• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Need For Speed Hot Pursuit revealed [EA-CONF]

Odrion

Banned
mescalineeyes said:
exactly.

The other side of the booth says "chase" I believe. If you're standing on the race side, you're racing, if you're standing on the chase side you drive a cop car. boom. mystery solved.
And then we find out that those are the titles of the games and EA is pokemon-izing the game.

szaromir

Banned
GitarooMan said:
Doubtful I would say, a lot of arcade racers don't have them (or need them IMO)
If Criterion is serious about NFS appealing to fans of older NFS games, they'd better include cockpit view!

eso76

game should be more about cruising through beautiful scenery on long A-B tracks than racing, just like NFS 1 (still by far the best in the series)

Unfortunately, "hot pursuit" gives me a different idea. Oh well, could still be a good game.

RavenFox

Banned
eso76 said:
game should be more about cruising through beautiful scenery on long A-B tracks than racing, just like NFS 1 (still by far the best in the series)

Unfortunately, "hot pursuit" gives me a different idea. Oh well, could still be a good game.
I wish for those days again.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Dedication Through Light said:
I was under the impression that the NFS: Hot Pursuit was not the NFS that Criterion is working on.
It sounds like Criterion is saying that Hot Pursuit is not the NFS game they're working on, but I'm just hoping that they're covering their asses, lest I have a heart attack.

1zg4a3k.jpg

Cerberus

twinturbo2 said:
It sounds like Criterion is saying that Hot Pursuit is not the NFS game they're working on, but I'm just hoping that they're covering their asses, lest I have a heart attack.

If Black Box is doing this Hot Pursuit, then all my hype for this is gone. I know they made HP2, but their track record with the rest of the NFS games isn't too hot. The only other one I liked was Most Wanted. Hoping they can get me excited for this one, if it is their game.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Cerberus said:
If Black Box is doing this Hot Pursuit, then all my hype for this is gone. I know they made HP2, but their track record with the rest of the NFS games isn't too hot. The only other one I liked was Most Wanted. Hoping they can get me excited for this one, if it is their game.
And Criterions track record is any better? I'm being completely serious. Their games have been declining since arguably Burnout 2 or 3. I'm nervous the game will be a let down either way, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

MadOdorMachine said:
And Criterions track record is any better? I'm being completely serious. Their games have been declining since arguably Burnout 2 or 3. I'm nervous the game will be a let down either way, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'd say that they're. Paradise is very highly praised despite what some longtime fans feel about it. And from a technical standpoint they're way ahead of Black Box. A good example of that is that Black Box's open world racers still run at an unstable 30fps, meanwhile Criterion created a stable 60fps open world racer on their first try this gen.

Thabass

NinjaFusion said:
SSX or Bust...

PS... Need for Speed Shift was surprisingly great... do we need another so soon?

Couldn't have said it any better myself. We need a new SSX and we need it badly.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
SolidSnakex said:
I'd say that they're. Paradise is very highly praised despite what some longtime fans feel about it. And from a technical standpoint they're way ahead of Black Box. A good example of that is that Black Box's open world racers still run at an unstable 30fps, meanwhile Criterion created a stable 60fps open world racer on their first try this gen.
I agree with you on the technical side, Criterion has that hands down. What I'm concerned about is track design and gameplay mechanics. Steering in the Burnout games is much different than NFS. Their level designs are also full of places to make you crash. A pole sticking out here or a concrete wall there, right in the middle of the damn track. You crash all the time. If they can fix that, then I could probably deal with the steering issue, but NFS isn't about crashing at all. Man I hope they don't screw this up.

I really want to be excited about this. I fucking loved the Hot Pursuit games (plus High Stakes), although Porsche Unleashed is still my favorite. But I'm not a fan of open-world racing games. Just give me awesome cars, a decent balance between simulation and arcade handling, well-made tracks in a variety of locations (both A-B type and circuit), good multiplayer, and I'm sold.

MadOdorMachine said:
Their level designs are also full of places to make you crash. A pole sticking out here or a concrete wall there, right in the middle of the damn track. You crash all the time.
You're doing it wrong. :lol High level races in Burnout Paradise usually are competitive enough that it's obvious people screwed up for their own damn fault.

glaurung

Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 is still my favorite NFS of all times - I have easily spent more time on that game than all other NFS games put together.

Hyped for this new one.

Odrion said:
And then we find out that those are the titles of the games and EA is pokemon-izing the game.
eh, could be subtitles for different countries (ala porsche 2000/porsche unleashed and high stakes/road challenge) but i'm guessing yeah, it's just two different queues.

60 fps + cops + criterion = best nfs game since... probably Hot Pursuit 2 i'd bet... maybe even High Stakes (since High Stakes had all the Hot Pursuit tracks in it as well as as many new ones).

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AlphaTwo00 said:
You're doing it wrong. :lol High level races in Burnout Paradise usually are competitive enough that it's obvious people screwed up for their own damn fault.
As many guard rails as they have around corners, I don' think so. Crashing is a major part of the gameplay and I'll admit parts of it are really fun, like knocking an opponent into a wall, but guess what, those walls are there for that. It doesn't need to be in a NFS game.

