• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk intelligently: Is the Wii done as far as third parties go?

2Dcube

[Nintex] said:
This holiday Nintendo has made a strategy that is best described as a love letter to the fans.
That's only part of the strategy, the other part is to have new gamers (introduced through things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit) move on to core titles.

It's so weird to me. After E3, I kept reading "oh look Nintendo was just like Hey let's make games our fans want. That's their new strategy". Sounds like a very clever strategy, why didn't they come up with it before?! Don't you think there is more behind it? Think about why they're doing this now, and not a few years ago.

ElFly

Amir0x said:
Are you referring to the fact that Volition is making Saint's Row for the 3DS, while other developers are seemingly "resting on their laurels" with their announced support?

We already debunked this talking point about developers putting half-hearted effort to the 3DS support in another topic that was locked a few weeks ago.

Pretty much all currently announced developers, western and japanese, have announced their absolute biggest franchises for the 3DS. They pretty much can't possibly announce any more big franchises then they already have.

There is no bigger way to show support for a platform then the way they have for 3DS.
EA porting the sims and ubisoft porting splinter cell is expected, and not on the same level of effort than mgs33D

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Amirox said:
Are you referring to the fact that Volition is making Saint's Row for the 3DS, while other developers are seemingly "resting on their laurels" with their announced support?

We already debunked this talking point about developers putting half-hearted effort to the 3DS support in another topic that was locked a few weeks ago.

Pretty much all currently announced developers, western and japanese, have announced their absolute biggest franchises for the 3DS. They pretty much can't possibly announce any more big franchises then they already have.

There is no bigger way to show support for a platform then the way they have for 3DS.
Not really.

Eteric Rice

Chris1964 said:
Not really.

No idea what he's talking about in terms of Western support.

Call me when Bioware, Bethesda, etc announce support with their major franchises (Dragon Age, Fallout, Oblivion, etc.

Unless he means EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, which we all know will dump 10,000 pounds of shovelware on to the system.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
AniHawk said:
A side note:
Wario Land did roughly in the realm of 350k-400k by my guess, probably thanks to NSMBW. The month NSMBW sold 2m or whatever it was, Wario basically doubled its LTD. That would mean it performed twice as good as Wario World, and probably did well enough to fund Kirby.
I don't think how well it did depended on Kirby. Heck, I wouldn't be to shocked to find out they passed Kirby to Good Feel about a year or two ago when HAL canned their project so inverters wouldn't give them heat that they spent 6 years making a game that got canceled.

[Nintex]

2Dcube said:
That's only part of the strategy, the other part is to have new gamers (introduced through things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit) move on to core titles.

It's so weird to me. After E3, I kept reading "oh look Nintendo was just like Hey let's make games our fans want. That's their new strategy". Sounds like a very clever strategy, why didn't they come up with it before?! Don't you think there is more behind it? Think about why they're doing this now, and not a few years ago.
They never had to, now that the sales are dropping they needed something to keep Wii sales from declining further. They need a large audience who doesn't own a Wii yet and the largest group right now is the hardcore PS3/Xbox 360 gamers. There's a chance that the Halo players started with GoldenEye college parties and might check out GoldenEye Wii. They might get some old Rare fans to buy Donkey Kong Country... by Nintendo standards it's quite a desperate strategy actually. I bet they're also monitoring the sales of Donkey Kong and Kirby closely to see if many NSMBWii owners will buy other platform games.

ElFly said:
EA porting the sims and ubisoft porting splinter cell is expected, and not on the same level of effort than mgs33D
Er, why? Chaos Theory is better than MGS3, especially in multiplayer.

The Sims is more popular than both.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As far as Majority third parties go mostly yes it is done or getting there (Read 3DS)

you still have some support
Activision for publishing for Golden Eye and CoD BO
High voltage for Conduit 2
off the top of my head
Team Ninja as well for helping on Other M

funny thing saw an advert for just dance on broadway the other night... so guess it still getting some third party love ;)

Apart from big named Ports i doubt the majority of future Wii thirtd party games will be Wii exclusive/original IP's anymore

ElFly

charlequin said:
Errr, that's why a key part of that strategy is to partner up with key third-parties early on and incentivize them to develop games in those genres early on.

While I see what you are saying, collaboration has given nintendo mixed results, or plainly bad results.

A good example would be nintendo letting EA bundle TW witn the motion plus. But it could be argued that EA was forced to do an honest effort with golf games on the wii, after the success of wii sports.

The worst example is Namco. Soul calibur 3 not being on the GC, SC4 not being in the wii, after the success of sc2 are ridiculous moves. Same with the lack of Tales games on nintendo consoles after symphonia.

Subsidizing only works with the first game. After that, exclusivity or support simply vanishes for nintendo. Being the market leader is a much better strategy. "We can't compete with nintendo" is only code for "nintendo doesn't make the same games as we do, so we don't need to worry about supporting them".

