• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tired of killing? Let's recommend and play indie!!

tumblr_o3od6t9DYw1u4rawro2_500.gif

I'm not gonna play a game that involves smacking a giant anime woman's enormous jiggling breasts

Davey Cakes

VVVVV is a good recommendation. It's a platformer with gravity changing instead of jumping. You don't kill anything, but stage hazards kill you. It's tough but super forgiving with checkpoints, and is low commitment at 3-4 hours.

Also, Undertale is an exceptional narrative-driven RPG where you can elect to spare every enemy with mercy instead of fight and kill. In fact, that adds an entire layer of strategy to the battle system. Also low commitment at around 5-15 hours depending on how much you choose to interact with everything.

I'm not gonna play a game that involves smacking a giant anime woman's enormous jiggling breasts

I tought of not including that specific gif as is not representative of the overall game.
That could be the only single instance of fanservice on the game.

You may not believe it, but the atmosphere oozes more of a Dark Souls than Anime titties.

I bought but haven't played yet Overcooked which is a local co op arcade cooking game. You all run around totally ridiculous "kitchens" (which can be a couple runaway trucks or a mountain, etc) trying to complete orders. Killing is definitely not the focus, but I haven't looked into a versus mode to see if there is a battle mode or not.

I am always interested in games that don't use killing as the main gameplay element.

You're missing out on a fantastic little game then.

Also, every time this topic comes up I have to push Super Motherload:
1-620x.jpg

SML_PS4_2013_00_medium.jpg

Really relaxing and pretty casual kind of game. Great soundtrack and feels fun to play.

life-is-strange-gameplay-screenshot-max-bedroom-ps4-xbox-one-pc-646x325.jpg

Just finally got playing Life is Strange, after sort of stalling after being unsure about the first episode.

The "gameplay" might not be for those who don't enjoy Heavy Rain / Gone Home sort of exploratory experiences, but the writing is exemplary and the game touches on a number of experiences I haven't seen dealt with in games much.

Definitely worth checking out.

KRaZyAmmo

Just finally got playing Life is Strange, after sort of stalling after being unsure about the first episode.

The "gameplay" might not be for those who don't enjoy Heavy Rain / Gone Home sort of exploratory experiences, but the writing is exemplary and the game touches on a number of experiences I haven't seen dealt with in games much.

Man i haven't touched and finished this. What's wrong with me?

Gbraga

Y'all need to play Clustertruck. Shit's fucking SICK. Think about the pacing of a Mirror's Edge speedrun, with all the kick glitching and staying at high speed and off the ground for large periods of time, and now mix that with controls that kind of remind me of the surf maps in Counter Strike, even the way you get speed boosts or height depending on where and how you're moving through on those platforms, and you have Clustertruck.

The ghost system also makes competing among friends insanely addictive. I still can't get past world 3 because a friend of mine keeps beating my world 1 times and I go back to challenge him again.

It really gives you a sense of speed that is greater than any racing game I remember playing. Caught myself in ridiculous positions in front of my monitor because I can't help but move myself, as if I'm trying to physically dodge the obstacles.

Playing something like this in VR would probably remove 5 years from someone's life.

TheMoon

life-is-strange-gameplay-screenshot-max-bedroom-ps4-xbox-one-pc-646x325.jpg

It's much more gameplay-y than the comparative examples you mentioned. The rewind mechanic and occasional puzzle is a lot more interactive than just walking around looking at stuff or doing Next Gen QTEs so I would recommend it even to those who didn't like your examples.

Man i haven't touched and finished this. What's wrong with me?

A lot more will be wrong with you after you finish it. Emotionally. It's a ride.

Humdinger

I forgot to mention Life is Strange. Great indie.

Humdinger

Has anyone played Virginia?

Yes. It makes more sense the second time. I'd give it a 7.7.

p.s. To clarify, I liked the innovative attempt at storytelling. That was worth the $10 right there (game is only $10, btw), for me. I enjoyed the ride. I didn't like how much symbolism they threw at you. Everything was symbolic. Sheesh. English major overload.

Oneself

My recent favorites (all available on PS4 & most on steam if not all)..

Walking sims, as they say, with good stories:
Firewatch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Virginia.