MadOdorMachine said:
As many guard rails as they have around corners, I don' think so. Crashing is a major part of the gameplay and I'll admit parts of it are really fun, like knocking an opponent into a wall, but guess what, those walls are there for that. It doesn't need to be in a NFS game.
Scrolling back into their library (Burnout 2, specifically), I have faith in Criterion that they know what track design is.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AlphaTwo00 said:
Scrolling back into their library (Burnout 2, specifically), I have faith in Criterion that they know what track design is.
I agree. BO2 was great, but that was many moons ago. When is the EA conference? Isn't this supposed to be unveiled today?

Cerberus

MadOdorMachine said:
I agree. BO2 was great, but that was many moons ago. When is the EA conference? Isn't this supposed to be unveiled today?

In 5 hours. That's when the countdown on Criterion's site ends too.

NinjaBoiX

NinjaFusion said:
SSX or Bust...

PS... Need for Speed Shift was surprisingly great... do we need another so soon?
No, no it wasn't. Nice cockpit view, graphics and sense of speed, but everything else was woeful. Distorted SFX, long load times, too few tracks and cars, and worst of all, absolutely awful handling. Criterion can only be a good thing for this series, it needs help.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
-NinjaBoiX- said:
No, no it wasn't. Nice cockpit view, graphics and sense of speed, but everything else was woeful. Distorted SFX, long load times, too few tracks and cars, and worst of all, absolutely awful handling. Criterion can only be a good thing for this series, it needs help.

i thought it played VERY well with a wheel. a nice mix of realism with simple arcade mechanics. felt like a better PGR to me. i loved it, *shrugs.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
15 more minutes till the EA show starts right? After seeing Crysis 2 I can't wait to see this. I'm so hyped. I really hope this is the NFS we've all been waiting for.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I just want a real NFS title. Don't attach the NFS name to anything if it isn't truly NFS.

If I can't wreck into a bright orange jeep with a white top at high speeds, it's not a true NFS game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks EXACTLY like burnout, and no, IMO, that is not a good thing. bleh

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I'm still cautiously optimistic. They weren't driving very fast, and all they showed was one online match, but damn did it look good! This looks like the game I've been waiting for since HP2. This is going to be an amazing E3!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Tokubetsu said:
Thank god for menus. Fuck open world racers.
Yeah and knowing Criterion the campaign should have a decent length as well as solid online play. There's still a lot to find out. I wish they would have given some details, but this is the best NFS has looked in years imo.

glaurung said:
Hot Pursuit 2 on the PS2 is still my favorite NFS of all times - I have easily spent more time on that game than all other NFS games put together.

Hyped for this new one.
exactly how it was for me, I stopped playing NFS games after that and I can not wait for this, it looks so good and the online will make me get even more hours out of it. hyped!

Goldrusher

site:

http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/

trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJQRSB6IqE

PR:

EA Turns up the Heat with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit

Cops and Racers + Hot Cars + Your Friends = Endless Competition
E3 Expo 2010

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Criterion reinvents Need for Speed™ Hot Pursuit for the connected generation. Criterion Games, a studio of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that the award-winning development team is making the latest installment in the renowned Need for Speed franchise. Inspired by the classic game of the same name, Criterion will reveal Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for the very first time today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles. Launching in November 2010, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit brings the franchise back to its roots with intense cops vs. racer chases. Criterion also ups the ante with the introduction of an all-new online network called Need for Speed Autolog where players compare racing stats and automatically get personalized gameplay recommendations from their friends – a feature that is poised to transform online racing for the connected generation.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit players will experience the thrill of the chase and the rush of the escape as they play through full careers as both a cop and a racer – solo or connected. The high speed busts and heart-stopping getaways are all connected via Need for Speed Autolog. This network not only connects friends for epic head-to-head pursuits and races, but also enables players to compare performances and stats, thereby setting the stage for the ultimate in social competition.

Craig Sullivan, Creative Director of the game said, “At Criterion, we’ve been playing Need for Speed since it was first introduced on 3DO. We are honored and excited by the opportunity to reinvent the franchise for today’s connected audience. Our goal has been to create cops vs. racers pursuits that are so fun, fast and exciting it really brings to life the adrenaline and intensity of the high speed cop pursuit experience with your friends.”

Developed by Criterion Games, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will be available on November 16, 2010 in North America and on November 18 and 19, 2010 in Europe on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will also be available on the Wii™ and is being developed by Exient.

For more information on Need for Speed, please visit http://www.needforspeed.com. Or become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/needforspeed and follow us on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/needforspeed.

GI_img_01.jpg

GI_img_02.jpg

GI_img_03.jpg

Tokubetsu

MadOdorMachine said:
Yeah and knowing Criterion the campaign should have a decent length as well as solid online play. There's still a lot to find out. I wish they would have given some details, but this is the best NFS has looked in years imo.

Yea, I'm still being cautious. Hopefully we get some great hands-on impressions.

Why is this "NFSHP" and not NFSHP3... this "dropping numbers from things that need them" is really stupid, but more importantly, the game itself looks fantastic.

As they said, Need for Speed is back. I'm actually excited for a Need for Speed game for the first time since NFSHP2, and that was a while ago... very awesome. The game looks great. You can play as both the police and the speeders, the music was epic chase stuff and not rap, it was daytime and not night, lots of touches from NFSHP and HS were there like the spike mats, roadblocks, and police chatter, and more... good stuff. Oh, the menus remind me of the NFSHS menus, too. I wonder if that's intentional? This really looks fantastic, NFS is back to what it should be, and away from the many years of not very good Underground-style stuff that it's been through for years now. The track looked like classic NFS stuff too. This looks like it could be a great game. :)

Top Bottom