Momo

Banned
Safe Bet said:
/facepalm
Man, I work for a living :lol

I gotta pay rent, car payments, electricity-, water bills, birthday gifts etc. It took me about 2 years to buy all that stuff :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Leondexter said:
Not true at all. I'm not advocating rushed product; I'm only advocating treating one console the same way as another in regards to game releases. You're the one trying to twist that into something outlandish, and it's childish.

You're not advocating it, but you keep suggesting it. By what magic should Red Steel 2 have come out even quicker and sucked even harder?

Leondexter said:
All this is obvious to you, to me, and should be to Capcom. So why are you debating with me about it? They let demand sit unfulfilled, that's my simple point. Well, actually, they tried to meet that demand with the lowest quality game they thought they could get away with. They had several options to make money on the Wii, and chose the cheapest, laziest ones. And they drove away the customers.

Except they also made Zack & Wiki, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All Stars, Monster Hunter Tri. They made Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles and RE4. You're sitting here whining about the fact that the system isn't getting any more RE4-style games, which is apparently your singular, only real complaint. Again, this is your idea of how magically there would be a foundation! Your idea of good Capcom support and foundation building was a port of RE4. Think about that for a second.

If they made an true Resident Evil mainline game for Wii, it would sell gangbusters (just like RE5 did). And would that now mean that there's a foundation? Again, no it wouldn't - platform-proof games don't show anything one way or the other!

Leondexter said:
Apparently the difference between you and me is that I liked quite a few early Wii games and wanted more, whereas you've decided that they were all shit and that everyone else thought so, too. Either way, the market to buy those games did exist, because they sold. Whether consumers were driven away because there weren't enough good games including the ones they bought or other than the ones they bought is irrelevant, and you're wrong.

Early adopters drive software sales for ALL platforms early on. Even PSP had people buying software in the West in the first year before ultimately teetering out into the wasteland it is now.

Again, a true foundation is not built based on launch-year software, which is almost uniformly buggy and shitty across all platforms (as it was on Wii). People stick around because they know the future might offer something different.

Nintendo however had the Wii pegged from the gate as a system that catered toward a specific set of games, and all their marketing, game development focus and developer support suggested this precise same thing. Any consumer would have made the same logical conclusion.

There was never a foundation because Nintendo never built it, nor wanted it.

Leondexter said:
Oh, get over yourself. You don't decide what's good for anyone but you. People enjoy different things. I liked CoD because the pointer controls worked well, simple as that. I'll happily admit the game outside of that was a poor reflection of its HD counterpart, but I was bored with WWII shooters and gave the fresh controls a shot. Those controls made it unique and worked well enough to whet my appetite for hopefully better games in the genre. That's entirely reasonable. Quite more so that your sadist theory.

You'll forgive me for calling bullshit. The idea that pointer controls - which are a shoddy, mid-level improvement at best over traditional controllers which are functionally worse than keyboard+mouse controls - magically LIT UP this entire genre for you (despite the games being corroded, horrible ports) which you were bored at is typical abused spouse behavior.

If all it took was "better controls" to make you interested in FPS again, then you should have been always interested in it - on the PC. But you're suggesting that you were bored across the board, and that this stop-gap pointing solution which isn't even close to as good KB+M and only incrementally superior than the typical controller magically changed your whole mind about the genre.

So magically that you were willing to take the fact that the developer was clearly gimping the shit out of the title because of the Wii's horrendously limited functionality.

That is someone who likes abuse, period. Anyone whose issue was controls in FPS would have moved to PC gaming, and anyone who hated the way traditional controllers functioned would not turn to shitty ports with poor gameplay propped up by the barest attempt at Wiimote immersion.

Leondexter said:
Yikes. I thought this was a discussion amongst reasonable, intelligent individuals. "It's a fact that what you like sucks" is a bit out of that realm, isn't it? Let's try and stay in keeping with the thread title.

It's a fact that you like to be abused. Slightly different. It's not something you should take personally, and it certainly isn't beyond intelligent discourse. It makes sense to me to acknowledge a fundamental problem with your approach to Wii games, since it is obviously coloring your entire perspective.

You should not allow yourself to be abused. It's bad for you, and I care Leondexter. I care deeply about people who allow themselves to be abused. Friends don't let friends be abused.

Leondexter said:
I can agree with that, sure. And I completely respect companies that decided not to work on the Wii. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the ones that did so, but with incredibly low standards (which is quite a few of them) that bother me. Developers left and right made what amounts to shovelware for the Wii. How is that better than "lowering their standards" to work outside their chosen genre? That's another very twisted view. I guess if you're going to "stop making what you're good at", you should go all the way down, is that it? That's a load of BS.

No. They simply should develop the good shit for platforms that do want their stuff. That's PS360PC. There was never any market for hardcore games on Wii, never a foundation, and so they have not desired to put in more added effort. Their hardcore games - whether good quality or bad - universally bomb, outside of platform-proof titles.