Metroidvanias: Red Goddess, Chronicles of Teddy, Axiom Verge.

Digging: Steamworld Dig

All kinds of platformers:
Toki Tori 2 Plus, Shadowblade Reloaded, Lumo, Kick&Fennick, Clustertruck, Shu, Slain Back from Hell, Rive, Adventures of Pip, Ninja Senki DX, Trine 3.

Shooters: Assault Android Cactus, Sky Force Anniversary, Not a Hero, Jamestown.

Rogue May Cry: Heart & Slash

Zelda snes: Oceanhorn, Hyper Light Drifter, Stories

Journey: Abzu

Stencil

Lol that OP doth protest a bit much, if you ask me.

Anyway, I just played through ABZU and loved it more than Journey. I played through Journey again, too. ABZU is just soooo relaxing and beautiful. No killing either.

Now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of indies I like involve killing... Spelunky, Gungeon, Risk of Rain... I don't see why it's so bad.

I've been greatly enjoying Lichtspeer. (it aint killing if you're putting a speer through a zombie techno vampire viking turtle's head, right?)

stylish graphics, corny jokes, great soundtrack, solid gameplay loop, glorious germanic names, lsd-based upgrade system. Pretty good.

Oneself

I've been greatly enjoying Lichtspeer. (it aint killing if you're putting a speer through a zombie techno vampire viking turtle's head, right?)

stylish graphics, corny jokes, great soundtrack, solid gameplay loop, glorious germanic names, lsd-based upgrade system. Pretty good.
Cool, I'll take a look.

Mr. Freeman

Neo Member
One of my most anticipated games is Planet Coaster. Developed by Frontier, devs of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, and it's basically a "proper" iteration of RCT3 will all the modern trimmings. Game is looking amazing visually and it releases next month.

That looks absolutely amazing.

Clustertruck - Truck surfing meets frenetic first-person platforming
Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor - Work your menial job within this wild vibrant alien place filled with secrets
Four Sided Fantasy - Forget portals, think with screen wrap in this cleverly designed platformer
Veer - Spatial challenges await in this teleporting puzzler
Quadrilateral Cowboy - Code and makeshift tools are your arsenal in this old-school cyberpunk heist-planning game
Flywrench - A slick hards-as-nails precision flapper from the creator of Nidhoog
Expand - Watch the world unfold and reveal itself in this stylish arcade-exploration puzzler
On Rusty Trails - A stylish color/reality-switching platformer
Oxenfree - Natural dialogue, an atmospheric island, eerie tone, and smart use of New Game Plus makes this one of the most innovative of the recent adventure games
Soft Body - Snakes twist and twirl through this world of artistic bullet hell evasion
Mini Metro - The metro map comes alive in this simple-yet-complex puzzler
Mushroom 11 - One of the most innovative puzzle platformers in a while, as you guide an amorphous fungus through an apocalyptic land
Stephen's Sausage Roll - A masterwork of puzzle design, hard but constantly satisfying
Jalopy - Go on a roadtrip through 1980s Europe in this unique vehicle sim
Rymdresa - Explore the wonders of the sprawling void
Samorost 3 - A gorgeous point-n-click labor of love from the developer of Machinarium
Duskers - Tactical sci-fi horror as you remotely scavenge derelict space ships through drones and command lines
Glitchspace - Visual programming is your tool in this first-person puzzler
Absolute Drift - A minimalist arcade driving game all about mastering the art of drifting
Else Heart.Break() - A freeform hacking adventure game where everything from the doors you enter to the coffee you drink can be hacked and modified

And for the more violence-inclined...
Devil Daggers - Old-school shooter action in an overwhelming unsettling cacophonic hellscape
SuperHOT - Time only moves when you move, so pull off impossibly stylish kills in this great FPS-puzzler
Particle Fleet: Emergence - An RTS against a replicating flood of nano-particles, from the creator of Creeper World
Infested Planet - Squad scale RTS against hundreds of aliens that can adapt to your tactics
House of the Dying Sun - Tense immersive hybrid space dogfighting and fleet tactics
Cryptark - A hectic tightly-crafted dual stick shooter with a huge amount of weapons and gear to customize your loadout

Top Bottom