• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT6| The Conversation is to Die for (Signups are now OPEN)

RetroMG

Wait, then why doesn't it show up in the emoji picker? Also, it makes it even more bizzare it doesn't show up on mobile.

I don't know, but when I did put up the little cartoon owl, it renamed it to owl-2. That's when I discovered we already had an owl. I deleted owl-2, because the two cartoon owls were very similar.

RetroMG

Congratulations to the Pokemon players on a great game. Boards will be opened soon.

Overwatch will be beginning signups as soon as Sorian shows up to do it. Overwatch signups will last for a period of 24 hours and will be assigned based on priority. Splinter is also looking at running a game of unknown theme alongside Overwatch. More details on that as they come in.
During the first half of Overwatch, the Season 6 mods will be working on vetting Season 7 games. If you were planning to run a game for Season 7 and have not submitted a spreadsheet to me, time is up. Get it to me ASAP.
(If you haven't mentioned the game to me at all, well, sorry. S7.5 or S8 will be your next opportunity.)

Signups will begin during the second half of Overwatch, so look for Season 7 signups in the next two to three weeks.

EDIT: Something else to make clear - The vetting process isn't a hard yes/no answer based on what you submit. Changes will still be made during the vetting process, so if the game isn't 100% ready, it can still be submitted. It should be at least 90% ready, and we'll get the other 10% during vetting.

Sorian

Banned
Alright! It's time everyone! Sign-ups are now open for Overwatch Mafia!

About the Game:

-As there are 22 heroes in overwatch, this will be a 22 player game.

-This game is role madness. There will be no vanilla town members or vanilla goons.

-That said, this game is NOT a bastard game. There will never a time that the moderator will lie to a player.

-Full disclosure, this game is raw Sorian. The extent of the vetting process for this game was Retro looking at my spreadsheet, asking if I thought a few things would be ok, me explaining my reasoning, and him shrugging his shoulders and saying "go for it." That said, I worked through a lot of balance and I feel like I hit a good place with this many PRs so I present this as a fully functional and well made game but I figured this disclaimer would serve to let everyone signing up know what they could potentially could be getting into.

-This game is going to run at a slightly faster pace. All day phases will be 48 hours and all night phases will be 24 hours. That will be the standard throughout, I will not shorten that as we get closer to end game.

About sign-ups:

-Sign-ups will be open for 24 hours starting from this post. Please feel free to continue signing up even if the list is full as substitutes are always required.

-The way I will be dictating who gets to play will be based on total playtime during S6.5 thus far. If you've played more, you will have less priority in the final roster.

Aaaaaaaand with that, go!

1) Haly
2) Xamtheking
3) Burbeting
4) Mazre
5) franconp
6) AbsolutBro
7) cabot
8) Ouro
9) Bronx-Man
10) Sophia
11) WhereAreMahDragonz
12) Ty4on
13) TheGoddamn
14) *Splinter
15) Kyanrute
16) nin1000
17) StanleyPalmtree
18) Verelios
19)
20)
21)
22)

Subs
1) kingkitty
2) Blargonaut
3) melonrabbit

red_1475956800.png

*Splinter

Note: I'm only running mine if there are way too many sign ups for Overwatch

It's also not crazy this time, just a small themed game a cooked up

Promise

Verelios

I feel like I'm craving Persona more than usual. On that note, Persona when!?

Edit: In the meantime, sign me up for Overwatch. D.VA or bust

Sawneeks

Banned
Going to be sitting out on this one but I would like Spec thread access when that is available please. c:

-Full disclosure, this game is raw Sorian. The extent of the vetting process for this game was Retro looking at my spreadsheet, asking if I thought a few things would be ok, me explaining my reasoning, and him shrugging his shoulders and saying "go for it." That said, I worked through a lot of balance and I feel like I hit a good place with this many PRs so I present this as a fully functional and well made game but I figured this disclaimer would serve to let everyone signing up know what they could potentially could be getting into.
B A L A N C E

Sorian

Banned
Going to be sitting out on this one but I would like Spec thread access when that is available please. c:

B A L A N C E

Better balanced than Serial Killer Cop or your money back!

Disclaimer: Serial Killer Cop was already perfect balance.