You forget that Nintendo has competitors. And their biggest "victory" this gen - if you can call it that - was that they DID cater to hardcore games and developers, and you know what? Consumers saw that, and developers saw that. And so even beyond the fact that they had predicted PS3 to win which hurt Wii early on, PS360 would have likely always been the go-to platform for hardcore games. Because it has the features hardcore gamers want, the power hardcore gamers want and because Sony and Microsoft marketed it that way.

And because developers can port across all platforms with ease. The biggest mistake for gimping the shit out of Wii's power was this.

In the end, what motivation exactly did these developers have to even START putting their biggest effort on Wii? Nintendo showed no desire for their support, and Sony and Microsoft did. And occasionally... they even paid for it.

Leondexter said:
But not all of it, and not the majority of it. I have no doubt that Nintendo is awful to work with, but these companies are responsible for their own decisions and product.

And the one MOST responsible for the Wii product - the very thing that defines the outline of how people will think about your software library - is Nintendo.

Trying to say it's even mostly developers fault is hilarious reflexive fanboy bullshit, in my opinion. Nintendo did not support developers, did not care about them, they marketed their system a certain way and their own software reflected that. For the first two years the Wii was a horrible thing for hardcore gamers. Again, there was no foundation built.

Nintendo defines how consumers look at the Wii, not other developers. They had to lead the way. They did lead the way - to a paradise of casual tardware which developers have no interest in making (or when they do, they make it poorly). Because it's NOT IN THEIR DNA. And they shouldn't have to lower their standards to such a catastrophically low place simply because Nintendo doesn't focus on it.

And a simple side note to this all: On the few occasions third party developers were really successful outside of platform-proof titles, it was with the casual games. Positive reinforcement and all that continually suggested to developers this is what the audience wanted. It's what they wanted when they purchased the Raving Rabbids games, or when they purchased Carnival Games, or EA Active or Just Dance.

In other words, developers are only being rewarded when they don't make hardcore games.

ElFly said:

Factually false.

EA has announced the absolute biggest franchises they have at their disposal for the 3DS. In fact, this is the same type of support they've thrown behind all the systems they ended up supporting the most.

Madden, FIFA and the Sims are what defines EA (incidentally, these franchises are bigger than Metal Gear Solid too). All the developers who announced support for the 3DS to date have done the same thing EA has - which is announce their absolute biggest franchises they have for the thing.

Because 3DS is so early, this actually IS the greatest level of support a company can show.

SquareEnix announced Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts.
EA announced Madden, FIFA and the Sims.
Atlus announced the Shin Megami Tensei series.
Capcom announced Resident Evil and Street Fighter.
Konami announced Pro Evolution Soccer, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Do you see a pattern? If you don't, it's because you're being willfully dense.
So I'll give you the answer:

EVERY developer currently announced has revealed their token maximum support via their Biggest Franchises for the 3DS. In essence, you literally cannot have a greater showing of support right out of the gate than 3DS has.

Eteric Rice said:
No idea what he's talking about in terms of Western support.

Call me when Bioware, Bethesda, etc announce support with their major franchises (Dragon Age, Fallout, Oblivion, etc.

Unless he means EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, which we all know will dump 10,000 pounds of shovelware on to the system.

Reading comprehension. I said any Western and Eastern developer currently announced has given their maximum support. The biggest ones have announced their support.

Companies like Bioware and Bethesda are not handheld companies. They are noteworthy Western companies who have to date shown very little interest in either DS or PSP or any other handheld platform. They've done very little on either handheld to date. Handheld development is not in their DNA.

Acting as if they have some sort of specific vendetta against the 3DS and that it's an affront they didn't announce something out of the gate (when there's tons of smaller developers both Japanese and Western who probably weren't even given dev kits at the early stage 3DS was unveiled) is hilarious and straight up fanboy bullshit.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
2Dcube said:

Nintendo started paying attention to what fans want when they announced Twilight Princess. Since then, they have been a much different company. We've got a new Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong Country and Metroid game, plus the 3DS looks to be more than capable graphically all the while innovating. What else could you ask from them in this department? They're even giving us a Kirby game! Rest assured a new Starfox, F-Zero and Pikmin will be released. The problem is the way the system is branded and the relationship with third parties. They need to market the next system (yes, it's too late for Wii) as a system for the casuals and hardcore. It shouldn't be hard to do since they have the momentum and brand recognition again.

I have little doubt that the next console will be graphically relevant. The problem is always going to be if they can get those third parties to come back. I think a good start would be to play off the nostalgia of third party games like Nintendo does with their own titles. Try to convince third parties to bring back old games like MegaMan, Castlevania, Contra, PacMan, etc. I'm sure they've had relative success on WiiWare, but a retail release would probably fare better. After that, you can hopefully bring in games like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. Before you know it Resident Evil and Call of Duty will pop up as well. They just need to get the ball rolling.

Boney

Banned
Guys Capcom followed on RE4Wii with this!

dead-rising-wii.jpg

goldenpp72

It seems to be as strong as ever with stuff like NMH2, tatsunoka, MH3, metroid, sin and punishment, etc all hitting this year, can't complain really.

