it as rotten.

I wasn't aware. How does that work?

You can give something 3 stars and still call it rotten?

I loved the B tier. Tended to try out new things more than the bigger games.

Klepek used to talk about this all the time on the Bombcast... How much the gaming industry was shaping up to emulate the film industry- You'll have a lot of safer, high-budget titles with little risk, and indie games. I think he's been right on the mark.

Novocaine

Kind of expected middling reviews. I got a $100 gift card as a birthday present so I'll probably end up spending half of it on this.

It looks fun, but my concern is whether it continues to be fun after a couple of hours.

Well, this is disappointing.

I was planning on getting this, but there's almost nothing I hate more in a game than padding.

Maybe when (if?) this game releases on Steam, someone will create a mod or cheat table that lets you skip the collectathon elements...? Meh, it's unlikely.

Sigh.

Arrrammis

Watching CohhCarnage stream this on Twitch, it looks pretty good. A bit bland in the base combat, but the platforming and puzzles look pretty cool. Story is very interesting, although it seems like they don't go out of their way to tell the player what is going on.

Has nothing to do with if I'd buy the game or not. That's just how I've always interpreted a 1 to 10 scale. The whole anything under a 8 is bad mentality I just don't agree with.
But average should be the average, right? Like sort of common? Companies won't be trying to make games that are half horrible, so the average game should be better than half horrible. So 5 shouldn't be average if that makes sense. Like I know this comparison is getting kind of old at this point, but the average score of an exam isn't automatically a 50% just because that's halfway between the maximum and minimum number of points.

CrazE

Banned
The game is out on PC as well already, day and date.

Man MS is poor at saying that it's on PC as well I suppose.

Yeah, they're real terrible at telling us all this is one of those play anywhere games that can be bought and played on both.

Not.

This is one of the games known about that is play anywhere.

But average should be the average, right? Like sort of common? Companies won't be trying to make games that are half horrible, so the average game should be better than half horrible. So 5 shouldn't be average if that makes sense.
If you include Greelight trash and weirdo indie games, a 5 is probably average. It's mainstream developers where a 5 isn't really "average."

Honestly at this point, I'd be very very wary/cautious of anything associated with Keiji Inafune after these mediocre attempts. Dude is toxic as of right now as far as I'm concerned.

Damn Hideki spitting that hot truth.

Dear fucking lord these article titles.

Yeah, they're really cringeworthy.

Inane is fun to shit on, but in fairness, I don't even know what he had to do with this game.

I think he was in a producer role and didn't have any direct involvement. I'm pretty sure 95% of this was all Armature.

Metroid Prime devs, it's a platformer given an almost AAA budget, and it's a platformer exclusive to Xbox, which rarely gets these kind of games outside of indies.

I've always thought it seemed a bit disingenuous in saying this was developed by the Metroid Prime devs. Wasn't it about three of the senior guys from Retro who formed Armature?

Septic360

Banned

Shieeeeeeee. That's cold

Purest 78

On today's market with so many options competing for people's time is just logical to take this stance, why would you use your limited free time with a sub 8 when there is just an insane amount of higher quality titles at your disposal?

Because reviews really don't matter to me. If I see a game getting 2's and 3's that would make me wary. For example I loved The Order It did not reveiw well.

If a game interest me I buy It reviews don't play a role. Same thing if a game gets perfect 10's. If I had no interest perfect scores wouldn't make me interested.

Maybe I just come from a different time. A lot of my game purchases were based off the picture on the back of the box lol. There was no Internet, Magazines had reviews. That you likely saw after the game was out.

It's important to read previews and looking at the footage of what they say they're playing to mentally align on whether or not you agree/disagree with the written preview. We can't always see the whole slate of what they play, but generally we'll get enough.

Eg. If you ask me what games's positive previews sound as great as their write-up compared to what is shown in gameplay footages shown at E3 this year, it's only Horizon and Sea of Thieves. Every other hands-on impression preview + footage feels like there is a bit of disconnect.

Top Bottom