I'm just going to give you spec access now so I don't forget, there isn't actually a thread made yet though :p

RetroMG

This probably won't be news to anyone, but I'm going to put it out for informational purposes.

I WANT TO RUN A GAFIA GAME. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Why, I'm so glad you asked, little Timmy! Let's go through how an idea becomes a Gafia game!

Step 1: Have an idea
You should start with an idea! Did you watch a movie or a TV show recently? Great! That's how Star Wars and Archer got going! Did you play a video game or listen to a podcast? Super! That gave us Bloodborne and Night Vale! Did you have a random thought during a fever dream? Awesome! That's how Volcano Island started.
Now that you've had an idea, let's...

Step 2: (Optional) Find a place to work on it!
You might want to make a place where you can work on your idea, and invite people to discuss it! This could be a board on Outer Gafia, or a chatroom in the Gafia Discord. Either way, you should contact RetroMG if you want one.

Step 3: Design your game
I'm not going to explain how to design your game, but Ouro's had some great thoughts on game design. What I will tell you is this...

Step 4: Put it in a spreadsheet
Spreadsheets are for smart people and only for smart people. If you want to run a game, you need to put it in a spreadsheet, or no one will take you seriously. No, I'm not kidding now. Put your game in a spreadsheet. No one wants to read a long word document of all your role PMs.

Step 5: (Optional) Show it to people
Feedback is hugely important in game design. Show the game to people, and get their advice.

Step 6: Submit the game
Send a link to the spreadsheet to RetroMG, or any of the Gafia mods. Please be aware of deadlines for submitting games for the season. Submitting a game and expecting it to run immediately after is largely unrealistic. Contact Retro with any questions.

Step 7a: Vetting the game (Main Season Only)
In order for a game to run during a Gafia main season, it must be approved, or "vetted" by the previous season Gafia Mods. The Mods will look at the game and decide if it is balanced. They may ask you questions. They probably will make suggestions. Ultimately, these mods have to make sure that your game is ready for prime time. This isn't a hard and fast decision, it's a process of working with the designer for the best possible outcome. The mods typically won't outright deny a game unless it's completely broken, or unless the designer is unwilling to make any changes that would improve the setup.
Two Gafia Mods must agree that a game is ready to run in order for it to go to the Main Season.

NOTE: Mid-season
Mid-season games do not require approval. Many designers will still request that the game be reviewed, but they are not required to do anything with the feedback. However, games must still be submitted to a mod so that they can be scheduled.

Past this point, everything refers to Main Season Games only.

Step 8: Getting ready for the Season
At this point, you'll need to start getting ready for the season. Banners should be made for the GAF threads and Outer Gafia. You should get started writing flavor and role PMs, because it's time for...

Step 9: Voting!
The new thread is up, and the excitement is abuzz. Your game, (and the other games that have been submitted and approved) will be presented to the players. Players will sign up for the season, and they will vote for which games they want to be part of! If your game gets enough votes, you're off to the races!

NOTE: If your game isn't picked
It's sad, but sometimes we can't run all the games we want to. If your game isn't picked, you can talk to the mods about running it in the mid-season, or save it for the next Main season. It's your choice.

Step 10: Run your game!
This is just a side note, but if you design a game, you should either be prepared to actually run it, or you should have arranged for someone else to run it. Running a game that you don't fully understand is difficult, and highly discouraged.

Sorian

Banned
Have everyone who has signed up so far on the list. List is in priority order and will continue to update in priority order as I add people.

Edit: Post 1956 has the list btw.

franconp

Sign me for the Overwatch Game.

I've been pretty busy lately so I couldn't log in more but the next months seems that they will be more calm and I have wanted to play a new game for a while.

RetroMG

Sign me for the Overwatch Game.

I've been pretty busy lately so I couldn't log in more but the next months seems that they will be more calm and I have wanted to play a new game for a while.

Castamere AND Franconp? It's like a Gafia reunion in here.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If your objective time isn't 90% of the match time I'm kicking you from the party fyi.

Kyanrute

Overwash, that a toilet cleaning fluid or something? Madness? I love madness games, they are the best. Could you please put me on the scum team Sorian?

Top Bottom