Wasn't red steel 2 also this year

ElFly

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Er, why? Chaos Theory is better than MGS3, especially in multiplayer.

The Sims is more popular than both.

Game preference or popularity has nothing to do with the fact that sims and ct are straight ports at best, while MGS33D has new, better graphics and new features.

edit:

Amir0x said:
Factually false.

EA has announced the absolute biggest franchises they have at their disposal for the 3DS. In fact, this is the same type of support they've thrown behind all the systems they ended up supporting the most.

Madden, FIFA and the Sims are what defines EA (incidentally, these franchises are bigger than Metal Gear Solid too). All the developers who announced support for the 3DS to date have done the same thing EA has - which is announce their absolute biggest franchises they have for the thing.

Because 3DS is so early, this actually IS the greatest level of support a company can show.

SquareEnix announced Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts.
EA announced Madden, FIFA and the Sims.
Atlus announced the Shin Megami Tensei series.
Capcom announced Resident Evil and Street Fighter.
Konami announced Pro Evolution Soccer, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Do you see a pattern? If you don't, it's because you're being willfully dense.
So I'll give you the answer:

Most of these companies are japanese!

EA had Madden and the Sims for the DS launch. Wooo, a port of fifa, what a great improvement. e: they also had tiger woods DS, which hasn't been announced for 3DS apparently. So they are giving them the same support as to the DS, which is to say, nominal.

Also, at no point I have insulted you. Bolded part is completely unnecesary.

Amir0x

Banned
I didn't insult you. I said if you don't see the pattern you're being dense. I don't suspect you are dense, however, since the pattern is so obvious.

The pattern is explicit and clear. All the current announced developers have announced their biggest franchises, full stop.

Your little comment about how EA hasn't announced anything as big as A PORT OF METAL GEAR SOLID 3 is the biggest indicator that you haven't thought this through.

ElFly said:
So they are giving them the same support as to the DS, which is to say, nominal.

All three of the franchises EA announced for 3DS are bigger than MGS3 "Enhanced" Port. To say EA announcing their biggest franchises is "nominal" is to admit you are being willfully ignorant.

ElFly said:
Game preference or popularity has nothing to do with the fact that sims and ct are straight ports at best, while MGS33D has new, better graphics and new features.

How would they make a portable Sims 3 have better graphics than the PC versions exactly? By making it 3D, of course! :lol

Sims 3 3DS does have new features and is in fact as much of an "enhanced" port as MGS3D is.

You have not thought this through. At all. It's becoming more and more obvious with every post you make. STOP AND THINK before you post.

ElFly

One of the following games

-Chaos Theory (which was already ported to the DS)

-MGS33D

has been lauded as an impressive graphical improvement over the original, and the other has been ignored by everyone except its most hardcore fans.

Which one is a real effort and which one is token support on the level of the support already given to the DS is left as an exercise to the reader.

edit:
Amir0x said:
How would they make a portable Sims 3 have better graphics than the PC versions exactly? By making it 3D, of course! :lol
Better graphics are not the only possible enhancement for a game. Of course, much of GAF will disagree with this.

Amir0x said:
Sims 3 3DS does have new features and is in fact as much of an "enhanced" port as MGS3D is.

Bleh. Even the DS had the Urbz, which was more different from sims 2, than sims 3 3ds from sims 3 pc.

Fact is, EA is showing exactly the same support for the 3DS than they did for the DS. Is EA a notable publisher on the DS space? Hatsworth seems to be their only unique game, off the top of my head.

edit 2:
Amir0x said:
I didn't insult you. I said if you don't see the pattern you're being dense. I don't suspect you are dense, however, since the pattern is so obvious.

translation: if you disagree with me, you are dense!

Nice argument, Amir0x.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
kneejerk. One doesn't even have to look beyond my post to see how this isn't true.
Really? I was trying to make a joke, and I know I'm not funny.

But it's basically what the whiners were wanting, a "side" game in the RE series, were you you used pointer controls to shoot stuff. I know it doesn't carry the actual RE brand, and it was a shoddy port by TOSE, but that's how Capcom felt when it came to allocating the budget for the "succesor" of RE4Wii.

As you said, companies only had succes with hardcore games very early on, and wouldn't risk a from the ground up game, when they could easily bring the Dead Rising experience with a little spice of RE4. Now that the port didn't ended up as they expected doesn't mean Capcom was bringin a the Dead Rising franchise to the Wii.

But you know bro.. it was a joke...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
goldenpp72 said:
It seems to be as strong as ever with stuff like NMH2, tatsunoka, MH3, metroid, sin and punishment, etc all hitting this year, can't complain really.

Wasn't red steel 2 also this year

Yes, 2009 in its country of origin, first party marketed, first party, first party, started development in 2006. I listed every single* third party exclusive that hasn't been released yet in post #201, and the upcoming games are pretty much what people are talking about.

Amir0x

Banned
ElFly said:
Bleh. Even the DS had the Urbz, which was more different from sims 2, than sims 3 3ds from sims 3 pc.

