• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT6| The Conversation is to Die for (Signups are now OPEN)

Darryl

Banned
PS: One more thing. We're not looking at setting up a dictatorship, and we're not going to try and make everyone sing kumbaya. This is Mafia. It's a game about killing one another. What we're looking at is making sure that this game about lying and murder doesn't seriously hurt anyone, if that makes sense. If you like to play aggressively, we're not going to make you stop, we're just going to make sure you don't cross the line into hurtful.

I think people need to keep in mind this helpful advice from the TeamLiquid mafia guide.

In addition, mafia is not for the faint-hearted or overly emotional. While not occurring every game, sometimes people can get into very heated arguments with one another. People can get very emotional playing Mafia, as it is a high-intensity endeavour. That being said, playing Mafia is an excellent way for developing thick skin, improving your patience, and making yourself a stronger person mentally. In addition, there's an unspoken rule that arguments are kept in the game. After the game is over and everyone cools down, there is rarely any bad blood. Some people may be harsher than others, but almost everyone is here to help each other learn and improve.

Relationships that are openly and positively abusive aren't actually abusive. A key to getting better at mafia, alongside most human interactions, is to understand intentions. Engaging in high-intensity, high-emotional gameplay is lots of fun once you can learn to not take it personally. The only thing other people playing this game know about you as a person is that you're also playing mafia. They have no ground to stand on when it comes to hurting your feelings outside of the ground you openly and willingly give them. People need to keep their heads straight and realize that games about lying and deceit are ultimately just games. It's easy to take that line and throw it away without really thinking about it, but it's important to reflect on it for a second and realize that people making arguments inside of threads aren't doing it to defame your reputation or to hurt your feelings. They are merely trying to win, through the only device used to win a game - words.

If people have hesitation towards making a gambit or a really high-level play because they're afraid of putting their friend in a spot where it'd make them look really dumb or hurt their feelings, that's okay but it tells me that you need to re-frame the way you're viewing the game. If Super Mario Bros is the missionary position of video games, we are the BDSM. I's getting hot & steamy in here & you need to open yourself up to having your feelings hurt temporarily. It's okay to have wounded pride, or to be embarrassed. It is all just a game and a game that can make you feel feels is a game worth playing imo.

This is ultimately a game about lying, and lying can hurt feelings especially when you're around people that you view as peers or friends. This isn't a game about making themes and having outrageous role reveals. This isn't a game about making one-liners on Discord. I like all of that stuff, too. But that's not why we're here. This is about lying and deceit. Not all of the lying is going to be of the political, emotionally removed variant. This isn't online chess with costumes. It's not as simple as "I saw Sawneeks visit Salva Pot last night". There's also dirty, gritty, real lying. The kind that comes from making someone think you're their friend, and taking advantage of that. The kind that comes from making it so a guy thinks you're his enemy, and can't stop thinking about you. And that is the kind that hurts, hurts to do, and it hurts to be done to. But it's thrilling because it's so real. That's the kind that you need to be prepared for, and ultimately the kind you need to learn how to get better at. Otherwise you're just posturing yourself for role reveals, and it can lead to a lot of games that are going through the motions. Those are games that I've seen play out too often and they're a chore.

RetroMG

Here's the thing. The mods are not going to step in and break up every fight. We're going to step in if things get out of hand, or if that line between reality and game gets too blurry.

Mafia can be the BDSM of gaming. We're just setting the Safe Word.

Swamped

Banned
This is ultimately a game about lying, and lying can hurt feelings especially when you're around people that you view as peers or friends. This isn't a game about making themes and having outrageous role reveals. This isn't a game about making one-liners on Discord. I like all of that stuff, too. But that's not why we're here. This is about lying and deceit. Not all of the lying is going to be of the political, emotionally removed variant. This isn't online chess with costumes.

Well said, friend!

nin1000

Banned
Godfuckingdamnit.

Dead thread, please?

GODDAMIT LOL

R.I.P
image.php

Burbeting

Banned
As a point of reminder, you can still sign up for the replacement list in Pokémon mafia! There is only one replacement in the list right now, so the chances of you getting to the game will be fairly good!

*Splinter

I've just put together a quick game for whenever it's needed. Will run it next time we have players waiting for a game. ~15 players, short phases, nothing too crazy.

RetroMG

REMINDER:

If you are planning to run a game for the Season 7 Main, you must submit your setup to me before Pokemon Mafia ends. If your setup is on your Outer Gafia board or Discord chat, you must message me privately to let me know when it is ready for review.

RetroMG

So, WifeMG started having contractions tonight. We thought it was Go Time, but it turned out to be a false alarm. The good news is that it got me working on the plans for while I'm gone.

Burbeting and Sorian have been promoted to Vice Admins of Outer Gafia, along with the currently existing Vice Admins. When it IS time for BabyMG to come, Ynnny, Burbeting, and Sorian will be in charge while I'm gone. The season 6 gamerunners will begin the process of vetting Season 7 games as soon as Pokemon ends.

I'll announce when it's time for me to take off for a while, probably in Discord. I should only be gone for a short while. (I'm going to have to come back to do homework at some point, and I always check on Gafia when I do homework.) But I'm putting all this in place so that there's a plan if I'm gone longer.

Top Bottom