Fact is, EA is showing exactly the same support for the 3DS than they did for the DS. Is EA a notable publisher on the DS space? Hatsworth seems to be their only unique game, off the top of my head.

The 3DS was just revealed when this list of games came out. Are you fucking serious with your arguments? The URBZ? Really? Jesus fucking Christ :lol

I can promise you that EA has announced a show of support that means they are as serious about 3DS development as any other Japanese developer. Madden, FIFA and Sims are their biggest franchises. By extension, that means all of the rest of their biggest shit will be coming to 3DS too down the line. That's the type of support they announce for ALL the systems they throw full weight behind.

And news flash: That includes DS. They have an infinity games released for the platform.

And I feel like it's necessary now, based on your comments, to also remind you that this is JUST the support announced on 3DS unveiling day. That's the earliest possible point any developer can reveal support. So if you believe that there isn't going to be tons of more support from every developer across the board, you're once more being willfully ignorant.

What this initial showing of support means is that these companies are behind 3DS in the biggest way possible.

ElFly said:
translation: if you disagree with me, you are dense!

Nice argument, Amir0x.

We're discussing facts now, real actual factual releases. If you're choosing to ignore these facts then yes, you're being dense. I didn't suspect you were dense since it's so obvious the pattern. It was a catch all to anyone choosing to be willfully ignorant, which you are seemingly now intent to choose.

Anyone who can make the argument that Madden, FIFA and Sims is "nominal support" while proclaiming the enhanced MSGS3 port as some special SUPER SUPPORT, is not thinking things through.

Even though Sims 3, to use this example, is an enhanced port too - new features, 3D graphics, etc. All of these franchises are significantly bigger than MGS3S. Your problem is that you're not really using logic to think about this... you're using your gut. Your proclaiming what matters and what doesn't based on the type of games you enjoy, not on what actually matters in the market (which is the only thing that is applicable to judge real support).

You probably think yearly iterations of Madden and FIFA are some affront to gaming, so you think that's token support. When in reality, that's as big of support as any company anywhere can give out of the gate.

Think before you post.

ElFly

Amir0x said:
The 3DS was just revealed when this list of games came out. Are you fucking serious with your arguments? The URBZ? Really? Jesus fucking Christ :lol

I can promise you that EA has announced a show of support that means they are as serious about 3DS development as any other Japanese developer. Madden, FIFA and Sims are their biggest franchises. By extension, that means all of the rest of their biggest shit will be coming to 3DS too down the line. That's the type of support they announce for ALL the systems they throw full weight behind.

And news flash: That includes DS. They have an infinity games released for the platform.

*shrug* I don't consider Electronic Arts a big player in the DS space. So, showing exactly the same support for the 3DS than for the DS does not fill me with confidence in them at all.

Just like you argued earlier than good, well known, popular games selling well on the Wii don't really count as an existing hardcore market on the Wii, I argue that bread and butter franchises like Madden, Fifa and Sims are not particularly impressive support. Yes, they sell well.

But they port them everywhere. Except the Dreamcast.

But including the N-Gage.

Amir0x

Banned
ElFly said:
Just like you argued earlier than good, well known, popular games selling well on the Wii don't really count as an existing hardcore market on the Wii, I argue that bread and butter franchises like Madden, Fifa and Sims are not particularly impressive support. Yes, they sell well.

No the argument I was making for Wii's lack of foundation building is distinct from this argument we're having now.

We're talking about which developers are showing big support. If SquareEnix made Madden, FIFA and Sims, you'd bet your ass that's what they would announce on day one. Instead, SquareEnix biggest franchises are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts. So they announced those as well. These franchises are just as much "token" as Madden, FIFA and Sims - which is to say, they're not token at all. They're the biggest things in these companies arsenal.

Now, years down the line once 3DS is out, if they never move beyond these franchises that would be something. One because it would defy logic - they release a new game on DS every fucking week. And two, because their announced support suggests otherwise. It says "we're going to treat the 3DS with the biggest shit we have", and that implies that they will be bringing more of their shit to 3DS as well.

ElFly

Ok, last post I am going to make on this.

Every console (again, not the dreamcast, but including the n-gage) gets Madden/Fifa/Sims. I guess the lack of Tiger Woods follows the scandal earlier this year. It's not surprising. How is this strong, distinct support? You talk about pattern recognition, but fail to see this pattern.

Not every console get Metal Gear. Kojima is stingy on this. (yes, every console get Pro Evo, so does the 3DS).

There's a difference between bringing new franchises, strange to the nintendo consumers outside of twin snakes (which IIRC didn't sell that well) and Brawl, and Riticello just yawning and saying "let the porting of our typical franchises begin".

I don't know how this is difficult to understand.

edit: not to mention how those EA ports will be surely made by obscure teams, or directly outsourced. Nothing says strong support like a bunch of interns porting games.

This is not to say that no Madden/FIFA game can ever be a sign of strong support. At one point, EA made a FIFA game for the 3DO that was particularly impressive, being one of the first with 3D graphics instead of sprites. But this is not what's happening with the 3DS and EA.

Amir0x said:
No the argument I was making for Wii's lack of foundation building is distinct from this argument we're having now.

We're talking about which developers are showing big support. If SquareEnix made Madden, FIFA and Sims, you'd bet your ass that's what they would announce on day one. Instead, SquareEnix biggest franchises are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts. So they announced those as well. These franchises are just as much "token" as Madden, FIFA and Sims - which is to say, they're not token at all. They're the biggest things in these companies arsenal.

Now, years down the line once 3DS is out, if they never move beyond these franchises that would be something. One because it would defy logic - they release a new game on DS every fucking week. And two, because their announced support suggests otherwise. It says "we're going to treat the 3DS with the biggest shit we have", and that implies that they will be bringing more of their shit to 3DS as well.

I think the distinction ElFly is trying to make is that Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. don't make it to every platform under the sun. They aren't as "token" as Madden, FIFA, etc.

I would be hesitant to consider the presence of a particular popular IP on the 3DS to be equivalent to quality support though. I mean, Assassin's Creed and CoD are both on the DS - neither are considered quality games since they aren't a fraction as good as the console versions.

I'm going to be skeptical of quality Western support on handhelds until I see it. Just like with the Wii and the DS, developers were saying all the right things leading up to their release. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.

Amir0x

Banned
ElFly said:
Not every console get Metal Gear. Kojima is stingy on this. (yes, every console get Pro Evo, so does the 3DS).

There's a difference between bringing new franchises, strange to the nintendo consumers outside of twin snakes (which IIRC didn't sell that well) and Brawl, and Riticello just yawning and saying "let the porting of our typical franchises begin".

So basically you're saying 3DS is getting as good of support from Konami as Gamecube got.

Gotcha.

THINK. THINGS. THROUGH.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:
So basically you're saying 3DS is getting as good of support from Konami as Gamecube got.

Gotcha.

THINK. THINGS. THROUGH.
Maybe.. but along with a bunch of other stuff as well...

Oh and anybody that sees those graphs and says Nintendo doesn't need 3rd parties is an idiot.

Personally I'm surprised that Nintendo doesn't make games targeted toward the 15-30 year old demographic. With the exception of Zelda, Smash Bros., and possibly Metroid, they don't really offer something for that age group. I mean Nintendo's whole strategy is to grab game players when they are mere children and have them stay with their platforms to the end. They offer plenty of games that appeal to kids and now plenty that appeal to adults, they're just missing the bridge between kid and adult. Not saying I want them to make Gears of Wario or some shit, but basically create more IP's similar to Zelda, Metroid, and Smash Bros. in their appeal.

AniHawk said:
A side note:
Wario Land did roughly in the realm of 350k-400k by my guess, probably thanks to NSMBW. The month NSMBW sold 2m or whatever it was, Wario basically doubled its LTD. That would mean it performed twice as good as Wario World, and probably did well enough to fund Kirby.

Wow so it didn't end up bombing after all. It's nice that Nintendo made a fully 2D platformer, it's just such a shame that the gameplay, primarily level design, was so mediocre.

Amir0x

Banned
ElFly said:
I am not saying that.
Reading Comprehension is not your forte.

That is -exactly- what you're saying, whether you intended it or not. Your commentary about my reading comprehension is more just admitting that you're still NOT THINKING THINGS THROUGH.

Your entire argument is that an "enhanced" port of MGS3 is somehow more important than an "enhanced" port of Sims (which is infinitely larger franchise than MGS), and more important than Madden (the single biggest sports franchise in the world) and FIFA (hugely important in European markets).

And you say Konami does not just announce such games for any platform, which is only incidentally true - Metal Gear Solid has long been considered a PlayStation platform title, and Sony has often helped and paid for such an honor. I doubt Sony really cares to prevent an enhanced port of a game PS2 got twenty five years ago from coming.

And yet Gamecube got Twin Snakes, which was not just a enhanced port... but an REMAKE of the first and arguably most important of all Metal Gear Solid titles. They even got a fairly reputable western developer, Silicon Knights, to work on it. And did that mean Konami was super serious about Gamecube? Of course not.

Boney

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
Wow so it didn't end up bombing after all. It's nice that Nintendo made a fully 2D platformer, it's just such a shame that the gameplay, primarily level design, was so mediocre.
You didn't go for the missions right?

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah Wario's level design is tailor made to take advantage of the missions, and the game rotates on that point. It's a fantastic little game.

ElFly

Amir0x said:
That is -exactly- what you're saying, whether you intended it or not. Your commentary about my reading comprehension is more just admitting that you're still NOT THINKING THINGS THROUGH.

Your entire argument is that an "enhanced" port of MGS3 is somehow more important than an "enhanced" port of Sims (which is infinitely larger franchise than MGS), and more important than Madden (the single biggest sports franchise in the world) and FIFA (hugely important in European markets).

And you say Konami does not just announce such games for any platform, which is only incidentally true - Metal Gear Solid has long been considered a PlayStation platform title, and Sony has often helped and paid for such an honor. I doubt Sony really cares to prevent an enhanced port of a game PS2 got twenty five years ago from coming.

And yet Gamecube got Twin Snakes, which was not just a enhanced port... but an REMAKE of the first and arguably most important of all Metal Gear Solid titles. They even got a fairly reputable western developer, Silicon Knights, to work on it. And did that mean Konami was super srerious about Gamecube? Of course not.

Ok, last post ever, to answer this terrible strawman.

A Madden game made by EA Elbonia is not strong support. It's the exact same thing every console that's not the one they are going to devote their strongest efforts that generation gets. Pattern recognition.

A MGS game made by SK is better support than nothing. Better than token Madden game? debatable.

A MGS game made by konami itself is strong support. Period. Look at the PSP. Initially it got MGS Acid, a weak spinoff game. But that eventually lead to two proper MGS games, one of which kojima considers mgs 5. Let's apply pattern recognition. Instead of a spin off, the 3DS gets, off the gate, a proper (if remade) MGS. Sounds familiar?

edit: to the gaffer below. Yes, having the annual sport franchises is important. However, is not as important as you'd think. The PSP MGSs both sold more than a million copies, while the DS Maddens never got mentioned anywhere, which leads me to believe they never sold more than 400K copies each (around what the lowerest mentioned Madden gets (the wii one)).

Which makes the MGS franchise on the portable space probably more important than madden, given how it's not outsourced (most portable madden games are made by exient), how it's bound to sell better, and how there's actual effort put into them.

Bottom line: If you want to compare Madden 3DS and MGS33D as the same level of support, you have to explain how the fuck do you expect madden 3DS will sell more than MGS, why the fuck do you think it will be handled by the main Madden team instead of being outsourced, and why do you think it is a unique entry into the madden franchise.

Sadist

From a "core" perspective MGS is good support. But if EA isn't backing the platform with it's yearly releases, there is something wrong with your platform. Not to take away any relevance regarding MGS, but as a brandname in America Madden is huge and important in the eyes of many. Same goes for FIFA and the Sims.

Also don't understand the cries for "serious" western support and naming devs like BioWare or Bethseda. These devs aren't handheld focussed, so why bother asking for their games on 3DS?

Amir0x

Banned
ElFly said:
A Madden game made by EA Elbonia is not strong support. It's the exact same thing every console that's not the one they are going to devote their strongest efforts that generation gets. Pattern recognition.

You have no idea who Madden 3DS is made by. Next.

ElFly said:
A MGS game made by SK is better support than nothing. Better than token Madden game? debatable.

Not just an enhanced port, but an entire remake made by a reputable Western Developer with direct guidance from Kojima and Miyamoto. This is easily as large, if not larger than what they've currently announced for 3DS.

ElFly said:
A MGS game made by konami itself is strong support. Period. Look at the PSP. Initially it got MGS Acid, a weak spinoff game. But that eventually lead to two proper MGS games, one of which kojima considers mgs 5. Let's apply pattern recognition. Instead of a spin off, the 3DS gets, off the gate, a proper (if remade) MGS. Sounds familiar?

It does sound familiar. It sounds a lot like Twin Snakes on Gamecube. The only real difference is time frame, in that Konami announced it a little while into the Gamecube's life.

"Strong support" is not an enhanced port of a game that came out on PS2 years ago. Much less is that "stronger support" than what EA has announced so far.

Your argument is empty.

ElFly

I made an edit to my earlier post. Answer the bottom line argument point by point or surrender.

Konami itself making a MGS game, announced before launch, for a portable system, sounds exactly, EXACTLY the same as MGS Acid. Doesn't sound at all as an outsourced game, in the middle of the life span of a CONSOLE. I don't know how you can confuse MGS33D with TS.

Eteric Rice

Neither are really strong.

Hell, EA puts Madden on anything that has a screen. And MGS3, while cool, is just an enhanced port.

Until I see stuff from actual non-yearly franchises, I'm just going to assume that support will be similar to the DS.

Though, on that financial thing EA put out, Dead Space 2 had consoles/handhelds/mobile on it, so I could be wrong.

wazoo

Parmenides said:
Yeah.

(*) Nintendo expects Wii sales to decline again this fiscal year (aka FY 5) to 18 million units while software titles for the Wii slide 14% to 165 million units.

I hope droping to 18M is not the sign you see for a new console, because I do not think (from memory) ps3 or X360 has shipped that many consoles in any past year.

wazoo said:
I hope droping to 18M is not the sign you see for a new console, because I do not think (from memory) ps3 or X360 has shipped that many consoles in any past year.

I guess it comes down to whether Nintendo thinks it can make more money with a new console. By all accounts, the Wii has already peaked. They've presumably already sunk a good deal of money into R&D for next gen so it makes sense to glean some profit from that research.
of course, we don't know how much of that is the 3DS vs Wii2

Mindshare (from a 3rd party perspective) is probably a minor issue since I don't think it can get much worse at this point .

onipex

I still don't buy it. Simply because the same claim is made each year. If you keep making the same claim you have to be right some time though ,right? Same claim was made last year even after the first half of this years line up was known.

Sadist

ElFly said:
edit: to the gaffer below. Yes, having the annual sport franchises is important. However, is not as important as you'd think. The PSP MGSs both sold more than a million copies, while the DS Maddens never got mentioned anywhere, which leads me to believe they never sold more than 400K copies each (around what the lowerest mentioned Madden gets (the wii one)).

Which makes the MGS franchise on the portable space probably more important than madden, given how it's not outsourced (most portable madden games are made by exient), how it's bound to sell better, and how there's actual effort put into them.

Bottom line: If you want to compare Madden 3DS and MGS33D as the same level of support, you have to explain how the fuck do you expect madden 3DS will sell more than MGS, why the fuck do you think it will be handled by the main Madden team instead of being outsourced, and why do you think it is a unique entry into the madden franchise.
MGS might sell more, but what about development costs? I assume that MGS had a bigger budget compared to the Madden games available on portables. Look, your argument is all about sales power and the main team developing these type of games. That's not my point. My point is that it doesn't matter which game will sell millions or which team is handeling it. It's about support in general.

The 3DS as a new handheld needs all the support it can get and for a starting/future line-up, every game announcement is worth something. It doesn't matter if it's MGS 3DS, RE Revelations or Madden '11, Assassin's Creed 3DS. They're all big names and when your new portable has big names, your new gadget will be the talk of the town.

Jokeropia

Amir0x said:
You're not advocating it, but you keep suggesting it. By what magic should Red Steel 2 have come out even quicker and sucked even harder?
Well, as you may be aware, Resistance for PS3 was released at the same time as Red Steel, but got a sequel ~1.5 years before Red Steel 2 came out.
Amir0x said:
You're sitting here whining about the fact that the system isn't getting any more RE4-style games, which is apparently your singular, only real complaint.
I can't speak for Leondexter, but that's personally my only real complaint as it's the genre I see the most underserved potential. I don't care if the foundation had only been made for that exact type of games, as it's the only type I really miss.
wazoo said:
That is correct. It would also keep it ahead of PS2.

Opiate

wazoo said:

I've mentioned this before, but it's not simply the size of the curve which predicts a refresh, it's the shape. So, for example, a system that sells like this:

Year 1: 10M
Year 2: 20M
Year 3: 25M
Year 4: 20M
Year 5: 15M
Year 6: 10M

Is likely to replaced faster than a system that sells like this:

Year 1: 7M
Year 2: 10M
Year 3: 11M
Year 4: 12M
Year 5: 13M
Year 6: 14M

Even though the first has sold vastly more hardware. While the Wii is slowing down (which is normal for a system -- although it's slowing down far faster than previous generational winners have), the 360 and PS3 aren't slowing down at all, with the PS3 perhaps selling better now than ever before, even though it's 4 years old.

Yes, the Wii has and will ultimately sell more systems LTD. But it's burning brighter and faster. And yes, this is almost entirely a consequence of poor third party support. I place most of the blame for those missed opportunities on third parties, but others place most of the blame on Nintendo, and there is legitimate reason to do so. Whoever you "blame" for the Wii's problems, however -- the real point I'm making is that these problems are real and are only going to get worse, no matter who you fault.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Amir0x said:
It does sound familiar. It sounds a lot like Twin Snakes on Gamecube. The only real difference is time frame, in that Konami announced it a little while into the Gamecube's life.

"Strong support" is not an enhanced port of a game that came out on PS2 years ago. Much less is that "stronger support" than what EA has announced so far.

Your argument is empty.
Kojima didn't make the GC game, but he is working on the 3DS - well, at least the tech demo. That's a pretty significant sign considering he hasn't touched anything other than a Sony system for well over a decade. Konami also has Castlevania, Contra and Frogger coming for 3DS IIRC. In either case, Nintendo handhelds have seen better third party support than their console brethren, so I don't see how this has anything to do with the Wii. Third party support on 3DS is already blowing Wiis support out of the water and it hasn't even been released yet.

legend166

THQ making Saints Row 3DS with the marketing budget of Saints Row 3 tells me all I need to know about western 3rd party 3DS support.

Parmenides said:
Hardware Shipments

Hardware_thumb.jpg

(*) Nintendo expects Wii sales to decline again this fiscal year (aka FY 5) to 18 million units while software titles for the Wii slide 14% to 165 million units.
Visually it makes it look like Wii has peaked a year sooner, that's not quite the case since thanks to very different launch timing that's a preeeetty loose comparison.

PS2 fiscal year 2 includes (with a bit of rounding)
Japan months 2-13
NA months 1-5
EU months 1-4

Wii fiscal year 2 includes (with a bit of rounding)
Japan months 5-16
NA months 5-16
EU months 5-16

To toss another "hard to directly compare" wrench into things, are those the old production numbers Sony used to give as shipped? I know when they switch methods they're not exactly great about providing new old data.

Top Bottom